Where the Wild Things Are

6.5

1. Jun 12, 2016
    Where the Wild Things Are, as a picture book, certainly allows for itself to be played with and altered quite a bit. Though director Spike Jonze obviously incorporates all elements from the book, he instills his own world view and experiences upon the book. The end result is a truly passionate and stirring look at childhood and a young boy dealing with many issues (abandonment, lack ofWhere the Wild Things Are, as a picture book, certainly allows for itself to be played with and altered quite a bit. Though director Spike Jonze obviously incorporates all elements from the book, he instills his own world view and experiences upon the book. The end result is a truly passionate and stirring look at childhood and a young boy dealing with many issues (abandonment, lack of empathy, etc) but through his interactions with these beasts, he learns how to improve himself. Impressively scripted and told, Where the Wild Things Are is a truly imaginative and inspired take on Maurice Sendak's famed children's book. That said, it is likely not a children's movie. A few sequences are quite scary and the amount of adult emotion and reflections on childhood will likely go over many children's heads. That said, I loved this one. The star here is Spike Jonze who really crafts a truly personal film here and this is quite apparent in his gentle handling of the film. Overall, though not a children's movie, Where the Wild Things Are is a very good realization of a staple of many's childhood. Expand
  2. Mar 20, 2016
    Where the Wild Things Are may be the first family film in recent memory to rely not on narrative or character development but on ideas and the director's vision. The result is an involving experience for all but the most fidgety children and an opportunity for parents to enjoy (rather than endure) a motion picture with their offspring. For director Spike Jonze, this represents a "petWhere the Wild Things Are may be the first family film in recent memory to rely not on narrative or character development but on ideas and the director's vision. The result is an involving experience for all but the most fidgety children and an opportunity for parents to enjoy (rather than endure) a motion picture with their offspring. For director Spike Jonze, this represents a "pet project" and it turns out better than is often the case when a filmmaker is too close to the source material. There are problems, but they are mostly minor and do little to detract from Where the Wild Things Are's effectiveness as a 2009 answer to The Wizard of Oz.

The movie's plot is minimal; it's more about changes to Max's worldview than anything physical. Much of what happens on the island concentrates on his interactions with the various creatures he encounters there. It's here that things tend to meander as the dramatic momentum flags. In adapting Maurice Sendak's illustrated book, Jonze was forced to expand the canvas significantly, and this leads to some narrative and pacing issues during the midsection. Dorothy's journey along the Yellow Brick Road explores many of the same ideas with a tighter focus. Jonze also fashions a level of separation between Max and the audience, creating situations in which the intellectual resonance is stronger than the emotional one. One doesn't feel invested in Max's adventure in a way that would elevate this story to the high level achieved by the best children's story adaptation of recent years, A Bridge to Terabithia.

The central relationship on the island is between Max and the giant Carol (whose voice is provided by James Gandolfini). Carol, for lack of a better term, represents Max's soul: a need for friendship and unconditional love coupled with the capacity for destruction. By coming to terms with Carol, Max learns to understand himself and, most importantly, the trauma he has been causing his mother. Another important friendship develops between Max and the nurturing KW (voice of Lauren Ambrose), who represents the aspect of Max we see early in the movie when he curls up by his mother's feet.

The creature design is an incredible feat of imagination, evoking with near-flawless effectiveness the illustrations in Sendak's book. The Wild Things provide the impression of muppets and Big Bird (not surprising considering the involvement of Jim Henson's Creature Shop), but not in a cartoony way. They are the kinds of giant puppets that Sid and Marty Krofft would have used in H.R. Pufnstuf given the technology and budget. As "cute" as they sometimes appear, they are capable of generating an aura of menace. When Carol becomes enraged, there's nothing cuddly about him. The importance of getting the look of the Wild Things right should not be underestimated, since the film's success relies on this. Jonez and his team find the right balance between three-dimensional embodiments of the book's creatures and entities that work in the context of a live-action motion picture.

Where the Wild Things Are is Jonze's third feature length motion picture (he is probably still best known for his music videos). The sense of visual imagination one has come to expect based on Being John Malkovich and Adaptation (both written by Charlie Kaufman) is fulfilled here. This movie is nothing if not an embodiment of Jonze's flair and style. Most importantly, it fulfills the #1 criterion of any family film: it involves viewers of all ages on different levels. Children will react viscerally (both positively and negatively, with delight and fear) to the creatures, pre-teens and young teens will connect with Max and instinctively relate to his experiences, and adults will recognize the allegorical nature of the experience and enjoy it for what it is. This is probably the best family film since Disney's Up, and one of the most visually interesting pictures of the year. Whether or not it's a big success during its theatrical run, this is the kind of movie people will be watching for years to come at home.
  3. Jan 17, 2016
    I just watched this with my 9.5 year and we were both transfixed for different reasons. It was a great discussion starter around how to deal with really big feelings, the messiness of relationships and tapping into feelings in general. 24 hours later, we are both still processing it. It's a quiet movie. Lots of introspection. But it's nice not being told what to think or feel and to justI just watched this with my 9.5 year and we were both transfixed for different reasons. It was a great discussion starter around how to deal with really big feelings, the messiness of relationships and tapping into feelings in general. 24 hours later, we are both still processing it. It's a quiet movie. Lots of introspection. But it's nice not being told what to think or feel and to just be in the moment. It wasn't what either of us expected - and that's what made it so intriguing. Enjoy this but be prepared to to discuss with children. Expand
  4. Mar 31, 2015
    Where The Wild Things Are is a very interesting achievement which will go down as one of the most intriguing and original children's adaptations in recent memory. While not everything about the story or its execution is entirely satisfying, Jonze deserves a lot of credit for capturing the mood and tone of Sendak's story, and for his realization of the titular creatures. Whether as aWhere The Wild Things Are is a very interesting achievement which will go down as one of the most intriguing and original children's adaptations in recent memory. While not everything about the story or its execution is entirely satisfying, Jonze deserves a lot of credit for capturing the mood and tone of Sendak's story, and for his realization of the titular creatures. Whether as a playful exploration of a child's imagination or a complex Freudian journey, it is something that remain with you for a very long time. Expand
  5. Nov 28, 2014
    this film make me laughing at Start till' end .. Spike Jonze Oscar Winner is Brilliant!! Different story and Fresh. Dan yang tidak kalah pentingnya adalah bagaimana cerita di dalam film ini juga menunjukan urgensi rasa kasih sayang dan kepedulian yang ada dalam keluarga. Max memang digambarkan sebagai seorang anak yang kesepian dan pemarah, tapi petualangan yang dilalui Max telah membukathis film make me laughing at Start till' end .. Spike Jonze Oscar Winner is Brilliant!! Different story and Fresh. Dan yang tidak kalah pentingnya adalah bagaimana cerita di dalam film ini juga menunjukan urgensi rasa kasih sayang dan kepedulian yang ada dalam keluarga. Max memang digambarkan sebagai seorang anak yang kesepian dan pemarah, tapi petualangan yang dilalui Max telah membuka matanya dan membawanya kembali ke pelukan penuh kasih ibunya. Bagaimana ceritanya? Silakan ditonton sendiri. Jangan lupa mengajak anak atau keponakan saat menonton film ini karena nilai moral dalam film ini begitu penting untuk ditanamkan dalam diri mereka. Expand
  6. Sep 1, 2014
    Oh boy! I don't know what to say about this awful and really boring movie
    .The little boy is a terrible actor and the movie is not funny or depressing or whatever,he's just boring.
