Waltz with Bashir

8.1

1. aaronL.
    Mar 9, 2009
    Animated views of war. No real plot. All the horrors of war, which we already know, shown to us through animation. I really did no like this movie, could not get into it, and felt it was a waste of time. It would be okay to expose someone to the follies of war, but even for that there are much better movies. I have never seen the critics so far off!
  2. iainf
    May 5, 2009
    Whilst let down by the animation in some parts of the film, overall the unique visual style this film encorporates captures the feel of the film's narrative perfectly. From the electrifying start, to the shocking and emotionally wrenching ending, Waltz With Bashir never ceased to disapoint. One of the best films to come from Israel of all time.
  3. Nate
    Jul 1, 2009
    This is a wonderful film, haunting and moving at the same time. The animation is an effective tool that film makers do not use to its full potential. I can see why the critics loved it so much. Anyone saying that they did not understand the film should not be watching it. If your confused by the plot of Transformers you should probably stop watching films and go back to picture books and This is a wonderful film, haunting and moving at the same time. The animation is an effective tool that film makers do not use to its full potential. I can see why the critics loved it so much. Anyone saying that they did not understand the film should not be watching it. If your confused by the plot of Transformers you should probably stop watching films and go back to picture books and pop up books. Also saying that this is propaganda is just being ignorant of soldiers and the effects of post traumatic stress. This movie should be watched. Expand
  4. ChristosM
    Jul 8, 2009
    The strongest anti-war statement in years,exploring not only the consequences of war,but the undefined,yet undeniable power of the human nature and subconscious to deny it's devastating power.Ari Folman tried to achieve his own personal catharsis by making this film,but what he actually achieves is creating a shocking essay about one of the most ancient,destructive human practises andThe strongest anti-war statement in years,exploring not only the consequences of war,but the undefined,yet undeniable power of the human nature and subconscious to deny it's devastating power.Ari Folman tried to achieve his own personal catharsis by making this film,but what he actually achieves is creating a shocking essay about one of the most ancient,destructive human practises and an artistic triumph as well,judging by the hypnotizing way the animation reveals the surreal,nightmarish side of a forever burning Middle East! Expand
  5. Dave
    Feb 1, 2009
    Fantastic film, and definitely deserving of the Golden Globe award that it received. The animation is just amazing, and the story itself was very moving. To Droog D, I really can't understand how you would find this boring. Maybe you should just go rent Transformers!
  6. JaneE.
    Feb 7, 2009
    More than anything, this was an incredible war movie. Even though it covers a few of the particulars of the war in Beirut, the experiences it captures could have taken place in almost any war. Visually it is remarkable, and it gives viewers a lot to think about.
  7. MikeMike
    Mar 1, 2009
    Wow. This movie bored me to sleep. The animation style is fairly interesting but the disjointed story just didn't have enough to keep me interested. Maybe more real footage would have made me care. I'm not PC enough to rate this higher than a generous 5. Israeli and Lebanese viewers may be interested. Others may just snooze and wish for something, anything, more.
  8. EdwardK
    May 8, 2009
    The clever animation technique couldn't save this film. And I didn't see the value in animating the "talking heads" scenes of this documentary. Furthermore, I found the sequence of events confusing at times. Given the excellent reviews, I found myself disappointed.
  9. DanielaV
    Jun 2, 2009
    It is a brilliant movie.
  10. SimonM
    Jun 26, 2009
    Propaganda effort that attempts to excuse Israeli involvement in Lebanon. Cleverly done in admitting a portion of the blame and having the protagonists feeling amnesiac guilt. Ignores the current west bank and does not refer to it once despite the impossibility of ignoring it. No Lebanese co accused to share the blame in that I reckon.
  11. FireFox
    Dec 28, 2008
    Simply beautiful ! This one is a must !
  12. ShaneS.
    Jan 26, 2009
    As visually stunning as it is powerfully poetic. A masterpiece in every sense of the word, this is one of those rare films that serves as a revelation both aesthetically and politically.
  13. TsviS.
    Jan 28, 2009
    first when i heared about this movie i was scared that it will be more a " saying " and less a film, but except from the last scene ( which is also not so much not in place ) this movie is a masterpiece , fascinating , i could not lose focus for a seconed when i watched it , making a film that is both surreal and making sense is somthing to be appreciated, though i the drawing was real first when i heared about this movie i was scared that it will be more a " saying " and less a film, but except from the last scene ( which is also not so much not in place ) this movie is a masterpiece , fascinating , i could not lose focus for a seconed when i watched it , making a film that is both surreal and making sense is somthing to be appreciated, though i the drawing was real art the animation was slow a bit , but it is not a pixar film . Expand
  14. KennethM.
    Feb 3, 2009
    Wow, simply epic. One of the best war films I've ever seen, and highly desrving of whatever awards it recieves. Droog, boring? Perhaps you should try ritalin.
  15. BobN
    Jul 4, 2009
    Gotta say, I really wanted to like this film. Truth be told, it was sleep inducing. I understand the method: everything is in dreamstate or nightmare-realm untill the end-surprise-cut to live shot. The end is a great scene, but the rest of the film is lacking. Having experienced true horrors in my life, and having been to the depths of the human psyche, I appreciate the effort of this Gotta say, I really wanted to like this film. Truth be told, it was sleep inducing. I understand the method: everything is in dreamstate or nightmare-realm untill the end-surprise-cut to live shot. The end is a great scene, but the rest of the film is lacking. Having experienced true horrors in my life, and having been to the depths of the human psyche, I appreciate the effort of this film...unfortunately, it all felt contrived, fake, and meaning to make a buck off of a sad-typical-soldier as victim but not story. Props for trying, but I believe this is a failure. Critics are way off on this one. Expand
  16. JeffKerr
    Sep 4, 2009
    Very powerful. The folks labeling it propaganda are off base. This film isn't about the war in Lebanon; it's about war, period. Even so, I don't see where it excuses Israel. Rather, if you take Ari as a metaphor for his country, he is horrified to realize that his actions enabled the killers.
  17. DroogD.
    Dec 27, 2008
    Wonderful animation ... and incredibly boring.
  18. Steveb.
    Jan 21, 2009
    There's a lot to like in this film. But there's also enough not to be crazy about. Like it's slow, kinda talky, preachy almost, and the theme that war is hell, is, well, kinda old.
  19. JanY
    Feb 14, 2009
