Fox Searchlight Pictures | Release Date: October 19, 2001
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 144 Ratings
WATCH NOW
BigLOJan 30, 2006
A movie which challenges the viewer, there is just so much content that you could watch it again end to end and not get bored. Film is the most complete and influentual media format out there and a film like this shows not only what is A movie which challenges the viewer, there is just so much content that you could watch it again end to end and not get bored. Film is the most complete and influentual media format out there and a film like this shows not only what is possible but what we are missing. It wakes you up to and makes you want to re-evaluate and explore the relationship between your conscious and subconscious states of mind in a world dominated by logic and need driven by boredom resulting from the absence of creative energy. This movie addresses this nicely. Thumbs up! Expand
AnselmFernandezJan 6, 2007
This film is not for the faint of heart: those that are too comfortable that their laziness keeps them stationarily conditioned into a dead state of existence. This is for those who choose life and not survive life. This is for all of you This film is not for the faint of heart: those that are too comfortable that their laziness keeps them stationarily conditioned into a dead state of existence. This is for those who choose life and not survive life. This is for all of you inspired by the possibility of freedom. Take it and enjoy the moment after moment, story after story, and become aware of how much you live life on autopilot, which is equivalent to dreaming. But the paradoxes bug me but I find that I can love and make love to them. And on great nights of SELF, I go salsa dancing with my confusion. And when one realizes that one is a dream character in another person dream. That is SELF AWARENESS. Expand
[Anonymous]Sep 14, 2007
I'm not sure how a movie can go deeper into the human-experience and still be intelligible. An incredible film.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
ChelseaE.Apr 8, 2008
This film was simply mind blowing. I watched it every night before I went to bed for about 3 months, until I let someone borrow it and they lost it. It really opens your mind and your eyes to the simple truths of life and existence. From This film was simply mind blowing. I watched it every night before I went to bed for about 3 months, until I let someone borrow it and they lost it. It really opens your mind and your eyes to the simple truths of life and existence. From scenes of optimism to existentialism, there is a story for every type of perspective. One of my favorite quotes from the movie: "Hey. Could we do that again? I know we haven't met, but I don't want to be an ant. You know? I mean, it's like we go through life with our antennas bouncing off one another, continuously on ant autopilot, with nothing really human required of us. Stop. Go. Walk here. Drive there. All action basically for survival. All communication simply to keep this ant colony buzzing along in an efficient, polite manner. "Here's your change." "Paper or plastic?' "Credit or debit?" "You want ketchup with that?" I don't want a straw. I want real human moments. I want to see you. I want you to see me. I don't want to give that up. I don't want to be ant, you know?" Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
PatrickS.Aug 12, 2006
i was blown away. It will change the way you view and approach everyday of your life.
JHSep 19, 2006
I can't remember the last time I was so thoroughly interested in a movie. It was entertaining, thought-provoking, and stunning. I highly recommend this movie.
StevenFApr 1, 2013
Masterful and mind-blowingly brilliant, Waking Life is basically a documentary for the mind and how different reactions are dealt with with the events and scenarios that take place around us.
This film documents a series of life views in
This film documents a series of life views in regards to the simple occurrences in our life, politics, post-moderism, the human mind and even reactions to other people around us.
Not only is the film a series of interviews, but it is an entirely animated affair, using similar techniques to rotoscope that are beneficial to the dream state to which the film is told in, seemingly inside of the head of the dreamer (Wiley Wiggins)
The film contains some of the most inspiring and 'wake-up' moments of your life, whether its from a middle-aged sitting in leathers and drinking beer or from a wise old man, the thought-provoking dialogue and fast paced animation is enough to make you ponder your life choices.
The animation seems purposely low-budget, combining shifting colours with random screen situations, flying, clouds etc. It is truly unique and beautiful to watch.
Probably the most wonderful part of the film is the dialogue itself, one of the most quotable films in recent memories, it provides humour with realistic expectations, and one stand out is four men walking along a footpath, and one says "On the way to discovering what we love, we will find everything we hate, everything that blocks our path to what we desire".
This is just one of the many experiences at play here, and hating this film is perhaps a choice of film preference, but shouldn't be one that goes amiss.
The protagonist is taken on a wild ride of his imagination, with all these insightful people invading his mind, and the message of the title becomes clear, wake up your life and think, listen to the things going on around you, listen to peoples emotions and understand their choices.