  7. Aug 15, 2014
    A mind numbingly boring story with a stupid premise , the only redemption this film has is the special effects and costumes , and even then they are not that great.
  8. Jun 29, 2014
    By far the worst movie I have ever watched even worse than Romeo and Juliet: Sealed with a Kiss. The story line, actors, and everything was infinity times worse than the book. Max seemed so dumb I wanted to whack him with a stick to get back to his poor mother. This movie shouldn't even be shown to children.
  9. May 13, 2014
    Childhood redeemed!

I've never thought i see this book in the big screens considering how little content the original had. The author must of had alot of imagination to turn such few words into such a fantasy driven movie.
  10. Jan 5, 2014
    Where the Wild Things Are is probably my favorite children's book of all time. The movie is just as soulful as it's source material. It's guaranteed to make any parent weep uncontrollably (much like the first time they read their child the book). This is about as good a movie as could have been made from the slender tome. Excellent stuff.
  11. Dec 19, 2013
    No doubt this is not for everyone, when you begin to understand all that you see, the universe is the saddest and most beautiful possible thing you can imagine, the mind of a Child, here, is so powerful, sad, depressed, but never without love.
  12. Nov 8, 2013
    This movie was absolute garbage. It ruined the book for me. Which was my favorite bedtime story to read when i was 6. No nostalgia, just garbage. Very eerie for some reason and very dark. I was actually scared of the monsters. Max is a complete baby. Annoying character. And what happened when his room turned into the forest?!?! Instead he runs away cuz he bites his mom or something.This movie was absolute garbage. It ruined the book for me. Which was my favorite bedtime story to read when i was 6. No nostalgia, just garbage. Very eerie for some reason and very dark. I was actually scared of the monsters. Max is a complete baby. Annoying character. And what happened when his room turned into the forest?!?! Instead he runs away cuz he bites his mom or something. Whatever dont watch this movie. Expand
  13. Sep 7, 2013
    Slow pacing does not hinder this enchanting movie, a story so innocent and at the same time so dangerous one cannot help but wonder if director Spike Jonze is secretly a ten years old kid. The integration between costumes and CGI looks beautiful the Wild Things show real emotions and are never clumsy. At one point the movie starts going nowhere, but its delicate allegories and interestingSlow pacing does not hinder this enchanting movie, a story so innocent and at the same time so dangerous one cannot help but wonder if director Spike Jonze is secretly a ten years old kid. The integration between costumes and CGI looks beautiful the Wild Things show real emotions and are never clumsy. At one point the movie starts going nowhere, but its delicate allegories and interesting look keep the attention up. Soundtrack is spot-on. Expand
  14. Aug 1, 2013
    I'm not sure what exactly to make of the meaning behind all those beautiful images. The center to me seems to be the portrait of childhood imagination, the boundless energy and freedom of play. But the magic is marred by a conservative guitar-soundtrack that reminds us of the mundane, uncreative rituals of adults. In passages, the film plays like a commercial because of the overlyI'm not sure what exactly to make of the meaning behind all those beautiful images. The center to me seems to be the portrait of childhood imagination, the boundless energy and freedom of play. But the magic is marred by a conservative guitar-soundtrack that reminds us of the mundane, uncreative rituals of adults. In passages, the film plays like a commercial because of the overly pleasing music. It just destroyed the atmosphere and magic for me. The child acted like a child acting like a child, as if his subconsciousness was constantly aware that it was all theater. Real kids are supposed to be more fully 'into it', a state of mind nailed pretty well in some other films. The monsters had voices of standard human bodies, although being much bigger than humans. In a movie that plays all-in on atmosphere, those mistakes are deal-breakers. If you have a special interest in childhood psychology, I guess its a relevant movie, but I doubt you'll come away from it much wiser. I had high expectations for some movie magic and the movie didn't deliver. Only partly, in the sometimes grand scale of the images. I want to give extra points for originality, but it was based on a book, so in fact its a very conservative vision based on an original book. Expand
  15. Jun 16, 2013
    A fun emotional adaptation of a beloved children's book. I loved how the connection between Max and these creatures with the feelings of loneliness and anger. Plus the fantastic music by Karen O.
  16. Mar 26, 2013
    Now, yes. Many people.. are going to disagree with me, go ahead, hate me. I don't like this movie. I DESPISE THIS MOVIE!!! This is just too dark, too dark (by this part, I mean literally, JUST LOOK AT THE BACKGROUND PEOPLE!!!), and what is pretty much one of the worst costumes on a person for a kids movie, this movie is unappealing and is too dark for a children's movie. And I wanted toNow, yes. Many people.. are going to disagree with me, go ahead, hate me. I don't like this movie. I DESPISE THIS MOVIE!!! This is just too dark, too dark (by this part, I mean literally, JUST LOOK AT THE BACKGROUND PEOPLE!!!), and what is pretty much one of the worst costumes on a person for a kids movie, this movie is unappealing and is too dark for a children's movie. And I wanted to give it a chance, because when I was a little kid (or even a baby), this was one one of my favourite books, and you people are giving me this, how disgraceful. Collapse
  17. Aug 17, 2012
    A stunning, emotional , well acted and written movie. Although im glad many others give it a 10 i would disagree with any that state it not a childrens movie. Its for everyone that is or has ever been a child, and certainly some children ( just like the " adults " hear giving well thought out 0 reviews ) will find it boring but some will love it. It has a certain look like no other film .A stunning, emotional , well acted and written movie. Although im glad many others give it a 10 i would disagree with any that state it not a childrens movie. Its for everyone that is or has ever been a child, and certainly some children ( just like the " adults " hear giving well thought out 0 reviews ) will find it boring but some will love it. It has a certain look like no other film . Everyone has differnt opinions on everything in life so dont listen to the ( incorrect ) bad review....know what your getting into and just watch it. U could be missing out on one of your new favs :) Expand
  18. Aug 13, 2012
    A beautiful movie that perfectly captures the essence of the classic tale. Masterful puppetry. Anyone who appreciates the original book will no doubt realize how great this movie is.
