8.8

1. Sep 23, 2011
    Stunningly realistic and perfectly acted, WEEKEND surprised me in that I had no idea how hooked I had become until I found myself utterly moved by the end.
  2. Oct 12, 2011
    "Weekend" is such a delicate, modest little love story that even writing about it seems like it'll ruin the movie's spell. It's a slight film and hardly groundbreaking, but it's so lovely that you almost feel protective of it. Just like you want its main couple to find love with each other, you don't want anyone's snark ripping this sweet film to shreds. And I hope at some point in the future the most "interesting" thing about "Weekend" isn't that it's a gay love story. Maybe eventually people will just like it because it's a good love story, period. Expand
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    A beautiful movie that captures what it is like to be a gay man, looking for a connection (or not). It is a rare opportunity to see our lives on film that doesn't resort to the use of the sassy best fiend, mincing drag queen, or homophobic father to flesh out our lives. It just shows how we might spend one weekend making a connection with another human being.
  4. Mar 16, 2012
    Weekend is probably the most honest queer film since Shortbus. Chris New and Tom Cullen give unnervingly intimate and intricate moments for such a sustained period that the skin begins to anticipate fingertips.
  5. Oct 30, 2011
    What a splendid surprise! One can only wonder why this terrific, engrossing and beautifully crafted film is not bringing in at least a few million in the box office (perhaps it will win over fans abroad). The characters are so wonderfully real, and certainly ring true. Leads Tom Cullen (only 26!) and Chris New (the latter was very impressive when we saw him in an off-Broadway play earlier this year) are pitch perfect. My only regret is that we do not get to spend another 30-45 minutes with Glen and Russell, but I'm thankful for the time spent with them. Expand
  6. Jan 16, 2012
    A truly amazing movie. Never have I encountered a more realistic and genuine depiction of romance. The characters are both enchanting, as are their conversations and interactions. New and Cullen are both perfect in their roles, hitting all the right notes. This movie sticks with you, forcing you to come back to it long after the credits have rolled.
  7. Apr 15, 2012
    This film was as gay as hell! dont think you can get much gayer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. May 16, 2012
    Weekend is a wonderful movie. The protagonists are complex and diverse, as well as highly suggestive and secretive. The chemistry between them on scene is fascinating and intriguing. I'm very happy that there's another gay movie out that does not present the gay man as someone complementing the heterosexual everyday life; someone cute, witty and free with great experience in cutlery, sex, skin care, weddings and home deco. The men in the movie are to some extent alone and alienated, something much more relatable than an entourage of **** hags. The picture of something about to escape and the themes of, for example, loss translate into something real and relatable. This movie thrusts a fist down deep and stays there, even after the credits have finished rolling. Expand
  9. Dec 12, 2012
    Weekend is an achingly sad and beautiful film about 2 gay guys who meet up over one weekend. Tom Cullen is so devastatingly good that I thought I knew him. The two characters are presented so honestly with all their flaws and insecurities that you are by turn fascinated and hypnotised by the simplicity of the excellent screenplay. When all is said and done at its heart this is a life affirming love story which is not to be missed. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Michael O'Sullivan
    Oct 13, 2011
    It's uncompromisingly steamy, in a way that seems designed to make people who are uncomfortable with a physical relationship between two men even more uncomfortable.
  2. Reviewed by: Wesley Morris
    Oct 13, 2011
    One of the truest, most beautiful movies ever made about two strangers.
  3. Reviewed by: James Renovitch
    Oct 13, 2011
    Like the analogous "Before Sunrise," Weekend manages to ride the line between character study, comedy, drama, and a host of other genres without feeling cramped.