8.2

1. Aug 27, 2010
    Ari Folman uses his lost memory of his presence in the massacres at Beirut during the Lebanese Civil War to craft a dazzling sudo-documentary, whose vivid animation complements the advent of his visceral, dummy recollections from pure imagination to grueling reality. Though the experience is completely enveloping as it is, the movie moves needlessly in slow motion, as if for the soleAri Folman uses his lost memory of his presence in the massacres at Beirut during the Lebanese Civil War to craft a dazzling sudo-documentary, whose vivid animation complements the advent of his visceral, dummy recollections from pure imagination to grueling reality. Though the experience is completely enveloping as it is, the movie moves needlessly in slow motion, as if for the sole purpose of stretching time. Still, it's a minor complaint in an otherwise fantastic movie. Expand
  2. Mar 10, 2012
    Wow. I can't rate this film highly enough. First of all we have a great screenplay, based on the first hand accounts / recollections of the director and some of his fellow soldiers in the Israeli conflict with Lebanon in 1982. Perhaps for budgetary reasons animation is used instead of live action to tell this tale. The animation / rotoscoping is nonetheless stunning (for the most part),Wow. I can't rate this film highly enough. First of all we have a great screenplay, based on the first hand accounts / recollections of the director and some of his fellow soldiers in the Israeli conflict with Lebanon in 1982. Perhaps for budgetary reasons animation is used instead of live action to tell this tale. The animation / rotoscoping is nonetheless stunning (for the most part), and adds rather than detracts from the narrative. A film about memory, war, guilt, friendship and more. A powerfully emotional ending. A great film, an important film, watch it. Expand
  3. Feb 2, 2011
    My favorite animated movie hands down. Beautifully done, haunting, and goes to depths of horror that you wouldn't think is real, but unfortunately it did happen. If it was not so grotesque this should be shown in all classes in high school or college and teach people about religious, ethnic, and racial tolerance.
  4. May 25, 2012
    I'm glad that they animated a war film, which is very unique. The story is very deep with emotion and the feeling. The animation is just fantastic, well-mad for a war film. Everything is amazing about this film from start to the intriguing ending. One of the best animated films of all time.........
  5. Jan 28, 2012
    Il était intéressant de se plonger dans l'intervention israélienne au Liban en 1982. Il était intéressant de la part du réalisateur de nous livrer une oeuvre sur ce sujet sous la forme d'un documentaire. Mais je me demande pourquoi avoir réalisé ce dernier en animation? Il faut leIl était intéressant de se plonger dans l'intervention israélienne au Liban en 1982. Il était intéressant de la part du réalisateur de nous livrer une oeuvre sur ce sujet sous la forme d'un documentaire. Mais je me demande pourquoi avoir réalisé ce dernier en animation? Il faut le reconnaître, cela apporte beaucoup de style à l'ambiance (trop...) hypnotique du film. Le problème reste cependant les personnages, bien trop inexpressifs pour que l'on accorde la moindre crédibilité à leurs paroles. Heureusement, les doubleurs français sont là pour apporter une immense part d'humanité aux protagonistes et intervenants (en même temps, nous avons les voix de Patrick Floersheim, Michel Papineschi, Jacques Frantz...). Reste que Valse avec Bachir soit une oeuvre tout de même puissante, sur la guerre et notamment la culpabilité. Collapse
  6. Jan 6, 2012
    The best animated film of the decade. The best foreign film of the decade. the best documentary of the decade. One of the very best films of the decade. A deeply moving, thought provoking and artistically designed masterpiece. Anyone who said wall-e or the dark knight was the best film of 2008 did not see this film or synecdoche,new york(which was the best film of that year and the decade)
  7. Apr 23, 2013
    Ending up watching this movie is so much like waking up from a bad dream, when everything beside us, all of a sudden becomes harsh reality from long-forgotten vivid images. Ari Folman takes us to a frightening post-war world where everyone seems to be living in a trance, hiding form their own memory from days past. A war documentary like this, is one of its kind, and the never-seen-beforeEnding up watching this movie is so much like waking up from a bad dream, when everything beside us, all of a sudden becomes harsh reality from long-forgotten vivid images. Ari Folman takes us to a frightening post-war world where everyone seems to be living in a trance, hiding form their own memory from days past. A war documentary like this, is one of its kind, and the never-seen-before animation technique adds something really different in this movie. It lets you stuck in your sofa, thanking god because your teenage was never like this. And you didn't have to see another haunted ocean.

Watch. And think. And imagine. Because its real. And not so real.
  8. May 13, 2015
    Well that was dark movie, but it was great.

The story is about the atrocities of war, they're not sure if their dreams are real, imaginary, or just the gateway to a flood of memories they'd rather not have to face. Waltz with Bashir is the best animated movie for adults and film lovers out there. The movie is dark, shocking and it was good choice to make it animated, why you ask well
    Well that was dark movie, but it was great.

Waltz with Bashir is the best animated movie for adults and film lovers out there. The movie is dark, shocking and it was good choice to make it animated, why you ask well with animation you can animate whatever you and I'm talking about you can make it gritty, happy, depressing or realistic, and the animation in this movie fitted the tone perfectly.

I'm not going to talk any more of Waltz with Bashir and I know I should tell you all about the movie but I think this one is special and to the people who haven't seen yet and just came across this review, the only thing I have to say to you is go watch it knowing nothing and see what kind of experience you get, if you hate that's fine it's your opinion but if you love it good for you.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    A bravura documentary which balances the personal and the political as it peers into the First Lebanon War, its animated approach never feeling like a novelty. Astonishing, unforgettable: you have to see it.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    The images of war that Folman and his chief illustrator, David Polonsky, conjure up have a feverish, infernal beauty. Dreams and reality jumble together.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Brunette
    The chosen style of animation leads to a distracting choppiness that renders the movements, gestures and facial expressions of the interviewees unconvincing. The other problem is that, memory naturally being something that returns in fits and starts, the film is rarely able to sustain any consistent narrative thrust.