Watchmen

8.1

1. Jul 7, 2013
    Yes, I've read Watchmen. And yes, I do believe it is one of the most interesting, involving, thought-provoking, mind-blowing books I've ever read of any genre. Anyone who's read my reviews of comic book-inspired movies knows I've never claimed to be a comic book fan. I usually steer clear of the medium, but Watchmen was a must-read (actually a must-read over and over). And being a WatchmenYes, I've read Watchmen. And yes, I do believe it is one of the most interesting, involving, thought-provoking, mind-blowing books I've ever read of any genre. Anyone who's read my reviews of comic book-inspired movies knows I've never claimed to be a comic book fan. I usually steer clear of the medium, but Watchmen was a must-read (actually a must-read over and over). And being a Watchmen fan going into Warner Bros Pictures' and Zack Snyder's film adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' critically acclaimed work, I had high hopes for this feature film based on what's widely regarded as unfilmable source material. Did Snyder's cinematic vision live up to expectations? Absolutely. Snyder and writers David Hayter and Alex Tse had to lose portions of the graphic novel (which first appeared as a comic book series in the mid-1980s) in order to condense the story into a reasonable running time and comprehensible narrative. They also had the difficult task of making the film accessible to those who haven't read Watchmen without trampling on the dreams of Watchmen fans who've been waiting decades for a movie based on Moore and Gibbons' characters. Watchmen fans must realize going in that this is not a panel by panel adaptation in the vein of 300. That would have been an impossible endeavor given the richness and sheer depth of the graphic novel. As such, important portions of Watchmen have been left out. Failing to make the cut in the feature film are any mentions of Tales of the Black Freighter (an animated short is being released separately on DVD) and Hollis Mason's Under the Hood. And Watchmen the movie relegates the past members of the Minutemen to mere fleeting glimpses in the film's marvelously inventive opening credits (one of the best lead-ins to a film I can recall). The ending's also been drastically tweaked. But all that aside, most importantly, the message, the tone, and the six central characters have made the leap to the big screen nearly completely intact. Alan Moore used Watchmen as a way to deconstruct the superhero genre while at the same time reflecting on world issues. What sacrifices would we be willing to make in order to save the world from itself? Does the end justify the means, if it entails the loss of life in order to stop a nuclear war? Watchmen is set in an alternate 1980's reality in which presidential term limits are no longer enforced and the Doomsday Clock is closer than ever to striking midnight as the United States and Russia move toward nuclear war. In this twisted world, costumed vigilantes once worked side by side with law enforcement. Known as the Minutemen, these crime-fighters didn't have any special powers, just the desire to clean up the streets. As the original group aged and moved on, a new wave of costumed crime-fighters popped up. This new group (the Crimebusters) followed in the footsteps of the Minuteman, rounding up bank robbers and murderers, all without the backing of the power of a badge. But the tide eventually turned and costume-wearing vigilantes were forced into retirement with the passage of the Keene Act (the film glosses over this part of the story). After the passage of the Keene Act, Dr Manhattan and The Comedian, a ruthless, morally bankrupt, cold-blooded killer, are allowed to continue to work with/work for the government. Rorschach, another member of the team, continues to hunt down villains but does so unofficially, outside the confines of the law. Although Snyder and company serve up backstories by way of flashbacks, most of the action in the movie Watchmen takes place following the murder of The Comedian. Rorschach becomes driven to find the truth behind who killed The Comedian (someone he holds in high regard despite his despicable acts). In order to ferret out the killer and find out if whoever it is is targeting costumed vigilantes and for what purpose, Rorschach pulls his old crime-fighting compadres out of retirement. As Rorschach, Nite Owl II, and Silk Spectre II dig into this plot to kill all 'superheroes', they uncover a conspiracy the depths of which they never anticipated upon hearing the news of The Comedian's murder.
    Watchmen is not a film for everyone and it won't connect with audiences looking for the standard superhero genre flick. Watchmen is unflinchingly violent, there's nudity (Dr Manhattan's penis is right there in your face even if you blink, you won't miss it), raw sex, and there's none of the lighthearted superhero-type moments in this that we've come to expect from major motion picture adaptations of comic books. Watchmen presents a world in which actions have real consequences and they're not necessarily pretty, and if people were in fact superheroes, they'd be warped and in desperate need of some serious therapy. This film's gritty and nasty and you want to wash your hands when you're done watching it. But I'm betting after just one screening of the film, you'll think more about Watchmen than any other comic book/graphic novel-inspired movie you've ever witnessed.
  2. Sep 21, 2011
    Zack Snyder's "Watchmen" has it all; the dark tone/environment, insanely deep characters, powerful action, and profround ideas. It's very obedient to the comic and serves its purpose as a translator of modern heroes and what they represent to the society.
  3. Feb 2, 2012
    A film the critics got dead wrong, Watchmen is the best comic book/graphic novel based film I have ever see. I had no idea what it was about, I liked the trailer and clips of it so I decided to buy the DVD. I loved it. A must watch imo.
  4. Mar 24, 2013
    Watchmen is probably the most unique and thought provoking superhero movie ever made. It's also one of the best. The plotting, atmosphere and characterizations are all top class, as are the fantastic fight scenes. I might well know nothing about the graphic novel that the film was based on, but I can tell you this; Watchmen is awesome!
  5. Aug 25, 2014
    I haven't read the graphic novel yet.

I haven't read the graphic novel yet.

When I started, I was expecting to see another superhero movie, but was slightly surprised how different "Watchmen" was from movies like X-Men and Fantastic Four. There was a lot more graphic violence - and sex - than I expected. The latter didn't even seem all that important for the story. The brutal, straightforward violence, on the other hand, gave the movie a sharp undertone.

The beginning of the movie was very nice, but when the titles began rolling, it seemed to take almost too long. There were phases in the plot where things didn't seem to move in any important direction, but those didn't last long enough to ruin the general air of the movie.

I liked Dr. Manhattan a lot. The actor, and the character's struggle was the best part of the movie.

Roschach's monologue reminded me of "Sin City". All in all, his character was very wicked and broken. I couldn't get enough of that shifting mask of his.

All in all the movie carries itself pretty well from start to finish. It is dark, wicked, powerful, and brings forth many different feelings from joy to utter loss.

