Volver

8.7

1. May 30, 2016
    Another great movie from my fave writer/director Pedro Almodovar. His movies are always so quirky and engrossing.

Watch it online for free: http://www.watchfree.to/watch-15e2-Volver-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  2. Jul 22, 2013
    With a predominantly female cast, the story is unveiled in quite a refreshing and unusual way. I have to admit I did like the way everything was taken in a very practical way. No navel gazing going on here! All the performances were excellent with Penélope Cruz showing us just what a great actress she is, this time in her native tongue. Although I felt it was good, I didn’t feel it wasWith a predominantly female cast, the story is unveiled in quite a refreshing and unusual way. I have to admit I did like the way everything was taken in a very practical way. No navel gazing going on here! All the performances were excellent with Penélope Cruz showing us just what a great actress she is, this time in her native tongue. Although I felt it was good, I didn’t feel it was great; maybe a second viewing at a later date might knock it over that level, but for now, it didn’t quite get over the line. Still, there is much to admire here and I’m glad I took the time to give it a look.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.4/10
  3. Mar 30, 2013
    Obra maestra de Pedro Almodóvar, ofreciendo una historia totalmente dramática con el saber hacer de 4 buenísimas actrices españolas, como son Penélope Cruz, Carmen Maura, Lola Dueñas y Blanca Portillo. Preciosa la interpretación de Pe cantando Voler de Estrella Morente.
  4. Oct 3, 2012
    With the help of excellent actresses and great plots we watch the film and remain speechless. Especially Carmen Maura in the role of the mother is a masterpiece. Cruz, the muse of Almodovar, is a natural force of the character, which she created. Colourful scenery, which is an excellent choice, contrasts with full of ridiculous or scary ideas. The scenario still surprises spectator. It isWith the help of excellent actresses and great plots we watch the film and remain speechless. Especially Carmen Maura in the role of the mother is a masterpiece. Cruz, the muse of Almodovar, is a natural force of the character, which she created. Colourful scenery, which is an excellent choice, contrasts with full of ridiculous or scary ideas. The scenario still surprises spectator. It is hard to find as good as here analyse of women Expand
  5. LuisG.
    Mar 9, 2008
    Cruz finally won me over. She conveys so much poise and here she shines. Great ensemble, Almodovar really knows his woman characters a true male feminist. Cruz should of won the academy award.
  6. DavidS.
    Feb 27, 2008
    Right up there with All About My Mother as Almodovar's best film - he seems to get better and better. Like his recent work, this is mature stuff - exploring the complex web of relationships of two sisters and a myriad cast of characters and the mystery surrounding their monster death. Almodovar takes in melodrama, humour, noir and fantasy with ease constructing a truly original, Right up there with All About My Mother as Almodovar's best film - he seems to get better and better. Like his recent work, this is mature stuff - exploring the complex web of relationships of two sisters and a myriad cast of characters and the mystery surrounding their monster death. Almodovar takes in melodrama, humour, noir and fantasy with ease constructing a truly original, heartfelt and flawless work, including a sensational musical performance by Cruz midway through. Expand
  7. MarkK.
    Jun 24, 2007
    I didn't want to watch this film -- or like it -- thinking it was a "chick-flick." Was I wrong! Very intelligent with surprises and good twists, with great directing. Penelope Cruz is at her best here.
  8. MichaelB.
    Jun 8, 2007
    Not a single wasted moment.
  9. ChristopherW.
    May 8, 2007
    The immortal Almodovar is one of my very favorite directors, definitely in my top five. He's made five bonafide masterpieces in a row, 'Live Flesh,' 'All About my Mother, 'Talk to Her,' Bad Education,' and now 'Volver.' There is simply no other director like him in modern fillmaking. His films are sublime, rich in character, funny, eccentric, The immortal Almodovar is one of my very favorite directors, definitely in my top five. He's made five bonafide masterpieces in a row, 'Live Flesh,' 'All About my Mother, 'Talk to Her,' Bad Education,' and now 'Volver.' There is simply no other director like him in modern fillmaking. His films are sublime, rich in character, funny, eccentric, and unforgettable. 'Volver' is no exception. Highest recommendation! Expand
  10. ChipL.
    Feb 14, 2007
    This movie is all story and it's a lovely one at that. I didn't want it to end because I wanted to know more about every one of the characters. Why can't more American movies have a good story instead of helicopters and explosions?
