Where the Wild Things Are

6.5

1. Jun 12, 2016
    Where the Wild Things Are, as a picture book, certainly allows for itself to be played with and altered quite a bit. Though director Spike Jonze obviously incorporates all elements from the book, he instills his own world view and experiences upon the book. The end result is a truly passionate and stirring look at childhood and a young boy dealing with many issues (abandonment, lack ofWhere the Wild Things Are, as a picture book, certainly allows for itself to be played with and altered quite a bit. Though director Spike Jonze obviously incorporates all elements from the book, he instills his own world view and experiences upon the book. The end result is a truly passionate and stirring look at childhood and a young boy dealing with many issues (abandonment, lack of empathy, etc) but through his interactions with these beasts, he learns how to improve himself. Impressively scripted and told, Where the Wild Things Are is a truly imaginative and inspired take on Maurice Sendak's famed children's book. That said, it is likely not a children's movie. A few sequences are quite scary and the amount of adult emotion and reflections on childhood will likely go over many children's heads. That said, I loved this one. The star here is Spike Jonze who really crafts a truly personal film here and this is quite apparent in his gentle handling of the film. Overall, though not a children's movie, Where the Wild Things Are is a very good realization of a staple of many's childhood. Expand
  2. Oct 8, 2011
    "Where the Wild Things Are" is a movie campier than its original book source, but director Spike Jonze successfully transfers the unbiased, pure perspective of a child (Max) to the audience.
  3. Jun 16, 2013
    A fun emotional adaptation of a beloved children's book. I loved how the connection between Max and these creatures with the feelings of loneliness and anger. Plus the fantastic music by Karen O.
  4. Sep 1, 2014
    Oh boy! I don't know what to say about this awful and really boring movie
    .The little boy is a terrible actor and the movie is not funny or depressing or whatever,he's just boring.
  5. Jan 5, 2014
    Where the Wild Things Are is probably my favorite children's book of all time. The movie is just as soulful as it's source material. It's guaranteed to make any parent weep uncontrollably (much like the first time they read their child the book). This is about as good a movie as could have been made from the slender tome. Excellent stuff.
  6. Mar 31, 2015
    Where The Wild Things Are is a very interesting achievement which will go down as one of the most intriguing and original children's adaptations in recent memory. While not everything about the story or its execution is entirely satisfying, Jonze deserves a lot of credit for capturing the mood and tone of Sendak's story, and for his realization of the titular creatures. Whether as aWhere The Wild Things Are is a very interesting achievement which will go down as one of the most intriguing and original children's adaptations in recent memory. While not everything about the story or its execution is entirely satisfying, Jonze deserves a lot of credit for capturing the mood and tone of Sendak's story, and for his realization of the titular creatures. Whether as a playful exploration of a child's imagination or a complex Freudian journey, it is something that remain with you for a very long time. Expand
  7. Jun 27, 2011
    Film maker Spike Jonze directs a magical, surreal, visually astonishing film version of Maurice Sendak's celebrated classic exploring the joyous and wild rumpus of the time and place we call childhood.
  8. Jan 20, 2011
    WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE
    WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE
    Everybody has a childhood fantasy. Thiz film reminds us how to be a child, where we can escape into our own world. It comes from a Maurice Sendak famous fable, the story told about a little boy who one night had a conflict with his mom. He ran away from home. On his solitude, he lived on his own fantasy, interacted with the characters he made up, and found himself the meaning of life. The movie directed by Eccentric Music Video Director, Spike Jonze. Jonze directed many famous musicians like: Björk, Beastie Boys, Fatboy Slim, etc., which my favorite is Fatboy Slim WEAPON OF CHOICE. His honorable directing credits are BEING JOHN MALKOVICH (1999) and ADAPTATION (2002). Thiz movie take us to a child point of view, which is simple and naïve. I always like Jonze hand-held camera technique. It is very dynamic and effective to describe the surrealism on every of his movies. The boy perfectly casts by Max Records. The boy monster friends voiced by many well-known Actors, like: James Gandolfini, Forest Whitaker, Paul Dano, Chris Cooper, etc. and the other Casts are Mark Rufallo and Catherine Keener as his mom. In the beginning, I had hesitancy that the monsters will be appeared too scary based on original concept. But after I watched it, actually the monsters were very loveable and funny. The best scene I like the most is throwing dirt scene. The scores and soundtracks were also very supporting every scene on thiz movie. In overall, It is not a perfect movie for children, but it is a must-seen thoughtful movie for all of us as an adult.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  9. Mar 22, 2012
    The book is my all-time favorite children's story and still holds up as a wonderful tale well into my adulthood. So forgive me if I take it a little personally when (the normally competent and entertaining) Spike Jonze comes along and turns it into a complete bore. On top of being a snoozer, the world of the Wild Things is as stale and spartan as you can get... the complete opposite ofThe book is my all-time favorite children's story and still holds up as a wonderful tale well into my adulthood. So forgive me if I take it a little personally when (the normally competent and entertaining) Spike Jonze comes along and turns it into a complete bore. On top of being a snoozer, the world of the Wild Things is as stale and spartan as you can get... the complete opposite of the lush world created by Maurice Sendak. There are also moments of scariness that I don't believe young children should see despite it's questionable PG rating. So yeah, it's a kids' movie that's unsuitable for younger kids. Good call on that one, Spike. Altogether a huge, thudding disappointment that I would like to say would have Mr. Sendak rolling in his grave... except he's still alive... and he has a producer credit in the film. So an unfortunate big thumbs down to one of my literary heroes. :(.... Expand
  10. Mar 20, 2016
    Where the Wild Things Are may be the first family film in recent memory to rely not on narrative or character development but on ideas and the director's vision. The result is an involving experience for all but the most fidgety children and an opportunity for parents to enjoy (rather than endure) a motion picture with their offspring. For director Spike Jonze, this represents a "petWhere the Wild Things Are may be the first family film in recent memory to rely not on narrative or character development but on ideas and the director's vision. The result is an involving experience for all but the most fidgety children and an opportunity for parents to enjoy (rather than endure) a motion picture with their offspring. For director Spike Jonze, this represents a "pet project" and it turns out better than is often the case when a filmmaker is too close to the source material. There are problems, but they are mostly minor and do little to detract from Where the Wild Things Are's effectiveness as a 2009 answer to The Wizard of Oz.

