Waitress

7.5

1. FrankD
    Feb 22, 2008
    The good news: Keri Russell is luminous! The camera loves her. I rented this movie for two reasons: 1) out of curiosity for tragically slain director/screenwriter/actor Adrienne Shelly; and 2) the high ranking from Metacritics. I understand how critics wanted to offer a sensitive assessment for Shelly's post-murder release, but please! This movie is quite poor! It simply has little The good news: Keri Russell is luminous! The camera loves her. I rented this movie for two reasons: 1) out of curiosity for tragically slain director/screenwriter/actor Adrienne Shelly; and 2) the high ranking from Metacritics. I understand how critics wanted to offer a sensitive assessment for Shelly's post-murder release, but please! This movie is quite poor! It simply has little or no psychological logic. It makes no sense that the lead character can be assertive with her doctor and others, and yet cannot stand up to her controlling/abusive husband (until she holds her newborn). Why does she just now meet the diner's long-term owner, Old Joe? She is obviously pivotal to his business -- as the central and essential pie-maker -- but her barely seems to know of her before the film begins. (And by the way, she seems to be a one-woman pie factory, but also has time to wait tables.) The whole movie lacks logic and multiple levels, and serves up every possible negative cliche regarding "small town" folk. Shelly might have indeed made some decent films had she lived, but this is not one of them. Expand
  2. JimmyS.
    Jan 6, 2008
    What's the message of this little movie? - Motherhood is the only way to exist for a woman. Very narrow-minded, very conservative.
  3. GrazziY.
    Mar 10, 2008
    One of the very worst movies I've seen in years. The dialogue is beyond ludicrous, unless everyone in small southern towns cannot master basic grammar (wrong double negatives abound!) Everything is foreshadowed to such a ludicrous degree that you can't believe it when it actually HAPPENS JUST THAT WAY. And, in the center of it all is a strains-credulity-completely, illicit One of the very worst movies I've seen in years. The dialogue is beyond ludicrous, unless everyone in small southern towns cannot master basic grammar (wrong double negatives abound!) Everything is foreshadowed to such a ludicrous degree that you can't believe it when it actually HAPPENS JUST THAT WAY. And, in the center of it all is a strains-credulity-completely, illicit affair between a pregnant woman and her married doctor, played for laughs. Andy Griffith is superb; Keri Russell, well, let's just say this was not the role she was born to play. Collapse
  4. MarkM.
    Dec 7, 2007
    I'm amazed at the high marks - this movie is quite bad. My wife 1/3 way through states "I'm waiting for someone who can act" and really that sums this up. Personally, I thought the major problems were with tone, with ill-conceived flourishes of music and sensual pie-making collages throughout. Try "Junebug" if you are looking for a small town dramedy or "Hairspray" for 10x the fun.
  5. Gene
    Jun 10, 2007
    I haven't walked out on a movie in a long time, but I did on this one. Nothing rings true. Plot points are beaten over the head with cliche music. It might make a passable Hallmark movie of the week. Might.
  6. ShannonP.
    Jan 10, 2008
    Very over-rated. Also, very inauthentic unless one thinks most people from small towns are dumb. The script is based on the central premise that people are essentially bad, especially men and children, but fortunately is too disconnected from anything real to be that depressing. Besides that, to warm the unearned cynicism are several stunningly sentimental cliches, including a crusty but Very over-rated. Also, very inauthentic unless one thinks most people from small towns are dumb. The script is based on the central premise that people are essentially bad, especially men and children, but fortunately is too disconnected from anything real to be that depressing. Besides that, to warm the unearned cynicism are several stunningly sentimental cliches, including a crusty but lovably world-wise old man who dies of cancer, and a woman who is redeemed by a child she didn't want. Skip this one unless you're a beautiful and selfish young woman stuck in a marriage with a moronic monster and you need a cartoon character to identify with. Expand
  7. MichaelB
    Apr 25, 2007
    This film included hackneyed elements and unremarkable characters aplenty. Worst of all, I found it to be rather boring throughout long stretches.
  8. JohnB.
    May 12, 2007
    I think this movie is probably a 3 or a 4, but I gave it a zero to cournter balance the overly inflated scores because the director died. It's sad, yes, but the movie is REALLY mediocre. Keep up the lame illusion that this is the best movie of the year and it will rob a deserving movie of an Oscar Nod. Get over it. It isn't that good.
  9. DarlaM
    Aug 12, 2007
    Crap movie. Totally sexist and awful. When does having a baby allow you a way out of an awful marriage? In reality, the baby would have kept in that marriage longer.
  10. liz
    Jan 19, 2011
    Awful, truly awful, this was without a doubt the worst film I've ever seen. I can't get that incessant pie song out of my head... gonna make a pie.. AHHHHH :(

Full of off-kilter characters who don't talk like anyone in real life, but sound a truthful chord.
    This sweetheart of a comedy boasts a hilarious and heartfelt performance by Keri Russell.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    While aspects verge on sitcom terrain, this tale of a pregnant small-town woman caught between a bad marriage and a risky affair is mostly as funny and charming as intended.