7.9

1. Mar 17, 2011
    A fantastic film. The story, the setting, the characters, everything works perfectly to create this dark alternate reality. Zach Snyder has done it again, creating another beautiful world for another great film.
  2. CollinP.
    Mar 8, 2009
    I have to respectfully disagree with someone's assessment below regarding the movies "gratuitous sexual scenes and nudity". The Dr. Manhattan "penis" shots were not gratuitous by any means, they were simply shots of him walking around. Hardly sexual, merely biologically natural. Secondly, the sex scenes involving Silk Spectre were far from gratuitous, they were side shot intercourse I have to respectfully disagree with someone's assessment below regarding the movies "gratuitous sexual scenes and nudity". The Dr. Manhattan "penis" shots were not gratuitous by any means, they were simply shots of him walking around. Hardly sexual, merely biologically natural. Secondly, the sex scenes involving Silk Spectre were far from gratuitous, they were side shot intercourse scenes with limited nudity, and nothing more than stylized sexual thrusting. Finally, I'm much more disturbed by the fact that this bothered you more than the excessive gory violence that occurred throughout this movie. I mean, limbs getting cut off, heads getting impaled. I would much rather that my child saw a little nudity and some sex scenes (which are natural human qualities and biological functions), than disgusting nihilistic violence (which is not a natural human function, and only breads hate and desensitization to the movie-watching crowd). The American public has it all wrong. While we should make sure that our children are indeed protected from adult sexual material, we should be much more concerned with the graphic violence that has permeated our culture and allowed people to grow sadly tolerant of it. That being said, the movie was indeed a faithful, wonderful adaptation of the novel, with only a few points lacking (i.e., the depth of some of the characters was never realized). I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning montage as well, it was quite a spectacle to behold! Expand
  3. KerryL.
    Mar 7, 2009
    This is the best movie based on a comic book/graphic novel I have ever seen. The acting is spectacular, and every detail that had to be included is, without feeling watered down. The movie transitions between past and present well, not causing confusion about what is taking place.
  4. Jun 8, 2013
    Watchmen is a halluzinogene, sharp and sterile adaption of the comics, which were regarded of being not filmable. But Zack Snyder's creation lives through the pain and insanity the fallen heroes are exposed to.
    It is probably the best film I have ever seen.
  5. ChadS.
    Mar 7, 2009
    Pants, stat! The glowing blue man with the transluscent appendage needs a pair of pants, like the lemur from "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa" needs pants. Adrian(Matthew Goode) probably doesn't mind that the homoeroticism of "300" escaped its reels and found a new home, in which Dr. Manhattan's nudism probably throws the other Watchmen into a homosexual panic. Quite pointedly, Pants, stat! The glowing blue man with the transluscent appendage needs a pair of pants, like the lemur from "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa" needs pants. Adrian(Matthew Goode) probably doesn't mind that the homoeroticism of "300" escaped its reels and found a new home, in which Dr. Manhattan's nudism probably throws the other Watchmen into a homosexual panic. Quite pointedly, Adrian seems to know Dr. Manhattan(Billy Crudup) better than Laurie(Malin Akerman). While the girlfriend claims that the ultramarine entity is devoid of any compassion towards mankind, Adrian's alter-ego, Ozymanidas, notices the worry creases in the former Jon Osterman's face whenever he's vexed. The Alexander-wannabe watches men, closely. But Laurie should be one to talk, the daring rescue of some people trapped in a burning high-rise that she and Dan a.k.a. Night Owl(Patrick Wilson) attend to, seems more about correcting her new beau's impotence and gettin' their middle-aged ya-yas out, than being selfless and valiant in a derring-do mission in the night air of this alternative New York. It's mere foreplay: the superhero suits they run around in are nothing more than provocative get-ups to get them in the mood. There's something faintly "Seinfeld"-esque about Night Owl and Silk Spectre, and "Watchmen", in general. Like the characters in the Larry David-created sitcom, these superheroes are more interested in saving their own skins- Rorschach(James Earl Haley) warns the other Watchmen about an assassination plot- than saving the skins of others. How apropos that there's a Comedian(Jeffrey Dean Morgan) present. During the interim years of Allan Moore and David Gibbons' breakthrough graphic novel being stuck in developmental hell, Terry Zwigoff's adaptation of Daniel Clowes' "Ghost World" had already lured a portion of the literati into accepting the long-form comic book as a viable art form. "Watchmen" won't convert the holdover naysayers(who pooh-pooh the thought of the comic book as literature, although Allison Bechdel's "Fun Home" and Adrian Tomine's "Shortcomings" are changing more minds), which is a crying shame, since in most fanboy circles, this is the standard-bearer. While it falls short on vision, "Watchmen", more or less, holds your interest for over two hours-plus, and that's no small feat. But still, the bloated thing lacks true transcendence(for instance, the Saul Bellow army won't lay down their dog-eared copies of "The Adventures of Augie March" for this); it's just a comic book movie, albeit a reasonably smart one(not smarter than "Ironman"). And it bears repeating: pants, stat! Expand
  6. WayneA
    Mar 12, 2009
    Great adult oriented superhero flick. Purists to the graohic novel either say he was too faithful or not faithful enough. I loved the source material but kept that seperate in my mind while watching the movie and loved the movie. Bravo for giving us a R rated superhero flick.
  7. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The plot was good, but the way it was developed left me disappointed. The characters were not well-defined. In fact, on many occasions they were either boring or indifferent to me. A lot of the film consisted of scenes that did not add to the central plot.
    Miss Jupiter's encounter with the Comedian. She was almost raped by him, and then it's revealed she went and had sex with him. I am assuming this is put in to reflect the distorted mentality of today's society? Or was it just to make Silk Spec cry?
    I still cant understand the attraction between Silk Spectre II and Dr. Manhattan, both of which appeared several times naked the first to hold the male audience's interest (I assume) and the second only made the audience giggle and laugh, detracting from the film.
    Jackie Earle Haley's portrayal of a sociopathic anti-hero was definitely the highlight of the movie. Again, these "heroes" appeared more interested in the fight than actually helping mankind (JDM's Comedian a bright example of this). This notion is revoked in the end, when even a distant Dr Manhattan is "moved" by the devious actions of Ozymandias, all in the name of mankind. Well, that settles it then. Forget democracy, bring in the world's smartest men to lead us, otherwise we are just savages that ultimately will kill each other to extinction. But if we are indeed savages, mankind and heroes alike, what's the point in saving us in the first place? So there was a message trying to be sent, but it got lost (at least, on me) somewhere along the way...
  8. Aug 7, 2011
    Alternative take on superhero movies with plenty of darkness in the characters and good use of the heroes interacting with moments in history. In fact some of their actions would cause you to question if they are even the good guys which added more of a human element to them. A good sci-fi movie which rises above the usual run of the mill plots.
