Wanted

5.4

1. GlenA.
    Nov 8, 2008
    This is not the worst film in the world but it is definitely nowhere near the best. I have given a 4 since the film kept me moderately entertained while on a long car journey. I knew half what to expect: mindless violence with a stupid plot and over the top action scenes and this is exactly what Wanted delivered. If you are prepared to switch your brain off then it could provide some This is not the worst film in the world but it is definitely nowhere near the best. I have given a 4 since the film kept me moderately entertained while on a long car journey. I knew half what to expect: mindless violence with a stupid plot and over the top action scenes and this is exactly what Wanted delivered. If you are prepared to switch your brain off then it could provide some entertainment value. Expand
  2. Apr 17, 2013
    Action was ok but nothing impressive. Acting is solid. The plot never really goes any where and is rather generic when compared to other action films. I got very sick of all the slow motion very early on in the film, It was a bit much imo. Overall, It was an ok movie, I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.
  3. Kevin
    Jun 30, 2008
    Sexy action, yes. Jaw dropping action, no. Script, poorly written. "Fraternity' cliche...yes. This is enjoyable to see in a theater, but not worth the cost of an evening ticket - see as a matinee.
  4. GiancarloB.
    Jun 22, 2008
    wasn't that good of a movie i saw an early screening of it and i didn't like it much it was very very unrealistic at some parts. i personally think it was one of those movies that u ether loved or didn't think much of. some parts were really cool but just didn't have that feeling of like..... being able to believe that anyone could do them.
  5. Oct 15, 2011
    Can't really understand how this movie could get this high metascore. Poor movie with even worse acting by Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy. The only good thing of it was Morgan Freeman. He's still epic.
  6. DanaM.
    Jul 3, 2008
    I wish I could have liked this movie, except every time I looked at my wife during the screening she had her hands over her eyes. Can you say violent? This movie puts Kill Bill in the docile category. Not for the timid or young viewers.
  7. SteveG
    Jul 7, 2008
    How does one rate a movie that has spectacular visual effects, pretty much non-stop action and Angelina Jolie at her sultriest? When you add to that list of accolades: the most ridiculous main plot device in the history of movies ("the loom of fate"), the retarded use of rats as incendiary devices that apparently do no damage and characters that are supposed to be superhuman who have the How does one rate a movie that has spectacular visual effects, pretty much non-stop action and Angelina Jolie at her sultriest? When you add to that list of accolades: the most ridiculous main plot device in the history of movies ("the loom of fate"), the retarded use of rats as incendiary devices that apparently do no damage and characters that are supposed to be superhuman who have the need to get up close and personal to their targets (which allows them to be easily set up) . . . . This movie is an entertaining roller coaster type distraction. That is it. Some may love the film for the visuals and action; some may hate it for insulting the audience's intelligence. They're both right. At least there will be no sequel, as every main character (except one - our hero) dies. Thank god for that. Expand
  8. CaseyB.
    Jul 9, 2008
    Very pretty but James McAvoy isn't Edward Norton.
  9. SyzygyZ.
    Jun 28, 2008
    Just a dumb manufactured thriller. Even its occasional wit felt cheap. Its loud, its oh so slick and, despite not taking anything what happens on screen seriously, i still couldn't get past the total total emotional disconnect.
  10. CaitlynS.
    Jun 28, 2008
    If anyone has read the comic book wanted, this movie is the biggest dissapointment ever. The second half of the movie was completely fabricated. do yourself a favor and just read the real thing and don't subject yourself to the slaughtered hollywood movie.
  11. MarkA
    Jun 30, 2008
    Three words sum it up. "Loom Of FAAAAATE"! Very disappointing, especially the ending. If you can COMPLETELY shut your brain off, it's a decent action flic, but that's it.
  12. KeirB.
    Jul 1, 2008
    The only great thing about this film is James McAvoy's performance. Jolie & Freeman sleepwalk through the film, and the action sequences are just too unbelievable to enjoy.
