6.2

1. Mar 14, 2011
    This movie just didn't cut it. A guy (J. Phoenix) doesn't go from being a nightclub manager inside a drug den to becoming a decorated cop simply because his high-ranking father got killed. Mark Wahlberg gets shot execution style but lives... only in the movies. The plot lines aren't well developed. The viewer never gets to identify with any of the characters because they're all generic stereotypes, and many of the scenes are incredibly boring. I'm glad I watched this on DVD and could use the fast-forward button; an hour-and-45 minute flick took just 45 minutes to watch, and it still lacked entertainment value. Expand
  2. Aug 8, 2014
    It is difficult to see a movie this great and made so recently get so little love on the internet. James Gray is a superb filmmaker, though I don't really like, at all, his "Two Lovers", also with Joaquin. Anyway, he and the whole crew of Night don't deserve less than the highest plaudits.

I don't feel that I can carry the only positive user review on metacritic. At this writing only
    one other person has bothered to write a review with the dismal score of a 4/10. I haven't got the words because I am utterly bummed. Easily this could have been in the running for the Academy Awards had the critics made it their darling. This is proof that when they don't want you to like something, you--not me--won't like it. If they want you to love it, you'll love it. I have to wonder how they got pissed off, were they not invited to an advanced viewing? I wanted to see a whole row of 100's, but the top score is an 83!

To humor you, I liked this movie more than Cronenberg's Eastern Promises, also a Perfect Ten to me, also out in 2007. There is cop/crime/russians in Night and Promises both, and a familial connection as far as crime fathers are concerned and loyalty to them; but Night is far more personal and human with a literal blood family carrying the majority of the drama. If you like Promises you'll see that there are plenty of differences between the two films, and the similarities are only skin deep, so no slurs should be made about either one being the copy of the other. Also see the less similar but not less superb End of Watch.

1. Gray knows how to sell the idea of unalterable destiny with a car chase: That’s the mark of a real action director.
    We Own the Night is defiantly, refreshingly unhip.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Adequately acted and flecked with the required quota of action to satisfy genre fans, pic recalls numerous good police dramas of the 1970s, but mostly in superficial ways that bring nothing new to the table.