Oscilloscope Laboratories | Release Date: December 9, 2011
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 159 Ratings
WATCH NOW
JennetPJun 1, 2012
I found this film kind of a mess. Arty in its silences and temporal jumps, artless in its sledgehammer symbolism (an alternate title could be "We Need to Talk About Kevin's Intake of Food That Looks Like Blood and Body Parts"), the film asksI found this film kind of a mess. Arty in its silences and temporal jumps, artless in its sledgehammer symbolism (an alternate title could be "We Need to Talk About Kevin's Intake of Food That Looks Like Blood and Body Parts"), the film asks much of viewers but doesn't reward our patience. Anyone who can't predict exactly what will happen--including the weapon and a rough body count--is in the next theater viewing a different movie; I kept watching because some of these "oops, wrong theater" folk wrote reviews in major papers, reviews promising a big surprise. Oh well. But yes, the acting is wonderful, and the nature/nurture question genuinely fascinating. With a stronger script and fewer pretensions, this film could have been truly compelling. Expand
TVJerryApr 8, 2012
Tilda Swinton stars as a mother who's tortured by the pained relationship with her son, who's downright evil. From infancy until he commits a horrible crime as a teenager, she tries to break through, only to meet with cruelty and rejection.Tilda Swinton stars as a mother who's tortured by the pained relationship with her son, who's downright evil. From infancy until he commits a horrible crime as a teenager, she tries to break through, only to meet with cruelty and rejection. The film jumps freely from the aftermath of the attack to the growing pains (literally) of raising him. Of course, it's pretty apparent what's in store, so watching the effects of his malevolence and how she copes forms the fulcrum of the film. While Swinton and Ezra Miller (as the son) give compelling performances, the film's ominous overcast and convoluted structure give it a heavy coating that's just excessive. Expand
nilzApr 8, 2012
I just couldn't quite pull it off. "Kevin" was a film that did many things very right, but did enough things completely wrong to ruin it for me. Its hard to describe the disappointing aspects of the film, because so many of them are tied upI just couldn't quite pull it off. "Kevin" was a film that did many things very right, but did enough things completely wrong to ruin it for me. Its hard to describe the disappointing aspects of the film, because so many of them are tied up with the expectations created by the really well done parts. The visual storytelling starts out strong, enabling viewers to get to know characters and plot elements on an emotional level with out everything being spelled out to the letter. The problem is the film begins to deal with absolutes, and the visual storytelling begins to fail. There are beautifully shot, almost abstract segments in the film which instead of hinting at larger elements of characters and plot, are often used to brush over key elements of relationships (the mother and father in particular) and diluting character development in the process. Kevin's character is portrayed as an absolute evil, and overall a very one dimensional, similarly with the father, who is completely clueless throughout the film. There is a subtlety that is wants so badly to be the core of the film but is consistently failing throughout through the hands of barefaced writing/directing. Tilda Swinton fights hard to keep her character interesting, but the other actors, especially those that played Kevin didn't stand a chance.

Honestly, I can only Imagine that there were people working on this film who all had vastly different ideas of how it should turn out, and in the end it feels like the directing is what sunk the ship.
Apemonkey666Aug 18, 2012
Why do people do what they do? What makes people what they are? This film doesn't give an answer (nor does any other film) but it does give you a glimpse which makes this bleak film rather intriguing. The problem is that the Kevin characterWhy do people do what they do? What makes people what they are? This film doesn't give an answer (nor does any other film) but it does give you a glimpse which makes this bleak film rather intriguing. The problem is that the Kevin character is one annoying sh*t (intentionaly so) which also makes watching this film a bit annoying but it ads to the creepy and uneasy feel this film has. It gives the impression it's building up to something (it does in a way) but at the end it still feels like there has to be something more, like something's missing that would make this good movie an instant classic... Expand
mcfathAug 6, 2012
I bought this movie, which i wouldn't recommend to anyone, though it has it's bright point. It is very well made; it gets under your skin at times, in good and bad ways; tilda swinton was excellent, as usual, and kevin was a good actor; butI bought this movie, which i wouldn't recommend to anyone, though it has it's bright point. It is very well made; it gets under your skin at times, in good and bad ways; tilda swinton was excellent, as usual, and kevin was a good actor; but this was not an overall realized enough movie to make it worth watching and I highly doubt my dvd will have a good resell value either. I am uncertain while this got such high marks. And I usually agree with the marks on this wonderful site. Expand
j1trainMar 27, 2016
You'll respect it a little and hate it a lot. It's provocation after provocation. We Need to Talk About Kevin is a well-acted, artful nightmare that I wouldn't wish on anyone.
LeZeeDec 4, 2016
How do you define a parenting failure!

How do you define a parenting failure!

The film was based on the book of the same name, directed by a Scottish director. A psychological thriller, one of those what some people feel uncomfortable watching it. The film holds a suspense from the past event, it is not going to be revealed until the final quarter. Till then makes us to keep guessing it. Followed by the pieces of flashback, the story of a mother who struggled to raise his first born, a boy named Kevin was told.

It takes us to show how happy she was before. Once she got pregnant, everything changed in her life forever. She failed to understand her son. Ever since he was a baby, he had given her a lot of trouble. When he reaches his teenage, it becomes even more complication to her to handle him and events around him. But a big blow is what shocks the entire neighbourhood and her life turns a hell.

Shot within a month. Tilda Swinton's one of the best, maybe the best of all the bests. She should have been nominated for the Oscars. I think that's one of the greatest snub ever. The supporting cast was amazing too, including John C. Reilly in a small part and particularly those Kevins from different ages. The overall tone was great, the atmosphere was created perfectly to the kind of story it dealt.

I should have watched it earlier, but you know the type of film we look for and moods, all some times influence to miss a film narrowly. Anyway, it was on my watch list and I am finally going to scratch that off. It was a good film, but there's nothing special. The theme was strong, and seems like straight out of a real event, particularly these things are common in the United States. So if you are an American or familiar with the American culture, it will interest you.

This is not as inspiring film, but kind of factual film like parenting failure. The end was disturbing, yet there's nothing bold revelation in the narration. Definitely an interesting take, though blaming parents, especially the mother was kind of disappointing, as well as depressing. That's why the tale was commenced since pregnant till the final twist. Actually, it was the editing tricks that make the film to have a twist. Otherwise, it is a straightforward story. Not bad for viewing once. It was slow and too long, if you think you can manage that, then you could try it.