6.3

1. Sep 23, 2014
    What? How dare anyone rank this below a 9. Let me rate a 0 to show you all how angry I am. If Oprah can make a network, I can make a damn film. I even managed to keep my gollum-like fingers clung behind the lens to save on having to provide sick bags in movie theaters - you should all grovel. Let me be clear - I will get Nicki Minaj and someone else relevant to find each and every reviewer and smack them to the point where they speak like Cher. Oh well, at least this movie only cost me $30 million - I've paid more for black kids to stay relevant! Expand
  2. Apr 7, 2014
    Madonna’s second film as a director, after the little seen FILTH AND WISDOM (2008). W.E. is her much more ambitious venture commingles Wally (Cornish), a modern woman’s self-liberation from a dead water marriage and the scandalous love affair between American divorcée Wallis Simpson (Riseborough) and King Edward VIII (D’Arcy) which causes a constitutional crisis in the history.

read the
    rest of the review in my blog: google "cinema omnivore", thanks Expand
  3. Jan 3, 2014
    Um das piores películas que já nos ultimos tempos, ruim mal feito, a trama simplesmente horrível os personagens são mal desenvolvido e mal acabados.
  4. Nov 14, 2013
    Madonna must return to the stage, because she understands pop music, but definitely not film, so many attempts and almost no hit, not worth wasting time with this movie.
  5. Nov 11, 2013
    This is really sad that this really great movie get so much hate only because it's Madonna movie.
    I'm 100% sure that if she would decide to use fake name as a director she would get much better scores.
    Well shame on you, if you judge it only because you can stand Queen of Pop being perfect in everything she does
  6. Jun 13, 2013
    A sweeping, beautiful movie with a gorgeous musical score, The twirling dance scene alone is worth watching the movie. Madonna is unfairly ripped by male critics who like dub-ass crap with half-ass comedians. Look at critic scores for male-oriented movies, vs more feminine types. The feminine types get ripped. Madonna is an artist. What she produces may not be perfect but it's beautiful.
  7. Mar 31, 2013
    This film was an ambitious project for its director who as per usual the critics attacked sadly had another person directed this film it would have faired far better, even if it was left untouched, some people appear to be unable to separate a singer from a director an thus wait to attack, this film is not worthy of such an attach,interestingly some critics are now saying that the film will become more of a classic in its time,It is a very enjoyable film, blending two stories into one, in the same way James Cameron did with Titanic, enjoy this film for what it is, an untold love story. Expand
  8. Dec 22, 2012
    Like a Moving Tapestry W. E. is a delightful movie that blends two love stories, a biography and history. There were many moments when the camera work is stunning. The actors deftly bring to life a gripping story line. The beautiful costumes and lovely sets give this show a rich texture. Madonna directed this and I look forward to more works of art she directs. Wikipedia informs me she also co-wrote this so I am even more amazed. I would highly recommend this for Date night whether married or single
    Romantics
  9. Dec 12, 2012
    What we have is two films here. The one following Edward and Mrs simpson is actually really good, but the other in the modern time following Abbie Cornish is rather more ponderous and unnecessary. Andrea Riseborough is a revelation as Wallis Simpson and the film's costumes and design are lovely. Director Madonna also gives us some interesting camera set ups, which set to the stunning score are very effective. Without doubt the underrated film of 2012. Expand
  10. Dec 7, 2012
    This movie is awesome, that's all I have to say! The music, the costumes the scenery it's all amazingly well done and well chosen! Madonna proved that she's more than an amazing entertainer she's also an awesome director! This movie would have gained a dozen Academy Awards if the people wouldn't be as hateful as they are when they see the name Madonna on it.
  11. May 30, 2012
    Conceived and directed by Madonna, W.E. is a gorgeous mess.
  12. May 3, 2012
    Now director Madonna could easily be, what you say a horrid movie. And, sure it doesn't satisfy people like teenagers and young adults, but it does have a really appropriate story. The camera shot of the film is a genuine and perfect, the film itself is a bit longer as it should be, but with its proceeding films "The King's Speech", "The Iron Lady" and so-and-so, the film is still a good mix of a classic beauty and sometimes.... A complete horror. Expand
  13. Apr 27, 2012
    W.E. is one of three biopics I have seen this year, after The Iron Lady and J Edgar. Of the three I think W.E. is probably the best, but all three tread the path of the mediocre. What W.E. gets right is Wallis Simpson, Riseborough is fantastic in the lead role and has great chemistry with James D'Arcy. The biggest problem with the film is the the second tier of the romance with Abbie Cornish's Wally Winthrop, though the romance picks up momentum around the one hour mark, it slows down the pace of the Wallis Simpson segments.

The script has high and low notes, the romance at times is reduced sappiness, but these are forgivable even when they are at there worst. What is probably the biggest weakness in W.E. is the often close up hand held camera shots. The occasional one works nicely, but these shots are put in far too often and take you out of the story. In most cases the camera work could have been more simplistic, it too often feels erratic which isn't good in the more tender moments of the film.

The music in W.E. is beautiful and the addition of "Masterpiece" in the credits is a lovely song to go side by side with the film. However sometimes the music is a little over powering, once again just a case of less is more. The much discussed and derided scene with Wallis dancing the Charleston with a tribesman to The Sex Pistols "pretty Vacant", I really liked. I felt the scene was a good way to show how frivolous the character could be, using the modern day Wally's imagination to keep the scene from feeling alien.

Undoubtedly the best part of W.E. is the costume and lighting. The attention to detail in this department is incredible. Every costume looks stunning and is meticulously put together down to the nearest diamond, and the lighting makes the landscapes almost feel like paintings it really is stunning.

All in all W.E. is a great attempt from Madonna to craft a stunning looking film, though the storytelling can be muddled and the film takes around 40 minutes to really get going, its doesn't completely take away from the overall film. Historical inaccuracies put aside would have made this film a 7, but not exploring the Nazi element could have made this so much more interesting. The negative reviews of this film aren't looking at it from fair perspective and anyone with half a brain can see though not amazing, W.E. is at least half decent and for a directors second film pretty damn good.
  14. Jan 24, 2012
    I guess my score is high simply because it's nowhere near as bad as all the reviews prepared me for. It's a very feminine film, from a very feminine point of view, and a very specific point of view at that. And considering the state of the economy right now, you will either feel offended by the opulence on screen or, like me, simply get lost in how beautiful and luxurious it all looks. Visually it's a great escape from the boarded up shops and austerity going on in the country right now. As far as the story goes--well--I was too busy being lost in how gorgeous it all looked. But honestly, it's not anywhere as bad as some of the reviews have said. It's just a mediocre story with some of the most exceptional costumes and visuals for a period piece I've ever seen. And the musical score is superb too. But yeah, the story is mediocre. Hopefully M will direct a script someone else writes next time. That could be something to behold. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Mar 16, 2012
    It's hard to hate a movie that escorts us to such lovely locales, but instead of marking the territory as her own, Madonna has directed a potentially provocative story like a virgin.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Mar 15, 2012
    The nearest thing to W. E. is Sofia Coppola's "Marie Antoinette," which tried to make a sympathetic victim of another of history's most notorious royal wives.
  3. Reviewed by: Connie Ogle
    Mar 1, 2012
    Only in the execution does Madonna stumble: Despite the undeniable romance of the historical material, she has made a movie more concerned with how things look than how they feel. Which should not surprise anyone.