6.9

1. Nov 10, 2014
    While its villains are weak and dialogue cheesy at times, Warm Bodies compensates by its sweet romance, energetic soundtrack, steady pacing and heart.
  2. Oct 23, 2014
    I absolutely love this movie I just enjoy that not like your normal zombie movie way better than Twilight. I would rate the movie a 9. Why because it was a twist that turn in o to a romantic movie .one part that made me a little confused was when the black crazy looking things that was control the zombies. I really didn't understand what were they come from .where theyI absolutely love this movie I just enjoy that not like your normal zombie movie way better than Twilight. I would rate the movie a 9. Why because it was a twist that turn in o to a romantic movie .one part that made me a little confused was when the black crazy looking things that was control the zombies. I really didn't understand what were they come from .where they people at one point of did they just come from hell.other then that i love the movie it was funny how the zombie looking people was smarter then ever. Expand
  3. Aug 19, 2014
    Sappy but cute. I consider this a guilty pleasure. Definitely worth the redbox $1.24. Teresa Palmer and Nicholas Hoult have enough chemistry to pull off a really silly premise.
  4. Aug 8, 2014
    I am stunned, this movie is for kids! not bad? but my husband who is 49 bought this show, kinda weird when he makes fun of Real of Housewives..lol But since his girlfriend who is 26 now loves it, I guess it is Great....
  5. Jul 20, 2014
    It is a very unique movie. It is the first time I heard zombie being the good guy. I really enjoy this movie. It deliver much more than what I expected. I also loved the romance and the comedy presented in this movie. The plot really interest me and there is some plot twist, not much though. Acting is good. Probably lack of action if you expect it to be an extremely action-packed movie butIt is a very unique movie. It is the first time I heard zombie being the good guy. I really enjoy this movie. It deliver much more than what I expected. I also loved the romance and the comedy presented in this movie. The plot really interest me and there is some plot twist, not much though. Acting is good. Probably lack of action if you expect it to be an extremely action-packed movie but I think it is enough. It is very outstanding. It stood out among all those crappy zombie movie released this year. Expand
  6. Jun 26, 2014
  7. Apr 3, 2014
    a zombie movie should not have love . But the kicking zombies ass while love it is okay i guess but it is not something i expected . Grade B+
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  8. Jan 7, 2014
    The film has some cool ideas. The setting is interesting, the kind of zombie story being told is interesting, and I enjoy the main character. What prevents this movie from being anything spectacular is the romance. The love in this movie is not well written, cheesy, and takes what could have been an interesting movie and turns it into a teen fantasy. If you are a girl who loves teenThe film has some cool ideas. The setting is interesting, the kind of zombie story being told is interesting, and I enjoy the main character. What prevents this movie from being anything spectacular is the romance. The love in this movie is not well written, cheesy, and takes what could have been an interesting movie and turns it into a teen fantasy. If you are a girl who loves teen romance stories you will enjoy this movie. If you think this going to be an amazing film think again. It’s an eh film with some good ideas that is ruined by an excessive and poorly written love story. A shame too considering this movie looked promising. Who knows maybe the book is better. Expand
  9. Jan 5, 2014
    First, I would like to say if you enjoy good films and/or zombies, please consider checking out Warm Bodies. The scores are kind of mixed about this movie even though it has a generally good score, I believe it should be higher, and let me say the only reason why the scores are lower is because either A) They are too dumb to understand this movie (p.s. it doesn't require a genius IQ toFirst, I would like to say if you enjoy good films and/or zombies, please consider checking out Warm Bodies. The scores are kind of mixed about this movie even though it has a generally good score, I believe it should be higher, and let me say the only reason why the scores are lower is because either A) They are too dumb to understand this movie (p.s. it doesn't require a genius IQ to understand it.), B) They think zombies are a real entity and this movie didn't represent "true zombie lore", or C) They passed up the movie 5 minutes in or didn't even watch it because they thought it was akin to the likes of Twilight (it's not!). I loved this film and it was near perfect with its insights on modern society, the perception of a zombie apocalypse from the eyes of zombies, and the infusion of Romeo and Juliet archetype was done excellently. Ultimately, the conflict between zombies, bonies, and humans revolving around R and Julie make for a refreshing and enjoyable movie. Expand
  10. Jan 3, 2014
    Fun, cleverly written and very funny. Warm Bodies is the best zom-rom-com since Shaun of the Dead. Nicholas Hoult and John Malkovich are the standout performances providing great entertainment in the midst of all the satisfactory scenes and average plot twists.
  11. Dec 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Zombie Type: Both slow-walking and fast-running undead

Outbreak/Apocalypse Phase: Post-outbreak apocalypse (outbreak has already occurred, characters are living through the zombie apocalypse)

Sub-Genre: Romantic Comedy (rom-zom-com)

This is the kind of movie that really freshens up an entire genre. I wish I could talk more about the story, but I try to either leave these posts fairly spoiler-free or at least warn readers when I’m about to spill some of the beans (brains?).