  9. Sep 21, 2011
    Zack Snyder's "Watchmen" has it all; the dark tone/environment, insanely deep characters, powerful action, and profround ideas. It's very obedient to the comic and serves its purpose as a translator of modern heroes and what they represent to the society.
  10. mitchellowen
    Mar 7, 2009
    Definitely one of the best comic book movies to date. It admittedly falls apart once it starts rushing things after the prison break scene, but the first two hours are so beautifully done, it makes up for it. Best viewed as an homage to the book. Voted 10 to balance out this ridiculous 56.
  11. Nov 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a very disappointing book-to-film portrayal. Not only do they include the only stupid element from the book (Jon's ability to see into the future which I fully expected them to keep) but they also changed some things for the worst. For one, unlike in the book where there is some foreshadowing but the twist is still somewhat of a surprise, this movie gives away the identity of the villain pretty much from the beginning. Also, they give the characters superhuman abilities for some reason that, other than one minor glitch in the end of the book, never actually existed. Rorschach can't leap 10 feet into the air at will, Adrian Veidt isn't a superhero, etc. This not only made a dark and realistic world silly but it also made the closing sequence of the film incredibly retarded. And speaking of Veidt, this was by far the worst casting of all of the characters. In the book, Adrian Veidt appeared to be a "larger than life" person, not just in terms of his celebrity and persona but also in terms of his physical appearance. The dude was a big, strong, and intimidating person but Matthew Goode looks like a dorky little twerp. Malin Akerman also wasn't a great selection but she at least pulled of the role of Laurie Jupiter decent enough. The rest of the casting was fantastic and they nailed the style of the book spot on. The soundtrack was also really good. Honestly, other than the Adrian character in general, they really stayed very true to the book. It's just that this story is so reliant, not on action and effects but rather on the development of the characters and the world itself. And while they developed the world really nicely, I think they failed to develop Dr. Manhattan enough and his back story is really one of the key turns in the book. Overall I think they gave it a solid effort but it just doesn't have the same impact. I think people who read the book will at least find this movie intriguing and somewhat enjoyable but I think people who never read the book will find the movie mediocre at best. Expand
  12. AlS
    Aug 21, 2009
    I have seen some bad movies in my life, and this is now in top of them. This movie just lacks composition and many scenes are just unnecessary, including some of the characters. If this was not an age of large high-definition TVs, where even the dumbest movie looks great on the screen, most people would realize the shortage of anything good about it.
  13. j30
    Nov 27, 2011
    It's crazy how this movie turned out average for me. The graphic novel is great, thought-provoking, and artistic. The movie adaptation, however, feels like a wax replica of the novel. With the actors/actresses looking uninspired and dull.
  14. TheGeneral
    Aug 26, 2009
    This movie is like watching high quality, very expensive paint dry. How anyone could make it through the Director's cut is beyond me. I thought the original release was slow as molasses.
  15. MistyM
    Aug 1, 2009
    This was indeed the worst movie I have ever seen. It made no sense - and has so many loose ends that after two weeks Im still trying to piece this movie together.
  16. TiberiuC
    Jan 16, 2010
    One hour into the movie I was still asking myself: who the fuck are these people and why should I care about them? If you want to waste your time, go watch G.I. Joe instead, it's crap, but it's many times more entertaining than this piece of sh*t.
  17. Nov 16, 2010
    As camp as the George Clooney's Batman films (or even Roger Moore's Bond films) and not even close to the class of "The Dark Knight." It is a great production indeed, but it is never as good as its opening credit sequence.
  18. Dec 5, 2010
    This movie was awful. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but you don't have to take my word for it.
  19. Mar 11, 2011
    There must be something like a manual for making movies. Plot, character development, pace, etc. Since apparently there isn't, abysmally awful flicks like this will continue to be made. What is the standard ? And what is the purpose of submitting this to a paying audience ?
  20. frankl
    Jul 9, 2009
    This movie has the graphics to score big as that part is very well done. The dialogues are also pretty good, but do get long and boring after a while. I'll admit I did not know Watchmen before, but it probably will not get many poeple interested in learning more. Again, it wreally starts to get boring after a while, you start to wonder where the movie is heading, or what did you This movie has the graphics to score big as that part is very well done. The dialogues are also pretty good, but do get long and boring after a while. I'll admit I did not know Watchmen before, but it probably will not get many poeple interested in learning more. Again, it wreally starts to get boring after a while, you start to wonder where the movie is heading, or what did you actually learn after 2 hours watching the movie. Also, Dr. Manhattan is very well done, but most of his parts could have been summarized instead of long useless dialogues. Overall graphically this movie is splendid but it ends there. Way too long to get to the point, many dialogues that could have been shortened up, this can leave you wondering why u spent 3 hours watching it. Just my opinion. Expand
  21. Tedcook
    Mar 6, 2009
    Sieve with microscopic holes, looks fine, but all the meaning just pours right through.
  22. AndrewBurdick
    Mar 8, 2009
    They advertised this movie under the "who watches the watchmen" line. They also milked "from the creators of 300". Cool. I have been anticipating this movie for a year. Let me just say that out of the 2 hrs and 45 mins. I can think of maybe 15-20 mins of average/decent action.
    If you are a fan of the book(s) then maybe its a good movie. I'm just glad though I'm not a fan cause this is really all just a bunch of trash. The killing of the Watchmen was a side dish to the "real" story. It was a back-story to keep the uneducated fans as myself who thought they were getting an action movie somewhat satisfied enough to not leave.

The visuals were average, nothing spectacular. I think its actually hillarious that they put it on the "Ultra" screen. Not necassary, there is no action or visualls worth it.
    I've never honestly been so disapointed in a movie in my life. "I am Legend" is up there with the anticipation/hype leading to let-down. But this movie is not as advertised at all and is the biggest let down in at least the last 5 years of me being a movie-goer.
    If your not a fan of the apparently garabage comic, than DO NOT EVEN RENT this crap!!! Not even close to an action movie.