  13. TylerD.
    Jul 6, 2008
    This movie started strong, but seriously took a nose dive after like 20 minutes. Worthless story line along with a way to skinny Jolie who didn't show me anything the whole movie. I kept waiting for something to happen and the story just got worse and worse. Nothing new here in this one, it is easily the worst movie I have seen this year. Go see the Incredible Hulk if you are looking This movie started strong, but seriously took a nose dive after like 20 minutes. Worthless story line along with a way to skinny Jolie who didn't show me anything the whole movie. I kept waiting for something to happen and the story just got worse and worse. Nothing new here in this one, it is easily the worst movie I have seen this year. Go see the Incredible Hulk if you are looking for a good action film, at least you will get good exciting and a good story. Expand
  14. JeffJ.
    Jul 7, 2008
    Less than I expected, that's for sure. There were some humorous moments (the Loom of Fate is forever memorable) and Angelina Jolie is definitely a screen presence but this was a fair movie at best. When you're aware that it's a movie and look at your watch, it's a bad sign.
  15. RyanP.
    Jul 8, 2008
    A bit of fight club + a lot of matrix + a little star wars (you are my son instead of i am your father... come on!) = wanted. See it if you like special effects and don't mind the reckless borrowing from better films.
  16. JaeQ
    Aug 1, 2008
    6.7 is definitely overrating this movie. The plot was stupid and the twist was predictable, my little brother knew hwat the twist was gonna be 25 mins into the movie, no joke. The bullet curving is so stupid, such a childish concept, how would moving the gun effect the bullets motion, I mean even in a basic understanding of physics you'd realize wherever the gun is pointing when the 6.7 is definitely overrating this movie. The plot was stupid and the twist was predictable, my little brother knew hwat the twist was gonna be 25 mins into the movie, no joke. The bullet curving is so stupid, such a childish concept, how would moving the gun effect the bullets motion, I mean even in a basic understanding of physics you'd realize wherever the gun is pointing when the trigger is pulled the bullet goes... You want a fast paced, reality curving gun action movie, watch the matrix one and two at least they had a storyline (wasn't a big fan of the third). Expand
  17. JonK.
    Oct 21, 2008
    The plot and storyline is laughable. The petty scenes of revenge against the office tyrant, the ex-girlfriend, the best friend are pitiful and revealing of the scriptwriter's emotional maturity. Come to think of it, the whole film says a lot about how old the writers were. Redeemed only by James McAvoy who is over the top and verging on melodrama but is somehow appropriate for this The plot and storyline is laughable. The petty scenes of revenge against the office tyrant, the ex-girlfriend, the best friend are pitiful and revealing of the scriptwriter's emotional maturity. Come to think of it, the whole film says a lot about how old the writers were. Redeemed only by James McAvoy who is over the top and verging on melodrama but is somehow appropriate for this messy film. Expand
  18. KenS.
    Dec 20, 2008
    This movie offers nonstop action from start to finish, but there's nothing else to keep viewers interested. If you want to watch a mindless film without any semblance of reality, then this movie is for you. If you want to be able to have some brain activity while still being entertained, then find another film.
  19. BenR.
    Jun 30, 2008
    Wanted falls very short of expectations. It definately has it's moments and it is sad that the execution wasn't there as the few pieces that held it together would have made another more polished plot into a great action movie. The writers couldn't decide if the characters were supposed to be super-human or just well trained assassins as they flip flopped between very Wanted falls very short of expectations. It definately has it's moments and it is sad that the execution wasn't there as the few pieces that held it together would have made another more polished plot into a great action movie. The writers couldn't decide if the characters were supposed to be super-human or just well trained assassins as they flip flopped between very supernatural behaviour to hand to hand combat. In the end it seemed like the story was rushed along to get a few of the special effects they were excited about out the door before the competition. Expand
  20. BenM.
    Jul 1, 2008
    The first 45 minutes you feel the heavy hand of the editor removing all character development. The action is derivative and the "suprise" plot twist can be guessed at a mile away. Save your monet or see Wall-e again.
  21. BuhttCrack
    Jul 1, 2008
    It was good for an action movie. I don't usually see those things.. anyway, wtf was with the beginning? Those 'two parts' were totally unecessary. I mean, they could've just explained that his girlfriend was cheatin on him.. anywho wahte.
  22. JudyT
    Jul 1, 2008
    Stylyized violence meets nerdy white boy dreams. All you need is some assassination training, a big gun, special bullets that shoot around things and you can control the world. Too bad Wesley does have a better answer to the question they keep asking him in the movie.
