6.3

1. Apr 7, 2012
    Having been born and raised in Brazil, perhaps the world's most Catholic country, movies that depict the Catholic church are usually biased. They often portray Catholic priests as either extremely perfect or extremly evil. In "We Have a Pope", however, no single character is either way. Every character is perfectly human. The Cardinals are portrayed as any other professional is. Everyone loves the religious calling, but some tend to be extremely obedient whereas others tend to be more relaxed; some find their profession revigorating, whereas others find it dull sometimes. And, this is true of any job: no matter where one works at, people are human to like or dislike the job sometimes. And perhaps the most human character in the movie is the protagonist, the elected Pope who is too afraid to accept his new calling. He comes to a point in life where he realizes that there are unfulfiled dreams in his life that he wishes to accomplish; there are things he has never experienced before and that make him see life in a whole new manner. And, again, that is true of many of us. We might reach a point in our life when we look back and wonder if that is the career or the life we really wanted for ourselves.
    In the end, it is not a movie about a pope or a priest, but rather, a movie about us, humans, trying to better understand our deep fears, desires and convictions.

1. Reviewed by: Marsha Lederman
    May 31, 2012
    If only Moretti had had the faith in his story and its gentle, organic comedy, and done away with the forced silliness.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    May 11, 2012
    This is rich material that Moretti mines for both superficial absurdity and deep pathos.
  3. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    May 3, 2012
    The film wastes itself on silliness and scattered threads before very long, truly squandering a brilliant promise.