4.6

1. PatrickS.
    Oct 9, 2004
    As a movie, I thought the absolutely crazed mix of a badly acted story, interviews with many scientists and professors, and jumping, singing and dancing CGI blobs was exactly what i wanted: I came in hoping to see the weirdest movie I could, and I certainly found one of them. However, I'm afraid some of the messages in the film are jeopardized by the fact that the movie was made by As a movie, I thought the absolutely crazed mix of a badly acted story, interviews with many scientists and professors, and jumping, singing and dancing CGI blobs was exactly what i wanted: I came in hoping to see the weirdest movie I could, and I certainly found one of them. However, I'm afraid some of the messages in the film are jeopardized by the fact that the movie was made by people from a rather strange religious organization. This certainly does not take everything away from it; surely the ideas presented here are no more crazy or dangerous than those of any major religion. But it is still very unfortunate that this film has an agenda, as the ideas presented are indeed fascinating. I liked this movie much more before I came home and found out about the film maker's intent and that some of the people presented here are in fact pretty phony. However, this film also has some very thought provoking ideas about the funnest questions in life: those ABOUT life, death, and meaning; those that have no answer. Approach this film with a healthy amount of skepticism as well as an open mind and you'll surely find this film worthwhile. Expand
  2. SteveW
    Jul 10, 2004
    I found this movie to provide an enjoyable introduction to newage ideas and some aspects of science thich seems to support it. At the same time it provides a fun story of a confused lady.
  3. DDexter
    Sep 10, 2004
    It's worth seeing, even if it only gets you started learning about quantum physics. I suggest Hyperspace by Michio Kaku or David Greene's Elegant Universe. I always enjoy movies that help me see the world from a different perspective. I think the people that have given this really low ratings probably just don't get it.
  4. PapaC.
    Jan 11, 2006
    I absolutely loved this movie. I realize that it is not for everyone though. It plays kind of like a college lecture, and sitting through it might be tedious for some. However, if you are able to stick it out, the lessons taught are fascinating, and illustrate with percision the realm of possibilities that exist in a world that we are just beginning to understand. I felt like I was I absolutely loved this movie. I realize that it is not for everyone though. It plays kind of like a college lecture, and sitting through it might be tedious for some. However, if you are able to stick it out, the lessons taught are fascinating, and illustrate with percision the realm of possibilities that exist in a world that we are just beginning to understand. I felt like I was floating after I left the theatre. Expand
  5. AlastairP.
    Jan 9, 2005
    Hated it as a film, but loved it for the mind expanding ideas. Thought really does create reality.
  6. bobc
    Mar 19, 2005
    For those unfamiliar with the concepts of Quantum Mechanics, the film is a good basic primer; and it does do a nice service of explaining the link between Quantum physics and how we deal with the world philisophically. In this sense, the film is a real succes; There are few movies that exist that explain the importance of the quantum world, and how it effects us in reality; both from a For those unfamiliar with the concepts of Quantum Mechanics, the film is a good basic primer; and it does do a nice service of explaining the link between Quantum physics and how we deal with the world philisophically. In this sense, the film is a real succes; There are few movies that exist that explain the importance of the quantum world, and how it effects us in reality; both from a real and philisophical standpoint. However, you have to get past the not-so-subtle New Age propaganda, which has nothing to do with the physics, either physically or philisophically. The movie will try to convince you otherwise, but don't be misled; and since quantum theory is kind of hard to wrap your head around as a beginner or layman, it may be difficult to distingish the difficult concepts from the New Age @#&!!. (pun intended) Marlee Matlin is a beautiful (and usually skilled) actress; but the storytelling here forced, and the fact that they cast her (Ms. Matlin is deaf) unfortunately feels like a further contrivence. Not the fact that she's deaf (as Matlin is in real life), but the fact that they had to lump her with the touchy-feely new age "philosophy" just feels kind of marginalizing. The computer graphics are strickly "Minds Eye" era work and fail to enhance the message at any rate. They don't even serve to entertain those who may watch the film in an (ahem) "altered" state, as the graphic sequences are predictable, and quick. The low point of this film for me is the soundtrack. Who doesn't love the classic rock band Boston (or at least able to tolerate them), but the playing of "more than a feeling" in certain moments of the film; or the poorly produced soft hip hop, which is a bad segue into one of the scenes; Music in a film is suppoed to enhance the emotional potental of the visuals and dialog; not try to not-so-subtly tell us what to be thinking or feeling in the film as part of the narrative. It is some of the most "after -school special" scoring I have heard since the 80s. So all that said; It's still worth a rental from your local video store, just for the quantum physics. HOWEVER, a much better film in this arena would be "Mindwalk." A much better narrative, with a great cast, solid writing, and no new-age $&#@!!!!!!!! - Cheers! Expand
  7. GrantC
    Apr 10, 2005
    This movie was absolutely EXTRA-ORDINARY the first time I saw it, yet even better the second time I saw it, as you discover deeper and deeper meanings hidden within it. We are only 3 days from the movies official release here in Melbourne, AUSTRALIA. I can't wait.