  19. Mar 22, 2012
    The book is my all-time favorite children's story and still holds up as a wonderful tale well into my adulthood. So forgive me if I take it a little personally when (the normally competent and entertaining) Spike Jonze comes along and turns it into a complete bore. On top of being a snoozer, the world of the Wild Things is as stale and spartan as you can get... the complete opposite ofThe book is my all-time favorite children's story and still holds up as a wonderful tale well into my adulthood. So forgive me if I take it a little personally when (the normally competent and entertaining) Spike Jonze comes along and turns it into a complete bore. On top of being a snoozer, the world of the Wild Things is as stale and spartan as you can get... the complete opposite of the lush world created by Maurice Sendak. There are also moments of scariness that I don't believe young children should see despite it's questionable PG rating. So yeah, it's a kids' movie that's unsuitable for younger kids. Good call on that one, Spike. Altogether a huge, thudding disappointment that I would like to say would have Mr. Sendak rolling in his grave... except he's still alive... and he has a producer credit in the film. So an unfortunate big thumbs down to one of my literary heroes. :(.... Expand
  20. Oct 28, 2011
    It is rubbish, I'm sorry to people that liked it but I really didn't enjoy the film. I was looking forward to going to see the film at the cinema but I was really dissapointed, I am a fan of the book but it isn't based on the book at all. I really disliked it.
  21. Oct 8, 2011
    "Where the Wild Things Are" is a movie campier than its original book source, but director Spike Jonze successfully transfers the unbiased, pure perspective of a child (Max) to the audience.
  22. Sep 28, 2011
    You might think that because of this movie is based on a book for kids, this movies is also for kids or is the same than the book, but no, this movie talks about grow up and all the process of maduration, is a great job and a has a fantastic development and the camera work is excellent
  23. Sep 14, 2011
    A beautiful recreation the book by Maurice Sendak in which the story is develop in a deeper way with a conflict that connect with real life, even when the characters are monsters. If you think this a movie for children, then you're wrong. Just see it and learn about life.
  24. Jun 27, 2011
    Film maker Spike Jonze directs a magical, surreal, visually astonishing film version of Maurice Sendak's celebrated classic exploring the joyous and wild rumpus of the time and place we call childhood.
  25. Apr 9, 2011
    I enjoyed the movie. Good voice work and the young boy did a good job. The graphics were pretty good. But it was not as good as the book. It won't "ruin" the book for you, but don't watch this before you read the book to yourself or your kid.
  26. Feb 6, 2011
    This was nowhere near as brilliant as it could have been. It was severely flawed in it's lead character, Max, who most of the time came across as selfish and rude, but never really changed throughout the film. The creature effects were well done and there were a few memorable scenes, but overall it was a bit of limp adaptation. That being said, considering what Spike Jonze had to workThis was nowhere near as brilliant as it could have been. It was severely flawed in it's lead character, Max, who most of the time came across as selfish and rude, but never really changed throughout the film. The creature effects were well done and there were a few memorable scenes, but overall it was a bit of limp adaptation. That being said, considering what Spike Jonze had to work with, pulling a half decent movie from it was impressive. Expand
  27. Feb 2, 2011
    In one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen, everything is done right. The performance by the lead boy is fantastic and heart-wrenching, as he portrays fear, despair, affection, and so many others on levels that far precede his years. He deserved far more critical acclaim than he was given. Spike Jonze's direction is nothing short of breathtaking, as he brings the subtle hints atIn one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen, everything is done right. The performance by the lead boy is fantastic and heart-wrenching, as he portrays fear, despair, affection, and so many others on levels that far precede his years. He deserved far more critical acclaim than he was given. Spike Jonze's direction is nothing short of breathtaking, as he brings the subtle hints at deeper meanings that were in the original book to the surface with amazing grace. The "Wild Things" were each brilliantly constructed, portraying different emotional issues while retaining the idea that the family group is necessary and needed, and with hard work and mutual love, it can be attained. The dark look of the film only serves to enhance these ideas, complicated and saddening while allowing, every once in a while, for a glimmer of light and hope to shine through. I doubt that a children's book adaptation will ever be made into a film of such beauty and intelligence again; at least not in my life time. It ranks with the other masterpieces of cinema that are now considered the best of all time. Genius, adult, intelligent, tear-jerking brilliance. The Oscars completely snubbed this gem. Expand
  28. Jan 20, 2011
    WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE
    WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE
    Everybody has a childhood fantasy. Thiz film reminds us how to be a child, where we can escape into our own world. It comes from a Maurice Sendak famous fable, the story told about a little boy who one night had a conflict with his mom. He ran away from home. On his solitude, he lived on his own fantasy, interacted with the characters he made up, and found himself the meaning of life. The movie directed by Eccentric Music Video Director, Spike Jonze. Jonze directed many famous musicians like: Björk, Beastie Boys, Fatboy Slim, etc., which my favorite is Fatboy Slim WEAPON OF CHOICE. His honorable directing credits are BEING JOHN MALKOVICH (1999) and ADAPTATION (2002). Thiz movie take us to a child point of view, which is simple and naïve. I always like Jonze hand-held camera technique. It is very dynamic and effective to describe the surrealism on every of his movies. The boy perfectly casts by Max Records. The boy monster friends voiced by many well-known Actors, like: James Gandolfini, Forest Whitaker, Paul Dano, Chris Cooper, etc. and the other Casts are Mark Rufallo and Catherine Keener as his mom. In the beginning, I had hesitancy that the monsters will be appeared too scary based on original concept. But after I watched it, actually the monsters were very loveable and funny. The best scene I like the most is throwing dirt scene. The scores and soundtracks were also very supporting every scene on thiz movie. In overall, It is not a perfect movie for children, but it is a must-seen thoughtful movie for all of us as an adult.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  29. Dec 18, 2010
    This is the most unrelentingly depressing film I have seen in decades. The producers have completely missed the point of the charming and whimsical book on which it it based and created a film that is very disappointing. Perhaps those who have given good reviews have not read and loved Maurice Sendak's original version--but for anyone who has read this to children at bedtime, the filmThis is the most unrelentingly depressing film I have seen in decades. The producers have completely missed the point of the charming and whimsical book on which it it based and created a film that is very disappointing. Perhaps those who have given good reviews have not read and loved Maurice Sendak's original version--but for anyone who has read this to children at bedtime, the film version is a total failure and major disappointment. Expand
  30. Nov 2, 2010
    If you are a fan of this book, or if your kids are just now becoming fans of the book, please do not let them watch this movie, it will ruin the book for them. This movie does no justice to it. The only way you could watch this movie and maybe enjoy it a bit is if you had nothing better to do and you rented this movie. Otherwise stay way.
