6.4

1. Dec 15, 2013
    Justice gone wrong. It happens every day, yet it also goes right more often then not. Point is, what does justify that one case of failed justice is held above the others? Are the Memphis 3 special? I think not. It's a tragic case, but there are plenty more in all states, all countries of the world. Difference is that those people aren't interesting enough for celebrities to get involved. Sure, it's cool that legends like Eddie Vedder and Henry Rollins are active for this case, but why just this case? Is it because it's WHITE justice gone wrong? Would it be different, let alone be a movie, if they wore slightly "off colour"? Just wondering... Expand
  2. Dec 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. It's a very interesting documentary which feels a bit too ordinary toward the end. I've seen the 3 Paradise Lost docs on HBO, so perhaps this film didn't have the same shock value for me that that it would like have for someone new to the subject. After the strong mountain of evidence that stacked up against the "other" stepfather who hadn't been scrutinized as strongly as the first over the last 15 years or so, it's a bit of a let-down that we don't see a criminal action brought against him. I would have liked to have seen the filmmakers at least address the issue. Glad to see Eddie Vedder (and the other "outsiders" praised by the final judge) stick by the 3 for over a decade of his life. Bottom line: it's an amazing story, but I felt like West of Memphis could have been a little tighter in its presentation after 3 such amazing HBO docs on essentially the same subject. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Mar 14, 2013
    While the “Paradise Lost” films captured events as they unfolded in the heat of battle, West of Memphis has the luxury of at least partial closure.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Mar 8, 2013
    As it is, it's little more than an artful rehash -- which means that anyone who wants closure to the story, or to see justice truly served, will have to wait a little longer.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Mar 7, 2013
    West of Memphis does nothing to displace its predecessor films as masterpieces of investigative filmmaking, but complements them as a riveting capstone to an epic and tragic tale.