  23. PrestonM.
    Jul 1, 2008
    The train wreck is very ironic in this movie. Why? Because I felt like right when the train-wreck happened, that's the movie turned into. It had some real original ideas, and some kick ass action scenes, but once they did that bullet hitting bullet mid-air trick for like the 5h time, it was just ridiculous.
  24. SamS
    Jul 15, 2008
    A rollercoaster ride? I literally fell asleep in the middle of this movie (it was a 12am showing). Plot and script were cast aside and replaced with weak excuses to show rediculous action scenes, sexy actresses, and displays of violence that were disturbingly glorified and artistic. I found some enjoyment out of this movie as many of the action sequences were not taken that seriously and A rollercoaster ride? I literally fell asleep in the middle of this movie (it was a 12am showing). Plot and script were cast aside and replaced with weak excuses to show rediculous action scenes, sexy actresses, and displays of violence that were disturbingly glorified and artistic. I found some enjoyment out of this movie as many of the action sequences were not taken that seriously and were actually pretty funny to watch. This amusement quickly wore off on me and since the story was not even remotely interesting, I decided to make better use of the dark room and padded chair that I had spent $9 for. Expand
  25. ShaunR
    Jul 28, 2008
    Some of the action sequences were cool. There is a massive gap in logic though where supposedly binary code like computers use to turn 1s and 0s into letters was invented a 1000 years ago by textile mill workers. Not sure if that is a fault of the comic books it was based on or just lazy screenwriting.
  26. CourtneyD.
    Jul 5, 2008
    The movie had decent acting, but not plot or point. It was like Fight Club meets James Bond, but with none of the finer points of either. The movie would have been better if they presented it in a more comic book stylized manner. After this movie, I am seriously doubting the ability of critics to judge a stinker from a winner.
  27. JackS.
    Dec 4, 2008
    Well this movie, I was a little disappointed. I thought it would be so much better. The story of the bad guy being the main charecters father being covered up as the guy who killed his father was a rip off of Star Wars. And the action was a rip off of Matrix. The pointless action was really cool, but it was pointless. They do explain it well, but it was a little to stupid...especially the Well this movie, I was a little disappointed. I thought it would be so much better. The story of the bad guy being the main charecters father being covered up as the guy who killed his father was a rip off of Star Wars. And the action was a rip off of Matrix. The pointless action was really cool, but it was pointless. They do explain it well, but it was a little to stupid...especially the dialogue in this movie. Easy to follow and it was sexy, but it wasn't good through my mind. Expand
  28. jwh
    Jun 27, 2008
    This movie is B-level crap. The reviewers need their heads examined. Weak story, weak delivery... a mix of Karate Kid meets the Matrix .... and just about as lame as that sounds! Don't waste your hard earned dollars - wait for video if you must see at all.
  29. ChadS.
    Jun 29, 2008
    Not to be confused with the celebrated folk singing quartet from the forties and fifties, these Weavers are the caretakers of a loom that determines who sleeps with the fishes. That's some loom. If one of these textile hitmen were interrogated by the police, Sloan(Morgan Freeman), for instance, who is the attending interpreter of dry goods; what does he tell the cross-examiner? The Not to be confused with the celebrated folk singing quartet from the forties and fifties, these Weavers are the caretakers of a loom that determines who sleeps with the fishes. That's some loom. If one of these textile hitmen were interrogated by the police, Sloan(Morgan Freeman), for instance, who is the attending interpreter of dry goods; what does he tell the cross-examiner? The loom told me to do it? As it stands, the very idea of getting your directive to kill from an apparatus that harnesses thread is absurd. "Wanted" might've benefited had the film bothered to mythologize the enigmatic machine. Instead of the brief expository wordage that opens this harebrained actioner, how about a scene in which the loom is situated in its earliest context? "Wanted" seems to have an aversion to overplaying its mystical side. The inventor of the loom doesn't have to wear a sorcerer's hat, but let's see what the original Weavers looked like. Maybe an A-list star like Angelina Jolie("Look at my ass! Look at it! Love it! Worship it! Kneel before its awesomeness!!!") didn't want to be upstaged by an origin story. "Wanted" is about choosing between fate and the free will to influence your own destiny. To properly address this dilemma, "Wanted" needed a concluding scene in which Wesley Gibson(James McAvoy) makes a decision about the loom's future, and the future of the Weavers. Expand
  30. JeffD
    Jul 16, 2008
    Some laughs, lots of almost-non-stop action, a couple times rolling my eyes. It's low-level entertainment.