  11. BenA.
    Feb 11, 2007
    One of the best movies of the year. I like the Fellini references, but Almodovar keeps things tight and short, unlike the Italian master. Playful, endearing, and packed with great performances, this movie is a must see. People like Daniel D obviously don't know anything about film, and look for improbabilities in a narrative to decide wheather its a good movie or not. I'll give One of the best movies of the year. I like the Fellini references, but Almodovar keeps things tight and short, unlike the Italian master. Playful, endearing, and packed with great performances, this movie is a must see. People like Daniel D obviously don't know anything about film, and look for improbabilities in a narrative to decide wheather its a good movie or not. I'll give you a hint. Movies are more than just trying to be realistic. Expand
  12. VictorB.
    Feb 9, 2007
    This is one of the greatest films of Almodovar. Everything he does shines itself. It seems as he has a magic wand with wich he fills all his movies with realistic and understanding feeling, however unlikely his stories could sound. It's the best film maker in years. I'm a Spanish film lover, and here, in Spain, lots of people don't like how he manage to tell his films. But This is one of the greatest films of Almodovar. Everything he does shines itself. It seems as he has a magic wand with wich he fills all his movies with realistic and understanding feeling, however unlikely his stories could sound. It's the best film maker in years. I'm a Spanish film lover, and here, in Spain, lots of people don't like how he manage to tell his films. But here theres a lot of envy and when one of our citizens is a genius, instead of admiring him, we just say he is not good enough, he is not realistic...too many worda with no sense!! It's a beautiful film. A must-see. A masterpiece of a mature director. Expand
  13. RobertI.
    Jan 28, 2007
    Almodovar sprinkles us with movie magic, suspending belief while tugging at reason and emotion and the dreamworld, in a small film resonant of Federico Fellini, his obvious muse. Welcome back to the movies.
  14. ReidF.
    Jan 27, 2007
    Pedro Almodovar may be the best movie director alive, and only he could include murder, rape, incest, and arson in a tremendously entertaining vehicle. Hitchcockian in nature, this movie tackles these difficult subjects with a series of beautifully framed scenes and intersecting story lines. Penelope Cruz provides a career performance in this hauntingly superb, Spanish-language film.
  15. MaxS.
    Jan 26, 2007
    Quite an interesting movie. While most of the movie, was both truly enjoyable and bizarre at the same time, the director deftly wrapped up the movie. Upon looking back at each event in the movie, the viewer can make sense of each scene for its significance to the outcome of the movie. A must-see.
  16. Nadie
    Jan 15, 2007
    Almodovar is the only movie director that can make the most unusual and crazy situation feel like every day life. He really knows how to extract the best performances from female actors. The
  17. HarryP.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Minor Almodovar. And a bit messy in tying the strands together. Moments of the old mastery show through, but it's over when the mother and daughter reconcile. But, regrettably it wasn't over till it was.
  18. BillyS.
    Jan 13, 2007
    Though I don't consider Volver to be Almodovar's best film to date, it is easily his most accessible. Volver is the closest he will probably ever come to a "conventional Hollywood" comedy. With an ensemble cast of mostly all actresses lead by the Radiant Penelope Cruz, Almodovar has written his sharpest, funniest screenplay yet, holding back on his usual outrageous elements in Though I don't consider Volver to be Almodovar's best film to date, it is easily his most accessible. Volver is the closest he will probably ever come to a "conventional Hollywood" comedy. With an ensemble cast of mostly all actresses lead by the Radiant Penelope Cruz, Almodovar has written his sharpest, funniest screenplay yet, holding back on his usual outrageous elements in order to let the talented ladies of the cast work their magic with his words. This is clearly Cruz's best performance to date, and her love and trust for Pedro is evident in every frame, the same holds true for Carmen Maura, Yohana Cobo, Blanca Portillo and Lola Duenas who are all given ample screen time to shine as well. You can count on seeing the names Penelope Cruz and Pedro Almodovar on your Oscar Pool Ballots for 2006!! Expand
  19. JavsA.
    Jan 11, 2007
    Best film by Almodovar. It does a magnificent job at capturing the emotions of the characters and of the Spanish people.
  20. ScottS.
    Jan 5, 2007
    Wonderful movie. Funny, sad, with strong female characters and great acting. Penelope Cruz is fantastic in this.
  21. luisv
    Dec 29, 2006
    Ya era necesario una película diferente y siempre se agredece un guíon original. Cuando pensamos que Almodovar ha´bia hecho todo lo que podía nos sorprende con esta película muy bien lograda. Bien por Pedro Amodovar.
  22. DanC.
    Dec 28, 2006
    Wonderfully real yet magical film. Penelope Cruz is a tremendous screen presence when acting in Spanish - the polar opposite of her performances in English. See it.