  31. Oct 19, 2010
    A beautiful work of cinematic art, although with its flaws. Although it does seem to take itself a tad bit too seriously, it makes up for it in its ability to portray the inner-workings of a childs' mind. Their escape into the world of fantasy to keep from facing reality and the redolent fear of changing is evident. It's certainly not a movie to see with the children, despite the deceptiveA beautiful work of cinematic art, although with its flaws. Although it does seem to take itself a tad bit too seriously, it makes up for it in its ability to portray the inner-workings of a childs' mind. Their escape into the world of fantasy to keep from facing reality and the redolent fear of changing is evident. It's certainly not a movie to see with the children, despite the deceptive marketing done. I adored it, personally, and I completely understand those that don't. It's a hard tale to grasp, and also some people just don't like that kind of movie. But I always grew up with people telling me I was a somewhat strange, so maybe that's what drew me to this strange movie. The camera-work was different and gave it a more realistic feel, the lead, who also is named Max, was very good considering how irritable I am when it comes to child actors. Over-all, a wonderful and somewhat hollow (in a good way) film. I suggest it to those who are up for the challenge. Expand
  32. Aug 30, 2010
    There is comfort in having a small number of people elevated in one's opinion. For any thinking person that number is never very large. It is very disheartening when one of that number plummets in our esteem. And, in this case, in such a way. It was a betrayal from someone I have held in this position from my youngest days. Where the Wild Things Are was art, and there was a magic to thatThere is comfort in having a small number of people elevated in one's opinion. For any thinking person that number is never very large. It is very disheartening when one of that number plummets in our esteem. And, in this case, in such a way. It was a betrayal from someone I have held in this position from my youngest days. Where the Wild Things Are was art, and there was a magic to that story in particular. And he lied right to me. I was extremely dubious when I heard it was being made into a full length live action film. But I heard good reviews, and I saw the man himself interviewed, and as incredulous as I normally am (How can you tell when someone is lying? Their lips are moving.), he seemed sincere when he said the film faithfully captured the spirit of the book.

Shall I catalog how the film missed the essence of every single character in the book? Not only missed, made them the opposite of what their nature was. Max was not a wild, nearly psychotic child. He was not having gleeful snowball fights. He was a lonely, isolated boy who was neglected by his parents, and that was why he sailed away. He was a normal boy, engaging in normal behavior for a child, to which his mother responded in a disproportionate manner. Her detachment was illustrated in the book by having her always out of sight. She was not an overwhelmed mother doing her best with an out of control child. Now the monsters, who in the book were child-like in spite of their size and power, were, I suppose, sort of depicted in this way. But they weren't bratty, petulant, whiny, spoiled children, one of whom, for some unknown reason, has the voice of a Mafioso. That was as much as I could take; I would not finish the film. I suppose Roald Dahl would have had a similar impact if he had allowed that Tim Burton abomination to have been created, and then said right to my face that if was a faithful adaptation. Whoever the rights to that story passed to after his death should be ashamed of themselves, but I choose to believe that Roald would not have sold out in that manner.

Shame on you, Mr. Sendak.
  33. Aug 16, 2010
    A sad experience, one that made me feel about myself rather than enjoying the innocence of youth. There's not enough story to carry a full movie, and the wild things seem more like reality show characters bickering amongst themselves rather than fantasy creatures. I was excited for this film, mainly because the story is brilliant and Jonze is very good, but I was sorely disappointed.
  34. Bren
    Apr 26, 2010
    This movie was an unfocused, boring mess. Just because the director backlights practically every shot does not make it emotionally profound nor does it support any filmic metatexts. Key problems: 1. The monsters have regular adult voices, and these voices are used for complaining all the time thus crushing any form of escapism 2. Max is too old to be behaving like a 4 year old- he comes This movie was an unfocused, boring mess. Just because the director backlights practically every shot does not make it emotionally profound nor does it support any filmic metatexts. Key problems: 1. The monsters have regular adult voices, and these voices are used for complaining all the time thus crushing any form of escapism 2. Max is too old to be behaving like a 4 year old- he comes across as a kid with ADHD 3. The film is incoherent and formless with no building action, climax or resolution- if Warner Bros. wanted an art film, they could have gotten Godard to make it- and better 4. The film is political in the sense that if you don't like it you are vilified as a soulless conservative just because a committee of granola crunching potheads thought they were making a profound film. Don't ever bother watching this film. Read the book instead 40 times in the 101 minutes running time of this adaptation (and I use the term loosely) and it will be time better spent. Expand
  35. LeoL
    Apr 21, 2010
    Overrated slow-paced mess of a film that is dull for adults and children alike. Half my group of friends feel asleep. The moral of the story seems to be that running away and coming back means that bad behaviour is rewarded. Psycho-babble does not a deep film make.
  36. PaulaD
    Apr 19, 2010
    A gem of a movie. It's like an art piece but makes you remember how you thought as kid again.
  37. TedD
    Apr 18, 2010
    I just saw the film, Where the Wild Things Are, last night. There were moments that I really liked in the film but even in those moments I felt frustrated in that the movies main character had never been fully develope much less a sense of exceptionality in his life experience. Even when I tried to appreciate the setting and creation of the wild animals I was aware of my boredom. And as I just saw the film, Where the Wild Things Are, last night. There were moments that I really liked in the film but even in those moments I felt frustrated in that the movies main character had never been fully develope much less a sense of exceptionality in his life experience. Even when I tried to appreciate the setting and creation of the wild animals I was aware of my boredom. And as to the insights into childhood, I found those self-indulgent. One scene stood out to me. Before running away, the boy stands on the kitchen table saying "Feed me woman" and asserts more than he knows only to find that he is more terrified with his mothers remark, "What is wrong with you? Maybe he knows in a post Freudian world living with a single Mom and watching his Mom flirting with her boyfriend. His answer is to set sail and find a new family where he can be King and in becoming King he becomes tamed. I like the insight but a whole film? Expand
  38. Ed
    Apr 16, 2010
    Beautiful, heart wrenching, poignant. I can only assume that those who have chosen to bad mouth this wonderfully original piece of cinema have forgotten what it was like to be a child on the brink of losing your innocence and entering a more serious world. So you people can go see Transformers 2 for the 5th time and let the rest of us bask in the glow of a wonderful film that doesn't Beautiful, heart wrenching, poignant. I can only assume that those who have chosen to bad mouth this wonderfully original piece of cinema have forgotten what it was like to be a child on the brink of losing your innocence and entering a more serious world. So you people can go see Transformers 2 for the 5th time and let the rest of us bask in the glow of a wonderful film that doesn't treat its audience like complete morons. Expand
  39. MarkG
    Apr 10, 2010
    This movie is a creative masterpiece.
  40. VinceS
    Apr 2, 2010
    Anyone who rated this movie above a 2 should seek help! Did Jones even have a script it seems the Actors were thrown on to set and Spike said, Ok say something! They seemed lost thru the whole movie, if Spike Jones would have just stuck to the book it might have been good instead we got this, I want my money back!
