Whale Rider

6.4

1. NinjaMafia
    Nov 2, 2003
    Not an utterly bad movie but it doesn't deserve universal praise. The story was predictable and over dramatized, making me cringe a little. The movie, however, did have a message and that is a rare thing to find this year . The acting was pretty godd, although, like I said it was a bit over dramatic at times. I'm actually afraid to give this movie a lower score (besides it Not an utterly bad movie but it doesn't deserve universal praise. The story was predictable and over dramatized, making me cringe a little. The movie, however, did have a message and that is a rare thing to find this year . The acting was pretty godd, although, like I said it was a bit over dramatic at times. I'm actually afraid to give this movie a lower score (besides it doesn't deserve one but just to let you know) because I feel that people would start calling me a racist. Which is kind of why I'm starting to hate culture today. If you hate Whale Rider, you are racist. If you like Kill Bill, you are racist (actually thats just a little joke, you see shes kills a bunch of asians at one point and my brother and I start to make fun of the movie by calling it racist, but it's not a bad movie, but that's another review) My pont is, I would really like Hollyweood to stop trying to make race specific movies (except whale rider is okay in my book) because it just will get people accused of everything. I hate this review I just did, I'm going to post it anyway, but I didn't talk a lot about Whale Rider and I hate when I do this in reviews. Overall, Whale Rider is a pretty good movie but I felt a bit cheated out of my money to see it. Expand
  2. anonymous
    Aug 9, 2005
    I have a five because this movie was good but not to good. Our english teacher is making us watch it over and over again it makes it really boring !!!! you don't no what its like it gets quite annoying. The story line was good but a bit predictable. good actors though.
  3. Jonas
    Jun 29, 2003
    From a technical standpoint, Whale Rider is quite marvelous. The acting is also something to be seen. The story, however, showed me very little that I had not read about in storybooks before or read in a National Geographic. It is a film for people who want to know about the diversity of world cultures but never really researched their interests.
  4. SamR.
    Jan 5, 2004
    (sung to the tune of "Valley Girl") "So my father says he loves me, why doesn't Grampy like me? Maori girl! Maori girl! Grampy's got me bawlin', but I hear those whales a-callin!" Maori girl! Maori girl! Guess-I'll-Just-Go-Ride-A-Whale!" - I felt as if I was watching an exotic Shirley Temple movie with a some of child abuse thrown in.
  5. AsherM.
    May 16, 2004
    OK movie we studied this for english so it gets a bit boring.
  6. Sep 28, 2010
    Keisha Castle-Hughes put all other child actors to shame in her dramatization of Paikea, a girl whose destiny as the leader of her people is constantly subverted by the traditional ideas of her grandfather. However, as awe-inspiring and inspirational as the story to "Whale Rider" is, director Niki Caro goes to unnecessary lengths to make sure you know why the movie was made, which detractsKeisha Castle-Hughes put all other child actors to shame in her dramatization of Paikea, a girl whose destiny as the leader of her people is constantly subverted by the traditional ideas of her grandfather. However, as awe-inspiring and inspirational as the story to "Whale Rider" is, director Niki Caro goes to unnecessary lengths to make sure you know why the movie was made, which detracts from the overall experience. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Caro gives the fablesque story -- based on a 1,000-year-old Maori legend -- both a contemporary and timeless quality, anchored by newcomer Castle-Hughes' powerful and haunting performance.
    There is magic here, enough to make Whale Rider worthy of the audience-choice awards it has earned at film festivals worldwide.
  3. The rhythms of Whale Rider are hypnotic as the ebb tide, haunting as the song of the humpback sea mammal, bracing as the ocean spray. It's a movie that rewards the patient viewer.