The movie's plot is minimal; it's more about changes to Max's worldview than anything physical. Much of what happens on the island concentrates on his interactions with the various creatures he encounters there. It's here that things tend to meander as the dramatic momentum flags. In adapting Maurice Sendak's illustrated book, Jonze was forced to expand the canvas significantly, and this leads to some narrative and pacing issues during the midsection. Dorothy's journey along the Yellow Brick Road explores many of the same ideas with a tighter focus. Jonze also fashions a level of separation between Max and the audience, creating situations in which the intellectual resonance is stronger than the emotional one. One doesn't feel invested in Max's adventure in a way that would elevate this story to the high level achieved by the best children's story adaptation of recent years, A Bridge to Terabithia.

The central relationship on the island is between Max and the giant Carol (whose voice is provided by James Gandolfini). Carol, for lack of a better term, represents Max's soul: a need for friendship and unconditional love coupled with the capacity for destruction. By coming to terms with Carol, Max learns to understand himself and, most importantly, the trauma he has been causing his mother. Another important friendship develops between Max and the nurturing KW (voice of Lauren Ambrose), who represents the aspect of Max we see early in the movie when he curls up by his mother's feet.

The creature design is an incredible feat of imagination, evoking with near-flawless effectiveness the illustrations in Sendak's book. The Wild Things provide the impression of muppets and Big Bird (not surprising considering the involvement of Jim Henson's Creature Shop), but not in a cartoony way. They are the kinds of giant puppets that Sid and Marty Krofft would have used in H.R. Pufnstuf given the technology and budget. As "cute" as they sometimes appear, they are capable of generating an aura of menace. When Carol becomes enraged, there's nothing cuddly about him. The importance of getting the look of the Wild Things right should not be underestimated, since the film's success relies on this. Jonez and his team find the right balance between three-dimensional embodiments of the book's creatures and entities that work in the context of a live-action motion picture.

