Voices of Iraq

6.8

1. LarryS.
    Nov 1, 2004
    This movie comes on as a progressive film, and yet was funded by right-wing organizations. I don't appreciate this disingenious come-on. After about half an hour the film becomes carefully selected clips to promote the fairy tale of Iraqis dancing in the streets, welcoming U.S. occupation. After 450 hours of footage, all the editors could come up with is less than 1 hour of Iraqis This movie comes on as a progressive film, and yet was funded by right-wing organizations. I don't appreciate this disingenious come-on. After about half an hour the film becomes carefully selected clips to promote the fairy tale of Iraqis dancing in the streets, welcoming U.S. occupation. After 450 hours of footage, all the editors could come up with is less than 1 hour of Iraqis willing to smile to the camera and say everything is fine. I hope anyone viewing this will keep this in mind, along with who funded it. I'm just tired of propaganda, from wherever it comes. It is about as artistically satisfying as hearing John Ashcroft sing, but at least Ashcroft doesn't claim it wasn't him doing the singing. Expand

It's certainly important for American leftists to consider that many Iraqis have benefited from the war that we oppose, but the omission of historical context here misrepresents the checkered history of American involvement in the region.
  2. The overall effect is scintillating and very engaging -- literally history in the making.
  3. If this film cannot claim to represent the political "truth" about the war - what film could? - it certainly provides a broad glimpse of daily life in Iraq.