Waitress

7.5

1. Jan 23, 2012
    Director/writer/actress Adrienne's jinxed misfortune (she was killed in a burglary at home) before releasing her second film in 2006 took on a critically unanticipated hype for this indie drama-comedy, starring a haplessly chirpy Keri Russell as the waitress and pie-baker, engrossed over 19 million dollars on the domestic box-office (versus its $2,000,000 budget). I was prejudiced toDirector/writer/actress Adrienne's jinxed misfortune (she was killed in a burglary at home) before releasing her second film in 2006 took on a critically unanticipated hype for this indie drama-comedy, starring a haplessly chirpy Keri Russell as the waitress and pie-baker, engrossed over 19 million dollars on the domestic box-office (versus its $2,000,000 budget). I was prejudiced to expect a comedic girl-gone-independent rousing story thanks to the bright-colored poster, multi-montages of garish pies, the risible characters (Hines and Shelly, two co-worker at the pie diner). But soon it was exposed that the film takes on a rather weighty route to probe a matter-of-fact escapism of Keriâ Expand
  2. NealC.
    Jan 6, 2008
    What Hollywood thinks country folk are like. It's appropriate that Andy Griffith is cast, as the stereotyped characters would fit into his old show, minus the too-creepy-for- this- movie Jeremy Sisto. With all due respect to the late Ms. Shelly, this is not very good.
  3. JefD.
    Dec 12, 2007
    Just not as satisfying as I had hoped. A little choppy and too many colorful characters to feel all that authentic.
  4. JimG
    Jul 1, 2007
    Entertaining but uneven. Sometimes goes for Cohen-Bros-esc campiness, other times tries to be serious. Would have been nicer if a consistent choice had been made.
  5. JeffD.
    Jun 11, 2007
    If you take away the tragic backstory, this is a truly mediocre film. From the terrible attempts at southern accents to the vocabulary that seems to be far above the heads of its users to the i'm-so-cute-look-at-me self-consciousness of the film, I'm expecting to see this on Oxygen in a few years.
  6. KevinR.
    Jun 9, 2007
    Cartoonish characters in a sweet but flawed movie. The heroine's attachment to her absurdly loutish husband rings utterly false. I'm not saying there aren't a lot of louts out there or of women who are inexplicably attached to them, but the way Russell plays the character, she's confident and assertive in every situation except when her husband is around, when she Cartoonish characters in a sweet but flawed movie. The heroine's attachment to her absurdly loutish husband rings utterly false. I'm not saying there aren't a lot of louts out there or of women who are inexplicably attached to them, but the way Russell plays the character, she's confident and assertive in every situation except when her husband is around, when she suddenly becomes snivelling and weak. The only explanation given for why such a beautiful, sweet, idealistic girl would wind up with such a loser is that "he changed after we got married." My favorite ridiculous line in the movie is when Russell, who is simply stunning in any lighting from any angle, tells the doctor who's attempting to romance her that "Nobody sees me that way." Who casted this thing? Give us a waitress with a hint of beauty that's not altogether faded by work and worry, not some Hollywood beauty queen pretending to slum it. The ending is cartoonish and absurd and sends a very wrongheaded message to women who might be suffering abuse at the hands of some real life lout--get pregnant, and eventually everything will be okay. Expand
  7. JamesC.
    Jun 4, 2007
    I was a little disappointed. I tried to judge this movie on its merits rather than on the tragedy behind its maker. Taken that way, it was amateur. Keri Russell, along with some of the other actors, is just fun to watch. But the story is predictable and the acting is wooden.
  8. Luke
    May 31, 2007
    The movie has its moments. But there are few characters one can clearly admire. Each of the sad sacks has so much baggage and so little integrity that it gets old. To watch a mother-to-be (impregnated by her horrible, abusive husband whilst she was drunk) declare that she has no love for the baby growing inside her, while she has an affair with her weirdo married ob-gyn, well she is The movie has its moments. But there are few characters one can clearly admire. Each of the sad sacks has so much baggage and so little integrity that it gets old. To watch a mother-to-be (impregnated by her horrible, abusive husband whilst she was drunk) declare that she has no love for the baby growing inside her, while she has an affair with her weirdo married ob-gyn, well she is really not a likable heroine. Until her redemption once the baby is born. I guess I am just tired of morally compromised characters in movies, the same as I am with morally compromised politicians, entertainers and people in general. Too few characters, and real people, really deserving of admiration these days, from our president on down. Expand
  9. RamonaJ.
    May 25, 2007
    A clunker. This movie is amusing, yes, but rife with stereotypic characters -- the perky (albeit depressed) heroine; the crusty old man with a heart of gold; the wise-cracking pals; and of course, the evil husband. The epiphany of maternal love has been better played elsewhere and the ending is just too pat. The best characters in this movie are the pies.
  10. BethC.
    May 18, 2007
    I had decidedly mixed feelings on this one. The film was obviously done on a low budget by an inexperienced director, most of the characters (with the exception of the heroine) are one-dimensional small town eccentrics, the ending is predictable. Yet the film still seduces you with its charm, some good laughs and those wonderful pies! Andy Griffith is a delight here as he spoofs his own I had decidedly mixed feelings on this one. The film was obviously done on a low budget by an inexperienced director, most of the characters (with the exception of the heroine) are one-dimensional small town eccentrics, the ending is predictable. Yet the film still seduces you with its charm, some good laughs and those wonderful pies! Andy Griffith is a delight here as he spoofs his own Mayberry persona. To critize its lack of realism is probably besdies the point, since it has a fairy tale aura. Expand

Full of off-kilter characters who don't talk like anyone in real life, but sound a truthful chord.
    This sweetheart of a comedy boasts a hilarious and heartfelt performance by Keri Russell.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    While aspects verge on sitcom terrain, this tale of a pregnant small-town woman caught between a bad marriage and a risky affair is mostly as funny and charming as intended.