  8. SteveR
    Jul 19, 2005
    A movie like this has it's place and it's worth watching. I think people who are stuck in the old world form of goverment know as religion have a little more trouble with films like this, but few people even have the first clue as to how a radio works let alone the electronic complexities of thier home computer. They take it all for granted. Even GOD. This is a story of A movie like this has it's place and it's worth watching. I think people who are stuck in the old world form of goverment know as religion have a little more trouble with films like this, but few people even have the first clue as to how a radio works let alone the electronic complexities of thier home computer. They take it all for granted. Even GOD. This is a story of possibilities within the realm of what we know, which is very little at best. Good fun! Expand
  9. DanH.
    Nov 5, 2004
    Fascinating. Granted, it's not Spielberg, but tremendously stimulating and thought provoking. I saw it 3X in 24 hours. The growing public acclaim goes to show that a lot of critics don't know Bleep!
  10. S.Cipolla
    Oct 7, 2004
    The movie shows how much is possible, how much we can create, much of which we never have tried before because we didn't think it was possible to do ourselves. Our culture teaches us that everything comes from outside ourselves, and that simply is not true.
  11. LeeE.
    Jan 17, 2005
    The biggest flaw in this movie is trying to cover too much - philosophy, biochemistry, quantum physics, intentionality - which overwhelms those stuck in their narrow way of thinking. The film makers deserve credit in approaching this difficult task, and actually provoking some meaningful dialogue. It is very rare these days that entertainment does little more than lull the dull. It is The biggest flaw in this movie is trying to cover too much - philosophy, biochemistry, quantum physics, intentionality - which overwhelms those stuck in their narrow way of thinking. The film makers deserve credit in approaching this difficult task, and actually provoking some meaningful dialogue. It is very rare these days that entertainment does little more than lull the dull. It is amusing that "Sceintist wanna-bes" seem to be the ones who find it so threatening. Chill. It's just a film. Expand
  12. BostonB.
    Jan 6, 2005
    I absolutely love this movie. It's great for its content, not so much its cinematic value. The amount of enjoyment anyone will receive from it is directly linked to how receptive (s)he is to the observation-based philosophies the movie expounds. If you are ready to challenge your own paradigms, it's a great way to seriously explore the question, "What the #$*! Do We Know?". If I absolutely love this movie. It's great for its content, not so much its cinematic value. The amount of enjoyment anyone will receive from it is directly linked to how receptive (s)he is to the observation-based philosophies the movie expounds. If you are ready to challenge your own paradigms, it's a great way to seriously explore the question, "What the #$*! Do We Know?". If you are in the least bit interested in quantum physics, this movie is a terrific intro to some of the more interesting aspects. If you are really attached to your established beliefs or have a lot of resistance to taking responsibility for your thoughts and actions, this will probably seem like New Age fluff (but from some of most intelligent scientists and philosophers on the planet.) Expand
  13. HeywardB.
    Mar 4, 2005
    One of the best movies I have ever seen. The acting in this movie is horrible ( except for the guy in the bowtie at the wedding reception) but the content is AMAZING. I've seen it 3 times, and will be attending the question/answer session at the arclight theater premiere on March 15.