The soundtrack sounded "old", which matched the era of the movie, in my opinion. Other than that, it was hard to imagine it was taking place in a time before I was even born.
  6. Oct 8, 2012
    The are landmarks in comic book publishing, and there are landmarks in superhero filmmaking. Watchmen is an example of both. Alan Moore's graphic novel changed comics forever, and proved to the world once and for all that they could be taken seriously as a medium. Perhaps the film version hasn't had the same impact, but it should be respected nonetheless. It's a real shame that MooreThe are landmarks in comic book publishing, and there are landmarks in superhero filmmaking. Watchmen is an example of both. Alan Moore's graphic novel changed comics forever, and proved to the world once and for all that they could be taken seriously as a medium. Perhaps the film version hasn't had the same impact, but it should be respected nonetheless. It's a real shame that Moore disowned the project after seeing sub-par film adaptations of From Hell and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, as Zack Snyder's Watchmen is a very good film. It's a pessimistic view of an alternate universe with real superheroes, a world of heightened Cold War paranoia and near-constant awareness of human mortality. The heroes of this universe are all deeply flawed, and make for fascinating characters - Jackie Earle Haley's psychotic masked vagrant Rorschach, Patrick Wilson's idealistic but impotent and out-of-shape caped crusader Nite Owl and Billy Crudup's increasingly removed nuclear man-god Dr. Manhattan being particular highlights. Snyder's films are always visually stunning, but Watchmen sets a new standard, as often it looks like Dave Gibbon's artwork has stepped straight off the page and onto the big screen, and Snyder's good sense for over-the-top violence and dynamic cinematography serves this living comic for grown-ups well. The film's standout scenes are the interconnected flashbacks that flesh out the characters, their relationships with each other, and what drives them, and Dr. Manhattan's origin story is particularly emotionally engaging. Watchmen also has one of the most memorable opening credits sequences on film, presented as a striking and really quite beautiful extended montage that establishes just how much has changed in a world that has had masked vigilantes operating in it since the late 1930s, all with Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are a-Changin'" playing over the top. Watchmen isn't perfect - it's rather long, yet somehow the final act still feels rushed and a little clumsily put together, and there's the odd plot-hole to be found in the theatrical release (thankfully resolved in the director's cut), but Zack Snyder's vision of Alan Moore's universe is still one of the more faithful, respectful and coherent book-to-film adaptations. Snyder retains all of the "meat" of Moore's book and brings it to life with expert visual execution. They said Watchmen could never be filmed. They were wrong. Expand
  7. Jun 11, 2013
    Action,fun,sex was included in that masterpiece. I really liked this movie.
    it was one of the best action films these years. The plot was good, the direction extraordinary and the characters beyond fantasy. A good one
  8. Nov 20, 2011
    IMO its the best film based off a comic book/graphic novel of all time. I had no idea what the Watchmen was about until I bought it on DVD and I watched it with my siblings and we were all blown away by how good it was. We all enjoyed it from start to finish and I am sure a lot of others would too.
  9. May 25, 2014
    Now i know most people when you ask them to write a list of their top five comic book movies they wont have Watchmen on their list. For me though i love this film and have it in my top three super-hero movies of all time. Watching the film in the theater was just a blast again being directed by Zack Snyder he gave it is feel and it just blows it put the water visually the film is anNow i know most people when you ask them to write a list of their top five comic book movies they wont have Watchmen on their list. For me though i love this film and have it in my top three super-hero movies of all time. Watching the film in the theater was just a blast again being directed by Zack Snyder he gave it is feel and it just blows it put the water visually the film is an eye-gasm with action and sheer brutalness "umm seeing a person get blown up and the body hanging form the ceiling YES PLEASE" that was so crazy.

The Cast is great and they do show off a bit of different super hero's the main cast is Dr. Manhattan, Rorschach, Nite Owl, The Comedian, Silk Spectre II, Ozymandias, Now while they don't powers other then Dr. Manhattan they are more so just vigilantes in a alternate universe where they came out in the 1940s and 1960s, fighting crime and even helping The United States win the Vietnam War.

Now while the film is 2 hours and 45 minutes which this film need to be this long to explain a 12 issue volume it did end up getting a Director's cut running at 186 minutes then a Ultimate cut running at 215 minutes definitely enough to get the story told and it does masterfully.

Overall i give this a 9.0 I just love this movie and even the comics
  10. Sep 22, 2011
    This movie is a mixed bag. Brilliantly directed in some parts. However boring and poorly acted in others. Overall worth seeing with fantastic visuals.
  11. Mar 9, 2013
    Though it may be confusing and hard minded to some, Watchmen is execellently written adaption of one of the best graphic novels ever. Its visually impressive, it had lots of action, and it had great dramatic moments added along with it making this Snyder's best work by far.
  12. Jan 20, 2011
    Watchmen could be the best superhero movie ever adapted successfully from comic books, even could be better than THE DARK KNIGHT (2008). The Director is Zack Snyder, the man behind the extraordinary 300 (2006). He also directed the simple but effective horror, DAWN OF THE DEAD in 2004. Snyder is a young Director that his track-record never flaw until now. The cinematography on thiz film isWatchmen could be the best superhero movie ever adapted successfully from comic books, even could be better than THE DARK KNIGHT (2008). The Director is Zack Snyder, the man behind the extraordinary 300 (2006). He also directed the simple but effective horror, DAWN OF THE DEAD in 2004. Snyder is a young Director that his track-record never flaw until now. The cinematography on thiz film is still stunning, every scene made with a great detail. The Watchmen original material comes from graphic comic written by Alan Moore. Every character in Watchmen is very unique. The most unique character maybe is Dr. Manhattan, who played by Billy Crudup. The other Casts are: Malin Akerman, Jackie Earle Haley, Patrick Wilson, Matthew Goode, Carla Gugino , and Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Watchmen told a story about a group of super heroes dealing with the society on alternate world in 1985. One side, they needed to maintain peace, and the other side, they had put in distance because of their oddity .The soundtracks support well to give a precise atmosphere during thiz film. The conflict along the plots was in order and proportional. Malin Akerman physical appearance as Silk Spectre II, in my opinion is the best presentation of superhero character. The posture and shape what superhero should looks like appears perfectly. The climax on this movie was also very fair, where we could blurred by who is the bad guys or good guys. Thiz shows us the movie was far mature that seem to be.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  13. Dec 7, 2013
    You know what I liked it. I have read the comic so I can't be accused of not understanding how much of a bad adaptation this is, I love both of them. The comic is much deeper and more cleverly constructed but the movie appeals to a wider audience and makes some of the characters more likeable. Why this is almost rotten and fans of the comic don't hate it I will never know. But it's one ofYou know what I liked it. I have read the comic so I can't be accused of not understanding how much of a bad adaptation this is, I love both of them. The comic is much deeper and more cleverly constructed but the movie appeals to a wider audience and makes some of the characters more likeable. Why this is almost rotten and fans of the comic don't hate it I will never know. But it's one of my favorite movies of all time. Expand
  14. May 24, 2016
    My favorite film adaptation of a comic book. Well cast and a groovy soundtrack. Must watch!

Watch it online for free: http://www.watchfree.to/watch-10b-Watchmen-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  15. Jul 8, 2013
    I've read and love Watchmen, and still love this movie. Not sure why it got hated on as much as it did. It could of been more true to the source material, but it was overall very graphic and entertaining.
  16. Aug 7, 2011
    Alternative take on superhero movies with plenty of darkness in the characters and good use of the heroes interacting with moments in history. In fact some of their actions would cause you to question if they are even the good guys which added more of a human element to them. A good sci-fi movie which rises above the usual run of the mill plots.
  17. May 24, 2014
    Easily the most underrated comic book films of all time, Watchmen is a visual entertaining film that really captures the dark, depressing tone of Alan Moore's sensational award winning graphic novel, full of amazing action, acting (the actor who plays Rocatch is amazing) and a will crafted plot that is alot more grounded compared to the unreal ending of the graphic novel.

8/10 Cons:

