8.1

1. Mar 25, 2011
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, walk the line. in entertaining movie with a good message. Don't do speed or you will lose everything but gain a wife. Even so the main part of the movie was to shoe that he walked the line, been to the worst place almost any Artist could go and came out of it. He was the first person that people said was messed up in the music biz.
  2. RayW.
    Dec 21, 2005
    My wife and I both saw this movie at the same time, we both loved it and will probably purchase the dvd with it comes out. We both felt it had the potential for Academy Award nominations for best actress and actor for 2005.
  3. Mar 22, 2013
    Johnny Cash undoubtedly left an everlasting legacy after his death in 2003, and there was inevitably going to be a biopic of the iconic country singer, so soon perhaps was surprising, but here we have it, and a truly riveting, compelling and entertaining tale has been told by director James Mangold.
    We start off seeing John 'JR' Cash inside Folsom prison, about to take to the stage in one of the most high profile concerts in recent memory. Joaquin Phoenix steps into the famed singer's shoes, and does an emotionally satisfying and shockingly accurate rendition of the Man in Black.
    The film then seemingly transforms into a flashback, as Johnny thinks back to his days as a Christian child, not at all the favourite son of his discipline happy dad, he often listens to bible tunes on the radio, to the dismay of his father.
    After a tragic accident, we see a grown up Johnny joining the army, and he spends most of his free time writing songs, mainly things that seem to annoy him or that are constantly on his mind. He soon returns home to a wife and a life not quite what he had hoped for as a door to door salesman, he happens upon a recording studio run by Sam Philips (Dallas Roberts) who convinces Johnny to sing something of his own, simply telling him that people don't want to hear bible music....and so begins the unforgettable career of the legend.
    Joaquin Phoenix delivers his most memorable and certainly the most close to life of any biopic tale of Cash, combining his rusky voice with the charm and charisma of the real thing. His struggles with the beautiful June Carter (Reese Witherspoon) are chronicled in this excellent tale of a complex trial and error story, one which shot Cash to the highest stardom of his life but one which also made him face his darkest demons.
    We watch as the celebrity stigma with Cash perhaps becomes too much, and he begins to delve in the narcotic way of life, eventually destroying his marriage and possible his career.
    All the songs that made him as we know him today are present, and Phoenix couldn't be more on par with the man he is portraying, it is sometimes a pinch yourself moment just to make sure you are listening to the real thing,
    What truly leaks from this picture is Cash's attempt to constantly make his dad proud, something he never seems to get, and perhaps the reason behind his spiral out of control.
    A truly powerful and exhilarating biopic that cannot be missed, showing the life of one of the most charismatic, egotistical yet brilliant musicians of all time, Johnny Cash.
  4. Nov 22, 2012
    Walk the Line is a beautiful film that takes the audience through the destruction and ultimate redemption of the immortal artist's life, emphasized by the flawless lead performances.
  5. Sep 3, 2014
    Walk the Line is a huge achievement for musical film. A biopic which follows the relationship and careers of both Johnny Cash and his eventual-wife June Carter. They've decided to re-record Cash's music with its very talented cast, bringing us a brilliant soundtrack. Joaquin Phoenix is a valiant Johnny Cash--and Reese Witherspoon, leaves us speechless.
  6. Jan 3, 2013
    Being an ultimate fan of Johnny Cash, I was very happy with the way this film turned out. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon both nailed their performances in voice and poisture. The also went into great lengths of how drug addiction can ruin your life and how stopping can rebuild it. And the music was mind-blowing. Especially because it was the actors singing it. Great film!
  7. Aug 11, 2013
    Not only is it the greatest, most evocative filmic depiction of a musician I've ever seen, it's easily one of the top three biopics I have ever seen. With Phoenix and Witherspoon's frighteningly uncanny performances, a superbly thematic script, a brilliant set of images, and an obviously extraordinary musical atmosphere, "Walk The Line" is nothing short of immaculate.
  8. Jun 7, 2013
    Roger Ebert said this about the film and I completely agree with him: "The music is great, the drama is great, the writing is great, the performances are great, I love it!" Joaquin Phoenix gives a brilliant performance as Johnny Cash, and Reese Witherspoon gives the performance of her career.
  9. Feb 13, 2013
    A simply brilliant film that really gets behind the complex troubles that made Johnny cash who he was. The best part about this film is Reese Witherspoon's performance as June Carter, although ironically she seems to have a more polished voice than June but she still captures her character and her love for Johnny. The film ends on a romantic vibe which makes you forget about the adultery,A simply brilliant film that really gets behind the complex troubles that made Johnny cash who he was. The best part about this film is Reese Witherspoon's performance as June Carter, although ironically she seems to have a more polished voice than June but she still captures her character and her love for Johnny. The film ends on a romantic vibe which makes you forget about the adultery, heartache and drug use that had to happen before. It covers a lot of deep and heavy topics but the soundtrack and the tour sequences keep the film on an upbeat and feel good beat. Definitely an all time favourite! Expand
  10. Aug 4, 2013
    Not all the parts were completely true but they had to keep the movie short enough to keep attention. I think it would be better with the deleted scenes. I still loved it. Music is great, clothes, cars, hair, was very good.some were wondering why Jerry lee Lewis was in there. Jerry was touring with John and they were good friends. John was weaker in the movie than I thought. Movie of myNot all the parts were completely true but they had to keep the movie short enough to keep attention. I think it would be better with the deleted scenes. I still loved it. Music is great, clothes, cars, hair, was very good.some were wondering why Jerry lee Lewis was in there. Jerry was touring with John and they were good friends. John was weaker in the movie than I thought. Movie of my overall review was a fantastic film still deleted scenes would have made it better but it is my favorite movie ever. I'd totally give this movie 20 points if I could. Helped? Email me at JadaO00@hotmail.com no negative please Expand
