4.6

1. BobA.
    Jan 15, 2006
    A movie that held such promise for those who are interested in quantum physics, goes south quickly, turning into a bad after school special. The endless "experts" (who's names and qualifications are withheld until the end probably so we don't know that they're blow-hards) assume that anyone who has to be explalined quantum physics, must bet twelve years old. All of this is A movie that held such promise for those who are interested in quantum physics, goes south quickly, turning into a bad after school special. The endless "experts" (who's names and qualifications are withheld until the end probably so we don't know that they're blow-hards) assume that anyone who has to be explalined quantum physics, must bet twelve years old. All of this is bad enough, until the world of science suddenly morphs into new age religous babble under the guise of science. You don't have to be a fundamentalist to be angerd by the manipulation and overall waste of time that this movie is. Expand
  2. JohnC.
    Jun 24, 2004
    This movie is kinda sucky. I'd call it the video equivalent of an unpublished book called "new age ca-ca for dummies". Some of the ideas were interesting, although I have heard most of them before. The manner in which they were presented - a mixture of interviews and narrated computer sequences - was alternatingly ineffective and downright silly. Moreover, one of the speakers This movie is kinda sucky. I'd call it the video equivalent of an unpublished book called "new age ca-ca for dummies". Some of the ideas were interesting, although I have heard most of them before. The manner in which they were presented - a mixture of interviews and narrated computer sequences - was alternatingly ineffective and downright silly. Moreover, one of the speakers apparently was a deceased person channeled through a medium. The only person who would benefit from this movie is a 16 year old who had never heard of Deepak Chopra and is highly visual. The computer graphics of neuronal activity and a thunderstorming cerebellum were perhaps the movie's only redeeming qualities. For an existential trip-out, I'd save my money and rent "Waking Life". Waking life is not condescending and pedantic, looks way, way cooler, and is more ideologically broad-reaching and poetic. Expand
  3. MelR
    Apr 5, 2005
    Couldn't even get past the first 30 minutes. There didn't appear to be a story at all, and it was just too wierd to waste time on. That's sad since I really like the actress.
  4. MikeR
    Apr 9, 2005
    Positives: the intended message and the creative (but not always effective) way of interweaving a dramatic story line into an otherwise dry documentary. Negatives: dated and boring animation, poorly chosen music, and most particularly the overriding sense that the producers are shooting for big bucks simply by telling us that is a break-through film. Overall: disappointing.
  5. JackieP.
    May 29, 2005
    This movie unfolds the filmmakers' beliefs in the positive thinking, "power of choice," self-help school of spirituality, bolted to a few partially understood and misapplied ideas of quantum physics, plus some neuroscientific observations about synapses forming and failing. It does so dishonestly by patchwork quilting various peoples' views in talking head shots - the TM folk, This movie unfolds the filmmakers' beliefs in the positive thinking, "power of choice," self-help school of spirituality, bolted to a few partially understood and misapplied ideas of quantum physics, plus some neuroscientific observations about synapses forming and failing. It does so dishonestly by patchwork quilting various peoples' views in talking head shots - the TM folk, the Ramtha folk, a very nice Indian physicist, and so on, with a couple of snips from seemingly legit scientific folk in white lab coats. The more legit scientists seem to back up the new agers but really are only enthusiastically explaining a little bit about quantum mechanics - The film makers then segue to confident new age folk who leap from analogy to analogy - which feels so much more exciting and mysterious than the actual rigorous and limited scientific method of proceeding (which employs actual logical reasoning and real, tediously and meticulously designed empirical testing) - to positions of certainty about the nature of our experience and existence at which legitimate scientists can only gawp open mouthed at in amazement and disbelief. You aren't supposed to notice the gaps between the seams, but anybody with any idea about how to actually think, as opposed to how to how to have nice feelings about life, will want to throw their copy of "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene - read as a corrective to this movie if you are actually interested in quantum mechanics - through the TV screen. Oh, and if you like to watch, rent "The Elegant Universe" - DVD available for rental - for a much more interesting, honest, and visually fascinating introduction to string theory and quantum mechanics. Roger Ebert, I'm disappointed in you. You actually liked this movie and didn't see through its glamor of smartspeak. Expand
  6. PaulP.
    May 30, 2005
    A complete waste of time. Tries to cloak New Age fantasies in quasi-scientific jargon, but fails miserably as a piece to be taken seriously.
  7. GavinO.
    Jan 9, 2006
    This film is one of the worst films I have ever seen - an absolute insult in my opinion. I think that enough people have learned about quantum physics, and appreciate the strictest scientific methods that are applied to affirm our knowledge - will recognize that this movie effectively throws s*** in the face of science, selectively (and craftily) using bits of knowledge to support This film is one of the worst films I have ever seen - an absolute insult in my opinion. I think that enough people have learned about quantum physics, and appreciate the strictest scientific methods that are applied to affirm our knowledge - will recognize that this movie effectively throws s*** in the face of science, selectively (and craftily) using bits of knowledge to support Ramtha's and others' efforts. Though these well may be have some ground in fact they must be supported by scientific proof and real observable evidence to be credible. The part about water crystals was my breaking point- this guy's own colleagues (while supporting his mainstream work) are adamantly opposed to this 'sideline' - the experiments are not independantly reproducible, nor do they prove anything - the unsupported conclusions drawn from real quantum experiments were sickening. Read or listen to Richard Feinman or Carl Jung is infinitely more satisfying if you really want to understand more. However, if you consider yourself one of the 'seekers' and need a fix of your own self actualizing neural chemical soma - enjoy. p.s. I found the 'acting' embarrassing. Expand
  8. SeamusS.
    Feb 3, 2006
    Only goes to show that the truley left brained should leave the creative side to the right. Uhmm If that makes anysense, this is a boring piece of pretention produced by someone who clearly was never ment to pick up a camera.