Cons:
    -Music at times is really off putting and just awkwardly placed, for example the sassy scene on the film.
    -Pasting at times is too fast too slow, depending on what is happening
    -Some of the amazing set peaces from the comic book that really embrace the overall impact humanization are left out from the film, which is very upsetting
    -Really, Really cheesy at times
  18. Mar 25, 2016
    Great comic book film, probably the best R rated one after Deadpool in my opinion. It's extremely true to it's sources, everything from the graphic novel was poured onto the big screen without any compromise. The plot is fantastic and it stays pretty coherent and cohesive for its 3 hours runtime, the acting is great, the special effects are pretty good for 2009 and the costumes andGreat comic book film, probably the best R rated one after Deadpool in my opinion. It's extremely true to it's sources, everything from the graphic novel was poured onto the big screen without any compromise. The plot is fantastic and it stays pretty coherent and cohesive for its 3 hours runtime, the acting is great, the special effects are pretty good for 2009 and the costumes and practical effects are incredible. But the most impressive aspect of the film is how it looks in general. Its very dark, gritty and dirty, you can almost smell the blood and the sweat coming out of it. Visually its amazing, Zack Snyder is known for that and this movie is in my opinion his masterpiece. He was able to produce a film in which its storyline and characters were able to reach the heights of the visual spectacle. Expand
  19. Aug 30, 2013
    Even though the film overextends its welcome and has a tenacity to assert its political themes as often as possible, its graphic violence, durable characters, and stunning depiction of an unscrupulous alternate Earth more than compensate.
  20. Jan 28, 2011
    Being a huge fan of the graphic novel, the only thing I hold against this movie is one performance. But the incredible accuracy to the novel, the excellent action, and the superb overall cast, Watchmen is unforgettable! See it!
  21. Jan 26, 2013
    1985, the world is on the brink of nuclear war. After a superhero named the Comedian is killed, the rest of the superheroes that form the Watchmen must reunite to track down the killer and stop world war 3. A dark, gritty, ultra-violent superhero story full of blood, guts, slaughter and sex, Watchmen is the superhero film for adults only. A great action film with a brilliant cast, great1985, the world is on the brink of nuclear war. After a superhero named the Comedian is killed, the rest of the superheroes that form the Watchmen must reunite to track down the killer and stop world war 3. A dark, gritty, ultra-violent superhero story full of blood, guts, slaughter and sex, Watchmen is the superhero film for adults only. A great action film with a brilliant cast, great director and epic cinematography. Only drawback to the film is the heavy use of 80's politics, which if you are not overly clear on can become too much to handle. Expand
  22. Mar 20, 2016
    In the mid-’80s, writer Alan Moore began to imagine a world in which the superheroes and costumed crime-fighters he’d grown up reading helped shape the Cold War decades that had repeatedly brought humanity to the brink of extinction. It wasn’t a better world. Behind their masks and glowing eyes, the heroes Moore conceived and created with artist Dave Gibbons were hindered, and occasionallyIn the mid-’80s, writer Alan Moore began to imagine a world in which the superheroes and costumed crime-fighters he’d grown up reading helped shape the Cold War decades that had repeatedly brought humanity to the brink of extinction. It wasn’t a better world. Behind their masks and glowing eyes, the heroes Moore conceived and created with artist Dave Gibbons were hindered, and occasionally crippled, by the same conflicting impulses, childhood traumas, and redirected neuroses that drive everyone else. Moore and Gibbons’ graphic novel Watchmen helped redefine the types of stories superheroes could be used to tell, not just by freighting them with darkness—too many subsequent creators showed how easy that could be—but by weaving their capes and gadgets into a dense, deep narrative: a detective story played out against the apocalypse in a world so thoroughly realized that Charles Dickens would be jealous.

The same elements that make Watchmen a great book made a Watchmen film a difficult prospect. (Moore, on principle, removed himself and his name from the project, which probably didn’t help.) It’s remarkable that any Watchmen movie made it to the screen, after the years of false starts and litigation. And the one we got—directed by Zack Snyder, most recently responsible for the ably made, philosophically dubious Frank Miller adaptation 300—deserves credit for staying true to the characters, plot (up to a point), and look of the original material while still generating his own kind of energy. Sometimes that energy feels misapplied and overcranked, as the roar of the action drowns out the film’s human voices, but Snyder’s Watchmen keeps moving so assuredly, it’s nearly impossible not to get swept along.

Keeping Moore’s alternate-universe ’80s New York setting, Watchmen opens with the murder of The Comedian (Jeffrey Dean Morgan), a long-serving crime-fighter with a late-career sideline in covert ops. (The film keeps Moore’s dark joke that electing Nixon to multiple terms is one of his world’s problems.) A masked vigilante named Rorschach (Jackie Earle Haley)—the only one who didn’t hang up his disguise when the government outlawed civilian crime-fighters in the mid-’70s—launches an investigation and uncovers a much larger conspiracy, one seemingly tied to mounting nuclear tensions between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R., as well as a bunch of Rorschach’s old colleagues. These include the Silk Spectre (Malin Akerman), who inherited the title from her mother (Carla Gugino); Nite Owl (Patrick Wilson) a bookish, wealthy master of machines; Ozymandias (Matthew Goode), who’s since turned his remarkable intellect to acquiring wealth and power; and Dr. Manhattan (Billy Crudup), a lab-accident-created glowing godlike being whose connection to humanity remains an open question.

There’s sometimes too much Dr. Manhattan in Snyder’s Watchmen, which often feels like a feat of engineering first, an artistic expression second. But his source material keeps him grounded, as does solid work from Crudup, Wilson, and especially Haley, whose performance evokes pity, fear, sympathy, and revulsion as he goes about his single-minded pursuit of justice without compromise. Others bring less. Given a central role, the lightweight Akerman serves as an Andie MacDowell-in-Four-Weddings-And-A-Funeral-level distraction, and Snyder isn’t always well-served by his tendency to start at 11 and try to turn up the volume, particularly in a bunch of over-the-top, bone-cracking action scenes. The time spent developing watchmen-fu would have been better invested in not blowing one of the book’s big Mars setpieces, or figuring out a better alternate ending than the one dropped in the original’s place.

And yet in the end, the film’s ambitious drive to create a dread-soaked alternate America and people it with flawed, recognizable heroes carries it along. Snyder uses grand gestures to create a sense of world-imperiling doom rooted in another era, but equally at home in this one. But he also remains willing to slow down to capture the gravity of a funeral, or dwell on a moment between old partners patching up a friendship as doomsday approaches. Moore’s touch emphasizes how messed-up and needy comic-book people would have to be to do what they do. Missteps and all, Snyder’s film gets that right, and this as well: When we look up in the sky, we don’t see a bird or a plane, but a mirror.
  23. Jun 12, 2011
    This movie is something special. The acting through out the film is fantastic. Even the small roles were strong. The plot was great and flowed well. I have never read the graphic novel because I usually don't like graphic novels but after seeing this movie I am going to have to read it. I also loved the visuals and the fact that the movie really dove into what its like to be a superheroThis movie is something special. The acting through out the film is fantastic. Even the small roles were strong. The plot was great and flowed well. I have never read the graphic novel because I usually don't like graphic novels but after seeing this movie I am going to have to read it. I also loved the visuals and the fact that the movie really dove into what its like to be a superhero after nobody wants you anymore. A great film that takes a dark look at what the world could have been like. Expand
  24. Mar 27, 2016
    Zack Snyder is a genius when it comes to taking images of a comic book and putting them up on the screen. A stunning visual spectacle of a comic book that was deemed impossible to put on screen.
  25. Jun 6, 2016
    Watchmen released into theaters after the astonishing The Dark Knight and boy, this film was amazing. Zack Snyder was able to create an underrated comic book story into a more compelling superhero flick then many other in it's genre. It has a dark tone and horrifying plot that gets you on the edge of your seat with goosebumps rising abve your skin.