  23. ZachC.
    Mar 14, 2009
    From someone unfamiliar with this (or any other) graphic novel: I felt too little was explained, which made me feel lost, and what was explained was overexplained, which made me feel insulted. It was fun to watch at many points, but dull and slow in many others, and the story was not believable. I loved X-men and don't demand fidelity to the laws of science, but I like humans to act From someone unfamiliar with this (or any other) graphic novel: I felt too little was explained, which made me feel lost, and what was explained was overexplained, which made me feel insulted. It was fun to watch at many points, but dull and slow in many others, and the story was not believable. I loved X-men and don't demand fidelity to the laws of science, but I like humans to act like humans, and didn't buy into several characters in this movie. Expand
  24. JohnDisapointed
    Mar 17, 2009
    An astounding fail this movie is an abomination to the book it was spawned. It is no suprise what so ever that Alan Moore wants to disassociate himself with the movie. It was a terrible movie at best on its own, had there been no book to compare it to countless people would have lost interest and it would have scored a 6-7. BUT since the movie was based upon a deep and powerfull book when An astounding fail this movie is an abomination to the book it was spawned. It is no suprise what so ever that Alan Moore wants to disassociate himself with the movie. It was a terrible movie at best on its own, had there been no book to compare it to countless people would have lost interest and it would have scored a 6-7. BUT since the movie was based upon a deep and powerfull book when it kills the theme, mocks the ideas and charactors and acts as an embodiment of the cancer that is hollywood I cannot help but judge hardly. They overpowerd the charactors, they added excessive sex appeal, they skipped themes, they CHANGED THE CHARACTORS turning some into archetypal supervillian douchbags rather then taking any time to explain them, I loved watchmen because there were no archetypes, now theres a supervillian, a badass, a man reliving his glory days and a slut on the screen. Expand
  25. JoeS
    Mar 19, 2009
    Depressing and heavy handed, the story likes to pretend it has some deep philosophical statement about human kind, but mostly it just keeps slapping you in the face with mallet that has "Humans suck!" written on it in fingerpaint. An undeniably beautiful film, its just depressing and dark. None of the characters are likeable or have any sort of redeeming quality, and the few actually fun Depressing and heavy handed, the story likes to pretend it has some deep philosophical statement about human kind, but mostly it just keeps slapping you in the face with mallet that has "Humans suck!" written on it in fingerpaint. An undeniably beautiful film, its just depressing and dark. None of the characters are likeable or have any sort of redeeming quality, and the few actually fun parts are far too short. I haven't read the graphic novel, but I have no doubt this would be better shown in narrative form because this movie just drains the life out of itself. I give it a 3 for excellent visual appeal, but I could not recommend this to anyone. Expand
  26. AustinT
    Mar 27, 2009
    So who are these people? How are they super powerful (besides the trite radiation accident BS with Manhattan)? Why are some of the characters the same age 50 years ago, while others grow up? Why would the villain bother going after the watchmen instead of just doing what he planned to do in the first place? What is that thing on Mars? Why does that one guy have a purple tiger? There is So who are these people? How are they super powerful (besides the trite radiation accident BS with Manhattan)? Why are some of the characters the same age 50 years ago, while others grow up? Why would the villain bother going after the watchmen instead of just doing what he planned to do in the first place? What is that thing on Mars? Why does that one guy have a purple tiger? There is not a single character I could give a crap about in this film, not one. Unless you read the comic book (I beg your pardon, "graphic novel") there is absolutely nothing in this movie that is worth the cost of admission. For the record, I loved the 300 and Sin City, so it's not that I don't "get it". Expand
  27. MP
    Mar 30, 2009
    Ok, so it *looks* cool, but where's the plot?? Maybe it's my fault that I never read the "graphic novel" ... but should that really be a prerequisite?
  28. C.Lo.
    Mar 9, 2009
    The Watchmen, though enjoyable, was, to be quite honest, too long and drawn out. As some have already stated, if you've read the graphic novel and really enjoyed it, then you will probably love this movie. It is almost a perfect adaptation of the graphic novel, which I found to be pretty good, though I purposefully did not read to the end so the movie would surprise me. To be frank, The Watchmen, though enjoyable, was, to be quite honest, too long and drawn out. As some have already stated, if you've read the graphic novel and really enjoyed it, then you will probably love this movie. It is almost a perfect adaptation of the graphic novel, which I found to be pretty good, though I purposefully did not read to the end so the movie would surprise me. To be frank, the first 3/4 of the movie are quite awesome, and the last 1/4 of the movie is a complete disappointment. Not to mention, Dr. Manhattan (the blue guy) is completely naked the whole movie and is exposed, which blinded me through parts of the movie (if he was having sex, it woulda been intriguing, but no, he was just hanging out. That's really enjoyable). There were many slow scenes unless Rorschach was involved, and my girlfriend even fell asleep twice during the movie. I did enjoy the story (not including the ending), the opening is amazing, Rorschach is a beast, and then... Matthew Goode's acting was terrible. Just plain awful. There are many more things to be said, but the movie was, on the whole, a let down (and i saw it at IMAX), Enjoyable, somewhat worth seeing, but if you're expecting THE next movie, wait for G.I. Joe or Transformers 2 (or Wolverine or Terminator..) Expand
  29. MohamedA
    Feb 16, 2010
    When I was watching Dark Knight in Imax a commercial came up for this movie. At first I thought 'another super hero movie'. After reading the comic and understanding each character well the movie just looked amazing to me. My friends who read the comic liked it and the ones who didn't just thought it was crap. I agree that you have to read the comic to enjoy the movie, but When I was watching Dark Knight in Imax a commercial came up for this movie. At first I thought 'another super hero movie'. After reading the comic and understanding each character well the movie just looked amazing to me. My friends who read the comic liked it and the ones who didn't just thought it was crap. I agree that you have to read the comic to enjoy the movie, but I still watched it over 20 times. Expand
  30. BillyC
    Jul 27, 2009
    If you're sober when you watch this you'll feel as though you're high... If you're high you'll have NO IDEA what's going on here... Terrible.
  31. JohnR
    Jul 29, 2009
    Does anybody realize that this movie makes no sense? The ending is so whimsical you are driven to a Damocles sword. The elegance of the effects and the story are good until it just unravels!!! Even some earlier elements are a waste and contain no significance to the movie just a shame book = better!
  32. Nov 20, 2011
    IMO its the best film based off a comic book/graphic novel of all time. I had no idea what the Watchmen was about until I bought it on DVD and I watched it with my siblings and we were all blown away by how good it was. We all enjoyed it from start to finish and I am sure a lot of others would too.
  33. Mar 6, 2011
    This movie wasn't a great movie, the plot is pretty boring but picks up when the action finally shows up, all the characters but Rorschach are unlikable and lame, this is incredibly overhyped, and get boring at times, but you may be willing to give this a chance just don't expect greatness.
  34. Sep 30, 2011
    I'm going to sum this up in two words: The best. By that, I mean this is the best superhero movie I have ever seen ( compared to the Spider man movies, which were very bad). Watchmen isn't just superhero movie, it is THE superhero movie.
  35. May 4, 2011
    Too much long. Too much violence. I like the mature and realistic approach, but in some moment it loses its goals. It has a great ending endeed but you`ll have to wait...
  36. Sep 22, 2011
    This movie is a mixed bag. Brilliantly directed in some parts. However boring and poorly acted in others. Overall worth seeing with fantastic visuals.
