8.5

1. ChristianW.
    Sep 9, 2007
    Disappointing. Seemed to gloss over Johnny's dark side, drug use, arrest etc. Various scenes such as when Johnny or June are inspired to write a certain song were painfully contrived. Cash fans, I would say give it a miss and check out some of the good docos on his life instead.
  2. StacieH.
    Feb 20, 2006
    Just average. I really like Johnny Cash, but this movie didn't do him or his memory justice. Full of cliches and limp drama. Unfortunately, I walked away not caring much about Johnny and definitely not much at all about this character.
  3. RM
    May 27, 2006
    Aside from one or two almost moving moments, this film is an endurance test of cringeworthy scenes and boredom. I am surprised I sat through and watched this to the end.
  4. luvformovies
    Apr 28, 2006
    a movie that reese witherspoon deserved to win the oscar in. If u love johnny cash music then this is for you. if you like the director james mangold check out identity. great little thriller.
  5. RobertL.
    Oct 18, 2008
    The story was familiar and simplistic, but heart affecting. Reese does an excellent job of acting and reasonably good singing, but Joaquin's one note acting and thin, off key singing ruined the story for me. I wish they would have used the original artist recordings to give true honor to the music instead of the karaoke subsitute we got.
  6. Laura
    Nov 23, 2005
    Well - just watch Ray and think of Coal Miner's Daughter instead of seeing Walk the Line - It's the same thing.
  7. BillyB.
    Jan 16, 2006
    If you know anything about Cash, this movie will anger you. He was a sharp articulate artist, not the man in the movie.
  8. Art
    Feb 6, 2006
    The whole film is just a bit dull. His life really wasn't all that extraordinary, so we get loads of almost identical scenes of Johnny and June doing gigs, followed by Johnny popping pills, getting wasted; lather, rinse, repeat. Not even a contender alongside Brokeback Mountain and Crash, in my opinion.
  9. BJS.
    Mar 17, 2006
    It was alright...not as good as I thought it was going to be. However the performances by phoenix and witherspoon were good.
  10. PrestonJ
    Jul 30, 2007
    I'm sorry but as a film and the story that they told... I was not impressed. Yes Reese Witherspoon is a very talented actress, but Phoenix is bland and only shows rare glimmers of depth in this movie. As far as story telling goes I feel it was very rushed and basic. Rock star has traumatic childhood, Rock Star Becomes Famous, Rock Star Does Drugs, Girl rehabilitates Rock Star, Rock I'm sorry but as a film and the story that they told... I was not impressed. Yes Reese Witherspoon is a very talented actress, but Phoenix is bland and only shows rare glimmers of depth in this movie. As far as story telling goes I feel it was very rushed and basic. Rock star has traumatic childhood, Rock Star Becomes Famous, Rock Star Does Drugs, Girl rehabilitates Rock Star, Rock Star Gets Girl... every rock star movie follows said story.... blah. Expand
  11. tbush
    Nov 21, 2005
    I have repeatedly heard movie reviewers make the same comment about this bio-pic. The comment is "This film has Oscar written all over it". I would agree that it has 'Oscar' written all over it; Oscar MAYER that is! OK, but seriously... The complex and colorful lives of Johnny and June are reduced to a sort of simplified back-dated country-fied version of Leaving Las Vegas; You I have repeatedly heard movie reviewers make the same comment about this bio-pic. The comment is "This film has Oscar written all over it". I would agree that it has 'Oscar' written all over it; Oscar MAYER that is! OK, but seriously... The complex and colorful lives of Johnny and June are reduced to a sort of simplified back-dated country-fied version of Leaving Las Vegas; You know; Tragedy, tears, pills, booze, love gained and lost and then more tragedy, booze, tears, pills, and even more booze. Oh and then more pills. And booze...and pills. So of you want to give this movie a fair shake do not go into it expecting anything in the same league as Ray, La Bamba, or even Great Balls of Fire for that matter. The movie is on par with, as another poster said, a Lifetime made-forTV-movie. Expand
  12. MattM
    Nov 22, 2005
    Highly disappointing, exceptionally mediocre biopic anchored by, ironically, two of the best performances of the year.
  13. PJ
    Jan 13, 2006
    Mediocre, disappointing, slow. For someone so talented and ambitious, Cash's primary attributes in this portrayal are timidity and luck. I don't know anyone personally who really liked this movie.
  14. KenG.
    Mar 16, 2006
    I really hope there was more to Johnny Cash then the wimpy, whiny, weak character that Phoenix potrayed him as. If it's possible to sue from the grave, filmmakers could expect to be served with papers from Cash anytime soon. Witherspoon confirms what Rene Zellweger's oscar for "Cold mountain" suggested. That all an actress has to do to win an oscar is is put on a southern I really hope there was more to Johnny Cash then the wimpy, whiny, weak character that Phoenix potrayed him as. If it's possible to sue from the grave, filmmakers could expect to be served with papers from Cash anytime soon. Witherspoon confirms what Rene Zellweger's oscar for "Cold mountain" suggested. That all an actress has to do to win an oscar is is put on a southern accent, and act sassy. Expand

1. There are too many musical performances in this movie, even for a country fan such as myself, to keep the city slickers engaged. This bespeaks great faith in the charisma of the stars, who merit it. They also, however, deserved a better script.
    I couldn't imagine anyone better suited to play the role. But this movie is a lot less interesting than it might be. Though it's not bad--in fact, it's rather sweet--it's too simple a portrait of a very complicated and calculating entertainer.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Walk the Line is a strongly acted, musically vibrant, conventionally satisfying biopic of country/rock/blues legend Johnny Cash and his second wife, June Carter.