First Look International | Release Date: May 23, 2008
8.1
Universal acclaim based on 48 Ratings
WATCH NOW
johnslegersJan 3, 2016
I love a good political or social satire. "Thank You For Smoking", "How to Get Rid of the Others", "Land of the Blind" and "Idiocracy" are among my favorite films. "War Inc" attempts to be a film just like those, but if fails in every way.I love a good political or social satire. "Thank You For Smoking", "How to Get Rid of the Others", "Land of the Blind" and "Idiocracy" are among my favorite films. "War Inc" attempts to be a film just like those, but if fails in every way.

"War Inc" takes place in a fictional country. Where "Land of the Blind" shows us a country that reminds us of at least half a dozen of countries and eras (from 18th century France, Mussolini's Italy and Lenin's Russia to '50s South-America and '70s Northern-Ireland), "War Inc" gives us nothing but a poor American caricature of the Middle-East. At no time did Turaqistan remotely seem like an actual country, not even a Middle-Eastern country like it's supposed to be. As a satire, however, this recognisability is essential for it to work.

The humor in "Thank You For Smoking", "How to Get Rid of the Others" and "Land of the Blind" is all clever and subtle. "Idiocracy" gives us a shallow layer of "Beavis & Butthead"-like retarded humor and a deeper layer of intelligent humour actually making fun of those who enjoy the first layer (which many seem to miss). "War Inc" gives us none of that. For most of the film, the humor usually seems either absent or too over-the-top ("Scary Movie" style), totally losing its effect for me.

The story is not very interesting either. The story of occupation and corporate greed is overshadowed by the dull interaction between a frustrated deep cover assassin, a self-conscious anti-war journalist and a confused teenage pop star, making most of the film completely uninteresting.