  37. Sep 28, 2011
    Thought it was... ok. Definitely not a huge crowd pleaser like The Dark Knight. No real thrills or shocking payoffs. But this is coming from a guy who's read the book about 15 or 20 times, so maybe a newcomer to the story would beg to differ. But uh... just flat in a lot of areas where the book didn't translate well to the screen. What worked on the page was brought to the screen by ZachThought it was... ok. Definitely not a huge crowd pleaser like The Dark Knight. No real thrills or shocking payoffs. But this is coming from a guy who's read the book about 15 or 20 times, so maybe a newcomer to the story would beg to differ. But uh... just flat in a lot of areas where the book didn't translate well to the screen. What worked on the page was brought to the screen by Zach Snyder as best as anyone could've mustered, but it wasn't really brought to life in a meaningful, emotional way. The violence was fine for the few fight scenes where it was actually present, but that just made them stand out as peculiar, when 90% of the movie is about... talking. Sometimes talking with bad aged makeup.

That rape scene hit me hard. Geez. I knew it was coming, I'd read it plenty of times on the page, but the way it was filmed was just... awful, and you could feel the audience dying inside. Though that was one thing I was surprised about, the audience. I dunno if it was because I went to an 11:50 pm showing or what, but nobody at my screening laughed aloud at Dr. Manhattan's blue dong like so many other reviews have been describing. They were just... pretty much silent throughout. The biggest reaction was when Rorschach spilled the oil on the convict and yelled "I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." Of course they would, it was a great line.

Yea, that Dr. Manhattan... I gotta say, he ended up falling short of my expectations. Not Crudup's voice, that was fine. But the entire CGI entity just... did not look right to me. Maybe it IS the uncanny valley, but I just thought he looked unreal, inhuman, and somewhat of a failure as a visual effect. Perhaps part of that was because he had no pupils. I just checked and he doesn't have any in the graphic novel either, but... perhaps in this case it would've been better to diverge from the source material.

Like I said before... Snyder did as good a job as anyone could've in bringing this book to the movie screen. And yet... I did miss all the material that was cut out. The stuff with the two Bernies, the Psychiatrist's marital problems, Hollis getting pumpkin'd... there was a feeling of loss throughout watching the film. So I dunno how any person who hasn't read the book will react to the movie.

The ending change? Yea, fine. It works logically. About as well as the original ending I suppose. Though the visceral impact of seeing six full pages of dead corpses in New York was completely missing here. Sorry dude, but showing us a giant blue CGI explosion just doesn't carry the same impact. We needed to feel those millions of dead. I did like the Rorschach pattern in the snow though, that was something new and worked pretty well.

Oh yea, one last thing... good god Zach, what were you thinking with that Hallelujah sex scene? Dude, I like porn and I like superheroes, but that scene... I could not have rolled my eyes any further. It was cringeworthy. And no, it was not as bad as the sex scene in 300, because I was perfectly fine with that sex scene. It was short, perfunctory, and did not have an incredibly odd soundtrack. In this case, less would've been more. The scene in the book was only 2 panels, that was about right. Mostly it was the song though... that Hallelujah song will never be the same to me again.

But I did really like the intro credits with Bob Dylan.

Again, thought it was ok. But no, not the greatest comic book movie ever. It's a mostly faithful retelling of the book in 2 and a half hours that, in my opinion, will completely fly over the heads of the mainstream audience. Let's say 3 and a half stars, and I'm being generous.
  38. Apr 7, 2013
    Whats wrong with us you say? Whats wrong with you i ask! This movie is great! Sure, sex scenes where not neccesary but where not bloody offensive, neither was dr.manhattans penis. I image people that found this offensive has been raped or something, so that any "sexual" related stuff is an horror to hear/watch. Terrible acting? nope, even though im not a top-notch movie critic i can tellWhats wrong with us you say? Whats wrong with you i ask! This movie is great! Sure, sex scenes where not neccesary but where not bloody offensive, neither was dr.manhattans penis. I image people that found this offensive has been raped or something, so that any "sexual" related stuff is an horror to hear/watch. Terrible acting? nope, even though im not a top-notch movie critic i can tell you that its not horrible, its fairly good in my opinion. The story is interesting enough. Expand
  39. Mar 22, 2012
    Abysmally paced, ridiculous crybaby dialogue-filled, on-the-nose sexually exploitative, nearly action-free, cantankerous, dark (not in a noir-ish way but in a literal "it's difficult to tell what I'm looking at sometimes" sort of way), leaden, flabby, incredibly overlong train wreck of a bullsh** movie. I've NEVER walked out of a theater before a film ended until Zack Snyder decided toAbysmally paced, ridiculous crybaby dialogue-filled, on-the-nose sexually exploitative, nearly action-free, cantankerous, dark (not in a noir-ish way but in a literal "it's difficult to tell what I'm looking at sometimes" sort of way), leaden, flabby, incredibly overlong train wreck of a bullsh** movie. I've NEVER walked out of a theater before a film ended until Zack Snyder decided to make me look at Dr. Manhattan's penis for one agonizing moment after another for absolutely no reason. The four of us, exasperated, worn out... utterly soul-crushed by what we had already been subjected to leading up to this moment, finally gave up and left... LONG AFTER EVERY OTHER PERSON IN THE THEATER HAD ALREADY DONE SO! There's a line between just making a crappy movie and actually showing bald-faced contempt for your viewing audience. I'd say Snyder is definitely toeing that line, if not stepping over it here. All I know is that I'm still waiting for him to personally refund my $20. Jerk! Expand
  40. Jan 26, 2013
    1985, the world is on the brink of nuclear war. After a superhero named the Comedian is killed, the rest of the superheroes that form the Watchmen must reunite to track down the killer and stop world war 3. A dark, gritty, ultra-violent superhero story full of blood, guts, slaughter and sex, Watchmen is the superhero film for adults only. A great action film with a brilliant cast, great1985, the world is on the brink of nuclear war. After a superhero named the Comedian is killed, the rest of the superheroes that form the Watchmen must reunite to track down the killer and stop world war 3. A dark, gritty, ultra-violent superhero story full of blood, guts, slaughter and sex, Watchmen is the superhero film for adults only. A great action film with a brilliant cast, great director and epic cinematography. Only drawback to the film is the heavy use of 80's politics, which if you are not overly clear on can become too much to handle. Expand
  41. Apr 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Watchmen is a different sort of film: a superhero with E.D: and a villain who wins with a "the ends justifies the means" message. Add to that the giant blue guy that runs around with his penis waging about for the last quarter of the film and this movie was made to push the envelope. Expand
  42. Feb 2, 2013
    This movie is trash, I don`t care what anybody says. I like one of the characters, but man I should punch myself in the face for finishing this movie. I see it has good ratings from allot of people, That just makes it clear, that I am not a zombie who just follows what other people like. I usually like "Super Hero" movies, Not this one!