    Amn excellent film in terms of its animated appeal, but the story loses its strength of emotional appeal and would become easily forgotten. What value does this film project, except to say that in wars, none who is responsible for killing the innocents, directly or indirectly, has the right to claim victory. Oh yeah, the film does confirm the fact that the many, who fight in wars and Amn excellent film in terms of its animated appeal, but the story loses its strength of emotional appeal and would become easily forgotten. What value does this film project, except to say that in wars, none who is responsible for killing the innocents, directly or indirectly, has the right to claim victory. Oh yeah, the film does confirm the fact that the many, who fight in wars and survive, will never live a normal live. But it never does end the fact that there will still be many who would sign up to fight and do exactly what their commanders tell them to do... morally or immorally, ethically or unethically. If anything, this film will only confirm that Israel will continue to be associated with the killing of mass innocents and thus continue to prompt endless revenge against the nation and its citizens. Does any nation really want its citizens to continue living out nightmares and guilt? Apparently, Israel does! Expand
  20. JayH
    Jun 18, 2009
    Very moving and disturbing, the animation is surprisingly effective. Very unique and innovative. The story is told exceptionally well. Good writing and direction.The score is particularly good.
  21. MattKasmir
    Jul 14, 2009
    I haven't enjoyed watching a movie this much in a long time. Anyone saying it is propaganda is very off, this movie is definitely told from a certain bias, that of solely Israeli soldiers. That does not make it propaganda in the slightest, as these people are simply telling it how they remembered it. The animation is very effective I also think, and the last 5 minutes of the movie areI haven't enjoyed watching a movie this much in a long time. Anyone saying it is propaganda is very off, this movie is definitely told from a certain bias, that of solely Israeli soldiers. That does not make it propaganda in the slightest, as these people are simply telling it how they remembered it. The animation is very effective I also think, and the last 5 minutes of the movie are so emotionally shocking, it makes it seem so real, as if the viewer can actually understand and comprehend the horrors of these events(although of course we can't really) Collapse
  22. Bzzt
    Dec 29, 2008
    More than just a film truly a personal act of self expression.
  23. Aug 27, 2010
    Ari Folman uses his lost memory of his presence in the massacres at Beirut during the Lebanese Civil War to craft a dazzling sudo-documentary, whose vivid animation complements the advent of his visceral, dummy recollections from pure imagination to grueling reality. Though the experience is completely enveloping as it is, the movie moves needlessly in slow motion, as if for the soleAri Folman uses his lost memory of his presence in the massacres at Beirut during the Lebanese Civil War to craft a dazzling sudo-documentary, whose vivid animation complements the advent of his visceral, dummy recollections from pure imagination to grueling reality. Though the experience is completely enveloping as it is, the movie moves needlessly in slow motion, as if for the sole purpose of stretching time. Still, it's a minor complaint in an otherwise fantastic movie. Expand
  24. Mar 10, 2012
    Wow. I can't rate this film highly enough. First of all we have a great screenplay, based on the first hand accounts / recollections of the director and some of his fellow soldiers in the Israeli conflict with Lebanon in 1982. Perhaps for budgetary reasons animation is used instead of live action to tell this tale. The animation / rotoscoping is nonetheless stunning (for the most part),Wow. I can't rate this film highly enough. First of all we have a great screenplay, based on the first hand accounts / recollections of the director and some of his fellow soldiers in the Israeli conflict with Lebanon in 1982. Perhaps for budgetary reasons animation is used instead of live action to tell this tale. The animation / rotoscoping is nonetheless stunning (for the most part), and adds rather than detracts from the narrative. A film about memory, war, guilt, friendship and more. A powerfully emotional ending. A great film, an important film, watch it. Expand
  25. Feb 2, 2011
    My favorite animated movie hands down. Beautifully done, haunting, and goes to depths of horror that you wouldn't think is real, but unfortunately it did happen. If it was not so grotesque this should be shown in all classes in high school or college and teach people about religious, ethnic, and racial tolerance.
  26. May 25, 2012
    I'm glad that they animated a war film, which is very unique. The story is very deep with emotion and the feeling. The animation is just fantastic, well-mad for a war film. Everything is amazing about this film from start to the intriguing ending. One of the best animated films of all time.........
  27. Jan 28, 2012
    Il était intéressant de se plonger dans l'intervention israélienne au Liban en 1982. Il était intéressant de la part du réalisateur de nous livrer une oeuvre sur ce sujet sous la forme d'un documentaire. Mais je me demande pourquoi avoir réalisé ce dernier en animation? Il faut leIl était intéressant de se plonger dans l'intervention israélienne au Liban en 1982. Il était intéressant de la part du réalisateur de nous livrer une oeuvre sur ce sujet sous la forme d'un documentaire. Mais je me demande pourquoi avoir réalisé ce dernier en animation? Il faut le reconnaître, cela apporte beaucoup de style à l'ambiance (trop...) hypnotique du film. Le problème reste cependant les personnages, bien trop inexpressifs pour que l'on accorde la moindre crédibilité à leurs paroles. Heureusement, les doubleurs français sont là pour apporter une immense part d'humanité aux protagonistes et intervenants (en même temps, nous avons les voix de Patrick Floersheim, Michel Papineschi, Jacques Frantz...). Reste que Valse avec Bachir soit une oeuvre tout de même puissante, sur la guerre et notamment la culpabilité. Expand
  28. Jan 6, 2012
    The best animated film of the decade. The best foreign film of the decade. the best documentary of the decade. One of the very best films of the decade. A deeply moving, thought provoking and artistically designed masterpiece. Anyone who said wall-e or the dark knight was the best film of 2008 did not see this film or synecdoche,new york(which was the best film of that year and the decade)
  29. Apr 23, 2013
    Ending up watching this movie is so much like waking up from a bad dream, when everything beside us, all of a sudden becomes harsh reality from long-forgotten vivid images. Ari Folman takes us to a frightening post-war world where everyone seems to be living in a trance, hiding form their own memory from days past. A war documentary like this, is one of its kind, and the never-seen-beforeEnding up watching this movie is so much like waking up from a bad dream, when everything beside us, all of a sudden becomes harsh reality from long-forgotten vivid images. Ari Folman takes us to a frightening post-war world where everyone seems to be living in a trance, hiding form their own memory from days past. A war documentary like this, is one of its kind, and the never-seen-before animation technique adds something really different in this movie. It lets you stuck in your sofa, thanking god because your teenage was never like this. And you didn't have to see another haunted ocean.