  11. GlenD.
    May 24, 2006
    I watched this movie from beginning to end, and I was angered and disgusted! After reading Johnny Cash's autobiography 'Man In Black' it is easy to spot very obvious flaws in the movie. For one thing, Johnny Cash described his father as a good natured, good humoured, loving and dignified man who even preached one Sunday morning at thier church. The movie, however, portrays I watched this movie from beginning to end, and I was angered and disgusted! After reading Johnny Cash's autobiography 'Man In Black' it is easy to spot very obvious flaws in the movie. For one thing, Johnny Cash described his father as a good natured, good humoured, loving and dignified man who even preached one Sunday morning at thier church. The movie, however, portrays Ray Cash as a gruff , abusive, contemptuos tyrant. The movie didn't do June Cater justice either. In Cash's autobiography, June was a very strong, patient, sweet and dignified woman. The movie, however, has Reese Witherspoon portraying June as an ill tempered, mean mouthed battle axe. The movie also made Johnny Cash look wimpy and pathetic. Even during the weakest time of his life, the man still had strength, character, dignity, and a keen sense of humour. The good things I can say about Walk The Line is that the music and singing was pretty decent, and the clothes, the hairstyles and the cars were very authentic. I'll give Joaqin phoenix due credit for being able to do the tough job of looking and sounding like Johnny Cash. Expand
  12. MartinZ>
    Nov 28, 2005
    I've seen this movie it came out last year it was known as Ray.
  13. KingFolderol
    Nov 28, 2005
    A huge disappointment. Threads that could have been interesting (Cash's childhood, his stint in the Air Force, his first marriage) aren't really explained or developed the way they could have been or should have been. The songs are all good, but it seems like they spent a lot of time trying to establish the fact that Cash rubbed elbows with the big names of 1950s music. Jerry A huge disappointment. Threads that could have been interesting (Cash's childhood, his stint in the Air Force, his first marriage) aren't really explained or developed the way they could have been or should have been. The songs are all good, but it seems like they spent a lot of time trying to establish the fact that Cash rubbed elbows with the big names of 1950s music. Jerry Lee Lewis is certainly an entertaining character, but why bother throwing him into the film for the sake of throwing him into the film? The movie just dragged on, turning into a long story of "will they or won't they" with June Carter and Johnny Cash, a story that had no suspense or interest. The movie would have been better served exploring how or why Cash wrote some of his greater, and darker songs. This movie felt mostly like a great opportunity wasted. Expand
  14. Fantasy
    Nov 30, 2005
    Oscar material? Hardly! Jamie Farr captured Ray in which we believed he was Ray. You can't compare the two performances because he didn't look like Johnny Cash and couldn't sing either. Reese Witherspoon is great in everything she appears in thus the two points. For country music fans only.
  15. MikeS.
    Aug 14, 2006
    I was surpirsed at how bad this movie was. Maybe my expectations were too high.
  16. ChristianW.
    Sep 9, 2007
    Disappointing. Seemed to gloss over Johnny's dark side, drug use, arrest etc. Various scenes such as when Johnny or June are inspired to write a certain song were painfully contrived. Cash fans, I would say give it a miss and check out some of the good docos on his life instead.
  17. JR
    Nov 18, 2005
    Who knew Cash was not only boring but couldn't sing very well.
  18. BrennanS.
    Gripping and powerful.
  19. A.J.Yudien
    Nov 20, 2005
    Reese Witherspoon gave a great performance of Dolly Parton doing her imitation of June Carter. The movie started off great and deteriorated into a real loser...this is nowhere close to the incredible movie "RAY". Don't waste your time....spend your money on a Johnny Cash CD...would be more entertaining.
  20. Lindsey
    Dec 1, 2005
    It was Jamie Foxx but nonetheless I couldn't agree with you more. The essence of the man was not captured; only his troubled life. Depressing film.
  21. TravisC.
    Jan 7, 2006
    Best movie of the year, hands down, there were dramatic parts and hilarious parts to it too, when oscars come around, if any other movie wins best picture, it would be a crime, and give joaquin phoenix best actor too, he was unbelieveable.
  22. JohnR.
    Oct 11, 2006
    I must have seen this movie about a million times already, and it just seems to be getting better and better every time I see it. The issues that Johnny Cash went through and the tours he was on were portrayed well. Reese Witherspoon was fantastic in the flick, she's got the pipes in her family. Awesome job by the entire crew and a great movie to have in the collection of DVDs at home.
  23. AnanR.
    Jan 5, 2006
    Delightful performances! Both, Joaquin Phoenix and Reece Witherspoon did very well. This movie has given me some insight to what our beloved Johnny Cash has lived through. I have always liked most of his music but now I love it! I want to buy it when it comes out... hope it wont take too long. For once... a movie I can actually say I loved it. Two thumbs way up to all the actors, writers, Delightful performances! Both, Joaquin Phoenix and Reece Witherspoon did very well. This movie has given me some insight to what our beloved Johnny Cash has lived through. I have always liked most of his music but now I love it! I want to buy it when it comes out... hope it wont take too long. For once... a movie I can actually say I loved it. Two thumbs way up to all the actors, writers, and all the rest of the crew. Expand
  24. ArielG.
    Feb 12, 2006
    Very light and enteraining movie. Even though it was a standard rags-to-riches musician story, Joaquin Phoenix kept it from sinking into boredom with his charisma and presence. And Reese Witherspoon, I can't say enough good things about her. She totally won me over with her solid acting, totally immersing herself in her role as June Carter. Who would've thought Reese could sing? Very light and enteraining movie. Even though it was a standard rags-to-riches musician story, Joaquin Phoenix kept it from sinking into boredom with his charisma and presence. And Reese Witherspoon, I can't say enough good things about her. She totally won me over with her solid acting, totally immersing herself in her role as June Carter. Who would've thought Reese could sing? Hopefully she'll snag the Oscar this year. Expand
  25. Kenzie
    Feb 2, 2006
    My favourite film of the year.