  43. Apr 15, 2013
    This movie makes me puke. Seriously. How in the world you can rate this positive This "heroes" makes no sense. Plot is awful. Main heroes HeHero and SheHero (didnt bother to remember names) are ugly as hell. And this blue guy without pants every time I saw his huge blue penis my eyes were bleeding. I simply cant understand how you can rate this more than zero.
  44. May 4, 2013
    I did not purchase a twelve dollar movie ticket to see terrible plot holes, poor character development, cheesy dialog lines, and a blue wang. Sure, it has mediocre fight scenes but overall, it is unbearable.This does not reflect the comics at all, whatsoever.
  45. TimH.
    Mar 10, 2009
    Interesting CGI; terrible prosthetics. That having been said, devotees of the comic will applaud the meticulous duplication in script and cinematography, smile at the costumes and casting choices, and cringe at the ending. Newcomers to the franchise will merely scratch their heads. Your girlfriend will probably fall asleep. Watchmen suffocates under the weight of its own fidelity, Interesting CGI; terrible prosthetics. That having been said, devotees of the comic will applaud the meticulous duplication in script and cinematography, smile at the costumes and casting choices, and cringe at the ending. Newcomers to the franchise will merely scratch their heads. Your girlfriend will probably fall asleep. Watchmen suffocates under the weight of its own fidelity, choosing safety over audacity in an attempt to lull basement-dwellers into shelling out cash for an overblown directors-cut Blu Ray of a film that should have stayed unmade. This adaptation suffers the fate of any facsimile of greatness: the failure to exceed its own predecessor, instead basking rigidly in its roomy shadow. This movie is brilliance decaffeinated. Read the comic and rent Dark Knight instead. Expand
  46. JustinF
    Mar 10, 2009
    Good movie. Had some really great parts in it but had some parts that seemed like they didn't belong as well. Didn't pull you into the story and make you feel what was going on. Really enjoyed the Dr. Manhattan backstory narrative though. I wouldn't put it anywhere near the far superior TDK though.
  47. BrandonB.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Great movie i really loved the comic book and i think that they did a wonderful job making it into a movie. would i go see it again? yes it was like the dark knight all over again i liked it that much. it did have its problems but it was still a masterful movie
  48. TheBaldProd
    Mar 6, 2009
    By sticking so closely to the original text, the film-makers have pickled, rather than adapted, Watchmen and delivered a film that could bore a tractor.
  49. KarlK.
    Mar 6, 2009
    The best super hero movie ever made, and one of the best films ever made. Each character is distinct, all of their own unique perspective on the human condition, and all are terrible and terrific, just like us.
  50. MichaelR.
    Mar 6, 2009
    I absolutely loved this movie! Best superhero movie so far to be made, in my opinion. The special effects were amazing!
  51. RaymondG.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Loved it. Ignore Mainstream critics, unless you consider yourself mainstream, aka average and uninteresting. Movie is for those that don't grovel at Madagascar and Benjamin Button.
  52. JoshD.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Saw the midnight release and thought it was awesome! Great directing, acting, writing, and soundtrack. If you have read the comic go see it and if your new to watchmen then I think you'll find this to be a great movie on it's own merit.
  53. JohnS.
    Mar 7, 2009
    Snyder has done the impossible.
  54. AlexR.
    Mar 8, 2009
    Unrelentingly bad. It drags on in a way only acceptable in a book. Instead of choosing to retain all aspects of the original or conversely create an original take on the book, it chose to sat squarely in the middle, awkwardly swaying from one side to the other and completely alienating the unfamiliar audience.
  55. DavidW.
    Mar 9, 2009
    An outstanding achievement. Zach Snyder may not be an original, but he understands what makes his source material great and brings it brilliantly to life on the big screen. The film is wonderfully cast, especially Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach.
  56. KarlD.
    Mar 9, 2009
    I give the benefit of the doubt to those who read the graphic novel. I haven't, and so I really was looking forward to see this on the big screen because it seemed interesting. The movie is a total bore, pointless, overlong, and no action whatsoever except for 2-3 fights which we have seen already in dozens of films. There were times when scenes were so boring and long that I was I give the benefit of the doubt to those who read the graphic novel. I haven't, and so I really was looking forward to see this on the big screen because it seemed interesting. The movie is a total bore, pointless, overlong, and no action whatsoever except for 2-3 fights which we have seen already in dozens of films. There were times when scenes were so boring and long that I was falling asleep. Maybe for those who read the graphic novel this was an amazing movie, perhaps if I read it in the first place and discovered that Watchmen is this load of crap I wouldn't have seen the movie. The only thing interesting in the whole film was the character Rorschach since I love anti-heroes in movies, and of coarse the visual effects. I can't believe the good ratings I'm seeing from users for such a pointless and boring film. Expand
  57. PariahM.
    Apr 5, 2009
    I never read the book, but I really enjoyed this movie. It was visually stunning and the characters were very well developed. It was nice to have superheroes who's motivations fall into a sort of a moral gray area.
  58. MatthewD.
    Aug 3, 2009
    Pretty good, except for the fighting scenes, which were way below par.