  31. PunguinYoga
    Jan 24, 2009
    A 5 with reservations. Actually, I might feel bad if someone rented this because of my rating. Nothing new here - action films have to get more and more ridiculous it seems. I have never thought Angelina Jolie was as beautiful as many others seem to. She doesn't look so great here and she may have one of those faces that doesn't age well. If you don't see this, you A 5 with reservations. Actually, I might feel bad if someone rented this because of my rating. Nothing new here - action films have to get more and more ridiculous it seems. I have never thought Angelina Jolie was as beautiful as many others seem to. She doesn't look so great here and she may have one of those faces that doesn't age well. If you don't see this, you won't be missing anything. It's good to see Morgan Freeman as a villain, though. I kept thinking this is the type of movie that's made by someone who thinks swearing is a shocking act of rebellion. Expand
  32. SunshineW
    Dec 11, 2008
    Even with everyone saying, "oh, its a nonsensical action-thriller," this film requires a lot more suspension of disbelief. The plot is extremely ridiculous without being ironic (enough). Having read the graphic novel, I understand why plot revisions had to be made, but the rewrites were just not satisfactory. Either way, the action sequences are enjoyable and well edited, especially the sound.
  33. Oct 9, 2011
    I don't really understand how "Wanted" got a positive reception. Sure, the action sequences are mind-blowing, but ultimately its your average 'brain-less' blockbuster you would watch with your homies.
  34. RCM
    Jul 1, 2008
    Better than it had any right to be, it's just a film you need to appreciate for what it is. The fun here is watching an every-man become an action "hero" and ditch his plane life for one that matters. In the process, he stands up to his bitch of a boss, punches out his jack-ass best friend, and make out with Angelina Jolie in front of his cheating girlfriend. Meanwhile, action Better than it had any right to be, it's just a film you need to appreciate for what it is. The fun here is watching an every-man become an action "hero" and ditch his plane life for one that matters. In the process, he stands up to his bitch of a boss, punches out his jack-ass best friend, and make out with Angelina Jolie in front of his cheating girlfriend. Meanwhile, action sequences as crazy and boundary-pushing as "Speed Racer" are pushed in front of your gaping mouth, and driven through in a violent, adult, almost fantasy like world. James McAvoy is fun and funny as the leading man, Angelina in hot, and Morgen Freedman gets to have some mad dark fun with his typecast character (the one where he is some kind of God like mentor). Enjoy it for what it is, and don't over think it (not terribly smart) and you will, like me, enjoy this crazy movie. Expand
  35. JayH.
    Sep 3, 2008
    Great pace, the cast is terrific - especially Angelina Jolie. It's a bit too over the top for my taste, but it moves fast and has a great score and good special effects. Very well edited. Top production.
  36. SeanM.
    Dec 6, 2008
    Overall, a solid B movie. Some parts were good, other parts were laughably bad. Those that gave it a 0 are most likely overly picky and expect perfect A+ movies every time they go to the theater, or their precious time has been wasted. Me? It was a good couch flick, Cool action, some amusing dialogue, and hey, bullets.
  37. AlexL
    Jun 29, 2008
    So ludicrously and graphically violent that it becomes humorous. The plot has unexpected twists, unexpected because the plot makes little sense, as much of it is left unexplained. It gets 5/10 for comedy, and for the occasional scenes that reminded me of significantly better movies like star wars and the matrix.
  38. Aug 27, 2013
    It's a pure adrenaline rush for the hardcore escapist, but for everyone else it'll be less satisfying due to an absent-minded script that's reliant on its bombastic violence to get by.