Rating: 10/10 A+ = 10 A = 9 A- =

D = 1.5
    D- = 1
    F = 0
  26. Nov 28, 2010
    A little ard to follow since i never read the graphic novel. But the action, awesome characters, and visuals helped me keep watching it. I did get somewhat bored towards the end, but that's honestly nit-pickery. I would like to read the graphic novel, if i ever get the chance. But good movie.
  27. Jul 15, 2013
    What makes Watchmen so great is that it's one of very few comic adaptions that's almost entirely true to it's source material. It's about 98% accurate. That's what makes this film as good as the cult classic graphic novel.
  28. Jun 14, 2013
    Watchmen is the story of vigilante's who stop crime, all the way from the days WW1 to the year of Nixon's election, and now have to deal with someone who is taking out the masked heroes one by one. This based off; more like an exact copy of, the graphic novel by the same name. This film did not do so well at the box office; it still made some money, just not a lot. So there was already aWatchmen is the story of vigilante's who stop crime, all the way from the days WW1 to the year of Nixon's election, and now have to deal with someone who is taking out the masked heroes one by one. This based off; more like an exact copy of, the graphic novel by the same name. This film did not do so well at the box office; it still made some money, just not a lot. So there was already a layer of uninterested when this came out. Eventually I got a hold of it on blu-ray; in fact it was my first blu-ray movie I got, and I was generally pleased with it. I really liked the visual style of it, the dark and grimy detail really sells it. It's just like the graphic novel pages were on the screen. Another thing I like to mention is Jackie Earl Haley as Rorscach. This is the best performance in the movie. The way he makes his character act like such a intimidating presents is amazing when thinking about how tall he is; not very. It's almost like Marv from sin city, he's a bad ass, but also a loser in a way. Although with theses great compliments I appear to be giving this film, there're some problems I'd like to address. While Rorshach is great, the other characters don't really leave much of an impression. The guy who played Mr. Manhattan I guess did okay; if he was suppose to sound completely uninterested was his goal, then he's one of the few exceptions. I mean, I just don't find the others that interesting, and the actors don't try to do anything to make them feel real at any point. The running time can be an issue as well, running at around two an a half hours long, it can be a bit dragging when the film is not entirely interesting or captivating throughout. Even if there's not a total appreciation for this film by most, I still like it, and I'm sure there's other who agree with me. Expand
  29. Aug 18, 2012
    This movie stands alone within the Superhero genre. Taken as an interpretation of the graphic novel, which itself is among the greatest novels of our time, this movie is perfect. The Ultimate Cut is the cut to watch, for it brings together all the plot points from the novel in one film.
  30. Jan 3, 2016
    I never read the graphic novel, but I've seen the film several times now and I can hardly get enough of it. For those of you unaware of the plot, it is a compelling film noir mystery thriller about a group of people who become superheroes, are then used by the US government to fight its enemies and are later discarded by the US government. One of the group was murdered and the others startI never read the graphic novel, but I've seen the film several times now and I can hardly get enough of it. For those of you unaware of the plot, it is a compelling film noir mystery thriller about a group of people who become superheroes, are then used by the US government to fight its enemies and are later discarded by the US government. One of the group was murdered and the others start investigating we he had to die.

Interesting about the back story is that both the socio-political climate and characters are well-developed and realistic. The use of superheroes by the US allowed the Sovjetunion and US to become more polarized than in our reality, making the US government far more conservative and bringing the world very close to nuclear holocaust. The superheroes all have their own unique character traits, each based on real and flawed human beings like I've met in my own life. What's most interesting about the plot of Watchmen is the way these different personalities interact with one another and how they set themselves apart from the rest of humanity.

What sets this film apart from other films, however, is an audiovisual style few people besides Zack Snyder could actually pull off. The visuals are simply breathtaking throughout the entire film and the audio adds to the atmosphere the way only a few other films can. Watching the film, I feel immersed in a surreal dream and the first time I sat glued to my chair for the entire duration because of the sheer beauty of the visuals, the interesting plot and the fascinating characters.

Maybe the graphic novel was even more compelling as the film plot-wise, I don't think anyone could have done a better job making a film based on the graphic novel. Please remember that graphic novel and film are two different media and you'll never be able to tell the entire story of a multiple edition graphic novel into a single film, however you'll also never be able to control the pacing, acting and soundtrack of a graphic novel. It is my opinion that those who didn't like this film either ignore the differences between the two different media and are frustrated by the film straying from the graphic novel more often than they would like or simply didn't get the story and lost interest due to their confusion. After seeing this film several time, I can't really find anything not to like about this film.
  31. Jul 5, 2015
    The director of 300 recreates the dark and gritty DC Comic from the 1980's in a way that somewhat hard to understand but very watchable. Watchmen is great with action sequences and an Ok story, and most of the cast over did the roles except for Jackie Earl Hallie who played as Rorschach gave the performance of his career. All the costumes were spot on from the comic book which made meThe director of 300 recreates the dark and gritty DC Comic from the 1980's in a way that somewhat hard to understand but very watchable. Watchmen is great with action sequences and an Ok story, and most of the cast over did the roles except for Jackie Earl Hallie who played as Rorschach gave the performance of his career. All the costumes were spot on from the comic book which made me happy that they at least got something perfect and so close to perfection, and the film's long running times made thing a little more difficult as the Ultimate Cut of the film reaches 4 Hours, but despite of all of the mistakes, it is a worthy comic book adaptation worth watching. Expand
  32. Sep 28, 2011
    Thought it was... ok. Definitely not a huge crowd pleaser like The Dark Knight. No real thrills or shocking payoffs. But this is coming from a guy who's read the book about 15 or 20 times, so maybe a newcomer to the story would beg to differ. But uh... just flat in a lot of areas where the book didn't translate well to the screen. What worked on the page was brought to the screen by ZachThought it was... ok. Definitely not a huge crowd pleaser like The Dark Knight. No real thrills or shocking payoffs. But this is coming from a guy who's read the book about 15 or 20 times, so maybe a newcomer to the story would beg to differ. But uh... just flat in a lot of areas where the book didn't translate well to the screen. What worked on the page was brought to the screen by Zach Snyder as best as anyone could've mustered, but it wasn't really brought to life in a meaningful, emotional way. The violence was fine for the few fight scenes where it was actually present, but that just made them stand out as peculiar, when 90% of the movie is about... talking. Sometimes talking with bad aged makeup.

That rape scene hit me hard. Geez. I knew it was coming, I'd read it plenty of times on the page, but the way it was filmed was just... awful, and you could feel the audience dying inside. Though that was one thing I was surprised about, the audience. I dunno if it was because I went to an 11:50 pm showing or what, but nobody at my screening laughed aloud at Dr. Manhattan's blue dong like so many other reviews have been describing. They were just... pretty much silent throughout. The biggest reaction was when Rorschach spilled the oil on the convict and yelled "I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." Of course they would, it was a great line.

Yea, that Dr. Manhattan... I gotta say, he ended up falling short of my expectations. Not Crudup's voice, that was fine. But the entire CGI entity just... did not look right to me. Maybe it IS the uncanny valley, but I just thought he looked unreal, inhuman, and somewhat of a failure as a visual effect. Perhaps part of that was because he had no pupils. I just checked and he doesn't have any in the graphic novel either, but... perhaps in this case it would've been better to diverge from the source material.

Like I said before... Snyder did as good a job as anyone could've in bringing this book to the movie screen. And yet... I did miss all the material that was cut out. The stuff with the two Bernies, the Psychiatrist's marital problems, Hollis getting pumpkin'd... there was a feeling of loss throughout watching the film. So I dunno how any person who hasn't read the book will react to the movie.

The ending change? Yea, fine. It works logically. About as well as the original ending I suppose. Though the visceral impact of seeing six full pages of dead corpses in New York was completely missing here. Sorry dude, but showing us a giant blue CGI explosion just doesn't carry the same impact. We needed to feel those millions of dead. I did like the Rorschach pattern in the snow though, that was something new and worked pretty well.

Oh yea, one last thing... good god Zach, what were you thinking with that Hallelujah sex scene? Dude, I like porn and I like superheroes, but that scene... I could not have rolled my eyes any further. It was cringeworthy. And no, it was not as bad as the sex scene in 300, because I was perfectly fine with that sex scene. It was short, perfunctory, and did not have an incredibly odd soundtrack. In this case, less would've been more. The scene in the book was only 2 panels, that was about right. Mostly it was the song though... that Hallelujah song will never be the same to me again.

But I did really like the intro credits with Bob Dylan.