  26. StacieH.
    Feb 20, 2006
    Just average. I really like Johnny Cash, but this movie didn't do him or his memory justice. Full of cliches and limp drama. Unfortunately, I walked away not caring much about Johnny and definitely not much at all about this character.
  27. StephM.
    Feb 5, 2006
    Brilliant - although not a Cash fan, I thoroughly enjoyed this film, and the two main actors gave an awe inspiring performance.
  28. JamesB.
    Mar 10, 2006
    Completely Spellbinding, Witherspoon & Pheonix Are Amazing And Deliver Their Best Performances To Date. Choice Of Songs In The Movie Were Great And Really Note The Progression Of Cash's Music. Look Out For When He Performs At Folsom Prison, Excellent Scene. Top Movie Best Of The Year!
  29. JudithD.
    Mar 5, 2006
    Although Witherspoon was okay. I do not see this film, in comparison with one like Crash, nothing less than ordinary. Johnny Cash was not very good as a singer and is totally uninteresting as a person. Did not get all the hype.
  30. Hendrik
    Mar 6, 2006
    L.S. for the first time in 20 years i did enjoy a movie so truly a life story like gone with the wind SO MIGHTY WELL AND HARTWARMING PERFORMED growin older the mind starts to forget mercifully hopefully never ever for walk the line adios hendrik from holland the little brave country of the lowlands.
  31. RM
    May 27, 2006
    Aside from one or two almost moving moments, this film is an endurance test of cringeworthy scenes and boredom. I am surprised I sat through and watched this to the end.
  32. VioletH.
    Jun 8, 2006
    This is the most entertaining film I have seen in a long time. The music is great and the performance by Mr. Phoenix is astounding and well as Ms. Witherspoons. They are great together. When Mr. Phoenix sings he is really into it all the way.
  33. KenL.
    Nov 20, 2005
    This film was a lot better than expected. I don't understand the somewhat mixed critical reviews other than some reviewers perhaps view the focus on a county singer less worthy of their praise -- and I am not a country fan. Walk the Line is much better than last year's Ray although there are many similarities in the story lines. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon as well as This film was a lot better than expected. I don't understand the somewhat mixed critical reviews other than some reviewers perhaps view the focus on a county singer less worthy of their praise -- and I am not a country fan. Walk the Line is much better than last year's Ray although there are many similarities in the story lines. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon as well as many of the supporting actors are outstanding. The film has multiple interesting themes -- Johnny Cash's rise from a poor background, his conflicted relationship with his father and wife, his obession with June Carter, June Carter's strong independence, Johnny's struggle with drugs, June's friendship and love for him, etc. Phoenix and Witherspoon accepted low pay levels because of the potential quality they saw in this movie. It's well worth your time. Expand
  34. MattB.
    Nov 22, 2005
    Amazing film. I'm a Johnny Cash fan now, believe me. I've never had much use for country music, but this movie won me over. Great acting jobs by Phoenix and Witherspoon are just icing on the cake of an excellent story, whether totally true or not.
  35. ChadS.
    Nov 28, 2005
    "Walk the Line" never strays far from the rise and fall form of your traditional biopic, but like Julie Taymor's underappreciated "Frida", it hardly matters if you cast the right actors. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon are so spot-on as Johnny and June Carter Cash, they could've succeeded in a mock-concert film. Phoenix's live performances surpasses Gary Busey's "Walk the Line" never strays far from the rise and fall form of your traditional biopic, but like Julie Taymor's underappreciated "Frida", it hardly matters if you cast the right actors. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon are so spot-on as Johnny and June Carter Cash, they could've succeeded in a mock-concert film. Phoenix's live performances surpasses Gary Busey's work on "The Buddy Holly Story" and that's no faint praise. Busey was great; very Holly-like, but Phoenix IS Cash, even though the two bare only the slightest resemblance. As for Witherspoon, she hasn't beem this incandescent since her debut in Robert Mulligan's "The Man in the Moon". She nearly steals the movie away from Phoenix, which seems almost appropriate since June Carter Cash gave this film its title. To ignore the extraordinary chemistry between two actors who seem to be at the height of their craft because they exist in an admittedly ordinary screenplay would be to miss the point of this truly galvanizing movie. Phoenix and Witherspoon transform showbiz cliches into emotional truth. If you loved Ray Charles, you loved "Ray". If you didn't love Johnny Cash, you'll, at worst, love Joaquin Phoenix's version of The Man in Black" better than the real Mccoy, and second-guess your original assessment of this popular music recording giant. "Walk the Line" is a triumph of mimicry and sound. Expand
  36. Johnson
    Nov 20, 2005
    Don't waste your time on this unless you want see an overproduced typical hollywood plot. This film sheds litte light on Cash's life, and trivializes his story into the typical "struggling artist with childhood struggles, takes drugs, yells at his wife, falls in love and is redeemed". This movie would be a fine Lifetime/Hallmark tv drama if it was some fictional story about a Don't waste your time on this unless you want see an overproduced typical hollywood plot. This film sheds litte light on Cash's life, and trivializes his story into the typical "struggling artist with childhood struggles, takes drugs, yells at his wife, falls in love and is redeemed". This movie would be a fine Lifetime/Hallmark tv drama if it was some fictional story about a fictional character. This film offers no insights into why Johnny Cash was such a beloved artist, and is an insult to his life. Expand
  37. JanieG
    Jan 1, 2006
    Amazing!!!...I have already watched in twice in theaters!!!....Voices were outstanding...didnt even realize it was the actors!.....Worth every $
  38. RichardH.
    Jan 16, 2006
    I have followed Cash since I walked the Line and this movie was the greatest.
  39. peters.