  9. Chimp
    Nov 22, 2004
    What a waste of time!
  10. Justin
    Dec 2, 2004
    What a ridiculous piece of shit! Anybody with even the SLIGHTEST understand of quantum physics will look right throught this "movie" and see it for what it is -- a lump of new-agey garbage that uses physics on only the most tangential level to try justifying its questionable metaphysics. The one woman whose interview is used most is the one with the LEAST scientific credentials. To top it What a ridiculous piece of shit! Anybody with even the SLIGHTEST understand of quantum physics will look right throught this "movie" and see it for what it is -- a lump of new-agey garbage that uses physics on only the most tangential level to try justifying its questionable metaphysics. The one woman whose interview is used most is the one with the LEAST scientific credentials. To top it all off, it's just bad filmmaking, plain and simple. Expand
  11. Goddaeus
    Jan 19, 2005
    In all honesty, this movie was like a review from Psychology and Physics class. However if you could follow, the movie was entertaining. If you're looking to be entertained I wouldn't recommend this movie. If you're looking to learn something, I also wouldn't recommend it, just read a book or something so you can go at your own pace. Another thing about this movie was In all honesty, this movie was like a review from Psychology and Physics class. However if you could follow, the movie was entertaining. If you're looking to be entertained I wouldn't recommend this movie. If you're looking to learn something, I also wouldn't recommend it, just read a book or something so you can go at your own pace. Another thing about this movie was that it targets a very narrow audience. The more educated audience will find this dull and just like packing as much info into your head the day before an exam. On the other hand, if one is not educated in these aspects, the movie will be too difficult to follow and you may just fall asleep. In one review, the person stated that the movie treats you like a junior high school student. This statement is for the most part true. I would recommend reading up on the movie before watching it. Expand
  12. JackV.
    Feb 20, 2005
    I haven't seen so much #$*! presented as documentary evidence since "Michael Moore Meets the Swift Boat Veterans". I kept expecting Leonard Nimoy to make a guest appearance: "In Search Of...another scam to pull over the eyes of our gullible viewers." If you think that toasters were designed using captured space-alien technology then this movie is for you.
  13. MichaelW.
    Apr 19, 2005
    Ridiculous garbage. If you want to hear a chiropractor's thoughts on the universe and the nature of existence -- or maybe the thoughts of a channeled 3,000 year old being from Atlantis -- this is the film for you!
  14. DrunkenMaster
    Sep 4, 2005
    Total Crap. Anyone who buys into this garbage should be ashamed. There is absolutely no scientific or spiritual merit to this poopfest.
  15. MarkM.
    Jul 16, 2006
    Junk, unmitigated magical thinking cultish propaganda rubbish! Gullible true believers will fall for the gags and out right misrepresentations but anyone with true intelligence and good sense will understand why this fairytale film is dangerous in the hands of the foolish. This is a thinly veiled recruitment and training video for pseudoscience cult like thinking. Be afraid of a society Junk, unmitigated magical thinking cultish propaganda rubbish! Gullible true believers will fall for the gags and out right misrepresentations but anyone with true intelligence and good sense will understand why this fairytale film is dangerous in the hands of the foolish. This is a thinly veiled recruitment and training video for pseudoscience cult like thinking. Be afraid of a society where more than 3% of the population consider this film as anything other than trash. Expand
  16. RobertH.
    Mar 3, 2007
    One of the most laughable films ever made. It represents ridiculous claims as scientific fact without any sort of credibility. When JZ Knight "channeled" an alien warrior to help explain quantum physics, I knew that this movie was full of BS. Avoid at all costs.
  17. MarianneB.
    Jul 29, 2009
    Aimed at people who were confused by middle school. Looks like short clips from all sorts of NOVA programs put into a paper bag and shaken (no context!) up spliced with clips of psychic babbling. It's like being stuck at a bus stop having to endure the conversation among stupid people wanting to shout "You stupid #@%*'s!" but too polite to do so.
  18. AbhijayP.
    Jun 23, 2004
    A disjointed mix of science documentary and narrative of self-discovery is completely undone by amateurish acting and a mishmash of disparate new age thinking.
  19. JonH.
    Apr 13, 2005
    Well i do know one thing for sure, this movie stinks of hogwash. oh and one other thing i guess i know, it sure feels good to be vindicated by the critics (apart from some jackass users who must never have thought about the subjects covered hear in on there own). What the @#$* were they thinking when they financed this dreck?
  20. StevieB.
    Aug 27, 2005
    If you really believe you can do it, you can walk through walls! It's "Science!" First: face a nearby wall, then: run forward as fast as you can! Go start practicing now, so you can be the first on your block to really understand "Physics!"

1. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Pic's not-so-hidden agenda is to promote the fusion of science and New Age religion, making it a close cousin to ventures as Bernt and Fritjof Capra's "Mindwalk."
  2. Reviewed by: Margaret Wertheim
    In the age of creationism, a sympathetic mix of science and religion sounds like a promising premise. But in this genre-blending cocktail of drama, documentary and computer-graphic animation, quantum physics is so subordinated to the service of an anything-goes mysticism that little remains of the science except the terminology.
  3. Reviewed by: Kevin Crust
    As entertainment, the movie is a mixed bag. Some of the talking heads become just that after a while.