  41. AlanG.
    Mar 27, 2010
    A great movie! I can't believe i cried during this. I love it! Spike Jonze is a great director!
  42. LeslieB
    Mar 22, 2010
    The elegant story has a myth power because it doesn't try to explain itself. The film stretches that tiny little bit of material adding neurosis and angst. Where the book was therapeutic and healing, the film seems to need a trip to the shrink.
  43. JamesB.
    Mar 20, 2010
    Pretty weird, but I liked it.
  44. DavidS
    Mar 17, 2010
    First: Why did so many reviewers suggest this might be a kids' movie? It's a kid's movie for your wounded inner child. Spike Jonze said he wanted to capture how it was to be nine years old. Well, he succeeded, and maybe that's why I hate this movie so much. Nine for me meant divorce, yelling parents, separation, uncertainty and anxiety. I read books like "Wild Things" First: Why did so many reviewers suggest this might be a kids' movie? It's a kid's movie for your wounded inner child. Spike Jonze said he wanted to capture how it was to be nine years old. Well, he succeeded, and maybe that's why I hate this movie so much. Nine for me meant divorce, yelling parents, separation, uncertainty and anxiety. I read books like "Wild Things" to imagine a place beyond all that. But the stressful home Max leaves (like mine) is Oz compared to the mopey, violent, joyless land of emo muppets he lands on. There is nothing bright or delightful about this world or this movie and Max is never in command of anything, but always fearful and sad. And yes, that was my nine, but that doesn't mean it makes a good movie. Especially when nothing happens, and for a long time. Masking the misery with indie-star voices and achy hipster tunes doesn't make it gold. "Wild Things" is painful and boring. Expand
  45. Mr.Gone
    Mar 17, 2010
    I think it says something that there is such a large rift in opinions about this movie. Some people regard it as a genius work of child-like art, while others are clearly underwhelmed by the drama. When there are so many 10's from critics and fans, there is also an overabundance of 0s to 4s with many charging that it may be the worst film they've ever seen. I admittedly was not I think it says something that there is such a large rift in opinions about this movie. Some people regard it as a genius work of child-like art, while others are clearly underwhelmed by the drama. When there are so many 10's from critics and fans, there is also an overabundance of 0s to 4s with many charging that it may be the worst film they've ever seen. I admittedly was not the least bit impressed with the lead character, who was not charming or endearing, but quite annoying and rebellious. And, I must reiterate the idea that there doesn't seem to be a clear moral to the story. The kid didn't appear changed or better at the end, just calmer [for the moment], with a nice big slice of chocolate cake as his reward for his retarded (9 year olds don't bite their parents) antics. Furthermore, I'm a bit appalled that so many reputable critics co-sign on the alleged brilliance of this adaptation. I don't see the film being at all successful or appealing to kids. The monsters were depressed, monotone, and lifelessly draped in sun-faded fur. The plot and the characters lacked the animation that would spark the interest of 10 and under movie-goers. And, for adults it was hard to relate. Again, I don't know how many of my friends stood on kitchen tables dressed as their favorite fictional characters in stark rebellion. And once reprimanded, resorted to biting their parents. Maybe, [maybe] at 4. Not 9. It was unrealistic, morally confused, and flat boring. It's definitely an acquired taste, at best and worst. But, with such a compelling need for acquisition, there's absolutely no logical way to justify it as '100' [percent] brilliant. Sorry. Expand
  46. KellyO
    Mar 15, 2010
    The sound track was good other then that this movie was horrible. Here is a quick plotline: Little kid ruins mom's date then runs into woods finds boat goes to other world ruins it then comes back satisfied and forces mom to make him food. It should really be renamed "Land of Depressed Monsters"
  47. BradP
    Mar 15, 2010
    Yawn. A selfish kid full of self-pity goes to an unadventurous island inhabited by lame, unhappy, aimless "things" that are decidedly un-wild. Not sure how such psycho-babble nonsense was derived from the 9-sentence book. The mom's worshipful gazing at the end is repulsive.
  48. SteveC
    Mar 12, 2010
    Torture to watch. Watch the trailer or read the book. Save yourself for the movie.
  49. JeffP
    Mar 9, 2010
    This movie is very heartfelt and had me balling my eyes out at the end. It is way too dark for children, but will take you back to your childhood. I absolutely love this movie. Let your emotions run wild during this film.
  50. MarkW
    Mar 6, 2010
    Kudos to the cinematographers, production designers and Jim Henson's muppet shop, the film looks great. There's just one thing they forgot; a story. The film is so interested in commenting on kids it forgets to entertain them, and the result is a bunch of wild things who sit around and complain a lot and don't do much. Why would any kid imagine a boring world like that? He Kudos to the cinematographers, production designers and Jim Henson's muppet shop, the film looks great. There's just one thing they forgot; a story. The film is so interested in commenting on kids it forgets to entertain them, and the result is a bunch of wild things who sit around and complain a lot and don't do much. Why would any kid imagine a boring world like that? He could have gotten that at home. Expand
  51. Andrew
    Mar 6, 2010
    About as much fund as I would assume a trip to the psychiatrist to be. Quite why this is well reviewed I do not have a clue. Boring and demented.
  52. DamianP
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lots of good songs, lots of anger and lots of no story. Do not punish your kids with this movie - buy them the soundtrack instead.
  53. AaronD
    Mar 2, 2010
    This movie seriously put my whole family to sleep. I have never wanted so badly to walk out of a movie. Wild Things look great, but seeing Tony Soprano in my head every time the main monster spoke drove me nuts. Please do not give any of your money to this mess.
  54. EggyG
    Feb 17, 2010
    I really want to love this movie, just like the book, but just can't. The style, art, effect and music of this film are incredible, very imaginative and lively. The downside are the scary & depressing story, tone and dialogue throughout the film...it's like having a nightmare instead of inspiring children story. Just too bad.
  55. KennethS
    Feb 15, 2010
    It's not like any kid film I've ever seen in my life. The film is emotionally poignant and the ending scene is truly flawless and magnificent. I was touched by Max's journey, and I could feel the hearts of all the animals, each of whom have a unique characteristic. The film, like Matt B said, deals with all kinds of feelings and literally makes you feel insecure and lonely It's not like any kid film I've ever seen in my life. The film is emotionally poignant and the ending scene is truly flawless and magnificent. I was touched by Max's journey, and I could feel the hearts of all the animals, each of whom have a unique characteristic. The film, like Matt B said, deals with all kinds of feelings and literally makes you feel insecure and lonely during the movie. What a wonderful film. Expand
  56. MarkF
    Feb 10, 2010
    Finally after seeing so much meaningless action and drama at the cinema in the last year, there's a movie that I really FELT. And for this movie that so polarises cinema critics and movie-goers, you have to feel it, and I'm glad I did. Certain visual, certain snippets of dialogue were like little shots to the heart and for me that was the brilliant thing, the sense of Finally after seeing so much meaningless action and drama at the cinema in the last year, there's a movie that I really FELT. And for this movie that so polarises cinema critics and movie-goers, you have to feel it, and I'm glad I did. Certain visual, certain snippets of dialogue were like little shots to the heart and for me that was the brilliant thing, the sense of identification with emotions we felt as children and indeed parents. Expand
  57. JoseR.
    Feb 7, 2010
    The ugliest movie i ever seen in my life. i thought nothing can beat "lady in the water" or "futuresport" this sucks big time. It's about a retard kid that thinks he can do whatever he wants. wish that the monsters ate him right away so the film could end early. Boring!