Where the Wild Things Are is Jonze's third feature length motion picture (he is probably still best known for his music videos). The sense of visual imagination one has come to expect based on Being John Malkovich and Adaptation (both written by Charlie Kaufman) is fulfilled here. This movie is nothing if not an embodiment of Jonze's flair and style. Most importantly, it fulfills the #1 criterion of any family film: it involves viewers of all ages on different levels. Children will react viscerally (both positively and negatively, with delight and fear) to the creatures, pre-teens and young teens will connect with Max and instinctively relate to his experiences, and adults will recognize the allegorical nature of the experience and enjoy it for what it is. This is probably the best family film since Disney's Up, and one of the most visually interesting pictures of the year. Whether or not it's a big success during its theatrical run, this is the kind of movie people will be watching for years to come at home.
  11. Aug 1, 2013
    I'm not sure what exactly to make of the meaning behind all those beautiful images. The center to me seems to be the portrait of childhood imagination, the boundless energy and freedom of play. But the magic is marred by a conservative guitar-soundtrack that reminds us of the mundane, uncreative rituals of adults. In passages, the film plays like a commercial because of the overlyI'm not sure what exactly to make of the meaning behind all those beautiful images. The center to me seems to be the portrait of childhood imagination, the boundless energy and freedom of play. But the magic is marred by a conservative guitar-soundtrack that reminds us of the mundane, uncreative rituals of adults. In passages, the film plays like a commercial because of the overly pleasing music. It just destroyed the atmosphere and magic for me. The child acted like a child acting like a child, as if his subconsciousness was constantly aware that it was all theater. Real kids are supposed to be more fully 'into it', a state of mind nailed pretty well in some other films. The monsters had voices of standard human bodies, although being much bigger than humans. In a movie that plays all-in on atmosphere, those mistakes are deal-breakers. If you have a special interest in childhood psychology, I guess its a relevant movie, but I doubt you'll come away from it much wiser. I had high expectations for some movie magic and the movie didn't deliver. Only partly, in the sometimes grand scale of the images. I want to give extra points for originality, but it was based on a book, so in fact its a very conservative vision based on an original book. Expand
  12. Sep 28, 2011
    You might think that because of this movie is based on a book for kids, this movies is also for kids or is the same than the book, but no, this movie talks about grow up and all the process of maduration, is a great job and a has a fantastic development and the camera work is excellent
  13. Dec 19, 2013
    No doubt this is not for everyone, when you begin to understand all that you see, the universe is the saddest and most beautiful possible thing you can imagine, the mind of a Child, here, is so powerful, sad, depressed, but never without love.
  14. Aug 16, 2010
    A sad experience, one that made me feel about myself rather than enjoying the innocence of youth. There's not enough story to carry a full movie, and the wild things seem more like reality show characters bickering amongst themselves rather than fantasy creatures. I was excited for this film, mainly because the story is brilliant and Jonze is very good, but I was sorely disappointed.
  15. Apr 9, 2011
    I enjoyed the movie. Good voice work and the young boy did a good job. The graphics were pretty good. But it was not as good as the book. It won't "ruin" the book for you, but don't watch this before you read the book to yourself or your kid.
  16. Nov 2, 2010
    If you are a fan of this book, or if your kids are just now becoming fans of the book, please do not let them watch this movie, it will ruin the book for them. This movie does no justice to it. The only way you could watch this movie and maybe enjoy it a bit is if you had nothing better to do and you rented this movie. Otherwise stay way.
  17. Feb 2, 2011
    In one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen, everything is done right. The performance by the lead boy is fantastic and heart-wrenching, as he portrays fear, despair, affection, and so many others on levels that far precede his years. He deserved far more critical acclaim than he was given. Spike Jonze's direction is nothing short of breathtaking, as he brings the subtle hints atIn one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen, everything is done right. The performance by the lead boy is fantastic and heart-wrenching, as he portrays fear, despair, affection, and so many others on levels that far precede his years. He deserved far more critical acclaim than he was given. Spike Jonze's direction is nothing short of breathtaking, as he brings the subtle hints at deeper meanings that were in the original book to the surface with amazing grace. The "Wild Things" were each brilliantly constructed, portraying different emotional issues while retaining the idea that the family group is necessary and needed, and with hard work and mutual love, it can be attained. The dark look of the film only serves to enhance these ideas, complicated and saddening while allowing, every once in a while, for a glimmer of light and hope to shine through. I doubt that a children's book adaptation will ever be made into a film of such beauty and intelligence again; at least not in my life time. It ranks with the other masterpieces of cinema that are now considered the best of all time. Genius, adult, intelligent, tear-jerking brilliance. The Oscars completely snubbed this gem. Expand
  18. Sep 14, 2011
    A beautiful recreation the book by Maurice Sendak in which the story is develop in a deeper way with a conflict that connect with real life, even when the characters are monsters. If you think this a movie for children, then you're wrong. Just see it and learn about life.
  19. Oct 28, 2011
    It is rubbish, I'm sorry to people that liked it but I really didn't enjoy the film. I was looking forward to going to see the film at the cinema but I was really dissapointed, I am a fan of the book but it isn't based on the book at all. I really disliked it.
  20. Mar 26, 2013
    Now, yes. Many people.. are going to disagree with me, go ahead, hate me. I don't like this movie. I DESPISE THIS MOVIE!!! This is just too dark, too dark (by this part, I mean literally, JUST LOOK AT THE BACKGROUND PEOPLE!!!), and what is pretty much one of the worst costumes on a person for a kids movie, this movie is unappealing and is too dark for a children's movie. And I wanted toNow, yes. Many people.. are going to disagree with me, go ahead, hate me. I don't like this movie. I DESPISE THIS MOVIE!!! This is just too dark, too dark (by this part, I mean literally, JUST LOOK AT THE BACKGROUND PEOPLE!!!), and what is pretty much one of the worst costumes on a person for a kids movie, this movie is unappealing and is too dark for a children's movie. And I wanted to give it a chance, because when I was a little kid (or even a baby), this was one one of my favourite books, and you people are giving me this, how disgraceful. Expand
  21. Aug 15, 2014
    A mind numbingly boring story with a stupid premise , the only redemption this film has is the special effects and costumes , and even then they are not that great.
  22. Aug 13, 2012
    A beautiful movie that perfectly captures the essence of the classic tale. Masterful puppetry. Anyone who appreciates the original book will no doubt realize how great this movie is.
  23. Feb 6, 2011
    This was nowhere near as brilliant as it could have been. It was severely flawed in it's lead character, Max, who most of the time came across as selfish and rude, but never really changed throughout the film. The creature effects were well done and there were a few memorable scenes, but overall it was a bit of limp adaptation. That being said, considering what Spike Jonze had to workThis was nowhere near as brilliant as it could have been. It was severely flawed in it's lead character, Max, who most of the time came across as selfish and rude, but never really changed throughout the film. The creature effects were well done and there were a few memorable scenes, but overall it was a bit of limp adaptation. That being said, considering what Spike Jonze had to work with, pulling a half decent movie from it was impressive. Expand
  24. May 13, 2014
    Childhood redeemed!