  39. JasonG.
    Jan 28, 2010
    If i had rated this before reading the comic it would have rated a nine but sorry this this movie has as much to do with the comic about as about 2 plotlines most of the characters in the movie are not pulled out of the comic but are just made up if you are looking for a faithfull adaptation your better off with sin city watchmen or dark knight all the dark parts of the comic are toned If i had rated this before reading the comic it would have rated a nine but sorry this this movie has as much to do with the comic about as about 2 plotlines most of the characters in the movie are not pulled out of the comic but are just made up if you are looking for a faithfull adaptation your better off with sin city watchmen or dark knight all the dark parts of the comic are toned down way too much i can only hope kick ass will be more faithful. Expand
  40. MattA
    Jun 27, 2008
    Not a bad movie by any means. It's equivalent to Chinese take out, tasty at the moment, but leaves you feeling a bit empty once the initial glee is worn out. There were indeed great moments of aww, and dazzle, yet none of the characters were all that interesting beyond the fact that they were so cool they make the Fonz look like Napolean Dynamite. Train scene, awesome. Loom s**t, Not a bad movie by any means. It's equivalent to Chinese take out, tasty at the moment, but leaves you feeling a bit empty once the initial glee is worn out. There were indeed great moments of aww, and dazzle, yet none of the characters were all that interesting beyond the fact that they were so cool they make the Fonz look like Napolean Dynamite. Train scene, awesome. Loom s**t, kinda retarded, but whatever, they can bend bullets too. Just turn off your brain, and look at the pretty colors, and you'll be just fine. Expand
  41. TaniaM.
    Aug 22, 2008
    Good action but the story is boring and bad directed.
  42. Aug 7, 2011
    Really interesting this film! On the contrary of the critics that I read a lot the movie is pure creative and different because shows the exaggerated and the impossible on a completely acceptable context! If people merely want to see possible and commons things just read the newspaper and not a movie. A movie needs to be creative and it can also be surreal, since the events fit and have aReally interesting this film! On the contrary of the critics that I read a lot the movie is pure creative and different because shows the exaggerated and the impossible on a completely acceptable context! If people merely want to see possible and commons things just read the newspaper and not a movie. A movie needs to be creative and it can also be surreal, since the events fit and have a connected end. Bullets that make curves, bullets with goodbye, cars jumping over others! Two of the functions of the cinema from action are entertaining and make magic, do not forget that. Expand
  43. Apr 14, 2014
    Bombastic violence and action that is entertaining and even innovative at times while the movie lasts. Good special effects too. But then you forget about it the moment it ends. Just like how it happens with most movies out there. No special script, no special score, no special acting, nothing to remember. I know movies like this need to exist but one can´t give them more than a 5 out ofBombastic violence and action that is entertaining and even innovative at times while the movie lasts. Good special effects too. But then you forget about it the moment it ends. Just like how it happens with most movies out there. No special script, no special score, no special acting, nothing to remember. I know movies like this need to exist but one can´t give them more than a 5 out of 10 or so. It would not be fair to the real great films. One of the most appealing things about it is how hot Angelina and James McAvoy are. That says it all. Expand
  44. Oct 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Putting it bluntly, 'WANTED' was a rather formulaic and predictable outing. A loserly, office shut-in with the help of a hot babe learns about his past and is suddenly thrust into the world of assassination, a world of flipping cars, extreme gun fights, and mind-altering stunts, thus shedding every bit of his shy, weak self. This we've all seen before.

Where 'WANTED' stands apart from any other action film I've seen is in its style. The director has upped the ante on how the action is portrayed. Gone are any sort of boundaries. This is a world where people can flawlessly flip cars over others and land perfectly upright on the other side, where people can shoot from miles away hitting nothing but their target, where people can put such a curve on bullets that they hit multiple targets standing on different planes all with one shot. If people can really do this, perhaps I'm living the same existence as Wesley, and I'm missing out. The film's major selling point is its style and its worth a viewing simply for that.
  45. alexr
    May 31, 2009
    Fun whilst McAvoy is still in training, but when he becomes a full member of the 'team' and can use all his powers, the film nosedives into tedium. Not terrible, but I can't recommend it.
  46. TimH
    Jul 14, 2009
    At least this movie made me laugh a few times, lending it a leg up on titles like Aeon Flux and Ultraviolet which are comparably ridiculous. But it was about halfway through that my giggles gave way to facepalms, proving definitively that bullet time is no substitute for actual content.
  47. RyanM.
    Dec 30, 2008
    Yes, nice visual effects and Jolie is always soft on the eyes. But beyond that, not much else substance. Plot could've been interesting enough. But the story isn't developed well and it seems style takes over way more than substance. Barely entertaining.

1. This over-the-top, ultraviolent, hyperkinetic action thriller pretty much has it all.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Like it or not, Wanted pretty much slams you to the back of your chair from the outset and scarcely lets up for the duration.
  3. It takes about an hour after it's over for the heart to slow, the brain to recalibrate, and the nonsensicalness of the thing to sink in.