6.9

1. Jun 18, 2012
    t is already hard to find a good documentary and it's even miraculously harder for me to find such cheerful, heartbreaking and such accomplished documentary such as this piece of work. The story was uniquely shocking..yet lying so near to us. The film told both from the individual to a bigger picture as the community in their fight aginst HIV in such emotional ugly-passionate expression.t is already hard to find a good documentary and it's even miraculously harder for me to find such cheerful, heartbreaking and such accomplished documentary such as this piece of work. The story was uniquely shocking..yet lying so near to us. The film told both from the individual to a bigger picture as the community in their fight aginst HIV in such emotional ugly-passionate expression.
    Too Great to be missed.
  2. Nov 20, 2011
    What it lacks in revelation it makes up for in sheer gut-punching emotion, proving that just because a movie is a documentary doesn't mean it can't be as involving and as utterly compelling as the best fiction.
  3. Nov 20, 2011
    Absolutely spellbinding -- as a narrative, completely absorbing; as a document of the times, illuminating; as a film, impeccably made. This and "Senna" are easily the best documentaries I've seen this year, or in the past several years. Most highly recommended.
  4. Nov 7, 2011
    If you lived through this holocaust as someone significantly affected by it, watching this film could provide a powerful catharsis of the emotions that so many of us had to repress in order to survive the relentless onslaught of illness and death of our chosen families in the late 80's and early 90's. But don't do it alone--go with a close friend you can share with afterwards.If you lived through this holocaust as someone significantly affected by it, watching this film could provide a powerful catharsis of the emotions that so many of us had to repress in order to survive the relentless onslaught of illness and death of our chosen families in the late 80's and early 90's. But don't do it alone--go with a close friend you can share with afterwards. Ultimately, this film left me with a wide open heart full of gratitude, inspiration, a renewed faith in humanity, and something like pride in how we came together as a community to care for each other. Expand
  5. Oct 1, 2011
    Astonishingly powerful film about Aids in San Francisco in the 80s and the Gay community's response.
    I strongly urge everyone to cast trepidation aside and go see this film. Your heart will thank you.

1. Reviewed by: Eve Barlow
    Nov 21, 2011
    A moving look behind the curtain of a rarely-explored community.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Oct 13, 2011
    It's a horrific tale, filled with fear, confusion, anger, disfigurement, and loss. Weissman and Weber don't milk the pathos and they don't have to. Their interview subjects are brilliantly chosen, not only for their specific vantage points on the events but for their eloquence and depth of feeling. Time and again, the spoken and visual record of what happened overwhelms you.
    The most gripping war movie you'll see this year, We Were Here tells first-hand the story of how AIDS attacked San Francisco, killing more than 15,000. Whole peer groups were happy, healthy, and then dead in months.