Warm Bodies is based on the Isaac Marion novel of the same name and centers around the relationship between R (a male zombie) and Julie (a female living human). Seeing as how I’ve already classified this as a romantic comedy, I think you can tell roughly where the story goes. I enjoyed the relationship between the odd pairing, and the awkwardness that ensues when a girl catches a zombie’s fancy unsurprisingly leads to some funny moments.

What truly makes the story unique by zombie standards is MILD SPOILERS it is basically a retelling of Romeo and Juliet. R is Romeo, J is Juliet, M is Mercutio, Perry is Paris, Julie’s dad hates all of zombie-kind, etc. There are several scenes that reference Shakespeare’s classic, but I’ll leave that for you guys to discover yourselves. END SPOILERS

This movie was a huge pleasant surprise. I expected it to be cheesy but decent enough to watch. Instead, I found myself regarding this as probably one of my top ten favorite zombie films of all time. The uniqueness of the story is only half of what makes it good; the other half is simply the fact that this is a solid, enjoyable movie.

Isaac Marion announced in 2012 that he is writing a sequel to the novel Warm Bodies. Whether it is also adapted to the cinema screen remains to be seen, but I eagerly await the chance to watch the further evolution of his story.

Final Verdict: highly recommended not only for zombie fans, but also for anyone else looking for a good movie that’s different than the usual undead fare. Very unique zombie film!
  12. Dec 2, 2013
    Although not quite gore for some, Warm Bodies is an optimistic, heartwarming, funny love story about a zombie and a human that makes Twilight fans feel bad about themselves for loving its terrible saga.
  13. Nov 19, 2013
    It vampires all over again-- Basically it Twilight but with zombies. The plot is nothing special and is a rip of of Undying Love by Hattori Mitsuru. The character were not memorable and their personalities were god awful; I would give the characters a 4 out of ten. It would have been really cool if they start explaining why the zombies hearts are beating again but the movie failed in thatIt vampires all over again-- Basically it Twilight but with zombies. The plot is nothing special and is a rip of of Undying Love by Hattori Mitsuru. The character were not memorable and their personalities were god awful; I would give the characters a 4 out of ten. It would have been really cool if they start explaining why the zombies hearts are beating again but the movie failed in that aspect as well. Also why did only R come back to life while the others didn`t; it was a massive plot hole. The actor were excellent but were the only thing going for the movie. 8 out of ten for that. I must say the movie was better than I expected since I read the book and it was better than that piece of crap. Now why did the girl R fall in love with kiss a walking corspe? Put it simple, would you kiss someone who has eaten your boyfriends brain? Expand
  14. Nov 11, 2013
    Watched with my 19=year old daughter. We agreed that this was one of the best mixed of Zombie, loved, and comedy movies i"ve ever watched. I didn't expect but the story-line and actor's performance gradually become intrigued.
  15. Nov 8, 2013
    This is a decent horror-comedy that is enjoyable to watch. At first glance this movie might come across as Twilight with zombies, and for the most part it kind of is. But the humor and the unique perspective of the movie is what sets it apart, and keeps it from being the teen angst movie that Twilight was.

Praise aside, this movie does suffer from numerous plot holes. Big ones too. Most of the time when I noticed them, I just went "Whatever" and just continued watching, blindly accepting the inconsistencies. Doing that, I managed to really enjoy the movie.