Again, thought it was ok. But no, not the greatest comic book movie ever. It's a mostly faithful retelling of the book in 2 and a half hours that, in my opinion, will completely fly over the heads of the mainstream audience. Let's say 3 and a half stars, and I'm being generous.
  33. Jun 3, 2016
    I came into it with my expectations too high. I thought there would be a big twist, like Rorschach turning out to be the killer or the whole thing literally being a joke. It's also too long and 2 much backstory. But everything else is pretty good.
  34. Aug 1, 2011
    I hated, absolutely hated this graphic novel. I remember a member of the youth group I was helping out with, told me to read it because it was the best comic he ever readâ
  35. Jan 13, 2011
    Highly enjoyable movie, yes it is overlong (especially the directors cut) but it is visually astounding. Imagine 300 as a superhero movie (They do have the same director) I was very entertained while watching it
  36. Jun 22, 2011
    Avoid the director's cuts and Watchmen is among the four or five best superhero movies made as of 2011. Demote Spider-Man 2 and it might be the best of the bunch. In fact, let's go a step farther. Watchmen isn't just a classic superhero movie. It's a classic film.
  37. Dec 30, 2012
    Good storyline and some acting. One of the better comic book movies Ive seen probably because they got a decent writer and actors. All the 'sexuality' wasnt necessary especially Dr. Manhattans penis. Also a bit too much blood and violence. Definitely not a comic book movie for kids.
  38. Feb 22, 2016
    Zack Synder basically took the comic book,removed the filler and dumb sh*t and placed the remains (one of best comic books of all time) into a movie. You can't go wrong with this movie unless you didn't like the comic.
  39. Jun 23, 2012
    I'd like to say that I never read the graphic novels but I got to say that this movie was incredible now some complain that it was boring but i guess people hate movie's with a great story it did a great Job fleshing out each characters story except night owl which was the only character I didn't like his acting was terrible. The comedian was an interesting character since he believedI'd like to say that I never read the graphic novels but I got to say that this movie was incredible now some complain that it was boring but i guess people hate movie's with a great story it did a great Job fleshing out each characters story except night owl which was the only character I didn't like his acting was terrible. The comedian was an interesting character since he believed that we're all destined to kill each other but doubts or maybe even believes we can change which is why he was killed.to my surprise most reviewers said it was to gory but come on ppl its rated r for a reason besides this isn't Batman r Spiderman where those movies are gore free..also people said hey only one Guy had powers...that's not true it was it was two lil ozmandias was extremely quick,strong & could Dodge/catch bullets & roshack was awesome all in all this movie gave me what I wanted 9 out of ten would've been a ten but Mr.Manhattan was naked lol Expand
  40. Dec 16, 2012
    You can forgive it's misses because the things it gets right, notably a perfectly cast Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach and a confident and rich visual style cover up the movies' understandable need to cram as much of the book possible into a 2 1/2 hour movie making it a stuffy but occasionally exhilarating experience.
  41. Jun 8, 2014
    Firstly, I want to say that as a standalone film, Watchmen is more than adequate. However, as an adaptation of the best graphic novel of all time, it doesn't meet the standards set by it's paper-back sibling.
    Watchmen is one of those rare anomalies that, despite it's amazing story, characters and setting, could never work as a film. The sharp, juxtaposition of panels and storylines in the comic is something so stylized and unique that it could only succeed in a written medium. As a film, it loses its punch. The pacing doesn't always feel right and, for me, the characters were always more interesting when I read the comics and shaped their voice and movement myself rather than an actor portraying them.
    My advice: read the comic, you'll love it. If you're desperate, check out this film. However, I feel that as the comic works so well on its own, the film does nothing to interest me further than what I already loved about the grand universe of Watchmen.
  42. Apr 28, 2015
    n the mid-’80s, writer Alan Moore began to imagine a world in which the superheroes and costumed crime-fighters he’d grown up reading helped shape the Cold War decades that had repeatedly brought humanity to the brink of extinction. It wasn’t a better world. Behind their masks and glowing eyes, the heroes Moore conceived and created with artist Dave Gibbons were hindered, and occasionallyn the mid-’80s, writer Alan Moore began to imagine a world in which the superheroes and costumed crime-fighters he’d grown up reading helped shape the Cold War decades that had repeatedly brought humanity to the brink of extinction. It wasn’t a better world. Behind their masks and glowing eyes, the heroes Moore conceived and created with artist Dave Gibbons were hindered, and occasionally crippled, by the same conflicting impulses, childhood traumas, and redirected neuroses that drive everyone else. Moore and Gibbons’ graphic novel Watchmen helped redefine the types of stories superheroes could be used to tell, not just by freighting them with darkness—too many subsequent creators showed how easy that could be—but by weaving their capes and gadgets into a dense, deep narrative: a detective story played out against the apocalypse in a world so thoroughly realized that Charles Dickens would be jealous.

43. Mar 30, 2014
    Very faithful to the source material, and it works well. I do prefer the cuts without "The Black Freighter"; The Ultimate Cut suffers from those awkward cheap-looking animated insertions and just doesn't flow too well. A strong, serious, and adult superhero chronicle that sets itself apart from others in more ways than one. Zack Snyder really did a respectful job in bringing the graphicVery faithful to the source material, and it works well. I do prefer the cuts without "The Black Freighter"; The Ultimate Cut suffers from those awkward cheap-looking animated insertions and just doesn't flow too well. A strong, serious, and adult superhero chronicle that sets itself apart from others in more ways than one. Zack Snyder really did a respectful job in bringing the graphic novel to life. Expand
  44. Sep 30, 2011
    I'm going to sum this up in two words: The best. By that, I mean this is the best superhero movie I have ever seen ( compared to the Spider man movies, which were very bad). Watchmen isn't just superhero movie, it is THE superhero movie.
  45. Mar 30, 2011
    Watchmen is a good film with a good story and acting at times. The film is a bet lengthy but it is a exceptional film when it comes to plot and diologue. Rorschack is my favorite character from Watchmen. I think Watchmen is Zack Snyder's best film.
  46. Mar 17, 2011
    A fantastic film. The story, the setting, the characters, everything works perfectly to create this dark alternate reality. Zach Snyder has done it again, creating another beautiful world for another great film.
  47. Nov 6, 2012
    Watchmen is one of the best superhero movies. Its dark gritty story is interesting, and while many fans of the book may be disappointed, I sure wasn't. Definitely worth watching.
  48. May 1, 2015
    A great film. A much more "depressing" film in a way, depicting the fall of a bunch of Superheroes from their hey-day, and strikes elements that could be of a very psychological nature as well.

What would such people be like or have turned out like if they had been such people indeed? The bads and goods among them. The reality to them being human as well, emotions, and what not. The

The despair of trying to save a broken world perhaps also makes it even more depressing. This is generally the tone the film goes for and it does it well.

Add more philosophical questions and plot-themes and some small twists, and feels great to watch this film, especially when alone. It has some funny looking visuals at some points, depicted after the comics of-course, and does has that film noir feel to it running at a great pace, with enough mystery sprinkled here and there that a true superhero film-goer should appreciate for the simple fact alone that it is a completely different take to your average superhero film.

