5.8

1. Oct 2, 2013
    One of the best horror/thriller movies I've seen in the last couple of years. I love the Hawthornian Lovecrafting setting and mood. Michael Parks (Jean Renault from "Twin Peaks") is one of my favorite actors, and he delivers an outstanding performance here as the local village ME/doctor. The script is terrific it pulls you in without throwing in the standard horror shocks and scares.One of the best horror/thriller movies I've seen in the last couple of years. I love the Hawthornian Lovecrafting setting and mood. Michael Parks (Jean Renault from "Twin Peaks") is one of my favorite actors, and he delivers an outstanding performance here as the local village ME/doctor. The script is terrific it pulls you in without throwing in the standard horror shocks and scares. And it absolutely saves its best for last, so stick it out! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Sobczynski
    Sep 9, 2014
    Intelligently conceived, beautifully executed and filled with surprisingly convincing performances all around... We Are What We Are is that rare horror film that could play at both arthouse and grindhouse theaters without seemingly out of place at either one.
  2. Reviewed by: Nigel Floyd
    Feb 25, 2014
    Against all the odds, Stake Land director Jim Mickle has cooked up a controlled, affecting ‘companion piece’ that honours the Mexican original while deepening its themes.
  3. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Feb 24, 2014
    A crunching, visceral transplant for this cannibal tale from its urban Mexican setting to an American milieu.