Overall:
    Warm Bodies is a nice movie to watch that you will thoroughly enjoy, provided you can look past the many inconsistencies and writing mistakes.
  16. Oct 6, 2013
    Warm Bodies is an excellent post apocalyptic retelling of the classic Romeo & Juliet story, with a few twists of course.
    The film follows R, a young male zombie who lives in an airport with many others of his zombie brethren. R gives us an insight of how it is to be a zombie, how they communicate, why they eat brains and what a 'boney' is and why you'll become one after being a zombie for so long.
    When R and some other zombies are out looking for humans to eat they stumble across a girl named Julia and a group of her friends. R, after just eating Julia's ex-boyfriends brain gains access to his memories and falls in love with Julia. He takes her back to the airport under disguise so she isn't attacked and the two begin to form a very dysfunctional relationship.
    However as the two grow closer and the other zombies begin to see the affection the two share the zombies begin to revert back to human state causing a three way war between surviving humans, zombies and 'boneys'.
    Warm Bodies is unique, touching, funny and a generally great zombie film as well as a romance film. If you like zombies, romance or comedy then Warm Bodies is for you.
  17. Sep 30, 2013
    Warm Bodies is one of the most funny and interesting movies of this year, the cast is great, and the performances of all (Nicholas Hoult, Teresa Palmer, John Malkovich, Analeigh Tipton, Dave Franco and the rest) are really cool. Maybe is not the best movie of the genre, but Warm Bodies is extremely funny.
  18. Sep 21, 2013
    Warm Bodies is a neat little horror movie now playing over the Internet. "Cute", "sweet" and "funny" are not words I normally associate with zombie movies. "Gross", "disgusting" and "gore" are the ones I use. But this movie, directed by novice filmmaker Jonathan Levine, surprised me. I don't know if it's a new trend in zombie entertainment, but a nice zombie-human love story is a positiveWarm Bodies is a neat little horror movie now playing over the Internet. "Cute", "sweet" and "funny" are not words I normally associate with zombie movies. "Gross", "disgusting" and "gore" are the ones I use. But this movie, directed by novice filmmaker Jonathan Levine, surprised me. I don't know if it's a new trend in zombie entertainment, but a nice zombie-human love story is a positive one.

"R" is a living dead flesh-eating zombie who spends his days stumbling around an abandoned airport with the rest of the reanimated corpses. But he realizes his situation is hopeless. Most of the introduction to Warm Bodies consists of his internal monologues. For instance:

"What am I doing with my life? I'm so pale. I should get out more. I should eat better. My posture is terrible. I should stand up straighter. People would respect me more if I stood up straighter. What's wrong with me? I just want to connect. Why can't I connect with people? Oh, right, it's because I'm dead."

Prior to the opening of the film, a zombie apocalypse had taken place. Most of the human survivors have gathered in a walled-off fortress where General Grigio (Malkovitch) manages to keep the remaining humans alive. The zombies exist in two forms: 1) the "corpses", who stumble around all day, looking for human food and 2) The "bonies", skeletor things who will "eat anything with a pulse". The major difference between the corpses and the bonies are how they view their existence: corpses will eat the living, but feel conflicted about it.

A team of young adults are sent out beyond the wall to scourge for much-needed medical supplies. While the corpses attack, "R" finds himself smitten with one of the women (Teresa Palmer). Although he's munched on her boyfriend's brains, he pulls her out of the mob and takes her to safety in his private crash pad. At first she's terrified of him, but "R" manages to win her trust. He shows her how to act like a zombie to avoid being eaten. Eventually she makes it back to the human side of the wall.

But she's started something within "R". As he begins to develop human feelings, he becomes less of a zombie. Soon, the other corpses are learning to be human again. The bonies don't like this one bit and toss them out of the abandoned airport. Knowing the bonies are massing toward the human city, the corpses link-up with "R" and head toward the last refuge of humanity. Will the corpses be able to stop the Bad Living Dead? Will the humans not shoot the corpses and accept their help? Will "R" be able to express his love for the human woman?

It may all sound silly, but the movie works. There are some hilarious moments. Such as a scene where "R" tries to imagine how the airport looked before the zombie apocalypse. Instantly, we see how it was in the old days, with bored travelers shuffling around the terminal staring at their smart phones with glassy eyes.

So check it out if you get a chance. It's not even that violent.