  59. lxlxlxllxlxlxl
    Jan 30, 2010
    Anyone that gives the movie a 0 needs to be ignored. This was an astoundingly good piece of filmmaking and this is coming from someone who absolutely love's Alan Moore and was so cynical about Hollywood adaptations of his work that I avoided watching this until tonight. I vaguely remembered some of the some of the New Yorker, Village Voice, and NYTimes bashing of the film, and since Anyone that gives the movie a 0 needs to be ignored. This was an astoundingly good piece of filmmaking and this is coming from someone who absolutely love's Alan Moore and was so cynical about Hollywood adaptations of his work that I avoided watching this until tonight. I vaguely remembered some of the some of the New Yorker, Village Voice, and NYTimes bashing of the film, and since I have a lot of respect for those critics (scott, hoberman, etc.) I avoided the movie. What a mistake. The movie is genuinely gorgeous at times, and the cynicism and projection that was at the heart of the original story are so well preserved. Only the dullest Axe Spray huffing idiot would think the movie is not worth seeing. Please watch and enjoy. Expand
  60. JamieL
    Mar 10, 2009
    I can appreciate the generally mixed critic reviews, but happen to side with those who liked the film immensely. For the record, I did not read the graphic novel, and I think I understood enough from the film in one viewing not to need to read it. Had I read it, I would've been too busy nitpicking about what was changed or missing to actually enjoy the film (I also saw the first I can appreciate the generally mixed critic reviews, but happen to side with those who liked the film immensely. For the record, I did not read the graphic novel, and I think I understood enough from the film in one viewing not to need to read it. Had I read it, I would've been too busy nitpicking about what was changed or missing to actually enjoy the film (I also saw the first Harry Potter film before reading the books, and enjoyed the film a lot more as a result.) So in this case, ignorance is bliss. This was a long movie, but I didn't leave my seat, because every moment was exciting. I also found it was more entertaining and less plodding than "The Dark Knight," a film many are comparing it too. In some regards, "Knight" even feels blander in my memory, although I loved it. But perhaps that's why Dark Knight was so much less polarizing. It wasn't as risky. Expand
  61. TaylorC
    Mar 11, 2009
    As a person that did not read the graphic novel before watching this movie, I had no idea what to expect. I read up on the the story and was quite hyped for the movie. Well, my expectations were blown away. This movie is epic and is one of my favorite superhero movies ever. The story apparently translates really well to a movie and I feel that I could understand all the plot elements that As a person that did not read the graphic novel before watching this movie, I had no idea what to expect. I read up on the the story and was quite hyped for the movie. Well, my expectations were blown away. This movie is epic and is one of my favorite superhero movies ever. The story apparently translates really well to a movie and I feel that I could understand all the plot elements that many like me that hadn't read the novel could not understand. If you have not read the book, I suggest that you at least read up a little about the characters to understand the deep stories behind them. The characters are what tmakes the movie shine. Most of the characters are well acted, most of all by Jackie Earle Haley as Rorshach. He was incredible and played one of the most impressive roles I've seen in years. The violence is quite over-the-top and is pretty awesome if you like that kind of stuff. This movie is definitely not for children; along with the obscene amounts of violence there is also a lot of nudity and some language as well. The script is well written and Zack Snyder does a great job of directing everything. Everything fits in well. The movie is pretty long at 2 hours and 43 minutes, but it is well worth the ticket price and I highly suggest. If you consider yourself a nerd or a fan of superhero movies at all, this is a must-see. Expand
  62. daemonmoore
    Mar 10, 2009
    I ranked it a three for the fight scenes, and that's it - what a waist of movie. Also, this movie is not for the non-comic book audience at all. This movie makes me wanna cuss...
  63. Matt
    Mar 10, 2009
    I couldn't get the hype behind Snyder's "300" even after seeing it a few times, but this, I understand. "Watchmen" is the glossiest form of grit you could ever imagine; think "Taxi Driver" and "The Warriors" with the sensibilities of Stanley Kubrick. It isn't a masterpiece, but it's absolutely in the same league of "The Dark Knight" as far as truly great, gritty I couldn't get the hype behind Snyder's "300" even after seeing it a few times, but this, I understand. "Watchmen" is the glossiest form of grit you could ever imagine; think "Taxi Driver" and "The Warriors" with the sensibilities of Stanley Kubrick. It isn't a masterpiece, but it's absolutely in the same league of "The Dark Knight" as far as truly great, gritty popcorn entertainment. Expand
  64. Turner
    Mar 10, 2009
    Just watched this for the second time, and enjoyed it vastly more the 2nd time. It's so true to the spirit of the graphic novel, it's a totally immersive experience. I really liked it the first viewing, but really loved it the second. Can't wait for the blu-ray with all the additional scenes!
  65. CameronS
    Mar 10, 2009
    It was almost like the novel and i get that nowadays american public cannot sit or like a movie that makes you think that is what the american cinema once was in its hayday.
  66. richardg
    Mar 14, 2009
    Glad to see this movie. It was awesome. It should please the fans of the comic. To me the movie matched exactly the comic. I can understand the hate, this ideas in this story are a bit complicated but the movie kept its form compared to the comic. The movie itself is a historic and visual restoration of the comic. For that am greatly thankful. That's all i wanted and i got it. Glad to see this movie. It was awesome. It should please the fans of the comic. To me the movie matched exactly the comic. I can understand the hate, this ideas in this story are a bit complicated but the movie kept its form compared to the comic. The movie itself is a historic and visual restoration of the comic. For that am greatly thankful. That's all i wanted and i got it. I'm glad it was done this way. I didn't want watchmen story to change. It was the best! Expand
  67. PierceF
    Mar 10, 2009
    I had never heard of watchmen until the trailer appeared on xbox live, I was glad i saw the film! It was very enjoyable if a little graphic and you did not need to know any background info to find the film enjoyable at all!
  68. BenM
    Mar 15, 2009
    I thought this movie was truly great in nearly every respect. The acting was good, the plot was (obviously) comic book-esque, but still good. The acting clicked very well, and overall the movie feels like an adult super-hero epic. For not having experienced the graphic novel, I'm stunned, and very impressed with what Zack Snyder's done. It made me run out and buy the graphic I thought this movie was truly great in nearly every respect. The acting was good, the plot was (obviously) comic book-esque, but still good. The acting clicked very well, and overall the movie feels like an adult super-hero epic. For not having experienced the graphic novel, I'm stunned, and very impressed with what Zack Snyder's done. It made me run out and buy the graphic novel the next day, and that's truly a testament to its power. Expand
  69. emilya
    Mar 10, 2009
    This is possibly the most foul, violent, trite, morally reprehensible pastiche of American cinema ever. Even if I were blind to everything that is offensive about it, its pure aesthetic and entertainment merits alone are enough to make me want to nauseated. That it is earning millions of dollars in the box office and earning high ratings on every movie site suggests to me numerous choice This is possibly the most foul, violent, trite, morally reprehensible pastiche of American cinema ever. Even if I were blind to everything that is offensive about it, its pure aesthetic and entertainment merits alone are enough to make me want to nauseated. That it is earning millions of dollars in the box office and earning high ratings on every movie site suggests to me numerous choice reflections on American society. A brief, albeit comprehensive overview: So...the world is about to go into the last stages of annihilation and the only one that can save it is a blue full-frontal stand-in for god. The most eloquent ambassador that is sent on behalf of humankind is a leather booted large-breasted bimbo who stomps when she doesn't get her way? This is because our day-glo god left his loyal physicist wife for the tramp and apparently she is the most precious thing mankind has left to offer, even though she sluts it around with everyone else. Unfortunately for mankind, she seems more traumatized by the discovery of her illegitimate birth than the hundreds of millions of people that are about to die. But luckily for her, the people do get bombed to a grotesque withering mass death but we discover that her mother loves her so it's OK. It's offensive on every level imaginable. Pregnant women get shot. Women get raped, but return for more. Little girls are mutilated and fed to dogs, but this violence is justified by more violence (sound familiar?). Namely, in this case, the masked avenger hacking the kidnapper with an ax until there is nothing left but some bloody pulpy mass. But worse it doesn't just try to be gratuitous violence married with the most vulgar and cliché adolescent pornography--I'd let 300 slide--the sickening part is that it comports itself as a profound redemptive reflection on mankind. As if all that was done was justified by some shoddy mythological and not even arcane historical references and piss poor attempt at a discussion on Deism. The most ironic part of the film is its attempt to critique the violence and repulsive aspects of human nature but then perpetuates it by tainting the minds of anyone who watched with its filth. In my comfortable liberal existence, I never once considered censorship as an issue to be discussed, but I would happily censor this one. and, Anyone who enjoyed the movie should reconsider their consumptive and putrid existence. Expand
  70. gernick
    Mar 19, 2009
    The movie never feels overlong (quite an achievement at 2.44 hrs) and the acting is great. Seeing the movie after seeing it panned in so many reviews I was pleasantly surprised. I can absolutely recommend this film to anyone, comic geek or not.