  14. BarrettP.
    Apr 6, 2005
    You're all right. the editing, the music...all rubbish. thank god the CONTENT beneath all of the smoke and mirrors might actually cause a few viewers to stop and think about their purpose in life. If every religious fanatic and addicted personality could experience and understand the message here, the world would be a better place...a wonderful journey.
  15. JoeyK.
    Aug 26, 2006
    Very much in the PBS documentary style, but high quality nonetheless. It's an interesting look at some radical ideas about quantum physics, which is totally fine because of how far out the scientific fields discussed are. Scientific people: It's radical theory and no matter what you think about it, it's fascinating. Spiritual people: Get over yourselves. I can see why Very much in the PBS documentary style, but high quality nonetheless. It's an interesting look at some radical ideas about quantum physics, which is totally fine because of how far out the scientific fields discussed are. Scientific people: It's radical theory and no matter what you think about it, it's fascinating. Spiritual people: Get over yourselves. I can see why fundamentalist wackos would find this offensive and subversive, but seriously, get over it. Expand
  16. OlmaS.
    Dec 10, 2004
    An extremely thought provoking film,a joyful respite from the ghastly,mindless blood and guts mayhem offered on most films,(both big screen and TV) today, A great film.
  17. GarthD
    Oct 26, 2004
    I'd rate this movie a little higher than most. At worst it is silly, flaky, self-aggrandizing and scientifically inaccurate (e.g. the body is about 70% water, not 90%). At best it is whimsical, playful, and a thoughful forum to contemplate notions of will, consciousness, and hope from the perspective of modern physics. I found the comments from some of the more eccentric characters I'd rate this movie a little higher than most. At worst it is silly, flaky, self-aggrandizing and scientifically inaccurate (e.g. the body is about 70% water, not 90%). At best it is whimsical, playful, and a thoughful forum to contemplate notions of will, consciousness, and hope from the perspective of modern physics. I found the comments from some of the more eccentric characters sort of cute and charming, even wise, if flaky. Some of the speakers do have impressive credentials--I have to wonder how they and their colleagues feel about their involvement in this film. The film did stimulate me to do some more reading about the latest in theoretical physics, and the potential relevance of these findings to human experience. Hopefully at best it will lead the viewer to do the same, and not accept the film as the last word on modern physics or mysticism! Expand
  18. ChrisL.
    Jun 28, 2004
    This was a very good introduction to the field of Cog. Psycology, and QP. Very cleverly put together.
  19. KristenM
    Sep 27, 2004
    Unbelievable (although not really) how so many people (reviewers and street people alike) could miss the point. Fortunately I surround myself with people who aren't afraid to look at the science and spirituality of possibilities.
    Jan 27, 2005
    I thought this was a really interesting movie. It was different than most movies but i walked out of the theatre thinking about things. Definitly worth while seeing it!
  21. Blerim
    Oct 14, 2006
    It's more than interesting how some people react on this "documentary". Why this documentary is taken so seriously by the biggest skeptics in the world? Why it matters so much? Maybe we just feel jealous because somebody else did this documentary and not us, maybe our experience is telling us that there is more than meet the eyes. (Sorry for my English writing, foreigner)
  22. ShaunM.
    Dec 17, 2006
    People are so bleeping dumb. It makes me wonder how many of the "red-numbered" reviews down below are from close-minded religious fanatics or dull witted white-trash.

1. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Pic's not-so-hidden agenda is to promote the fusion of science and New Age religion, making it a close cousin to ventures as Bernt and Fritjof Capra's "Mindwalk."
  2. Reviewed by: Margaret Wertheim
    In the age of creationism, a sympathetic mix of science and religion sounds like a promising premise. But in this genre-blending cocktail of drama, documentary and computer-graphic animation, quantum physics is so subordinated to the service of an anything-goes mysticism that little remains of the science except the terminology.
  3. Reviewed by: Kevin Crust
    As entertainment, the movie is a mixed bag. Some of the talking heads become just that after a while.