    Jan 5, 2006
    For me, this was the surprise of the season. Standard musical bio-pic made stimulating by the talents of Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix who capture the characters' personalities, vocal styles, and intimacies with remarkable skill. They truly inhabit their roles. Bravo!
  40. Frank
    Jan 7, 2006
    Sorry to say after so much hoopla from critics and film fans, I was a bit disappointed. Not nearly as compelling as I expected. Inferior to "Coal Miner's Daughter," and "Ray." I have always been a huge fan of Reese Witherspoon. I think her peformance is her usual high-quality, but does exceed her other fine work. I'm not sure why critics have gone so crazy for her performance Sorry to say after so much hoopla from critics and film fans, I was a bit disappointed. Not nearly as compelling as I expected. Inferior to "Coal Miner's Daughter," and "Ray." I have always been a huge fan of Reese Witherspoon. I think her peformance is her usual high-quality, but does exceed her other fine work. I'm not sure why critics have gone so crazy for her performance here. For my money, Mr. Phoenix had the much tougher job and the more outstanding result. I particularly liked Dallas Robert's scene as Sun Records' prez, Sam Phillips. A good movie, but not a great one. Expand
  41. EmmaS.
    Feb 20, 2006
    I loved this passionate move, but the abundance of similar singing scenes detracted from the storyline.
  42. HeatherW.
    Feb 7, 2006
    Engaging and heartfelt performances by the cast and fabulous music. I was definitely entertained and was touched by the love story. But I would have liked to have learned more about Cash other than his romantic yearnings and his battle with drugs. There was something that drew him to maximum security prisons and the stories of prisoners, but this was never really fleshed out in the movie. Engaging and heartfelt performances by the cast and fabulous music. I was definitely entertained and was touched by the love story. But I would have liked to have learned more about Cash other than his romantic yearnings and his battle with drugs. There was something that drew him to maximum security prisons and the stories of prisoners, but this was never really fleshed out in the movie. Like I said, more of a love story than a bio pic. But well done. Expand
  43. KevinE.
    Mar 2, 2006
    The worst cliche film about a musicain I have ever seen
  44. JesseL.
    Mar 5, 2006
    One of the best love stories about two musicians I have seen in a long time. Plus the actors are unbelievable with their performances. For sure a perfect 10.
  45. JobA.
    Mar 8, 2006
    I've been a fan of Johnny Cash for 25 years and just watching this movie was really a great experience!The acting and story were incredible.I'm happy it won academy awards but I believe it should of won more than it did. Great,great movie!
  46. JulienS.
    Apr 1, 2006
    This movie was one of the best of the year by far. It gives great acting and you can tell the actors worked really hard. I had know idea that Johnny Cash's life was like that until i watched the movie. The story was excellent and exciting. Anyone who didn't like this movie doesn't know a good movie if it hit them in the nose.
  47. luvformovies
    Apr 28, 2006
    a movie that reese witherspoon deserved to win the oscar in. If u love johnny cash music then this is for you. if you like the director james mangold check out identity. great little thriller.
  48. Brutus
    May 17, 2006
    Not bad, and Reese probably deserved the Oscar, because she is radiant, without being coy. But really, this is just a better than average standard biopic. It is mystifying to see all the comments above claiming this film transcends the form, when in fact it clings to the bioipic format like a limpet. Which is a pity, as there was a whole lot more that was soulful and interesting in Johnny Not bad, and Reese probably deserved the Oscar, because she is radiant, without being coy. But really, this is just a better than average standard biopic. It is mystifying to see all the comments above claiming this film transcends the form, when in fact it clings to the bioipic format like a limpet. Which is a pity, as there was a whole lot more that was soulful and interesting in Johnny Cash's life than what is portrayed here (ie Sun records, pill popping, the romance with June, the conflict with his father, the death of his brother in a saw accident). Maybe there should be a sequel. One that focuses on the fact that Johnny was slightly more than a self-pitying, self-obsessed drug addict with no manners, and that he stood for a number of social causes of note, and that he helped define and then redefine both country and folk music. Compare this film to Ray, where you really got what was special about Ray Charles. Somehow, what was truly great about Johnny Cash gets left behind in the smouldering desire and the period detail. And while the music in the film is engaging enough (it is hard to really destroy good material, and as the musical director, T-Bone Burnett was never going to allow that to happen anyway), it is pretty illuminating to play the soundtrack up against the real thing, as I did shortly afterwards. A good effort Joaquin, but Johnny Cash had a once in a lifetime voice, and was a unique artist. Not just a rock'n'roll wannabee. Overall, good - but not great. Expand
  49. RobertL.
    Oct 18, 2008
    The story was familiar and simplistic, but heart affecting. Reese does an excellent job of acting and reasonably good singing, but Joaquin's one note acting and thin, off key singing ruined the story for me. I wish they would have used the original artist recordings to give true honor to the music instead of the karaoke subsitute we got.
  50. Jd
    Nov 20, 2005
    I was very skeptical at first but I have to so, I was impressed. Great movie, great cast. Witherspoon just lights p the screen and Phoenix is so scary, so on the edge... The music is rip-roarin'.
  51. Laura
    Nov 23, 2005
    Well - just watch Ray and think of Coal Miner's Daughter instead of seeing Walk the Line - It's the same thing.
  52. VanessaM
    Nov 20, 2005
    Reese Witherspoon gets noticed more for her performance (which is wonderful) but Joaquin Phoenix is amazing in the way he inhabits Johnny Cash so that it doesn't even seem performance. Wonderfully done.
  53. DavidS.
    Dec 29, 2005
    Oscars all around for this film. Excellent script, superb performances from Witherspoon and Phoenix, unparallelled music and score. I am en extremely tough grader and left this film in awe of the entire package.
  54. Sam
    Dec 6, 2005
    With its superb acting, singing, and dialouge, Walk the Line easilly has my vote as not only teh best picture of the year, but easily the best picture since movies were created.
