7.9

1. Mar 25, 2011
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, walk the line. in entertaining movie with a good message. Don't do speed or you will lose everything but gain a wife. Even so the main part of the movie was to shoe that he walked the line, been to the worst place almost any Artist could go and came out of it. He was the first person that people said was messed up in the music biz.
  2. Jul 22, 2013
    Walk the Line is essentially a biopic of the legendary Johnny Cash starting with his road to prominence and taking us through his rocky marriage and battle against drug addiction.

Walk the Line is certainly a slow burner of a movie, director James Mangold deciding not to give his movie the 'Hollywood treatment'. Thankfully though the two leads, Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon, are
    both fantastic. Even going as far as too sing their own vocals they are the main component in lifting the movie above others in the genre. The other component is of course the fantastic soundtrack featuring classic songs like Ring of Fire and Folsom City Blues that certainly kept me humming for days after. Expand
  3. Mar 22, 2013
    Johnny Cash undoubtedly left an everlasting legacy after his death in 2003, and there was inevitably going to be a biopic of the iconic country singer, so soon perhaps was surprising, but here we have it, and a truly riveting, compelling and entertaining tale has been told by director James Mangold.
    We start off seeing John 'JR' Cash inside Folsom prison, about to take to the stage in one
    of the most high profile concerts in recent memory. Joaquin Phoenix steps into the famed singer's shoes, and does an emotionally satisfying and shockingly accurate rendition of the Man in Black.
    The film then seemingly transforms into a flashback, as Johnny thinks back to his days as a Christian child, not at all the favourite son of his discipline happy dad, he often listens to bible tunes on the radio, to the dismay of his father.
    After a tragic accident, we see a grown up Johnny joining the army, and he spends most of his free time writing songs, mainly things that seem to annoy him or that are constantly on his mind. He soon returns home to a wife and a life not quite what he had hoped for as a door to door salesman, he happens upon a recording studio run by Sam Philips (Dallas Roberts) who convinces Johnny to sing something of his own, simply telling him that people don't want to hear bible music....and so begins the unforgettable career of the legend.
    Joaquin Phoenix delivers his most memorable and certainly the most close to life of any biopic tale of Cash, combining his rusky voice with the charm and charisma of the real thing. His struggles with the beautiful June Carter (Reese Witherspoon) are chronicled in this excellent tale of a complex trial and error story, one which shot Cash to the highest stardom of his life but one which also made him face his darkest demons.
    We watch as the celebrity stigma with Cash perhaps becomes too much, and he begins to delve in the narcotic way of life, eventually destroying his marriage and possible his career.
    All the songs that made him as we know him today are present, and Phoenix couldn't be more on par with the man he is portraying, it is sometimes a pinch yourself moment just to make sure you are listening to the real thing,
    What truly leaks from this picture is Cash's attempt to constantly make his dad proud, something he never seems to get, and perhaps the reason behind his spiral out of control.
    A truly powerful and exhilarating biopic that cannot be missed, showing the life of one of the most charismatic, egotistical yet brilliant musicians of all time, Johnny Cash.
  4. Nov 22, 2012
    Walk the Line is a beautiful film that takes the audience through the destruction and ultimate redemption of the immortal artist's life, emphasized by the flawless lead performances.
  5. Jan 21, 2013
    Biopics are never the most interesting of stories but Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon are absolutely wonderful in their roles. It is a very believable friendship and love they have for one another, and the music is great!
  6. Jan 3, 2013
    Being an ultimate fan of Johnny Cash, I was very happy with the way this film turned out. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon both nailed their performances in voice and poisture. The also went into great lengths of how drug addiction can ruin your life and how stopping can rebuild it. And the music was mind-blowing. Especially because it was the actors singing it. Great film!
  7. Aug 11, 2013
    Not only is it the greatest, most evocative filmic depiction of a musician I've ever seen, it's easily one of the top three biopics I have ever seen. With Phoenix and Witherspoon's frighteningly uncanny performances, a superbly thematic script, a brilliant set of images, and an obviously extraordinary musical atmosphere, "Walk The Line" is nothing short of immaculate.
  8. Jun 7, 2013
    Roger Ebert said this about the film and I completely agree with him: "The music is great, the drama is great, the writing is great, the performances are great, I love it!" Joaquin Phoenix gives a brilliant performance as Johnny Cash, and Reese Witherspoon gives the performance of her career.
  9. Feb 13, 2013
    A simply brilliant film that really gets behind the complex troubles that made Johnny cash who he was. The best part about this film is Reese Witherspoon's performance as June Carter, although ironically she seems to have a more polished voice than June but she still captures her character and her love for Johnny. The film ends on a romantic vibe which makes you forget about the adultery, heartache and drug use that had to happen before. It covers a lot of deep and heavy topics but the soundtrack and the tour sequences keep the film on an upbeat and feel good beat. Definitely an all time favourite! Expand
  10. Aug 18, 2013
    Esta pelicula me gusto mucho, me parecio una buena pelicula para ser de su genero, me conmovio mucho el tema de la pelicula, me parecio grandioso; me gustaron las actuaciones de Joaquin Phoenix y Reese Whiterspoon.
  11. Aug 4, 2013
    Not all the parts were completely true but they had to keep the movie short enough to keep attention. I think it would be better with the deleted scenes. I still loved it. Music is great, clothes, cars, hair, was very good.some were wondering why Jerry lee Lewis was in there. Jerry was touring with John and they were good friends. John was weaker in the movie than I thought. Movie of my overall review was a fantastic film still deleted scenes would have made it better but it is my favorite movie ever. I'd totally give this movie 20 points if I could. Helped? Email me at JadaO00@hotmail.com no negative please Expand

1. There are too many musical performances in this movie, even for a country fan such as myself, to keep the city slickers engaged. This bespeaks great faith in the charisma of the stars, who merit it. They also, however, deserved a better script.
    I couldn't imagine anyone better suited to play the role. But this movie is a lot less interesting than it might be. Though it's not bad--in fact, it's rather sweet--it's too simple a portrait of a very complicated and calculating entertainer.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Walk the Line is a strongly acted, musically vibrant, conventionally satisfying biopic of country/rock/blues legend Johnny Cash and his second wife, June Carter.