  71. KevinM.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Amazing! The closest adaptation to any graphic novel so far!
  72. Will
    Mar 6, 2009
    read "Watchmen" 7 days ago - that was great! just watched the film and i was blown away Great Film - Great Sound Track
  73. AlexB.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Action sequences were perfectly shot, excellent casting, great direction, the acting really made you feel the hopelessness and despair of their world. Loved the book, loved the movie, enough said.
  74. ZachV.
    Mar 6, 2009
    It has its problems, but the Manhattan sequence scored by recycled Philip Glass pieces is cinematic perfection. Not as good, but it will last longer than The Dark Knight simply because of the material.
  75. Chad
    Mar 6, 2009
    Interesting to look at, hard to care about. For those who say you need to read the comic to enjoy the movie... then why watch the movie at all?
  76. ThomasC.
    Mar 6, 2009
    It seems that everyone that panned this epic film forgot one thing...That it is not the graphic novel. And for someone who has not read the story since it was originally released I found the film disturbingly relevant and sublime in its dedication to the source. For under three hours I was transfixed by the beauty of the images and the violence of the story. A superb re-telling of a It seems that everyone that panned this epic film forgot one thing...That it is not the graphic novel. And for someone who has not read the story since it was originally released I found the film disturbingly relevant and sublime in its dedication to the source. For under three hours I was transfixed by the beauty of the images and the violence of the story. A superb re-telling of a classic tale that unfortunately will not be appreciated. Its hypocritical that critics of the film have charged it with being to literal a translation when thier very reviews seem steeped in the lore of the graphic novel itself. Expand
  77. BretG.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Saw it as a sneak peek early screening. Was blown away by how faithful many of the scenes were transferred from the graphic novel, a huge fan service. The altered ending was not surprising, but not a total loss either. For die hard fans, this is a must see. For people not familiar with the book, they may be less inclined to do so or care to understand the story. Overall, it's a Saw it as a sneak peek early screening. Was blown away by how faithful many of the scenes were transferred from the graphic novel, a huge fan service. The altered ending was not surprising, but not a total loss either. For die hard fans, this is a must see. For people not familiar with the book, they may be less inclined to do so or care to understand the story. Overall, it's a beautiful story full of vengeance, carnage, and mystery that compels the viewer to want more. But don't bring your kids. Expand
  78. DaveR.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Near perfect adaptation of the source, superb casting, the ending has been changed slightly to good effect. didn't pull any punches - very enjoyable.
  79. NateR.
    Mar 6, 2009
    It was extremely faithful to the book and was wonderfully well done. However, at times it was extremely cheesy at times (the sex scene)
  80. Bret
    Mar 6, 2009
    Everything the book was, with a better ending. Superb movie!
  81. JamesB.
    Mar 6, 2009
    I just saw the midnight viewing. This may already tip you off that I liked the graphic novel. If you also are a fanboy, you will love this movie. Hands down. I wish I could give it a different score for people who hadn't seen it. We brought along a friend who knew nothing about Watchmen except that it had a giant blue guy in it, and he loved it, too. Didn't understand it as I just saw the midnight viewing. This may already tip you off that I liked the graphic novel. If you also are a fanboy, you will love this movie. Hands down. I wish I could give it a different score for people who hadn't seen it. We brought along a friend who knew nothing about Watchmen except that it had a giant blue guy in it, and he loved it, too. Didn't understand it as much, though, so he said he'd give it an 8. Expand
  82. DavidB.
    Mar 6, 2009
    As a fan of Watchmen, this movie was great, like watching the graphic novel. Those negative reviews out there are absolutely ridiculous. Sure, I had high expectations, I did with the Lord of the Rings too, but I wasn't disappointed then and I haven't been now. What Peter Jackson did for fantasy, Zack Snyder has done for the graphic novel. He is a genius and this masterpiece As a fan of Watchmen, this movie was great, like watching the graphic novel. Those negative reviews out there are absolutely ridiculous. Sure, I had high expectations, I did with the Lord of the Rings too, but I wasn't disappointed then and I haven't been now. What Peter Jackson did for fantasy, Zack Snyder has done for the graphic novel. He is a genius and this masterpiece shows it. It's gritty and epic, not missing out on the depth behind everything. But don't just take my word for it, sure Watchmen is not for everyone, it's a little more graphic than I expected, but it fit the setting. If you're up for a thrill ride, give Watchmen a shot. Expand
  83. JustinH.
    Mar 6, 2009
    One of the most well paced, perfectly acted and socially relevant movies I have ever seen
  84. PeterS.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Amazing movie followed the novel closely was not disappointing at all.
  85. JosephD.
    Mar 6, 2009
    This is easily the best movie I've ever seen.
  86. Andy
    Mar 6, 2009
    I enjoyed the beginning montage scene. And all the noire stuff with Roscharck was great. The third act was pretty weak. Considering the budget, it could have looked a bit better.
  87. Stevie
    Mar 7, 2009
    Don't know how this scored so low. It is incredible.
  88. RowdyR.
    Mar 7, 2009
    Entertaining if you don't think about it too much and just go with it. I have never read the "graphic novel" (apparently a fancy word for a comic book) so keep that in mind. There is fun to be had here. The Comedian is a well realized character, as is that Owl dude and Rorschach (?), even though the Owl dude is just a poor man's batman in reality. The main bad guy is a little Entertaining if you don't think about it too much and just go with it. I have never read the "graphic novel" (apparently a fancy word for a comic book) so keep that in mind. There is fun to be had here. The Comedian is a well realized character, as is that Owl dude and Rorschach (?), even though the Owl dude is just a poor man's batman in reality. The main bad guy is a little boring and fey. The Blue Guy and his Wife are pretty much boring and you never really care about them. The script is convoluted and did not make a lot of sense to me. Some parts of the movie are just flat dumb....why does Blue Dude have that circle on his forehead? Instead of just leaving it unexplained (like this is the only thing in this movie that needs an explaination) there is a scene where he uses his finger to draw it on his forehead...oh! ok, now I understand! The overall look of this movie was so-so....nothing really innovative here, and some of the effects I thought were pretty bad (like the whole blue man effect) and really nothing innovative here (300 was better). The make-up was REALLY BAD (I saw it in Imax)...lots of really apparent goofy wigs and latex noses and wrinkles. The use of "popular music" was poorly executed. At times they try to use the music to frame the time events are happening (like using "99 ballons" for a scene from the 80's) but then the suddenly also start using music from the 60's and so this was in-congruent and they were not very innovative in their music selection (took too many obvious choices..e.g. Sound of Silence during a funeral scene). If you don't try to make sense of the script you will be ok. Some of it seems really campy...imagine a world where Richard Nixon is Still President! Although this might have seemed creepy back in the 80's, now it just seems dopey if you are trying to frame a "disturbing alternate view of the world" (and considering what we have all just gone through with Dubya, it almost seems like a comforting notion). Most of the actors are well cast and do good jobs. I guess it is an "adult comic book movie" because there are boobs and people have sex. But I am immensely confused about the whole premise of the Watchmen. So, they started out as cops who started dressing up (so they are normal guys) but in this movie they start doing Superhuman things (running up walls, punching through them, etc.) so that to me does not make any sense. Anyways, like I say, don't think about it too much, go with it, and you will have fun, but don't believe the hype about what a sophisticated take on superheroes this is. Expand