www.cinemaofhorror.com
  19. Sep 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Warm Bodies is a surprisingly entertaining movie from beginning to end. I think these writers need to get with the program. Making serious, dark zombie movies just doesn't work. The best zombie movies have been light-hearted movies that don't take themselves too seriously like this one and Zombieland. This film had plenty of humor, some solid acting, and a unique twist on the cliched zombie apocalypse concept. Here we have a zombie, played very well by Nicholas Hoult, who for some reason is drawn to human things and not just because he wants to eat their brains. This takes a turn when he sees Teresa Palmer's character and somehow falls in love. Looking at her it's easy to see why. She looks like a combination of Hayden Panettiere and Kristen Stewart but more attractive than either one. I truly hope she gets more roles because the camera loves her almost as much as R did. Back to the movie, throughout the rest of the film she essentially reteaches R how to be human and he begins to adapt over time. When this phenomenon begins to spread, the human population has an interesting situation on their hands. Overall, was this movie realistic at all? Of course not, but it's a zombie movie. Analyzing the film for plot holes or anything like that would be just silly. If you want a fun movie-watching experience, however, it's worth checking out. Expand
  20. Aug 25, 2013
    A fun, different take on the zombie genre, well-acted performances, a few laughs here and there, great soundtrack, and the result is a pretty cool movie.
  21. Aug 23, 2013
    A nice touch to all the zombie craziness circulating the movies these days. Funny, original, and sincere. This movie proves just how useful a soundtrack can add to a movie.
  22. Aug 18, 2013
    Not as bad as I thought it would be. The movie sported a charming cast that really made the silliness quite acceptable. Even if you don't particularly enjoy zombie movies, like moi, you will still mildly enjoy this one. There isn't much of a comprehensible storyline, but that's probably not what movie-goers are looking for in this film.
  23. Aug 11, 2013
    Warm Bodies might have a bunch of lifeless zombies walking around but the movie is anything but. Its absorbing, funny, original, and full of heart, which is refreshing in this day age of stupid teenage boy girl love stories.
  24. Aug 3, 2013
    We all know what a zombie is right? Those moaning dead things that wander around eating humans? Yeah, well Warm Bodies says a human girl and a zombie can fall in love. That's a con job.
  25. Jul 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, I didn't read the book, which is why I gave this movie a two (If I would have read the book, it probably would have dropped to a zero).

To begin with, I adore the lore of zombies; the fact that a strain of something can turn anyone into a slobbering, stumbling husk of a human has always fascinated me. This film, however, fails to add anything new or exciting to the zombie lore/genre. The gaining of the emotions, memories, and thoughts of the victim's brain felt contrived and convoluted; just the fact that these zombies get such a euphoric rush from eating brains would have been enough. Now, this might just be a pet peeve of mine when it comes to these types of movies but, how exactly did this all happen? It's shown that if a zombie doesn't eat the brains of a human, said human turns into a zombie. So, this would suggest that the 'virus' spread from parental transmission, or biting, which is odd due to how slow it would spread through a population. Would you stand next to someone who's very aggressive and nonsensical?

Furthermore, the characters felt very flat and it felt that the 'zombies' were just thrown in there for a cheap gimmick. It's basically, as most people and critics have said, Romeo and Juliet with zombies. This wouldn't be so bad if we'd get more exposition about the main character and supporting characters. We spend a total of about five minutes with Perry (the soon to be zombie dinner) and his girlfriend/lover, Julie. Both felt very two-dimensional and it was obvious that the actors had little chemistry on screen, though how can you blame them with such bad source material?

Moving on, the zombies themselves. These 'zombies' are apparently not the only un-dead thing looking for flesh and brains. They're in competition with the 'bonies' which look more like Ghouls from Fallout. Apparently, regular zombies all eventually end up as 'bonies' due to them losing hope and faith? What kind of sense does that make? They're supposed to be ZOMBIES, not pre-teenaged girls. A disease is a bit more complex and it spreading faster usually doesn't correlate with one losing 'hope' over it. How fast it spreads varies from person to person and besides, they've already lost their humanity to this disease/virus, what is there to lose hope over?

The 'bonies' themselves are unimpressive and aren't too consistent with how they were built up to be. Later on in the movie, Julie's father says that the 'bonies' are very fast and are very dangerous which is unlike anything they've ever seen. Though, during the scene where R and Julie are running away from the 'bonies', R trips and Julie fires two shots into the bonie that was about to pounce on R which kills it instantly. She didn't even aim for the head and it dropped after two shots. So, why is her father and the rest of the 'city' freaking out over these things? They've got Humvees with fifty-cal turrets, adding to that, a wall that splits their settlement from the outside.

As for Julie's father? He was a dumbass and a piss poor representation of someone stuck in their ways. For example, when R is shown to him and tries to communicate, why didn't he blow R's brains out right there? I'm all for turning someone who's stubborn but still, he could have acted a bit more in-character with his archetype.

Next, the fact that the zombies were even able to turn back into humans 'through the power of love' is a horribly executed cliche' of old Disney films with a dark twist. You cannot just simply wish for someone to get a beating heart again just because they or you love hard enough. Also, where did all the blood even go when they became zombies in the first place? It shows that their hearts can return to beating and when they 'come back to life', they bleed when shot. It takes a lot longer than a few seconds for blood to return to a body, and if it's not circulating it dries out. So what is the heart pumping?