Simply a great addition to a shelf of films.
  49. Jun 8, 2014
    A great film with a great plot and great characters, Watchmen is possibly Zack Snyder's best film to date. Snyder not only accomplish the task of making a Watchmen film, something Terry Gilliam(Brazil, Time Bandits) failed at, but also made it a masterpiece. With it's dark and gritty tone, there are dark and gritty characters, whom are all well-written and very in depth (The Comedian beingA great film with a great plot and great characters, Watchmen is possibly Zack Snyder's best film to date. Snyder not only accomplish the task of making a Watchmen film, something Terry Gilliam(Brazil, Time Bandits) failed at, but also made it a masterpiece. With it's dark and gritty tone, there are dark and gritty characters, whom are all well-written and very in depth (The Comedian being the deepest in my opinion). If you get the chance of watching this, by all means don't hesitate to do so. Expand
  50. Jun 29, 2014
    A movie that made me think and say "That maybe some superhero movies are not for kids". It is a dark movie not for kids. The MA 15+ (R in USA) shows I wouldn't be fazed if it was R 18+ (NC 17 in USA). Ok back to the review if you are fan of the comic you will be disappointed I read the book a week before I saw the movie on blu ray. The story is fanatic very close to the comic only 1 or 2A movie that made me think and say "That maybe some superhero movies are not for kids". It is a dark movie not for kids. The MA 15+ (R in USA) shows I wouldn't be fazed if it was R 18+ (NC 17 in USA). Ok back to the review if you are fan of the comic you will be disappointed I read the book a week before I saw the movie on blu ray. The story is fanatic very close to the comic only 1 or 2 bits that won't in the comic. The movie has heavy themes to the point you see some nearly getting raped. The movie is not the bad and it has made it on my favourite movies of all time at number 4 but it is worth a look at. Expand
  51. Feb 13, 2014
    El mejor trabajo de Zack Snyder, impresionante, muy fiel al comic, lleno de detalles, espectacularidad epica para dar de tomar, es estilo zack snyder es genial, su tonalidad catapulta al genero superheroes infantil/juvenil. Simplemente genial.
  52. Jun 13, 2016
    This is the definition of a perfect adaptation. This has great acting, great cinematography, and doesn't hold back on the R rating witch you need with this story. Any person who loves comics, dark stories, or Alan Moore NEEDS to watch this movie. This movie would make even Alan Moore proud (even though it doesn't).
  53. Jan 20, 2016
    Being an amazing movie,the agregate of the movie in metacritic lefted us a big HURM in our faces.it stays true to the graphic novel.and just like the novel,the story is great
  54. Oct 8, 2015
    Perhaps one of the very few 'cerebral' comic book / graphic novels ever filmed ... a great film ... I do not think this movie is for everyone though ... as it contains much more than your usual simplistic comic-book slam-bang action ... I think it does have its problems in its adaptation from the novel (most films do) but I think this can be forgiven as it stands apart when compared toPerhaps one of the very few 'cerebral' comic book / graphic novels ever filmed ... a great film ... I do not think this movie is for everyone though ... as it contains much more than your usual simplistic comic-book slam-bang action ... I think it does have its problems in its adaptation from the novel (most films do) but I think this can be forgiven as it stands apart when compared to most of the superhero genre movies. Expand
  55. Aug 5, 2011
    Movies are not meant to be judged based on other movies. There's no rule book, because it's simply different every time. In this instance, this movie should be based only by the novel to which it's based on. For that, I give this movie a 10. Having read the novel, this movie gave me the same emotional message as the novel did, in an astonishing way that surpassed my expectations. ThisMovies are not meant to be judged based on other movies. There's no rule book, because it's simply different every time. In this instance, this movie should be based only by the novel to which it's based on. For that, I give this movie a 10. Having read the novel, this movie gave me the same emotional message as the novel did, in an astonishing way that surpassed my expectations. This movie gets me every time, as I hope it did for the other readers of the novel(which I highly recommend you pick up after reading this if you've never read it). Watchmen intrudes past most of our modern day movies, giving a dramatic look at what our species is capable of, both the good and the bad. Expand
  56. Aug 6, 2013
    Though it overstays its welcome slightly, at more than 2 1/2 hours long, the film hits a bulls-eye with what it tries to achieve: a superhero movie with a dark and mature atmosphere.
  57. Jul 4, 2014
    Watchmen is not only the best comic-book adaptation I have ever seen, it is easily one of the most inventive, intelligent movies ever. The story is always surprising, and there are some very funny scenes. Not something to show to kids, though. It's darker (way darker) than the Dark Knight, and contains scenes of extremely graphic and/or psychological violence that are always justified.Watchmen is not only the best comic-book adaptation I have ever seen, it is easily one of the most inventive, intelligent movies ever. The story is always surprising, and there are some very funny scenes. Not something to show to kids, though. It's darker (way darker) than the Dark Knight, and contains scenes of extremely graphic and/or psychological violence that are always justified. Don't expect comforting characters and a happy end either. The characters are almost all **** (and all actors are perfect in their roles, even though none of them are really famous) and the ending... well, it's just so clever and unexpected, without coming from nowhere. And also: The soundtrack is perfect. Expand
  58. Sep 26, 2015
    Amazin acting, amazing story, amazing characters. Amazing movie!
    This was honestly such a great movie! I did not even notice, that the movie was 3 hours long. The fight scenes are amazing and the characters badass as hell! Love this movie!
  59. Sep 12, 2010
    If the last 40 minutes were like the first 2 hours this would have been one of the best films o last year and probobaly as good as the Dark Knight BUT the last 40 minutes were rushed and a terrible way to end a good film
  60. Jun 28, 2013
    A stylish take on the graphic novel that manages to be both a faithful and plausible adaption. The mood was perfect for the story, and all the characters managed to be as deep as they were in the source material.
  61. May 31, 2013
    This is a veary good movie the actors are great and the movie it selfe is great.This is the best movie based on a comic book.I owned the original comic book and i watched the movietoo so i ca say the two of the are great and i will give the movie an 9 because its a good movie and it will be eaven better if you read the comic to know what is going on.
  62. Nov 3, 2015
    Amazing movie. Scott Snyder did an amazing job to adapt Alan Moore's Masterpiece and brought us a better ending. In my opinion, it is by far the best hero movie.
  63. Sep 28, 2012
    Perfect interpretation of the comic book. Perfectly directed. The casting for this movie was perfect, If you didn't read the comic you still getl simular enjoyment form the movie. Yet the comic goes into to deatil more and I think they left a few critical moments out. Otherwise a very, very highly underrated movie.
  64. Apr 15, 2016
    Seeing 56 at critic average makes my head explode. I watched only Ultimate cut and I have to say that it was perfect. I am unsure if I am supposed to call this superheroe movie as there are no superheroes with special abilities, aside of one who is certainly not a heroe, but lets say in that ganra this remains a king. Story, setting, characters, acting, all done greatly and paying someSeeing 56 at critic average makes my head explode. I watched only Ultimate cut and I have to say that it was perfect. I am unsure if I am supposed to call this superheroe movie as there are no superheroes with special abilities, aside of one who is certainly not a heroe, but lets say in that ganra this remains a king. Story, setting, characters, acting, all done greatly and paying some serious respect to the source. Expand
  65. ChadS.
    Mar 7, 2009