A truly magical film that is simply flawless in its delivery of the state of dreaming but more importantly, the state of approaching your life with a confrontational and emotional stance, whether its basic human interaction or your decisions.
Beautiful and insightful.
ApexrisingDec 22, 2012
Absolutely astonishing movie. Definitely in my top 3 favorite movies of all time. I recommend this film to everyone, especially if you have an interest in lucid dreaming.
theunholymesiahSep 25, 2013
This is pretty much like what other people say. There's not much of a plot it's pretty much a philosophy session and there are so many things they say for you to ponder upon. The animation is some of the most interesting visuals I've seen inThis is pretty much like what other people say. There's not much of a plot it's pretty much a philosophy session and there are so many things they say for you to ponder upon. The animation is some of the most interesting visuals I've seen in any film. You'll walk out of it thinking differently. Expand
DiggetyDoo1May 10, 2015
A delightfully weird film depicting one boy's death or dream or something. You see the boy passively interacting with the people he meets and having conversations with them. Billions of contradictory ideas are expressed. Everything shifts andA delightfully weird film depicting one boy's death or dream or something. You see the boy passively interacting with the people he meets and having conversations with them. Billions of contradictory ideas are expressed. Everything shifts and wobbles. The director has captured what a real dream feels like. Pointless, confusing and weird. The animation is fluid and the art style works well. Later in the film, the boy is less passive and at one point has a full-blown conversation with a figure in the dream. Overall, an interesting, thought-provoking and entertaining experiment. Expand
BobE.Apr 8, 2007
A film that requires repeated viewings, and even short 'rewinds' withing the film. Watch it once and then decide if you'd like to study it.
EpicLadySpongeApr 18, 2016
Waking Life shows us how serious life can be and to wake it, we must live it first. That's insanely difficult, but you can manage to live life by going through it first.
DMcGintyFeb 25, 2008
I seem to be the only person that I know that liked this movie. It's good if you just don't take it too seriously. It's not particularly deep or philosophical. It's just a film of whimsical visuals backed by ambient I seem to be the only person that I know that liked this movie. It's good if you just don't take it too seriously. It's not particularly deep or philosophical. It's just a film of whimsical visuals backed by ambient lectures on post-modern nothingness. Expand
PatC.Sep 7, 2005
Unique and cerebral, but probably should be regarded more as a philosophical tutorial or documentary. I found the jittery animated visualization hard on the eyes and the lack of plot and character development disruptive of the continuity Unique and cerebral, but probably should be regarded more as a philosophical tutorial or documentary. I found the jittery animated visualization hard on the eyes and the lack of plot and character development disruptive of the continuity required for attentive viewing of a full length feature. The film appears to be a compilation of fleeting thoughts that didn't fit into other projects. While interesting to the introspective mind and containing an undeniably positive message, I didn't think they constituted a movie. Expand
drecool95May 31, 2015
This might be an incredible, mindbending experience for someone with no knowledge of philosophy or someone who's more interested in the visuals than the content. But for me, someone with a major interest in philosophy who's really familiarThis might be an incredible, mindbending experience for someone with no knowledge of philosophy or someone who's more interested in the visuals than the content. But for me, someone with a major interest in philosophy who's really familiar with a lot of these topics, this film really hits you over the head in an uncomfortable way. It's just the character walking from one giant mouth of a character to another, listening to their didactic rambling about introductory philosophical debates that really fall flat if you know the background to each of the fragments. Linklater might as well have written a series of short essays on philosophy, because that's really all he does here. No true message, no philosophical thought left to the viewer, just a series of disconnected moments that don't really offer any sort of deeper meaning. I enjoy the visuals of the film, but everything about the writing comes off as sloppy, preachy, and far too heavy-handed for my taste. Maybe my opinion will change with further viewings, but after my first viewing, I'd much rather watch a truly cerebral film that doesn't spoonfeed you ideas, and then later read a philosophy article, than be bombarded with this silly sort of "philosophical" movie. Expand
TomH.May 12, 2007
Graphics were nausea inducing. First 20 minutes of the story were very hard to follow.
DavidT.Mar 29, 2007
I feel as though this film created exactly what I believe it was trying to escape, an effortless post-modern dichotomy. "Being wierd...for the sake of being wierd!" Terrible film.