  58. TomM
    Feb 6, 2010
    Best film of 09! It was emotional, deeply profound and very original. Great acting and directing.
  59. MattB
    Jan 18, 2010
    This film is an emotional rollercoaster. Like no film I've seen before, it took back to how it felt to be a young boy. Perhaps not for all kids but definitely for those who don't simply want the good ol' popcorn and candy formula of fun, fun, fun with a happy ending, but like to be taken on a ride somewhere darker and somewhere real. Like Bridge to Terabithia did so This film is an emotional rollercoaster. Like no film I've seen before, it took back to how it felt to be a young boy. Perhaps not for all kids but definitely for those who don't simply want the good ol' popcorn and candy formula of fun, fun, fun with a happy ending, but like to be taken on a ride somewhere darker and somewhere real. Like Bridge to Terabithia did so effectively, this film tackles the feelings of fear and uncertainty, maintaining a challengingly melancholic mood throughout. I'm proud to say my 10 and 5 yr olds were equally moved by this film and I say we need more kids' films like this. Films that confuse, make you think and ultimately bring a truly magical cinematic experience. This one obviously polarizes people. Great, I love it even more! Expand
  60. Magnum
    Jan 17, 2010
    I fell asleep and dreamed I had gone to see Zombieland instead. I really wanted to like it too, it's just that it's so boring.
  61. MaartenH.
    Jan 10, 2010
    Reminded me of my own youth but more creative and sprawling.
  62. AlexD.
    Jan 9, 2010
    The movie is about a kid going to another world and trying to make everything right for them, but fails miserably and goes back home. It was really awful. Nothing even like the book my dad used to read to me when I went to bed at night.
  63. denisem
    Jan 5, 2010
    I had high hopes for this movie. As a mom, the plight of the kid was toooo sad, in the beginning and even throughout the entire film. The scene in which the mom was chasing Max was too real and terrifying, too-and didn't really resolve until too late in the film. It was my understanding the wild things (which max created) were supposed to adore him. This could have had a LOT more I had high hopes for this movie. As a mom, the plight of the kid was toooo sad, in the beginning and even throughout the entire film. The scene in which the mom was chasing Max was too real and terrifying, too-and didn't really resolve until too late in the film. It was my understanding the wild things (which max created) were supposed to adore him. This could have had a LOT more comedic-upbeat stuff in it. It was akin to being at a dinner party in which one of the couples is fighting and everyone then feels their stress and leaves bummed out. This film made me sad and worried about kids and modern families. Expand
  64. EvinC
    Jan 2, 2010
    Good film, but it is so depressing. I still appreciate it for bringing that emotion out in me.
  65. marxmetacritic
    Dec 31, 2009
    This is the worst film I have ever seen. When I got to see this film for free with my imax pass, I thought I was in for a pleasant film, but instead I watched one of my favorite childhood books be smashed to pieces right before my eyes. This film: "Where the Wild Things Are" would be more accurately titled: "Where the Depressed, Overly-Dramatic Emo Maniacs Are. The film stars Max, a "9" This is the worst film I have ever seen. When I got to see this film for free with my imax pass, I thought I was in for a pleasant film, but instead I watched one of my favorite childhood books be smashed to pieces right before my eyes. This film: "Where the Wild Things Are" would be more accurately titled: "Where the Depressed, Overly-Dramatic Emo Maniacs Are. The film stars Max, a "9" year old boy (who appears to be around age 13) who goes insane and assaults his mother one night. His mother tries to get him under control, only to cause him to run down the street in his wolf costume, hide in a forest "yelling I hate you!", destroying things and finally sailing away in a small, bashed up fishing boat. He arrives at an island to meet a group of characters who represent his family and his character traits (anger, sadness, etc.) . He befriends Carol, an emo depressing beast who represents how Max is constantly having tantrums, and soon the beast makes him their "king" (who is mainly just a babysitter in charge of keeping these stupid lugs happy). Everything goes wrong, he ruins their lives, and for some reason they just get happy one day and send him home where he treats everyone just as awful as before. The worst part is, that the film has lots of talk about global issues like global warming and the sun going out, making it hard for a usually positive person like me to stomach it. I no longer want to even look at the book, let alone the film. Don't let this happen to you. Expand
  66. CarolineM
    Dec 28, 2009
    Not at all what I was expecting. When it started I thought I was watching an amateur movie trailer, but no it was the movie. I kept waiting for it to improve, but no again. Except for the creatures, it felt very amateurish. The storyline was minimal and repetitive. The whole thing was a tremendous disappointment.
  67. TiffanyL
    Dec 26, 2009
    We have 4 young children and enjoy going to family movies. My husband and I read and loved "Where the Wild Things Are" as children, and our kids have enjoyed it too. Unfortunately, this movie does not live up to the simple magic of the book. It was violent and the Wild Things were horribly sarcastic and depressed. They sounded like a bad "All in the Family" re-run. It was so bad that we We have 4 young children and enjoy going to family movies. My husband and I read and loved "Where the Wild Things Are" as children, and our kids have enjoyed it too. Unfortunately, this movie does not live up to the simple magic of the book. It was violent and the Wild Things were horribly sarcastic and depressed. They sounded like a bad "All in the Family" re-run. It was so bad that we almost left in the middle--only staying to see if it redeemed itself. It did not. I wouldn't even recommend this movie for a $1 Redbox rental. The one bright spot is the boy who plays Max is a great little actor. I disliked this movie so much that I'm speculating the pro critics who gave it "100" were paid off. Expand
  68. AdamP
    Dec 23, 2009
    A great mix of realism and fantasy and also a fine study on child psychology. I loved it - the bad user reviews on here look like they were written by the 9 year olds they took to see the film. Says it all really.