    Pants, stat! The glowing blue man with the transluscent appendage needs a pair of pants, like the lemur from "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa" needs pants. Adrian(Matthew Goode) probably doesn't mind that the homoeroticism of "300" escaped its reels and found a new home, in which Dr. Manhattan's nudism probably throws the other Watchmen into a homosexual panic. Quite pointedly, Pants, stat! The glowing blue man with the transluscent appendage needs a pair of pants, like the lemur from "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa" needs pants. Adrian(Matthew Goode) probably doesn't mind that the homoeroticism of "300" escaped its reels and found a new home, in which Dr. Manhattan's nudism probably throws the other Watchmen into a homosexual panic. Quite pointedly, Adrian seems to know Dr. Manhattan(Billy Crudup) better than Laurie(Malin Akerman). While the girlfriend claims that the ultramarine entity is devoid of any compassion towards mankind, Adrian's alter-ego, Ozymanidas, notices the worry creases in the former Jon Osterman's face whenever he's vexed. The Alexander-wannabe watches men, closely. But Laurie should be one to talk, the daring rescue of some people trapped in a burning high-rise that she and Dan a.k.a. Night Owl(Patrick Wilson) attend to, seems more about correcting her new beau's impotence and gettin' their middle-aged ya-yas out, than being selfless and valiant in a derring-do mission in the night air of this alternative New York. It's mere foreplay: the superhero suits they run around in are nothing more than provocative get-ups to get them in the mood. There's something faintly "Seinfeld"-esque about Night Owl and Silk Spectre, and "Watchmen", in general. Like the characters in the Larry David-created sitcom, these superheroes are more interested in saving their own skins- Rorschach(James Earl Haley) warns the other Watchmen about an assassination plot- than saving the skins of others. How apropos that there's a Comedian(Jeffrey Dean Morgan) present. During the interim years of Allan Moore and David Gibbons' breakthrough graphic novel being stuck in developmental hell, Terry Zwigoff's adaptation of Daniel Clowes' "Ghost World" had already lured a portion of the literati into accepting the long-form comic book as a viable art form. "Watchmen" won't convert the holdover naysayers(who pooh-pooh the thought of the comic book as literature, although Allison Bechdel's "Fun Home" and Adrian Tomine's "Shortcomings" are changing more minds), which is a crying shame, since in most fanboy circles, this is the standard-bearer. While it falls short on vision, "Watchmen", more or less, holds your interest for over two hours-plus, and that's no small feat. But still, the bloated thing lacks true transcendence(for instance, the Saul Bellow army won't lay down their dog-eared copies of "The Adventures of Augie March" for this); it's just a comic book movie, albeit a reasonably smart one(not smarter than "Ironman"). And it bears repeating: pants, stat! Expand
  66. KerryL.
    Mar 7, 2009
    This is the best movie based on a comic book/graphic novel I have ever seen. The acting is spectacular, and every detail that had to be included is, without feeling watered down. The movie transitions between past and present well, not causing confusion about what is taking place.
  67. TimH.
    Mar 10, 2009
    Interesting CGI; terrible prosthetics. That having been said, devotees of the comic will applaud the meticulous duplication in script and cinematography, smile at the costumes and casting choices, and cringe at the ending. Newcomers to the franchise will merely scratch their heads. Your girlfriend will probably fall asleep. Watchmen suffocates under the weight of its own fidelity, Interesting CGI; terrible prosthetics. That having been said, devotees of the comic will applaud the meticulous duplication in script and cinematography, smile at the costumes and casting choices, and cringe at the ending. Newcomers to the franchise will merely scratch their heads. Your girlfriend will probably fall asleep. Watchmen suffocates under the weight of its own fidelity, choosing safety over audacity in an attempt to lull basement-dwellers into shelling out cash for an overblown directors-cut Blu Ray of a film that should have stayed unmade. This adaptation suffers the fate of any facsimile of greatness: the failure to exceed its own predecessor, instead basking rigidly in its roomy shadow. This movie is brilliance decaffeinated. Read the comic and rent Dark Knight instead. Expand
  68. JustinF
    Mar 10, 2009
    Good movie. Had some really great parts in it but had some parts that seemed like they didn't belong as well. Didn't pull you into the story and make you feel what was going on. Really enjoyed the Dr. Manhattan backstory narrative though. I wouldn't put it anywhere near the far superior TDK though.
  69. BrandonB.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Great movie i really loved the comic book and i think that they did a wonderful job making it into a movie. would i go see it again? yes it was like the dark knight all over again i liked it that much. it did have its problems but it was still a masterful movie
  70. KarlK.
    Mar 6, 2009
    The best super hero movie ever made, and one of the best films ever made. Each character is distinct, all of their own unique perspective on the human condition, and all are terrible and terrific, just like us.
  71. MichaelR.
    Mar 6, 2009
    I absolutely loved this movie! Best superhero movie so far to be made, in my opinion. The special effects were amazing!
  72. RaymondG.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Loved it. Ignore Mainstream critics, unless you consider yourself mainstream, aka average and uninteresting. Movie is for those that don't grovel at Madagascar and Benjamin Button.
  73. JoshD.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Saw the midnight release and thought it was awesome! Great directing, acting, writing, and soundtrack. If you have read the comic go see it and if your new to watchmen then I think you'll find this to be a great movie on it's own merit.
  74. JohnS.
    Mar 7, 2009
    Snyder has done the impossible.
  75. DavidW.
    Mar 9, 2009
    An outstanding achievement. Zach Snyder may not be an original, but he understands what makes his source material great and brings it brilliantly to life on the big screen. The film is wonderfully cast, especially Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach.
  76. PariahM.
    Apr 5, 2009
    I never read the book, but I really enjoyed this movie. It was visually stunning and the characters were very well developed. It was nice to have superheroes who's motivations fall into a sort of a moral gray area.
  77. MatthewD.
    Aug 3, 2009
    Pretty good, except for the fighting scenes, which were way below par.
  78. lxlxlxllxlxlxl
    Jan 30, 2010
    Anyone that gives the movie a 0 needs to be ignored. This was an astoundingly good piece of filmmaking and this is coming from someone who absolutely love's Alan Moore and was so cynical about Hollywood adaptations of his work that I avoided watching this until tonight. I vaguely remembered some of the some of the New Yorker, Village Voice, and NYTimes bashing of the film, and since Anyone that gives the movie a 0 needs to be ignored. This was an astoundingly good piece of filmmaking and this is coming from someone who absolutely love's Alan Moore and was so cynical about Hollywood adaptations of his work that I avoided watching this until tonight. I vaguely remembered some of the some of the New Yorker, Village Voice, and NYTimes bashing of the film, and since I have a lot of respect for those critics (scott, hoberman, etc.) I avoided the movie. What a mistake. The movie is genuinely gorgeous at times, and the cynicism and projection that was at the heart of the original story are so well preserved. Only the dullest Axe Spray huffing idiot would think the movie is not worth seeing. Please watch and enjoy. Expand
  79. JamieL
    Mar 10, 2009
    I can appreciate the generally mixed critic reviews, but happen to side with those who liked the film immensely. For the record, I did not read the graphic novel, and I think I understood enough from the film in one viewing not to need to read it. Had I read it, I would've been too busy nitpicking about what was changed or missing to actually enjoy the film (I also saw the first I can appreciate the generally mixed critic reviews, but happen to side with those who liked the film immensely. For the record, I did not read the graphic novel, and I think I understood enough from the film in one viewing not to need to read it. Had I read it, I would've been too busy nitpicking about what was changed or missing to actually enjoy the film (I also saw the first Harry Potter film before reading the books, and enjoyed the film a lot more as a result.) So in this case, ignorance is bliss. This was a long movie, but I didn't leave my seat, because every moment was exciting. I also found it was more entertaining and less plodding than "The Dark Knight," a film many are comparing it too. In some regards, "Knight" even feels blander in my memory, although I loved it. But perhaps that's why Dark Knight was so much less polarizing. It wasn't as risky. Expand
  80. TaylorC
    Mar 11, 2009
    As a person that did not read the graphic novel before watching this movie, I had no idea what to expect. I read up on the the story and was quite hyped for the movie. Well, my expectations were blown away. This movie is epic and is one of my favorite superhero movies ever. The story apparently translates really well to a movie and I feel that I could understand all the plot elements that As a person that did not read the graphic novel before watching this movie, I had no idea what to expect. I read up on the the story and was quite hyped for the movie. Well, my expectations were blown away. This movie is epic and is one of my favorite superhero movies ever. The story apparently translates really well to a movie and I feel that I could understand all the plot elements that many like me that hadn't read the novel could not understand. If you have not read the book, I suggest that you at least read up a little about the characters to understand the deep stories behind them. The characters are what tmakes the movie shine. Most of the characters are well acted, most of all by Jackie Earle Haley as Rorshach. He was incredible and played one of the most impressive roles I've seen in years. The violence is quite over-the-top and is pretty awesome if you like that kind of stuff. This movie is definitely not for children; along with the obscene amounts of violence there is also a lot of nudity and some language as well. The script is well written and Zack Snyder does a great job of directing everything. Everything fits in well. The movie is pretty long at 2 hours and 43 minutes, but it is well worth the ticket price and I highly suggest. If you consider yourself a nerd or a fan of superhero movies at all, this is a must-see. Expand