Also, perhaps it was explained in the book, but where exactly did this all take place? We see that it's a big city, but it also has agriculture right in the middle of the streets. I understand this was done in order to survive in such a small area of land, but how can you have agriculture IN A CITY ENVIRONMENT? You need a LOT more than a bit of grass and hay to raise the several goats and cows shown in the film. And where are they getting the patches of grass and bales of hay exactly? How far has this strain gone in 8 years time? From what's implied, it's wiped out most of civilization, but apparently not the areas vital for growing crops and selling it to small bunkers that somehow avoided infection.

I'm almost out of characters, so I'm wrapping this up. The film was bad, it was lacking the essential information needed to know what's going on. The characters were bland and inconsistent, and the lore of zombies was done just as well as the lore of vampires was done in Twilight.
  26. Jul 13, 2013
    Love comes into play in almost every feature film you will ever see. It comes in many forms and often times, entire movies are centered on it. Those are basically the film that I loath, but Warm Bodies was different for the simple fact that it has everything! From love and romance to apocalyptic Science Fiction, this film has something for everyone! In this world, a virus has spread andLove comes into play in almost every feature film you will ever see. It comes in many forms and often times, entire movies are centered on it. Those are basically the film that I loath, but Warm Bodies was different for the simple fact that it has everything! From love and romance to apocalyptic Science Fiction, this film has something for everyone! In this world, a virus has spread and left the world in ruins. Several human settlements still exist, but they are the food source and they are surrounded. The film begins with a group of teenagers traveling into the danger zone in order to find medicine for their settlement, when they are attacked. It looks like they're all done for, when a zombie named R sees one of the girls and decides to save her instead of eat her. For some reason this girl evoked emotion in R, which led to memories. Soon the other zombies in R's group start having memories and decide to convince the humans that they are changing. Are they really changing though or is it a ploy? Love is the cure is kind of a hoke concept, but it is our most powerful emotion and it seemed plausible that this feeling could evoke memories. Nicholas Hoult (forever known as that kid from About A Boy) stars as R and is terrific. It might not take a lot of talent to play a zombie, but to play one that is learning to be human again is no easy task. Hoult plays the part perfectly and is the reason this film is believable. John Malkovich is also in Warm Bodies and while he's not playing a hilarious bad guy, he still adds a different dynamic to the film, getting involved in much of the action sequences. Warm Bodies is a refreshingly unique story that will appeal to a large audience. The Walking Dead it's not, but it still has enough bite to keep the audience that's not into all the classic romantic stuff. To be honest, I thought it might be good for a few laughs, but I never thought this film would be as good as it was. It has a message and makes an impact, while being a funny, edge of your seat thriller. This was really not something I would usually go for, but my recent Walking Dead inspired zombie craze put it on my radar and it was an amazing ride. Expand
  27. Jul 9, 2013
    It doesn't take itself serious at all, knocks on some zombie flicks too. Love conquers all, loved the premise. With some action, drama but above all if you don't take it too serious, you will enjoy it, the comedic moments were awesome. Definitely not a disappointment at all.
  28. Jul 9, 2013
    Originally, I was expecting this to be a Twilight rip-off with zombies and I was thinking to myself, "who in their right minds would want to rip-off something so unbelievably horrid?!"
    But it turns out that Warm Bodies is nothing like Twilight. In fact, it was surprisingly very fun to watch. The commentary that was going in in the main character's head throughout the beginning of the film is quite humorous. That characters in the film are consistently interesting, especially Nicholas Hoult's character. If you want a supernatural/love drama done right, burn your copy of New Moon and go see Warm Bodies.
  29. Jul 5, 2013
    Honestly, this movie seemed pretty good when I saw the commercials, but obviously, I was wrong. I watched the whole thing hoping it would pick up at one point, but it never did. It was boring, and not funny at all (except for like maybe 3 little jokes, which still were not that funny). Huge disappointment.
  30. Jul 5, 2013
    a really sweet different movie and really talks about how important the basic human feelings in life are. I thought it was just another zombie movie but turned out to be so great

1. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Feb 26, 2013
    Levine – whose last picture was the intriguing, if only partly effective, cancer comedy “50/50” — is going for something more here, exploring what makes us human by contrasting it with a character who has lost all the basics and is desperate to get them back.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Feb 9, 2013
    Zombie-ism in the movies is traditionally inspected for metaphorical qualities. Here it could simply be that we males are emotionally dead … until love revives us.
  3. Reviewed by: Rosie Fletcher
    Feb 9, 2013
    A Frankenstein’s monster of comedy, romance and horror that’s less than its parts, Warm Bodies entertains but underwhelms.