7.3

1. Jan 1, 2011
    Good cast but weak and dull storyline ,felt like a terrible waste of talent and effort to make such a pointless movie.Wish I hadn't wasted my time watching it.
  2. CatherineP.
    Jul 1, 2005
    Thoroughly entertaining film. Excellent acting and script. I loved the photography and the moody soundtrack. The characters were well drawn and believable.
  3. ZebobMojo
    Dec 13, 2004
    A decent story but like all the reviews say, the actors are good but the writing is weak. The dialogue sounds like a writer's idea of dialogue. Motivations are never fully explained and in fact one wonders why any woman would marry the two outrageous jerks in this film.
  4. MarcK.
    Oct 13, 2004
    Had it's interesting moments, but nothing special. It's also very hard when all the characters are unlikeable, although Dern is probably the least unlikeable.
  5. NikiM
    Sep 10, 2004
    I'm not sure if I loved it or hated it, but I can honestly say I'm thoroughly depressed after seeing this movie.
  6. MikeM
    Sep 9, 2004
    Good movie. Like real people, motivations are sometimes subtle but understood if you really listen. Ruffalo is a frustrated "reader not a writer." Watts is a spoiled rich girl, used to getting not taking. Might Dern be manic depressive? Great acting by all, but Dern and possibly Krause are too old. These people are 30, not 40. Great job on casting the kids; totally believable that Ruffalo Good movie. Like real people, motivations are sometimes subtle but understood if you really listen. Ruffalo is a frustrated "reader not a writer." Watts is a spoiled rich girl, used to getting not taking. Might Dern be manic depressive? Great acting by all, but Dern and possibly Krause are too old. These people are 30, not 40. Great job on casting the kids; totally believable that Ruffalo would stay in the marriage in large part for his children. What a great, old-fashioned theme for a comtemporary picture about unhappy, self-centered adults. Expand
  7. ChadS.
    Sep 6, 2004
    On a metaphysical level, "We Don't Live Here Anymore" works. Jack (Mark Ruffalo) is the narrator, as "We Don't Live Here Anymore" plays like a mounting of his forthcoming book that details the events of the ongoing disintegration of two marriages and friendships between the disenfranchised spouses detailed in this insufferable adaptation of Andrew Dubus (or Jack Linden's) On a metaphysical level, "We Don't Live Here Anymore" works. Jack (Mark Ruffalo) is the narrator, as "We Don't Live Here Anymore" plays like a mounting of his forthcoming book that details the events of the ongoing disintegration of two marriages and friendships between the disenfranchised spouses detailed in this insufferable adaptation of Andrew Dubus (or Jack Linden's) short stories. Jack will win the footrace (a recurring motif) with Hank (Peter Krause), a published poet, who's previous attempts at a novel, ends up on a grill. But "We Don't Live Here Anymore" feels emotionally overwrought. This film is based on Jack's material so when he experiences a change of heart, we judge him as a dishonest writer, because all of his actions suggest that he loves Edith (Naomi Watts). To me, it seems inconceivable that he has any feelings left for Terry (Laura Dern). Expand
  8. EdwinM.
    Sep 6, 2004
    Countless classic films and novels treat of adultery, and do it well because characters are presented in a way to engage the viewer's emotions. Character and motivation are very shallow in this film, yet technical elements like photography, mise-en-scene, editing and sound are handled very well, and acting is good. The suggestion that casual neglect justifies casual adultery in all 4 Countless classic films and novels treat of adultery, and do it well because characters are presented in a way to engage the viewer's emotions. Character and motivation are very shallow in this film, yet technical elements like photography, mise-en-scene, editing and sound are handled very well, and acting is good. The suggestion that casual neglect justifies casual adultery in all 4 protagonists is not convincing, in a literary sense. Too many reviewers only discuss the "message" and don't analyze the elements. Expand
  9. MS
    Sep 3, 2004
    Nice character study...all the actors were strong and the film had a nice pace and great ending.
  10. Lane
    Sep 3, 2004
    Not realistic at all with unsympathethic characters except for Laura Dern. Takes a long time to go absolutely nowhere. Forgotten as soon as you leave the theater.
  11. TT
    Aug 26, 2004
    FANTASTIC FILM!!!
  12. ElijahE.
    Aug 24, 2004
    Boring and dull. The plot is poor and the way the actors act relavent to what is going on is unrealistic.
  13. RayRay
    Aug 19, 2004
    An outstanding film. Ruffalo and Watts are outstanding, Dern is solid as usual, but Krause is just OK -- basically playing his "6 Feet Under" role. But this film takes a very different bite at the infidelity apple, and it seems much more authentic because of it. It's certainly not a pick-me-up or "heart-warming" kind of movie, but I would consider it a must-see anyhow.

1. Reviewed by: Duane Byrge
    Director John Curran has masterfully managed to convey flesh and blood within the permutations of the sometimes clinical story. Enhancing the people-next-door nature of this saga were the film's smart technical contributions.
    The film, sometimes talky and overemphatic, is also literate, erotic, brutally funny and touched by brilliance in its quartet of live-wire performances.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Tony literary material, a fine cast and intelligent script and direction.