  23. FrennB
    Dec 27, 2006
    The guy's done it again. After a pretty weak "Bad education", which made me remember why I usually go to watch his movies in apprehension, Almodovar gives us yet another master piece. I tend not to go for the mixing of ghosts, and the unreal, with real life, but this movie pulls it off brilliantly. Cruz is, besides to-die-for gorgeous, at her very best acting level, in a performance The guy's done it again. After a pretty weak "Bad education", which made me remember why I usually go to watch his movies in apprehension, Almodovar gives us yet another master piece. I tend not to go for the mixing of ghosts, and the unreal, with real life, but this movie pulls it off brilliantly. Cruz is, besides to-die-for gorgeous, at her very best acting level, in a performance brimming with talenet and "justesse". And the rest of the cast does not lag behind. A joy to watch, a must-see, even for those who are not fans of this director/actress. Believe me, you won't regret it. Expand
  24. AnjelOne
    Dec 24, 2006
    This film is somehow lighthearted and complex at the same time. This goes with the characters, the plot, the scenes, all of it. I don't know about it being a chick flick, but it is definitely dark enough for those who want depth and light enough for those who want wonder. Even though it ends abruptly, it finishes completely.
  25. scotth
    Dec 23, 2006
    Funny movie in that absurd Almodovar way. Very subtle - but definitely not one of his best.
  26. BJNichols
    Dec 12, 2006
    Wonderful all around.
  27. BilB
    Dec 10, 2006
    Excellent chick flick! I loved it.
  28. Harry
    Dec 9, 2006
    Almodóvar's "Volver" is a very unique motion picture. The film had an amazing and very original story and was delivered in a fresh-dialogued screenplay. The story of a ghost that visits the village full of women is simply shocking and poetic at the same time. The shots of the film were simply magical. They were beautiful and had great colors all over them. The acting was Almodóvar's "Volver" is a very unique motion picture. The film had an amazing and very original story and was delivered in a fresh-dialogued screenplay. The story of a ghost that visits the village full of women is simply shocking and poetic at the same time. The shots of the film were simply magical. They were beautiful and had great colors all over them. The acting was outsanding specially Penelope Cruz as a woman, who's mother died in an accident and is about to reveal a thruth about her daughter, an abused girl. She gave powerful performing moments specially when she discovers that her daughter killed a man who tried to abuse her or when she sang "Volver". The music was well selected too. The only problem of the film is that it had a few editing problems. I would've ended the film with Cruz hugging Maura. Overall: Almodóvar is a wizard and made a magical work of art that should be honored come Oscar time. Expand
  29. LaurenB.
    Dec 3, 2006
    Beautifully made movie - the best Almodovar to date. He takes on women in a new way in this film, all the characters have a natural and profound depth. Bravo!
  30. NancyH
    Dec 1, 2006
    Pleasantly surprised by this movie--not as morbid as his others. Terrifically acted by all, including Penelope Cruz--strikingly like a young Sophia Loren. The one-liners are terrific. Must see.
  31. JoeU.
    Nov 28, 2006
    Almodovar is not just a great director, but also a great writer. And, most difficult of all a great creator of great and clever stories. In recent times, when there's no inspiration, more and more films are based on situations, dialog, or production values, and the actual story can be told in one sentence. It is difficult to find good writers of good stories. Almodovar writes great, Almodovar is not just a great director, but also a great writer. And, most difficult of all a great creator of great and clever stories. In recent times, when there's no inspiration, more and more films are based on situations, dialog, or production values, and the actual story can be told in one sentence. It is difficult to find good writers of good stories. Almodovar writes great, complex stories, and and is a great story-teller and film director. Expand
  32. JulianM.
    Nov 23, 2006
    As good as "All About My Mother" and that's saying a lot. This is a humane, funny movie the glides on top of tragedy - a 50's studio film updated and improved. The acting, story, camera work, all are top notch. I really don't like what Penelope Cruz has done in English language films but here she nails it.
  33. JimG.
    Nov 23, 2006
    While I enjoyed Almodóvar's "La Mala Educación," it is refreshing to see his return to strong female characters. And the ensemble of wonderful actresses (from Chus Lampreave to the newcomer Yohana Cobo) does not disappoint. With the exception of a bit of lip synching, it was a pleasure to watch.
  34. FernandoS.
    Nov 22, 2006
    Just perfect.
  35. GeorgeB.
    Nov 20, 2006
    One of the best pictures of the year. Funny, beautiful and woderful masterpiece. Great Penelope.
  36. richardd.
    Nov 19, 2006
    Superb! Fabulous writing, great acting, and the brightest, funniest, sharpest, warmest movie possible about a family's tragedies.
  37. JessicaL.
    Nov 13, 2006
    This was the best movie I've seen in the past two years.
  38. davido.
    Nov 8, 2006
    A Maestro´s masterpice, a colored definition of the women courage.
  39. Scott
    Nov 7, 2006
    Penelope Cruz is FABULOUS in this and the film is amazing.
  40. AnneH.
    Nov 6, 2006
    My favorite film by Almodovar. I laughed a lot. He is unique.
  41. YvonneS.
    Nov 6, 2006
    If you think Almodovar is the best filmmaker nowadays, you have to see this masterpiece.