Watch. And think. And imagine. Because its real. And not so real.
  30. May 13, 2015
    Well that was dark movie, but it was great.

The story is about the atrocities of war, they're not sure if their dreams are real, imaginary, or just the gateway to a flood of memories they'd rather not have to face. Waltz with Bashir is the best animated movie for adults and film lovers out there. The movie is dark, shocking and it was good choice to make it animated, why you ask well
    Well that was dark movie, but it was great.

Waltz with Bashir is the best animated movie for adults and film lovers out there. The movie is dark, shocking and it was good choice to make it animated, why you ask well with animation you can animate whatever you and I'm talking about you can make it gritty, happy, depressing or realistic, and the animation in this movie fitted the tone perfectly.

I'm not going to talk any more of Waltz with Bashir and I know I should tell you all about the movie but I think this one is special and to the people who haven't seen yet and just came across this review, the only thing I have to say to you is go watch it knowing nothing and see what kind of experience you get, if you hate that's fine it's your opinion but if you love it good for you.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    A bravura documentary which balances the personal and the political as it peers into the First Lebanon War, its animated approach never feeling like a novelty. Astonishing, unforgettable: you have to see it.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    The images of war that Folman and his chief illustrator, David Polonsky, conjure up have a feverish, infernal beauty. Dreams and reality jumble together.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Brunette
    The chosen style of animation leads to a distracting choppiness that renders the movements, gestures and facial expressions of the interviewees unconvincing. The other problem is that, memory naturally being something that returns in fits and starts, the film is rarely able to sustain any consistent narrative thrust.