  69. PB
    Dec 21, 2009
    Fantastic. there is little else to say about a film that brings back so many memories of my childhood and portrays them on screen in such an adult and surprisingly dark way. A film for anyone who has ever gone through their parents divorce, ever run away from home for a day, ever ruined their siblings things out of anger, ever wanted to live in a world of their own. One of my favourite Fantastic. there is little else to say about a film that brings back so many memories of my childhood and portrays them on screen in such an adult and surprisingly dark way. A film for anyone who has ever gone through their parents divorce, ever run away from home for a day, ever ruined their siblings things out of anger, ever wanted to live in a world of their own. One of my favourite films of the decade, I highly recommend it. Expand
  70. PeteW
    Dec 20, 2009
    I was eager to see this movie and left the cinema quite angry. How could Jonze delete a crucial part of the story - the forest growing in the bedroom. There was nothing endearing about Max and what was with the robot dance?? One of the worst movies I've ever seen. 1 point for the soundtrack.
  71. StuartC.
    Dec 20, 2009
    Easily one of my favorite films of the year, and possibly the decade. A beautifully constructed tale of childhood, told in a majestic way by Jonze. A masterful combination of CGI and real costumes and locations allows for a greater emotional impact, bringing the Wild Things out of the pages and into our hearts. Fantastic Film 10/10.
  72. PatrickC
    Dec 17, 2009
    For lack of strong dialogue, angry and lonely animals with all that derived from just being bored makes for an awful movie. Even if this wasn't "Where the wild things are" it would still have made for a bad movie in general. The soundtrack, costume design was good, but once again, if that was the highlight of any movie, then it's a terrible movie. It varies greatly from the For lack of strong dialogue, angry and lonely animals with all that derived from just being bored makes for an awful movie. Even if this wasn't "Where the wild things are" it would still have made for a bad movie in general. The soundtrack, costume design was good, but once again, if that was the highlight of any movie, then it's a terrible movie. It varies greatly from the book, a 10 minute book mind you, you can't turn that into a 100 minute movie when every second page has only 2-3 sentences. Max's claustrophobia early introduced had me worried every time he was in danger from the other inhabitants, especially overbearing strength. Finally Carol's 'development' was nothing short of miraculous at the end, which at best one could say "Only in Hollywood...". Expand
  73. JoeM
    Dec 16, 2009
    I enjoyed this film but I wanted to love it. It is filmed very well and the acting is good, but the movie is just too long considering its short and simple source material.. It should have only been 80-90 mins tops.
  74. NickF
    Dec 14, 2009
    How to make a 425 word book into a movie.... inject a lot of weird awkward pauses and random pointless events. How to get chocolate cake, Bit your mother and run off for a few days to a strange world, when things go bad take a boat back without addressing any problems.
  75. tabithap
    Dec 12, 2009
    This film is pure, pure magic, and anyone who disagrees needs to think long and hard about what life was like when they were six and confined only by the limits of their imagination
  76. JoelH
    Dec 11, 2009
    For all you people complaining about the movie because you brought kids to it, did you even see the previews before you went? As for me, I got what I expected and enjoyed the movie very much.
  77. MichaelB
    Dec 6, 2009
    Boring is one word to describe this movie. There are some slightly fun elements but everything is ruined by the story line which is lacking completely... it's just made up of disjointed ideas. The way the movie looks visually is amazing, but underneath the makeup there's really nothing of value that will stay with you, it just feels hollow on the substance front. It's a Boring is one word to describe this movie. There are some slightly fun elements but everything is ruined by the story line which is lacking completely... it's just made up of disjointed ideas. The way the movie looks visually is amazing, but underneath the makeup there's really nothing of value that will stay with you, it just feels hollow on the substance front. It's a movie that kids won't understand or like and a movie that will leave adults disappointed thanks to the undeserved hype. At least the soundtrack is good, if you're a fan of Karen O and the 'Yeah Yeah Yeahs' you're probably going to be satisfied by the soundtrack rather than the movie. Expand
  78. KrisT
    Dec 3, 2009
    I loved this film. It really searches and finds that inner-child of yours just waiting to be released. Max was great and is truly the most adorable twelve year old ever. The film is amazing and deserves it's rating by far.
  79. JohnS
    Nov 29, 2009
    Total waste of time & money. Kids 8 and 11 hated it. Do not go see this movie.
  80. Brandon
    Nov 26, 2009
    Nothing like the book at all....plus, this whole idea of this being a movie "in the mind of a 9 y.o." is bs. Maybe as a spoiled brat of a 9 y.o. you could think like this...those of us who were disciplined as children and raised to respect others don't....it's just an unrealistic movie.
  81. NickL
    Nov 14, 2009
    I watched this sober. That was a mistake. The only good part of this movie was the soundtrack. Boooooring.
  82. emilyd
    Nov 13, 2009
    Visually beautiful, but that is really all I can say positively. I was with a 12 and a 9 year old and we left the theatre baffled and drained... not for kids. I loved the book as a kid! what a shame!!!
  83. tylerw
    Nov 12, 2009
    Virtually impossible to take seriously from about 15 minutes in. boring as all hell, a dialogue movie with the cast made up in furry suits. absolutely no story other than some divorce lurking in the background, and some disgruntled furries who hate each other for no other reason than boredom. then, an emotional deus ex machina ending. truly awful.
  84. BenjaminH
    Nov 11, 2009
    I finally watched this movie today being it was one of my favorite books as a kid. First off let me say this if you are into movies like "Transformers", or "Fast and Furious" type stuff this movie will be boring and you will hate it. It is also not really a kids movie, even though you can take them, there is a good chance that they will not get it or understand it, as the same with most I finally watched this movie today being it was one of my favorite books as a kid. First off let me say this if you are into movies like "Transformers", or "Fast and Furious" type stuff this movie will be boring and you will hate it. It is also not really a kids movie, even though you can take them, there is a good chance that they will not get it or understand it, as the same with most adults. Now that I have got that out of the way, this is one of the deepest movies I have seen in a long time. It is not a kids movie, but a movie about a kid and his personality, imagination, and most importantly his emotions, both good and bad. Honestly this is the best movie I think I have seen in years, it captures being a kid better than any movie I have ever seen and is brutally truthful at times, it leaves you walking away with a feeling of sadness I have had many times since child hood but kind of ignored until now. Please go watch this movie if you like things like this, it is different than what most people think, but stay away if you are into gimmmicky special effects and fast paced action, this will not be the movie for you. Expand
  85. alecf
    Nov 9, 2009
    The monsters were very depressing and emo. i felt very aqward watching this movie, it was dark and depressing but the characters are like a bunch of barnys. another problem is that nothing really happens throughout the movie and at the end i was left feeling like i must have had accidentally slept through most of the movie soon realizing i definatly did not. the only reason why i can give The monsters were very depressing and emo. i felt very aqward watching this movie, it was dark and depressing but the characters are like a bunch of barnys. another problem is that nothing really happens throughout the movie and at the end i was left feeling like i must have had accidentally slept through most of the movie soon realizing i definatly did not. the only reason why i can give this movie a 6 is because the kid in the movie was a pretty good actor and i hope he can land a role in a movie that isnt this mediocre. the main problem is that spike jonzee or what ever his name is tried to get to philosopical when he should have stuck to the books roots and made it into an adventure with a story that isnt absolutley sad and depressing. i also must add that the kids freakouts were very scary and definatly not normal behavior for kids his age, its not the actors fault its probably the directors. i wouldnt recommend this movie to anyone except big fans of the book who will probably be happy just to see their favorite childhood friends in action on the big screen. Expand
  86. MichaelW
    Nov 9, 2009
    This movie was quite amazing! And I suggest it for older kids and adults. I am 17 years old and I loved it. It was quite touching and actually quite sad. The movie has a lot packed into and I'm not sure that this is even a kids movie. The plot is quite good. It's about the wild sides of Max (the main character) and what becomes his dysfunctional family. It is really good and I This movie was quite amazing! And I suggest it for older kids and adults. I am 17 years old and I loved it. It was quite touching and actually quite sad. The movie has a lot packed into and I'm not sure that this is even a kids movie. The plot is quite good. It's about the wild sides of Max (the main character) and what becomes his dysfunctional family. It is really good and I recommend it! Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  87. ZX
    Nov 8, 2009
    Really something different. Suspenseful, scenically and musically beautiful. The kid was spot on. In fact, all the acting was engaging, even as delivered through the scariest Muppets ever.