  55. JessicaP
    Dec 7, 2005
    I loved this movie, i didnt know much about Johnny Cash and didnt care much about him until i watched this movie. Now i cant wait till it comes out on video. I have movie soundtrack now. The acting was outstanding. The singing was amazing.
  56. BillyB.
    Jan 16, 2006
    If you know anything about Cash, this movie will anger you. He was a sharp articulate artist, not the man in the movie.
  57. LucilleR.
    Jan 3, 2006
    This movie captures your heart. Outstanding and convincing performances had me mesmerized. It's a classic that will stand the test of time. A winner!
  58. PeterS.
    Feb 20, 2006
    One of the greatest stories of inspiration, accomplishment and life struggle. The man's live was amazing. Anyone who has ever been through hard times and overcome them, will enjoy this movie.
  59. Art
    Feb 6, 2006
    The whole film is just a bit dull. His life really wasn't all that extraordinary, so we get loads of almost identical scenes of Johnny and June doing gigs, followed by Johnny popping pills, getting wasted; lather, rinse, repeat. Not even a contender alongside Brokeback Mountain and Crash, in my opinion.
  60. DennisM.
    Mar 10, 2006
    If you are happy seeing Johnny Cash turned into Forest Gump, but creepier and more morose - this the film. If you know nothing about Johnny Cash, and are curious to know more, this is not a good place to start. Walk The Line uses a standard formula of revealing a man through showing him in his most desperate hours, to gain attention for itself first and foremost, and in so doing lacks If you are happy seeing Johnny Cash turned into Forest Gump, but creepier and more morose - this the film. If you know nothing about Johnny Cash, and are curious to know more, this is not a good place to start. Walk The Line uses a standard formula of revealing a man through showing him in his most desperate hours, to gain attention for itself first and foremost, and in so doing lacks subtlety and heart. Surprisingly, the film does not seem overly interested in the music (Cash band member's have barely a couple of line's to say in the movie combined) and as a consequence, music and artist seem somehow disconnected. But of course the focus of the film is the agonising moments in the personal life of the man who made the music, or more specifically his pursuit of a woman that for a number of years, he couldn't have. Barely a minute into the only song we see from the famous Fulsom prison concert, the scene is cut, in favour of a bus moving through the dark night, where Johnny (helpless as a dog on heat) wakes June up and says "will you marry me". His persistence eventually wears June down, and by the end of the film you can only try to remember that Johnny Cash was also a man with an immense sense of personal dignity, charm, intelligence, warmth and humour - as one might find in a Cash performance of the song Big River (about yearning for a woman). But unfortunately Walk the Line is about something else, and you won Expand
  61. RichardR.
    Mar 1, 2006
    This is a great movie, with fantastic acting. I was in tear a few times during this. Joaquin is one of our finest young actors, and so is Reese.
  62. BJS.
    Mar 17, 2006
    It was alright...not as good as I thought it was going to be. However the performances by phoenix and witherspoon were good.
  63. ShaneR.
    Mar 18, 2006
    Loved it! I fell in love with Reece Witherspoon or June Carter, not sure which and Phoenix was incredible too! These actors actually performed all vocals themselves. The music was incredible, the acting was incredible and I thoroughly enjoyed the story. Wish there was a movie soundtrack available!
  64. JoeP.
    Mar 2, 2006
    Very good movie, focuses too much on Cash and June Carter. Good music, great acting by Phoenix and Witherspoon.
  65. SeanR.
    Apr 13, 2006
    Despite the fact I am not a huge fan of his music I really liked this movie. The acting was incredible. I can see where people like dennis are coming from... but not to that extreme. This movie was made to entertain and be a love story than a documentary. If you would like one dennis then i am sure there is one out there for you.
  66. SydneyS.
    May 10, 2006
    This is my favorite movie and who ever wrote this movie did an awesome job and i have all of there stuff!! And i wish i could watch you do anoher movie using Johnny Cash and ,I forgot her name but i love it it is awesome send me an e-mail back! Your # 1 Fan, Sydney Nicole Staples!
  67. KimberlyS.
    Jun 1, 2006
    How anyone could rate this movie under # 10 belongs in a straight jacket! I believe it takes an extremley intelligent person to appreciate the absolutely cinematic perfection of what is one of the best movies ever made. People with an average or below average IQ enjoy the " good old fist fight, murder, etc." movies. They don't even care about acting ability, very moving biographies How anyone could rate this movie under # 10 belongs in a straight jacket! I believe it takes an extremley intelligent person to appreciate the absolutely cinematic perfection of what is one of the best movies ever made. People with an average or below average IQ enjoy the " good old fist fight, murder, etc." movies. They don't even care about acting ability, very moving biographies or the real meaning of life. Shame on those so called human beings! Expand
  68. AmurabiM.
    Jun 30, 2006
    Walk the Line is a simplistic biopic, conventional at first sight that displays a powerful love story and the myth of a great musician. When someone thinks about Johnny Cash, can imagine depresion, solitude and desperation, the film portrays Cash as a regular guy, a common father and a man in love. Is that bad? Not at all, but destroys the myth of The Man in Black. Mangold tries to Walk the Line is a simplistic biopic, conventional at first sight that displays a powerful love story and the myth of a great musician. When someone thinks about Johnny Cash, can imagine depresion, solitude and desperation, the film portrays Cash as a regular guy, a common father and a man in love. Is that bad? Not at all, but destroys the myth of The Man in Black. Mangold tries to celebrate the life and music of a music icon and he accomplishes that but in a weak homage. Walk the Line has some terrific performances and outstanding musicals and sound, but it feels a little bit simplified. Like a Hallmark film with a real subject, Walk the Line suffers the musical biopic symptom: a little bit of saccharine and de-mythification of the subject for everyone´s tastes. Expand
  69. JaredB.
    Jan 11, 2007
    Wow! What a great movie! Everything, from the cast to the script, was incredible. Joaquin Phoenix was amazing as the late, great Johnny Cash. And I can certainly see why Reese Witherspoon won the Oscar. She is so talented and, speaking from a male point of view, hot. Anyway, this was the best biopic of a country star's life since "Coal Miner's daughter."
