6.8

1. JakeG
    Sep 9, 2006
    A stupid plotline really. I mean ghosts in a house? Ghosts going into people's bodies? Corny.
  2. RandyJ
    Sep 9, 2006
    A Brilliant first-rate classic. Mind blowing intelligence and incredible acting deliver the small blows. Sheer terrifying brilliance delivers the rest. A perfectly cast mind-blowing tour-de-force, stunning and superb. The greatest horror movie of our time.
    Feb 1, 2001
    Excellent! Really scary!
  4. Aaron.
    Aug 30, 2007
    Above average (average horror flick) in terms of cinematography, acting, and a very effective score. And there are some great chilling moments. But it gets pretty ridiculous pretty quick.
    Feb 2, 2001
    The suspense was KILLER. Just the type of movie I enjoy.
  6. ConradR.
    Jul 9, 2001
    Eerie, scary, mysterious; doesn't go "right-over-the-top" like modern thrillers and horrors.
  7. HarrisonF.
    May 4, 2003
    Too slow for its own good SUCKED SUCKED the only reason i giving it a 1 is because i starred in it and michelle phiefer is hot!
  8. JohnS.
    Aug 10, 2006
    What makes this movie great is that it's essentially a chick flick that descends into a suspense thriller. The scares and special effects are given in quality, not quantity, sprinkled perfectly throughout the plot. The ending requires you to stretch your brain a little, but the setup leaves you so desperately wanting a manifestation of the fears involved that you take it. Pfeiffer What makes this movie great is that it's essentially a chick flick that descends into a suspense thriller. The scares and special effects are given in quality, not quantity, sprinkled perfectly throughout the plot. The ending requires you to stretch your brain a little, but the setup leaves you so desperately wanting a manifestation of the fears involved that you take it. Pfeiffer does an excellent job carrying the load, and Ford is refreshing as a villain. Expand
  9. GregF.
    Jul 24, 2001
    I love Michelle Pfeiffer, but this movie just plodded along. A big disappointment.
  10. AndrewM.
    May 17, 2004
    A good film but not as effective as it could have been. I think Pfeiffer is well cast, snug in character, but I'm not so sure about Ford... I love his films but in WLB he just wasn't convincing enough and I don't think he added anything to the film. The direction was strong and creative (good use of the water theme) and the cinematography was suitably eerie. The screenplay A good film but not as effective as it could have been. I think Pfeiffer is well cast, snug in character, but I'm not so sure about Ford... I love his films but in WLB he just wasn't convincing enough and I don't think he added anything to the film. The direction was strong and creative (good use of the water theme) and the cinematography was suitably eerie. The screenplay gets a pass, but not a credit. All up, a good thriller, worth seeing, but in truth there are better examples to be found. Expand
  11. raVen
    Nov 3, 2003
    (8.5) I liked it. The many moody allusions to water in its different forms (steam, fog, lake, bathtub, snow, etc.) are nice throughout, and adds subplot that one might use for a research paper. Having to cross water before the cell phone will reach the outside world was a nice touch. But trust me--the soundtrack is absolutely KILLER for driving around in the country at night!
  12. Jan 28, 2011
    A smart thriller with brilliant acting from Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeiffer. Definitively one of my favorites. While focusing on the problems of an apparently normal relationship, "What Lies Beneath" has some original scary moments and much suspense.
  13. Feb 4, 2013
    What lies beneath? Definitely the most impressive and comprehensive collection of cliches, nonsense absurdities and boring moments ever assembled in this pretentious couldn't-possibly-be-slower film. Nothing happens for the first 90 minutes. Pfeiffer wanders in her home trying to look troubled, has pointless encounters with neighbors, plays some ouija with a friend and from time to timeWhat lies beneath? Definitely the most impressive and comprehensive collection of cliches, nonsense absurdities and boring moments ever assembled in this pretentious couldn't-possibly-be-slower film. Nothing happens for the first 90 minutes. Pfeiffer wanders in her home trying to look troubled, has pointless encounters with neighbors, plays some ouija with a friend and from time to time exchanges with Ford some dull dialogue that sounds anything but realistic. And when filming nothing seems to have reached it's limits, well, you just get some more. The final twist doesn't come as a surprise -remember, you had 90' to try and guess it out, nothing was happening on the screen- and the final confrontation is sooooo ludicrous that it keeps me wondering if it has been stolen from the Scary Movie franchise. But surprisingly, I actually rather enjoyed the ending. It gets hysterical as every step seems to have been written under the strict rule of "of all options my characters have, what would be the least logical or probable?" This pure overdose of nonsense situations gets really funny, and comes as a nice and more than welcomed frustration relief after sitting through nearly two hours of pretentious pseudo hitchcokian homage. (I know I got Sir Alfred's last name spelled wrong, but it keeps being deleted by some poorly encoded "Politically Correct" protection stuff that doesn't seem to stand the second syllable of Hitchco**) Expand
  14. Jan 8, 2015
    Very Hitchcock like movie. True to his style in every way. Well written, well edited, well acted. Naysayers will be out there, but then, not everyone loves Hitchcock, either, so there you go.

At once illogical and insultingly stupid, filled with dead-end twists and the sort of dialogue that makes a mockery of actual adult relations.
    Glazes over faster than a Krispy Kreme doughnut, and neither is very flavorful after sitting around for a while.
    This slow, derivative chiller (which lifts liberally from "Ghost Story," "Rear Window" and "A Stir of Echoes") wastes far too much time on red herrings and telegraphs its plot points with painfully obvious dialogue.