  88. kent
    Nov 6, 2009
    More for adults than kids. Awfully serious and depressing, especially for kids. Takes patience to watch through, but moving near the end.
  89. SamP
    Nov 6, 2009
    An incredibly solid interpretation of a snippet from boyhood (Jonze's intention in the first place). Anyone putting this movie down for "trying to be philosophical" is an idiot, because the film never does that. It certainly tries to be PSYCOLOGICAL, laying out incredibly blatant symbolism via the wild things; the film succeeds as a strictly psychological narrative. The fact that An incredibly solid interpretation of a snippet from boyhood (Jonze's intention in the first place). Anyone putting this movie down for "trying to be philosophical" is an idiot, because the film never does that. It certainly tries to be PSYCOLOGICAL, laying out incredibly blatant symbolism via the wild things; the film succeeds as a strictly psychological narrative. The fact that many people also find it too "sad" is due to the film's uncanny ability to magnify the problems of a child. The viewer is sad because Max is sad, but when you look at the issues (a neglectful teenage sister, a preoccupied parent) they are temporary experiences of growing up. It's not a very "deep" movie, gang--just different than some may have hoped. Expand
  90. HeatherP
    Nov 4, 2009
    #1 NOT A KID'S MOVIE #2 Violent #3 Destructive #4 Without Resolution #5 Doesn't hold a candle to what happened in my imagination...wish I could erase this movie from my memory!
  91. Sean
    Nov 1, 2009
    I had such high hopes for this movie and was completely let down. I really don't know how all of these critics are giving this movie such high reviews. Was thoroughly disappointed with this movie....
  92. TimB
    Nov 1, 2009
    It's a beautiful film that explores the nature of childhood and imagination to brilliant effect. I think many of the negative reviews come from people too sadly far removed from their own childhoods.
  93. jcherry
    Nov 1, 2009
    Truly Awful...long dreary depressing. I was relieved my four year old fell asleep so as not to ruin one of her favorite books. This movie truly sucked, in ways beyond my humble ability to describe, posing as a hipster film doesn't make it a good movie, just a pretentious one. Spike was waaaaay off the mark with this one!!!!!!
  94. kathyp
    Oct 31, 2009
    Worst movie I've ever seen. Exceedingly dark and depressing; no redeeming value whatsoever. It just depicted a lot of angry venting and selfish behavior. Sadly, they used a popular child's story for a movie that isn't suitable for children.
  95. DWilly
    Oct 30, 2009
    Come on! Seriously. Where the wild things decidedly aren't. The creatures all speak and act like a bunch of glum community college instructors with various levels of bitterness and depression. The script, I have little doubt, was actually written from the ramblings of a nine year old boy; and now all these jackass critics have fallen for it as profound. The meta-joke is on you, Come on! Seriously. Where the wild things decidedly aren't. The creatures all speak and act like a bunch of glum community college instructors with various levels of bitterness and depression. The script, I have little doubt, was actually written from the ramblings of a nine year old boy; and now all these jackass critics have fallen for it as profound. The meta-joke is on you, eggheads. A raccoon named Richard, indeed. This is not art (and it sure as hell isn't for kids). I can go for this kind of stuff when it's done well, and you can see something of this kind done with far and away more talent at just about any video installation at any modern art museum. Nothing's learned, nobody changes, and the final image of the mother (the ever flat and neurotic Katherine keener) watching rapt as her spoiled brat eats chocolate cake says it all. Expand
  96. EricL
    Oct 30, 2009
    This movie was awful and definately not a kids movie. The openng scene with the sister kissing on the couch was unecessary and came without warning for me to prepare my small children. In addition, the disfunctional boy biting his mother and then running away was out of character with the book. The movie truly illustrates bad disfunctional behavior, but does not drive the point for This movie was awful and definately not a kids movie. The openng scene with the sister kissing on the couch was unecessary and came without warning for me to prepare my small children. In addition, the disfunctional boy biting his mother and then running away was out of character with the book. The movie truly illustrates bad disfunctional behavior, but does not drive the point for children to understand why the behavior is unacceptable. THIS IS AN ADULT MOVIE, better suited for those trying to understand the depth and emotions of a disfunctional child!!! Expand
  97. YevgenyV
    Oct 29, 2009
    Very bad, and I am not a fan of the book. The films worst folly is that it's boring. This is a drawn out, pretentious and boring film which possesses an odd, turgid pace, trying to pass itself of as whimsical and philosophic. What. A waste.
  98. RickA
    Oct 29, 2009
    I liked it and found it to be fun and entertaining.
  99. theDUDE
    Oct 29, 2009
    In a nutshell strange movie. I was wondering what the plot to this movie was going to be and about a quarter way through the move I didn't really care. I have no idea why so called movie critics rated this movie so high. maybe they have an interest in the movie such as stock holdings. probubly the worst movie of the year. two thumbs down sucked really bad.
  100. JayrE
    Oct 28, 2009
    Max is autistic.

1. For all the artfulness, the feel of the film is rough-hewn, almost primitive. It’s a fabulous tree house of a movie.
  2. Where the film falters is Jonze and novelist Dave Eggers' adaptation, which fails to invest this world with strong emotions.
    I have a vision of eight-year-olds leaving the movie in bewilderment. Why are the creatures so unhappy? That question doesn’t return a child to safety or anywhere else. Of one thing I am sure: children will be relieved when Max gets away from this anxious crew.