    Jan 28, 2007
    Although I'm not American, Johnny Cash is for me a really great man, as he is a great musician. The movie shows him on his wrong and right sides, and is very affecting (don't know if this his the right word to tell how much i was touched) Moreover, the performance of Phoenix and Whiterspoon is really impressive.
  71. PrestonJ
    Jul 30, 2007
    I'm sorry but as a film and the story that they told... I was not impressed. Yes Reese Witherspoon is a very talented actress, but Phoenix is bland and only shows rare glimmers of depth in this movie. As far as story telling goes I feel it was very rushed and basic. Rock star has traumatic childhood, Rock Star Becomes Famous, Rock Star Does Drugs, Girl rehabilitates Rock Star, Rock I'm sorry but as a film and the story that they told... I was not impressed. Yes Reese Witherspoon is a very talented actress, but Phoenix is bland and only shows rare glimmers of depth in this movie. As far as story telling goes I feel it was very rushed and basic. Rock star has traumatic childhood, Rock Star Becomes Famous, Rock Star Does Drugs, Girl rehabilitates Rock Star, Rock Star Gets Girl... every rock star movie follows said story.... blah. Expand
  72. JimJ.
    Nov 18, 2005
    Great movie, its not trying to tell us the story of Cash - The Legend, but of June and Johnny - The Legendary Romance. For this, it deserves credit, but I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel about Cash the legend.
  73. SuzanneD.
    Loved this film!
  74. DaveB.
    Nov 19, 2005
    Would give it more than 10 if i could. Great story and even better music. Don't believe JR, whoever they are they are clueless. Go see this movie and then go home, crank up Folsom Prison Blues and bask in the greatness of The Man in Black.
  75. tbush
    Nov 21, 2005
    I have repeatedly heard movie reviewers make the same comment about this bio-pic. The comment is "This film has Oscar written all over it". I would agree that it has 'Oscar' written all over it; Oscar MAYER that is! OK, but seriously... The complex and colorful lives of Johnny and June are reduced to a sort of simplified back-dated country-fied version of Leaving Las Vegas; You I have repeatedly heard movie reviewers make the same comment about this bio-pic. The comment is "This film has Oscar written all over it". I would agree that it has 'Oscar' written all over it; Oscar MAYER that is! OK, but seriously... The complex and colorful lives of Johnny and June are reduced to a sort of simplified back-dated country-fied version of Leaving Las Vegas; You know; Tragedy, tears, pills, booze, love gained and lost and then more tragedy, booze, tears, pills, and even more booze. Oh and then more pills. And booze...and pills. So of you want to give this movie a fair shake do not go into it expecting anything in the same league as Ray, La Bamba, or even Great Balls of Fire for that matter. The movie is on par with, as another poster said, a Lifetime made-forTV-movie. Expand
  76. CateS.
    Nov 20, 2005
    Great singing and sensational insight into what made Cash great. All that and a love story too.
  77. MattM
    Nov 22, 2005
    Highly disappointing, exceptionally mediocre biopic anchored by, ironically, two of the best performances of the year.
  78. Petro
    Nov 23, 2005
    So it might not be the best movie of the year, but both Phoenix and Witherspoon gave a great performance. I was pleasantly surprised, considering I m not a country fan. Very enjoyable.
  79. DavidA.
    Nov 24, 2005
    A fine film, I ain't really the country type I'm more into hiphop but this movie was really good and the actors were awesome. Very entertaining!
  80. RonW.
    Nov 25, 2005
    Breathtakingly realistic portrayals of both the characters and the times.
  81. AndrewK.
    Nov 25, 2005
    I don't give a high score very easily. I'm not apt to just throw out tens left and right. So an 8 to me means a damn good film. I knew very little about Johnny Cash to begin with, so I found the movie very enlightening. He can hardly be qualified as just a "country" artist, as his music is obviously very blues, rock and even gospel influenced. Phoenix does an amazing job. And I don't give a high score very easily. I'm not apt to just throw out tens left and right. So an 8 to me means a damn good film. I knew very little about Johnny Cash to begin with, so I found the movie very enlightening. He can hardly be qualified as just a "country" artist, as his music is obviously very blues, rock and even gospel influenced. Phoenix does an amazing job. And maybe I'm not a big enough fan of Cash to really know his voice, but I though Phoenix was dead on. After hearing the real June Carter at the end of the film, I could tell that Witherspoon wasn't quite so spot on, but she sure got the energy and the spirit right. I was sucked into this film from the very start, and didn't find myself bored even once. I barely noticed how long it was, and even though there were so many musical performance in the film, I never found myself thinking, "Come on! Get back to the story!" And I think that's because it felt as much a part of the story as everything else. I could not help but be won over by Witherspoon (who I normally despise). She was incredibly cute when she needed to be and was incredibly real in her character's stubborn moments. Carter was obviously a rock for Johnny Cash. And that's what this movie is all about. And it didn't ONCE come off as resembling a Lifetime tv movie. Expand
  82. tia
    Nov 26, 2005
    I loved this movie. I can't believe Joaquin's never sung before! It was an uncanny shaky rock star performance. I love any and all biopics but this one just made my week. Reese was amazing and deserves an Oscar for this. She can act! And her dresses were gorgeous too. The chemistry between the two actors wowed me, they really looked like they were falling in love. It was more of I loved this movie. I can't believe Joaquin's never sung before! It was an uncanny shaky rock star performance. I love any and all biopics but this one just made my week. Reese was amazing and deserves an Oscar for this. She can act! And her dresses were gorgeous too. The chemistry between the two actors wowed me, they really looked like they were falling in love. It was more of a love story, but I enjoy a good love story. Expand
  83. ClintM.
    Nov 28, 2005
    Witherspoon and Phoenix are so deserving of the recent praise they've recieved for their performances in this movie. They're both so talented and completely transform into their characters without making it obvious that they're trying to act like someone they're not. I never knew Johnny Cash or June Carter's music or story and thanks to the makers they don't Witherspoon and Phoenix are so deserving of the recent praise they've recieved for their performances in this movie. They're both so talented and completely transform into their characters without making it obvious that they're trying to act like someone they're not. I never knew Johnny Cash or June Carter's music or story and thanks to the makers they don't punish you for it. The story was totally engaging and rich on so many levels. Expand
  84. Joey
    Dec 11, 2005
    I can't believe how wonderful this movie is! It blows RAY out of the water!!!