  89. GrantL.
    Mar 7, 2009
    This movie is a visual masterpiece. All the characters are classic, and he story could not be any better.
  90. Ali
    Mar 7, 2009
    I have read and enjoyed the comic book, however I found this film rubbish. The film was an almost direct translation of the book which was good for some short action sequences (the prison bit) but for the majority of the film caused the plot to slow down to a crawl and become very very boring. I really like the book but I would not read it all in one sitting, same goes for this film and I have read and enjoyed the comic book, however I found this film rubbish. The film was an almost direct translation of the book which was good for some short action sequences (the prison bit) but for the majority of the film caused the plot to slow down to a crawl and become very very boring. I really like the book but I would not read it all in one sitting, same goes for this film and possibly a TV miniseries would have been better. The best advice would be just to read the comic and ignore this film. Expand
  91. TylerD.
    Mar 7, 2009
    It did not suck.... I kept waiting for some bad ass scene but it never came.... Overall it was one of the most disappointing movies I have ever seen... Watchmen had the perfect recipe for a classic and it was way too long, movies that long need to have great action to keep their desired audience watching.. Total bummer, this is the flop of the year, all that bark and no bite...
  92. JackC.
    Mar 7, 2009
    This movie was great. I could see how people wouldn't like it, but personally I read and loved the comic and this was a very faithful and entertaining movie.
  93. AndrewB.
    Mar 7, 2009
    Great movie! I loved the novel, and I was very pleased with this interpretation of it!
  94. TitaniumD.
    Mar 7, 2009
    Overall okay, but too direct of an adaptation of the graphic novel to the big screen. Its pacing was often schizophrenic and the music choices, while funny, didn't quite work right. Overall they stuck too close to the graphic novel. Some of the dialogue, directly taken from the graphic novel, sounded stilted and somehow wrong. Rorsarch and Doctor Manhattan's speech patterns both Overall okay, but too direct of an adaptation of the graphic novel to the big screen. Its pacing was often schizophrenic and the music choices, while funny, didn't quite work right. Overall they stuck too close to the graphic novel. Some of the dialogue, directly taken from the graphic novel, sounded stilted and somehow wrong. Rorsarch and Doctor Manhattan's speech patterns both showed this; while they sounded good sometimes, at other times they sounded awful. Overall, an okay movie, but unexceptional due to the directness of the adaptation. Expand
  95. DaverS.
    Mar 7, 2009
    I love the comic books. And I loved the movie. I mean, the comic book was epic and there was no way they were going to be able to fit all the information in the movie, unless the movie was about 6 or 7 hours long, perhaps longer. Yes the movie looked like the cinematography was lifted straight out of the comic books, but i don't understand why some others think this is such a bad thing.
  96. GeorgeL.
    Mar 7, 2009
    I loved it. Perfect soundtrack, with Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen topping it perfectly. Stuck to the graphic novel only as much as it needed to. I loved the slow-motion scenes and the actor for the midget in jail. I expected Kramer to be running in any second. ("It's a riot, Mickey!")
  97. EricF.
    Mar 7, 2009
    Excellent adaptation from the graphic novel. The reviewers who gave it poor reviews didn't read the graphic novel... sorry for giving you a film that requires a little bit of work. I guess you're not used to that these days. Hollywood has gotten lazy.
  98. MikeM.
    Mar 7, 2009
    Much of what Rowdy R says is true, but i would go a step further and say this movie is boring. It can be cut into two halves -- the first half focusing on nothing but character development of boring characters, and the second half is where some plot finally tries to take place. The ending of course has a couple of predictable plot twists to stick with the formula. The script is all very Much of what Rowdy R says is true, but i would go a step further and say this movie is boring. It can be cut into two halves -- the first half focusing on nothing but character development of boring characters, and the second half is where some plot finally tries to take place. The ending of course has a couple of predictable plot twists to stick with the formula. The script is all very confusing and the film itself is too long... about 30minutes too long. In its defense, the masked dude and his droning monologues is quite cool, as is the prison break scene. But great special effects dont make a movie great. If you're a fan of the comic book or the wave of comic movies that hollywood is pumping out these days, you might enjoy this. Otherwise save your money, go see Gran Torino. Expand
  99. PhilipMitchell
    Mar 7, 2009
    I can understand why someone without patience would rate this movie poorly as it takes some time for the story to play out. It certainly doesn't deserve the lower ratings on Metacritic. If you are on the fence due to the mixed reviews I say ignore them and go see the movie. It probably won't be what you are expecting but in a good way.
  100. MelissaB.
    Mar 7, 2009
    This is a movie without a roadmap. It heads for uncharted territory and doesn't give you a sense of where it is going. If you need the familiarity of the same old action film or ages old story told again and again, this movie is not for you. If you want something different and like doing unexpected things at 3am, then this is your movie. If Hollywood and the Academy are being honest This is a movie without a roadmap. It heads for uncharted territory and doesn't give you a sense of where it is going. If you need the familiarity of the same old action film or ages old story told again and again, this movie is not for you. If you want something different and like doing unexpected things at 3am, then this is your movie. If Hollywood and the Academy are being honest about treating "Superhero Movies" as legit drama, then please consider Jackie Earle Haley for a Best Supporting Actor nod. Full disclosure: I am a female and although in general I have enjoyed graphic novels and comics in the past, I never read the Watchmen. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Okay, it isn't the graphic novel, but Zack Snyder clearly gives a toss, creating a smart, stylish, decent adaptation, if low on accessibility for the non-convert.
  2. Snyder and writers David Hayter and Alex Tse never find a reason for those unfamiliar with the graphic novel to care about any of this nonsense. And it is nonsense.
  3. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    The movie is ultimately undone by its own reverence; there's simply no room for these characters and stories to breathe of their own accord, and even the most fastidiously replicated scenes can feel glib and truncated.