  81. Matt
    Mar 10, 2009
    I couldn't get the hype behind Snyder's "300" even after seeing it a few times, but this, I understand. "Watchmen" is the glossiest form of grit you could ever imagine; think "Taxi Driver" and "The Warriors" with the sensibilities of Stanley Kubrick. It isn't a masterpiece, but it's absolutely in the same league of "The Dark Knight" as far as truly great, gritty I couldn't get the hype behind Snyder's "300" even after seeing it a few times, but this, I understand. "Watchmen" is the glossiest form of grit you could ever imagine; think "Taxi Driver" and "The Warriors" with the sensibilities of Stanley Kubrick. It isn't a masterpiece, but it's absolutely in the same league of "The Dark Knight" as far as truly great, gritty popcorn entertainment. Expand
  82. Turner
    Mar 10, 2009
    Just watched this for the second time, and enjoyed it vastly more the 2nd time. It's so true to the spirit of the graphic novel, it's a totally immersive experience. I really liked it the first viewing, but really loved it the second. Can't wait for the blu-ray with all the additional scenes!
  83. CameronS
    Mar 10, 2009
    It was almost like the novel and i get that nowadays american public cannot sit or like a movie that makes you think that is what the american cinema once was in its hayday.
  84. richardg
    Mar 14, 2009
    Glad to see this movie. It was awesome. It should please the fans of the comic. To me the movie matched exactly the comic. I can understand the hate, this ideas in this story are a bit complicated but the movie kept its form compared to the comic. The movie itself is a historic and visual restoration of the comic. For that am greatly thankful. That's all i wanted and i got it. Glad to see this movie. It was awesome. It should please the fans of the comic. To me the movie matched exactly the comic. I can understand the hate, this ideas in this story are a bit complicated but the movie kept its form compared to the comic. The movie itself is a historic and visual restoration of the comic. For that am greatly thankful. That's all i wanted and i got it. I'm glad it was done this way. I didn't want watchmen story to change. It was the best! Expand
  85. PierceF
    Mar 10, 2009
    I had never heard of watchmen until the trailer appeared on xbox live, I was glad i saw the film! It was very enjoyable if a little graphic and you did not need to know any background info to find the film enjoyable at all!
  86. BenM
    Mar 15, 2009
    I thought this movie was truly great in nearly every respect. The acting was good, the plot was (obviously) comic book-esque, but still good. The acting clicked very well, and overall the movie feels like an adult super-hero epic. For not having experienced the graphic novel, I'm stunned, and very impressed with what Zack Snyder's done. It made me run out and buy the graphic I thought this movie was truly great in nearly every respect. The acting was good, the plot was (obviously) comic book-esque, but still good. The acting clicked very well, and overall the movie feels like an adult super-hero epic. For not having experienced the graphic novel, I'm stunned, and very impressed with what Zack Snyder's done. It made me run out and buy the graphic novel the next day, and that's truly a testament to its power. Expand
  87. gernick
    Mar 19, 2009
    The movie never feels overlong (quite an achievement at 2.44 hrs) and the acting is great. Seeing the movie after seeing it panned in so many reviews I was pleasantly surprised. I can absolutely recommend this film to anyone, comic geek or not.
  88. KevinM.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Amazing! The closest adaptation to any graphic novel so far!
  89. Will
    Mar 6, 2009
    read "Watchmen" 7 days ago - that was great! just watched the film and i was blown away Great Film - Great Sound Track
  90. AlexB.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Action sequences were perfectly shot, excellent casting, great direction, the acting really made you feel the hopelessness and despair of their world. Loved the book, loved the movie, enough said.
  91. ZachV.
    Mar 6, 2009
    It has its problems, but the Manhattan sequence scored by recycled Philip Glass pieces is cinematic perfection. Not as good, but it will last longer than The Dark Knight simply because of the material.
  92. ThomasC.
    Mar 6, 2009
    It seems that everyone that panned this epic film forgot one thing...That it is not the graphic novel. And for someone who has not read the story since it was originally released I found the film disturbingly relevant and sublime in its dedication to the source. For under three hours I was transfixed by the beauty of the images and the violence of the story. A superb re-telling of a It seems that everyone that panned this epic film forgot one thing...That it is not the graphic novel. And for someone who has not read the story since it was originally released I found the film disturbingly relevant and sublime in its dedication to the source. For under three hours I was transfixed by the beauty of the images and the violence of the story. A superb re-telling of a classic tale that unfortunately will not be appreciated. Its hypocritical that critics of the film have charged it with being to literal a translation when thier very reviews seem steeped in the lore of the graphic novel itself. Expand
  93. BretG.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Saw it as a sneak peek early screening. Was blown away by how faithful many of the scenes were transferred from the graphic novel, a huge fan service. The altered ending was not surprising, but not a total loss either. For die hard fans, this is a must see. For people not familiar with the book, they may be less inclined to do so or care to understand the story. Overall, it's a Saw it as a sneak peek early screening. Was blown away by how faithful many of the scenes were transferred from the graphic novel, a huge fan service. The altered ending was not surprising, but not a total loss either. For die hard fans, this is a must see. For people not familiar with the book, they may be less inclined to do so or care to understand the story. Overall, it's a beautiful story full of vengeance, carnage, and mystery that compels the viewer to want more. But don't bring your kids. Expand
  94. DaveR.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Near perfect adaptation of the source, superb casting, the ending has been changed slightly to good effect. didn't pull any punches - very enjoyable.
  95. NateR.
    Mar 6, 2009
    It was extremely faithful to the book and was wonderfully well done. However, at times it was extremely cheesy at times (the sex scene)
  96. Bret
    Mar 6, 2009
    Everything the book was, with a better ending. Superb movie!
  97. JamesB.
    Mar 6, 2009
    I just saw the midnight viewing. This may already tip you off that I liked the graphic novel. If you also are a fanboy, you will love this movie. Hands down. I wish I could give it a different score for people who hadn't seen it. We brought along a friend who knew nothing about Watchmen except that it had a giant blue guy in it, and he loved it, too. Didn't understand it as I just saw the midnight viewing. This may already tip you off that I liked the graphic novel. If you also are a fanboy, you will love this movie. Hands down. I wish I could give it a different score for people who hadn't seen it. We brought along a friend who knew nothing about Watchmen except that it had a giant blue guy in it, and he loved it, too. Didn't understand it as much, though, so he said he'd give it an 8. Expand
  98. DavidB.
    Mar 6, 2009
    As a fan of Watchmen, this movie was great, like watching the graphic novel. Those negative reviews out there are absolutely ridiculous. Sure, I had high expectations, I did with the Lord of the Rings too, but I wasn't disappointed then and I haven't been now. What Peter Jackson did for fantasy, Zack Snyder has done for the graphic novel. He is a genius and this masterpiece As a fan of Watchmen, this movie was great, like watching the graphic novel. Those negative reviews out there are absolutely ridiculous. Sure, I had high expectations, I did with the Lord of the Rings too, but I wasn't disappointed then and I haven't been now. What Peter Jackson did for fantasy, Zack Snyder has done for the graphic novel. He is a genius and this masterpiece shows it. It's gritty and epic, not missing out on the depth behind everything. But don't just take my word for it, sure Watchmen is not for everyone, it's a little more graphic than I expected, but it fit the setting. If you're up for a thrill ride, give Watchmen a shot. Expand
  99. JustinH.
    Mar 6, 2009
    One of the most well paced, perfectly acted and socially relevant movies I have ever seen
  100. PeterS.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Amazing movie followed the novel closely was not disappointing at all.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Okay, it isn't the graphic novel, but Zack Snyder clearly gives a toss, creating a smart, stylish, decent adaptation, if low on accessibility for the non-convert.
  2. Snyder and writers David Hayter and Alex Tse never find a reason for those unfamiliar with the graphic novel to care about any of this nonsense. And it is nonsense.
  3. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    The movie is ultimately undone by its own reverence; there's simply no room for these characters and stories to breathe of their own accord, and even the most fastidiously replicated scenes can feel glib and truncated.