7.0

1. YoonMinC.
    Sep 29, 2003
    Conventional plot but the great Natalie Portman never sneers at the inferior material for a second and gives her best. It's nice to see a character being able to grow, learn, develop. Portman's character isn't equipped only with body and heart but with a mind. Good, and the beautiful Naomi Judd makes it even better, but the two guys here are pretty turdy and undeserving of Conventional plot but the great Natalie Portman never sneers at the inferior material for a second and gives her best. It's nice to see a character being able to grow, learn, develop. Portman's character isn't equipped only with body and heart but with a mind. Good, and the beautiful Naomi Judd makes it even better, but the two guys here are pretty turdy and undeserving of Portman's affections. Expand
    Jun 21, 2002
    I believe this movie was really good! I don't think the critics were right when they said it sucked and I'd like to see them make a movie and have people rate it until then they can shut their traps. It may not have been realistic but that is why I like movies. I like to pretend. Real life can be boring but when you twist it I think it makes it better.
  3. JohnG.
    Jun 3, 2002
    This was a good move...don't listen to critics.
  4. AliciaL.
    Jun 11, 2002
    Screw the critics! This movie is amazing and one of my absolute faves! I love everything about it...from the birth of the "Wal-Mart Baby" to Novelie finding that her true love was right in front of her the whole time. It is a splendid twist of comedy and drama and is a definite must see!!!
  5. Sep 5, 2010
    This is one of Natalie Portman's best movies. However,it is a little silly. But I still highly recommend you see it. The soundtrack is great too. Don't miss it.
  6. SimpsonS.
    Jun 6, 2002
    Quite a good movie - a very good book. I do enjoy some of the things changed for the movie. the acting was quite good, much better than average (which usually is pretty bad). I bought the movie. I enjoyed it, will watch it again.
  7. Lamar
    Jun 1, 2002
    I like it. The whole idea of a movie is to escape from the realities of life. So to all those of you who say it unrealic and doesn't portray reality, i say who cares? Thats the point. Until you can make a better movie - shut up!
  8. AmberC.
    May 2, 2004
    I think that this movie is one of my favorite movies of all time. Just the way the characters played it out. They were absolutley perfect. I cry at the end almost every time when I watch it. Especially at the wedding at the end. It was a very sweet movie. I suggest this movie to everyone.
  9. Tonya
    Jun 10, 2001
    It's one of the best movies. I don't see why people don't like it.
  10. Bailey
    Oct 24, 2002
    I truly loved this movie! being a girl i can realate to this movie. i feel like this is more of a chic flick and maybe thats why the critics didnt like it that much because it wasnt just a movie that anyone would like. but i really enjoyed it and watched it alot and everytime cried. it was very touching :)
  11. SFrances
    Jan 6, 2002
    The film tells adequately the story of the heroine's journey to trust and love toward/with others, yet lacks in portraying her inner evolution and development within. A partial solution is the inclusion in the film of a key episode from the novel regarding the turning point of the excillerating affirmation of her calling and her transforming perfection as an artist (photography). The film tells adequately the story of the heroine's journey to trust and love toward/with others, yet lacks in portraying her inner evolution and development within. A partial solution is the inclusion in the film of a key episode from the novel regarding the turning point of the excillerating affirmation of her calling and her transforming perfection as an artist (photography). This episode includes a brush with a culture other than her own (Native American), as did her introduction to this art form (African American). The developed contact/interraction with these people would also add depth and insight. The film scene substituted for the photography success episode pales in comparison to the novelist's in both meaning and dramatic impact. (Perhaps logistics and budget prevented a more full rendering of the story...) Expand
  12. MalloryC.
    Jun 25, 2002
    I thought that this movie was amazing. I think that the crtics were wrong when they said it sucked. I found in very good, and I enjoy watching it over and over.
  13. Maddie
    Aug 27, 2002
    I thought this movie was very good at character building. Novalee changed from a foolish young girl to a responsible mother. Even her friend Lexie makes some improvement. All in all I loved this movie so much that the morning after i saw it i got up and watched it again. A wonderful movie!
  14. EricaL.
    Aug 13, 2005
    This movie may not be 100% realistic, but it doesn't need to be. the fundamental aspects in this movie ring true in real life. One of my favorite movies.
  15. CheznaG.
    Dec 4, 2003
    I absolutely loved this movie.. if u think this movie is highly unlikely then u need to spend a few years in my hometown in northern Illinois! Every teenage girl there is pregnant in a similar situation.. yes some of the heroic actions made by Forny are far fetched... but it follows the reality of what a young girl in a SMALL town goes though.. The last time i visited my hometown 5 of myI absolutely loved this movie.. if u think this movie is highly unlikely then u need to spend a few years in my hometown in northern Illinois! Every teenage girl there is pregnant in a similar situation.. yes some of the heroic actions made by Forny are far fetched... but it follows the reality of what a young girl in a SMALL town goes though.. The last time i visited my hometown 5 of my once close friends were pregnant or already had kids. I've heard many say the tornado was unlikely.. not if i remember where the movie took place at.. even in northern Illinois having such a tornado isn't impossible. This movie lifted my heart and proved that a young woman CAN do it on her own! Expand

A swamp of clichés, contrivances, and cheap ham-and-cheese hero sentimentality.
    Home may be where the heart is, but I kept wishing this poor silly girl would up and move.
  3. Never really feels right.