  42. BelindaM.
    Terrific. Superb.
  43. MariaM.
    Nov 5, 2006
    Probablemente la mejor pelicula del año. Penelope impresionante igual que Carmen Maura. Almodovar demuestra una vez mas que es el mejor director vivo del mundo. A pesar de que imperdonablemente aun no le concedieran el Oscar a mejor director. No importa sus fans que somos millones en todo el mundo, ya lo consideramos el mas grande.
  44. AnaG.
    Nov 5, 2006
    Masterpiece .For me,the best fim of the year. Penelope is great in Volver. I hope Oscar nominations for Volver, Almodovar and Penelope Cruz!!
  45. AaronS.
    Nov 3, 2006
    This isn't just the best foreign language release in 2006, it's one of the best films of the the year. Cruz is utterly wonderful in this and Almodovar's genuine love of women shines through beautifully. Full of surprising twists, charming wit and outstanding acting all around, 'Volver' is Almodovar firing on all cylindars. This may be a smaller film than 'All This isn't just the best foreign language release in 2006, it's one of the best films of the the year. Cruz is utterly wonderful in this and Almodovar's genuine love of women shines through beautifully. Full of surprising twists, charming wit and outstanding acting all around, 'Volver' is Almodovar firing on all cylindars. This may be a smaller film than 'All About My Mother' and 'Talk to Her' were, but it's just as rewarding. Masterful. Collapse
  46. CarolineE.
    Nov 3, 2006
    Amazing performances. Penélope Cruz is always great in Almodóvar's films, but "Volver" is her revelation as the best Spanish actress.
  47. CamilleM.
    Nov 3, 2006
    "Volver" is a present, a precious piece of heaven. Mr. Almodovar's style is perfect, full of passion. Does it deserve an Oscar Award nomination for Best Picture? Sure.
  48. DerekS.
    Nov 3, 2006
    You will not know whether it is a comedy or a drama. Almodóvar's new story will make you laugh and cry. His script is almost perfect and Penélope Cruz, the best actress of the year.
  49. NicoleM.
    Nov 3, 2006
    Penélope Cruz is a goddess. She is lovely in 'Volver' and deserves all the awards this year.
  50. PeterMeadow
    Nov 3, 2006
    When I see Almodóvar's pictures, I come into a new perception of life, a fantastic world in which the Spanish filmmaker shows us a new concept of women's feelings and demonstrates he is a master, a genius.
  51. AmandaS.
    Nov 3, 2006
    "Volver" is a new masterpiece by Almodóvar. Penélope Cruz shows her best performance and Almodóvar signs one of his best scripts.
  52. LucieMarton
    Nov 3, 2006
    I loved Penélope Cruz's role. She's wonderful. It has become my favourite Almodóvar's film. You've got to see it!
  53. D.Z.
    Nov 1, 2006
    Volver is an extravaganza in which Cruz has detached herself fully from her typecast roles of sexy neighbor, to a leading film actress. A transformation of water to wine: to be perfectly honest. Pay particular attention to the monologue the elder mother recites to Cruz; and to Cruz's daughter's actions .
  54. MaryN.
    Oct 31, 2006
    I have been able to see "Volver" today. People who attend the special screening were nervous because Almodóvar's films are loved in the US. After the show, I proved everyone enjoyed a lot with this new story of Spanish filmmaker. I really got surprised with Penélope Cruz's performance!
  55. AnnM.
    Oct 31, 2006
    Almodóvar faces a new opportunity to win an Oscar Award for "Volver" screenplay. This new film reminds me of "All About My Mother" or "Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown". I think Almodóvar's characters are full of love and passion. I love his style because it's eternal.
  56. SarahW.
    Oct 31, 2006
    Great Penelope Cruz. Almodovar's new film is a ghost tale in which nothing is as we think at the beginning. I cried, I laughed. I love this one as much as 'Talk to He' or 'All about my Mother'.
  57. BrettR
    Oct 31, 2006
    La mejora pelicula de Almodovar! An amazing film that left me wanting to immediately see it again. Penelope Cruz is a revelation in her native language and is reminiscent of past Sophia Loren roles. Highly recommended for those who are and who are not fans of Almodovar or foreign films. Captivating.

Part noir-comedy, part ghost story, but it's mostly a potent reflection on how where we come from shapes us, in ways we can't understand until we've been away for a long, long while.
  2. It's very difficult to mesh fantasy with reality, but with great charm and a light touch, Almodovar shows exactly how it should be done.
    Peopled with superbly drawn, attractive characters smoothly integrated into a well-turned, low-tricks plotline, Volver may rep Almodovar's most conventional piece to date, but it is also his most reflective, a subdued, sometimes intense and often comic homecoming that celebrates the pueblo and people that shaped his imagination.