  85. MarkB.
    Dec 15, 2005
    It's as predictable a sign of autumn as football, falling leaves and hot chocolate and just as comforting: the annual highly-touted, loaded-for-Oscar-bear musical biopic of the life and troubled times of a much-loved, seminal rock figure that your parents are more familiar with than you are, though if the movie's good, it could change that. (Next year or the year after that, how It's as predictable a sign of autumn as football, falling leaves and hot chocolate and just as comforting: the annual highly-touted, loaded-for-Oscar-bear musical biopic of the life and troubled times of a much-loved, seminal rock figure that your parents are more familiar with than you are, though if the movie's good, it could change that. (Next year or the year after that, how about a Chuck Berry movie starring one of the few current actors who can pull off playing ages 20 through 70: Sam Jackson?) It's interesting to note the schematic similarities in the life stories of last year's subject Ray Charles and this year's, Johnny Cash: both rose from childhoods that were beyond poverty-stricken; both were haunted by guilt arising from a brother's death that neither was at all to blame for, and the pressures of fame and fortune frequently turned both into seemingly unredeemable s.o.b.'s, even if you leave drugs and alcohol out of the equation. Ray, featuring Jamie Foxx's justly lauded impersonation-and-beyond, was a very satisfying entertainment but Walk the Line, if anything, is slightly more so. James Mangold's direction is a bit more meat-and-potatoes and a lot less flashy than Taylor Hackford's of the 2004 film, and that's a good thing: Cash's persona and story are so compelling that they don't need hokey 50's-style montages (Ray's biggest weakness) depicting his rise to the top. Mangold (Cop Land, Identity) gives his film a leisurely pace, allowing it to build its own momentum, and rightly focuses on its two wonderful central performances: Reese Witherspoon's run of sometimes negligable romantic comedy fluffballs may actually have contributed to the real tension she brings to the role of June Carter, Cash's performing partner, collaborator and best friend whom he wants to become Something More. And Joaquin Phoenix, who specializes in playing extremely naive or innocent souls (Ladder 49, Signs, Return to Paradise) brings a toughness and world-weariness to Cash that I didn't know Phoenix had in him. (He also accomplishes the remarkable sequential feat of allowing Cash's famously growly speaking and singing voice to grow and evolve over the years rather than emerging with it full-blown from puberty onward.) Walk the Line hasn't been marketed to the recently-tapped Christian moviegoing community with the aggressiveness of Chronicles of Narnia, and perhaps it should've, but then even though Cash had a solid churchgoing background and kicked various habits later in life largely due to Christianity, the pull and fascination of the dark side throughout his life seems at times to be almost as strong as it was for Anakin Skywalker; you can almost see the little angel and devil miniatures of Cash sitting on his shoulders. (I find it striking and revealing that Cash, near the end of his life, invited Phoenix to dinner at his home...and proceeded to stun the actor by quoting Phoenix's dialogue as evil ruler Commodus in Gladiator line by line.) The honesty with which Walk the Line depicts the married Cash's largely emotional affair with June (a situation that ANYONE who's endured an unrequited crush on a coworker can very easily identify with), and the toll it takes on Cash's marriage is admirable; not only does it refuse to make his wife (Gennifer Godwin) a villainess or justify his neglect of her, but her lament to Cash that he gave her everything but himself comprises the movie's most poignant scene. Walk the Line clearly and rightly admires Cash's abundant songwriting and performing genius and his ability to overcome both circumstantial and self-inflicted tribulations, but doesn't sugarcoat or whitewash any of his behavior, and in the end, I think that's precisely the way that the 'Man in Black' would've wanted it. Expand
  86. HughH.
    Dec 29, 2005
    Great acting. Well worth seeing.
  87. ZaneD
    Dec 29, 2005
    A good film, i believe it focused on the drug life too much. You know what. Read King Folderol comment, i think the same thing he said. But didn
  88. WardC.
    Dec 31, 2005
    Almost depicts Johnny Cash perfectly! A little lower on depicting his wife.
  89. LaunceR.
    Dec 5, 2005
    Joaquin and Reese are very good in this biopic, which follows the genre's standard form too closely. The movie manages to stay very close to the narrative established in a couple of Cash's biographies; the exception, however, would be in the story of Cash's own family and friends. While we see Cash's father and mother, his surviving sibling and friends -- who Joaquin and Reese are very good in this biopic, which follows the genre's standard form too closely. The movie manages to stay very close to the narrative established in a couple of Cash's biographies; the exception, however, would be in the story of Cash's own family and friends. While we see Cash's father and mother, his surviving sibling and friends -- who apparently played very central roles in drying out the drugged up and drunken pop star -- are missing. Also, I fault the film for largely ignoring the important role of Cash's Christianity in his recovery and his art. Cash was a progressive evangelical, a species of Christian that has almost vanished from the public arena in the United States today. I wish more on that had been included. Still, not the worst waste of celluloid in this otherwise desolate holiday season. Expand
  90. PJ
    Jan 13, 2006
    Mediocre, disappointing, slow. For someone so talented and ambitious, Cash's primary attributes in this portrayal are timidity and luck. I don't know anyone personally who really liked this movie.
