6.3

1. Jan 24, 2012
    I guess my score is high simply because it's nowhere near as bad as all the reviews prepared me for. It's a very feminine film, from a very feminine point of view, and a very specific point of view at that. And considering the state of the economy right now, you will either feel offended by the opulence on screen or, like me, simply get lost in how beautiful and luxurious it all looks. Visually it's a great escape from the boarded up shops and austerity going on in the country right now. As far as the story goes--well--I was too busy being lost in how gorgeous it all looked. But honestly, it's not anywhere as bad as some of the reviews have said. It's just a mediocre story with some of the most exceptional costumes and visuals for a period piece I've ever seen. And the musical score is superb too. But yeah, the story is mediocre. Hopefully M will direct a script someone else writes next time. That could be something to behold. Expand
  2. Jun 13, 2013
    A sweeping, beautiful movie with a gorgeous musical score, The twirling dance scene alone is worth watching the movie. Madonna is unfairly ripped by male critics who like dub-ass crap with half-ass comedians. Look at critic scores for male-oriented movies, vs more feminine types. The feminine types get ripped. Madonna is an artist. What she produces may not be perfect but it's beautiful.
  3. Dec 7, 2012
    This movie is awesome, that's all I have to say! The music, the costumes the scenery it's all amazingly well done and well chosen! Madonna proved that she's more than an amazing entertainer she's also an awesome director! This movie would have gained a dozen Academy Awards if the people wouldn't be as hateful as they are when they see the name Madonna on it.
  4. Mar 31, 2013
    This film was an ambitious project for its director who as per usual the critics attacked sadly had another person directed this film it would have faired far better, even if it was left untouched, some people appear to be unable to separate a singer from a director an thus wait to attack, this film is not worthy of such an attach,interestingly some critics are now saying that the film will become more of a classic in its time,It is a very enjoyable film, blending two stories into one, in the same way James Cameron did with Titanic, enjoy this film for what it is, an untold love story. Expand
  5. Nov 11, 2013
    This is really sad that this really great movie get so much hate only because it's Madonna movie.
    I'm 100% sure that if she would decide to use fake name as a director she would get much better scores.
    Well shame on you, if you judge it only because you can stand Queen of Pop being perfect in everything she does

1. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Mar 16, 2012
    It's hard to hate a movie that escorts us to such lovely locales, but instead of marking the territory as her own, Madonna has directed a potentially provocative story like a virgin.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Mar 15, 2012
    The nearest thing to W. E. is Sofia Coppola's "Marie Antoinette," which tried to make a sympathetic victim of another of history's most notorious royal wives.
  3. Reviewed by: Connie Ogle
    Mar 1, 2012
    Only in the execution does Madonna stumble: Despite the undeniable romance of the historical material, she has made a movie more concerned with how things look than how they feel. Which should not surprise anyone.