Who would I recommend this film to? I honestly don't know. Personally I don't think it's worth wasting your time on.
asdasd33aFeb 19, 2013
This movie has great satirical setting that makes fun of corporate money grabbing. This movie reminds me of combination of Grosse Pointe Blank and Lord of War.
For me this was not political film although it sure does make fun of politics
For me this was not political film although it sure does make fun of politics well enough its more about great characters in a story that does not want to be taken seriously in the first place.
The acting is superb by all in the film by both Cusaks and the rest cast plus its just silly funny movie.
jimmytancrediMay 29, 2011
If already wasn't enough to put up with the egocentric presence of John Cusack, the movie even brings a weird narrative that satirizes the war in Iraq by other ficticious. But Hilary's performance was good.
chrishAug 11, 2009
Just missed being truly great, I think. Some clever concepts. Joan was annoying, Hilary was good (and hot). Didn't like the portrayal of American troops. Made me think, anyway, and that's a damn sight more than most movies ever do.
RyanDAug 5, 2009
In my opinion, possibly the greatest indy movie every made. I really, absolutely, HATED Hillary Duff's character, which is essentially an over rated slutly pop star with no education. (how ironic that shes being played by an over rated In my opinion, possibly the greatest indy movie every made. I really, absolutely, HATED Hillary Duff's character, which is essentially an over rated slutly pop star with no education. (how ironic that shes being played by an over rated sluty popstar) but props goes to Cusak for probably his best performance ever. The whole movie is just so well done, i cant believe the critics weren't swooning over this, well, their loss is our gain Expand
1 of 2 users found this helpful
BansiBJan 27, 2009
A brilliant "fiction" about situations all too prevalent in our real world. If you care about the world we live in, this is a must see. May not be the best produced movie, but it's the message that brings it all home.
4 of 4 users found this helpful
DeniseANov 2, 2008
This movie reminded me of the first time I saw M.A.S.H. We loved the satire!! It's a nice break from our everyday ranting about Bush and Cheney, and get to guffaw over the absurdities of the war we are in, and the idiots that are This movie reminded me of the first time I saw M.A.S.H. We loved the satire!! It's a nice break from our everyday ranting about Bush and Cheney, and get to guffaw over the absurdities of the war we are in, and the idiots that are running it. If you are not as sophisticated as a movie critic, you will love it. Expand
BrianHOct 28, 2008
This thing is HILARIOUS! The satire appears over the top, but if you read the Naomi Klein article it is based on - Baghdad Year Zero: Pillaging Iraq in Pursuit of a Neocon Utopia - then you realize it's just a funnier version of This thing is HILARIOUS! The satire appears over the top, but if you read the Naomi Klein article it is based on - Baghdad Year Zero: Pillaging Iraq in Pursuit of a Neocon Utopia - then you realize it's just a funnier version of business-as-usual... Slapstick and straight to the point, it is great. Someone should give Bush a ticket to a Yonica Babyyeah concert, on location, for January 1, 2009! Expand
PaulMOct 27, 2008
This is the type of movie that you don't see plastered on billboards and tv advertisements. It is unambiguously anti-Iraq and it mirrors the circus that is the "war". If this movie seems zany to you just think of the target of its satire.
WilliamCOct 26, 2008
I wanted this to be good.The subject matter is important and the threat is real. I respect both of the Cusacks and their abilities. This film wasn't done on the cheap - It looks good and the cast is up to the task. It's just poorly I wanted this to be good.The subject matter is important and the threat is real. I respect both of the Cusacks and their abilities. This film wasn't done on the cheap - It looks good and the cast is up to the task. It's just poorly done and thats a real shame. Expand
1 of 2 users found this helpful
CheBOct 14, 2008
Critics...well, you're mostly wrong. this film is great.
JayHOct 7, 2008
This political satire misses the mark most of the time, I am sure director Joshua Seftel was aiming for something like M*A*S*H* or Dr. Strangelove, but he doesn't even come close. On the plus side, good cast, especially Joan Cusack.
AaronHSep 14, 2008
Wicked movie loved Cusak and i really didnt expect Hillary Duff to act such a great part like totally rocked the movie. And the "standard" media i guess cant accept something this close to the heart of the issues.
EarlV.Jun 23, 2008
Based on the critic's reviews, I went into this expecting a train wreck, but I just didn't see it. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie -- intelligently written, with a sense of fun despite how closely it reflects our present situation. Based on the critic's reviews, I went into this expecting a train wreck, but I just didn't see it. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie -- intelligently written, with a sense of fun despite how closely it reflects our present situation. Not the kind of thing the corporate media wants to encourage, apparently. Expand
JordanS.Jun 14, 2008
Spaceballs meets Lord of War. If you like stupid, Mel Brooks-style humor, and you want to see Hillary Duff seductively put a scorpion down her pants (and honestly, who doesn't?) then go see this film. It's not perfect, but its Spaceballs meets Lord of War. If you like stupid, Mel Brooks-style humor, and you want to see Hillary Duff seductively put a scorpion down her pants (and honestly, who doesn't?) then go see this film. It's not perfect, but its definitely entertaining. Expand
ShenanigansPadunkadunkJun 9, 2008
I LOVED this big fat satire n EVERYTHING stupid that's American! The critics are cry babies that take WAYYY too much shite wayyyy too serious, and THAT'S the point.
MartinS.Jun 1, 2008
Hilarious. But I can imagine why it comes off badly in the US press. "Boom Boom Boom - there´s a war going on".
JanetB.May 26, 2008
kick butt movie, should be everywhere... not fair that indies don't make it and hollywood does.
AnaMay 24, 2008
A very good movie. Truly funny and the cast is great, especially Hilary Duff as Yonica Babyyeah, who finally proves she's an actress. The ending is suprising and the whole movie is very original and unique. I have to recommend it.
AndrewS.May 23, 2008
Awesome...
JSMay 21, 2008
Take Cussack's character from Grosse Point Blank, mix in an absurdely reduced, satirical (but not funny) view of the Iraq war and sprinkle with a weak, predictable plot and you have War Inc.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
filhaddudeMay 21, 2008
Awesome movie!! Absolutely hilarious... It indulges you in guilty pleasures. For example, you would be laughing at something initially but then the movie unfolds and you'd go, "Oops, I shldn't have laughed at that just now!" Awesome movie!! Absolutely hilarious... It indulges you in guilty pleasures. For example, you would be laughing at something initially but then the movie unfolds and you'd go, "Oops, I shldn't have laughed at that just now!" Another would be Hilary Duff! Its safe to say she's shed her Disney Tween-Queen image successfully and shown that she really has credible acting chops. She no doubt stole the limelight from veterans such as Ben Kingsley and John Cusack. Now that's impressive! Expand