  91. EvanS.
    Jan 21, 2006
    After last year's overblown hype of "Ray," it's good to watch the easy and honest tone of "Walk the Line." I liked Phoenix and Witherspoon and have deep admiration for their willingness to risk singing. They did a decent job and the characters and portrayal felt truer for it.
  92. Alexander
    Jan 22, 2006
    this movie was just incredible. i love his music and Joaquin Phoenix does and incredible portail of the late Mr. Cash.
  93. EstherN.
    Feb 17, 2006
    One of the best--great music, great performances, great entertainment, great direction-just plain great.
  94. KenG.
    Mar 16, 2006
    I really hope there was more to Johnny Cash then the wimpy, whiny, weak character that Phoenix potrayed him as. If it's possible to sue from the grave, filmmakers could expect to be served with papers from Cash anytime soon. Witherspoon confirms what Rene Zellweger's oscar for "Cold mountain" suggested. That all an actress has to do to win an oscar is is put on a southern I really hope there was more to Johnny Cash then the wimpy, whiny, weak character that Phoenix potrayed him as. If it's possible to sue from the grave, filmmakers could expect to be served with papers from Cash anytime soon. Witherspoon confirms what Rene Zellweger's oscar for "Cold mountain" suggested. That all an actress has to do to win an oscar is is put on a southern accent, and act sassy. Expand
  95. CaptainS.
    Mar 29, 2006
    Not a great movie, but on the other hand, not a bad movie. Honestly I wasn't that interested in Johnny Cash's life, but one can't help but get caught up in the wonderful ups and terrible downs in this film. Amazing at all the talent that came through Memphis TN and Sun Records back in the 1950s...astounding. That being said, when I see a movie about particular people, I Not a great movie, but on the other hand, not a bad movie. Honestly I wasn't that interested in Johnny Cash's life, but one can't help but get caught up in the wonderful ups and terrible downs in this film. Amazing at all the talent that came through Memphis TN and Sun Records back in the 1950s...astounding. That being said, when I see a movie about particular people, I like the actors in the movie to "look" like those particular people. Sorry...just the way I am, I suppose. Rivers doesn't look anything like Cash (nor sound like him) and Witherspoon doesn't look anything like June Carter Cash (Thanks goodness). Other than that, a decent movie. Expand
  96. BrianH.
    Nov 18, 2005
    The Best Movie in Two Years.
  97. WadeT.
    Nov 18, 2005
    A solid, if traditionally structured, biopic that captures much of the look, feel, and sensibility of the times. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon get kudos for doing all their own singing, but it's in the smaller moments, the grace notes, of their performances that they really shine. Excellent turns by a number of supporting players as well. And, of course, the music is A solid, if traditionally structured, biopic that captures much of the look, feel, and sensibility of the times. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon get kudos for doing all their own singing, but it's in the smaller moments, the grace notes, of their performances that they really shine. Excellent turns by a number of supporting players as well. And, of course, the music is appropriately the center and soul of the picture throughout. Expand
  98. RevR.
    Nov 18, 2005
    There are two acts to this movie. The first moves as slow as syrup. Cash was a tormented, complex artist. The entire first movement hinged on blaming his self-destructive behavior on his brother's death accompanied by hiis father's scorn. The second act is a ring of fire. Cash's relationship with June Carter adds passion to this film and saves it from total mediocrity. If There are two acts to this movie. The first moves as slow as syrup. Cash was a tormented, complex artist. The entire first movement hinged on blaming his self-destructive behavior on his brother's death accompanied by hiis father's scorn. The second act is a ring of fire. Cash's relationship with June Carter adds passion to this film and saves it from total mediocrity. If his brother's death and father's scorn were his downfall, his love of June Carter was his salvation. Both Phoenix and Witherspoon bring their characters to believable life; and Phoenix should be commended on attempting to sing like Cash. LIke Dylan, Johnny Cash was one of the truly distinct voices in rock and country; therefore, Phoenix deserves his accolades. However, there was too much life and living in the life of Johnny Cash to capture in film. Perhaps, this is why many may be merciful in their judgement. Still, Carter's salvation of Cash would have been more powerful and moving if we had more insight into the depth of his great despair. Expand
  99. BillyS.
    Nov 19, 2005
    In a year thats typically overcrowded with potential Best Actor nominees, Joaquin Phoenix gives a performance that virtually guaratees him a place on the short list come January, but in Walk The Line, it is Reese Witherspoon who changes from box office movie star to the frontrunner for Academy Award winning actress! I don't know how, but she manages to steal the film right out from In a year thats typically overcrowded with potential Best Actor nominees, Joaquin Phoenix gives a performance that virtually guaratees him a place on the short list come January, but in Walk The Line, it is Reese Witherspoon who changes from box office movie star to the frontrunner for Academy Award winning actress! I don't know how, but she manages to steal the film right out from under the actor playing, brilliantly at that, Johnny Cash himself. Expand
  100. AlanJ.
    Nov 19, 2005
    Very excellent film. The director takes a more emotional view of Cash's life than the journalist approach used by the director of "Ray". A smart script. The vocals were quite up to Johnny Cash but that is why a movie is being made about him and his musical contributions.

1. There are too many musical performances in this movie, even for a country fan such as myself, to keep the city slickers engaged. This bespeaks great faith in the charisma of the stars, who merit it. They also, however, deserved a better script.
    I couldn't imagine anyone better suited to play the role. But this movie is a lot less interesting than it might be. Though it's not bad--in fact, it's rather sweet--it's too simple a portrait of a very complicated and calculating entertainer.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Walk the Line is a strongly acted, musically vibrant, conventionally satisfying biopic of country/rock/blues legend Johnny Cash and his second wife, June Carter.