I've never thought i see this book in the big screens considering how little content the original had. The author must of had alot of imagination to turn such few words into such a fantasy driven movie.
  25. Nov 28, 2014
    this film make me laughing at Start till' end .. Spike Jonze Oscar Winner is Brilliant!! Different story and Fresh. Dan yang tidak kalah pentingnya adalah bagaimana cerita di dalam film ini juga menunjukan urgensi rasa kasih sayang dan kepedulian yang ada dalam keluarga. Max memang digambarkan sebagai seorang anak yang kesepian dan pemarah, tapi petualangan yang dilalui Max telah membukathis film make me laughing at Start till' end .. Spike Jonze Oscar Winner is Brilliant!! Different story and Fresh. Dan yang tidak kalah pentingnya adalah bagaimana cerita di dalam film ini juga menunjukan urgensi rasa kasih sayang dan kepedulian yang ada dalam keluarga. Max memang digambarkan sebagai seorang anak yang kesepian dan pemarah, tapi petualangan yang dilalui Max telah membuka matanya dan membawanya kembali ke pelukan penuh kasih ibunya. Bagaimana ceritanya? Silakan ditonton sendiri. Jangan lupa mengajak anak atau keponakan saat menonton film ini karena nilai moral dalam film ini begitu penting untuk ditanamkan dalam diri mereka. Expand
  26. Jun 29, 2014
    By far the worst movie I have ever watched even worse than Romeo and Juliet: Sealed with a Kiss. The story line, actors, and everything was infinity times worse than the book. Max seemed so dumb I wanted to whack him with a stick to get back to his poor mother. This movie shouldn't even be shown to children.
  27. Oct 19, 2010
    A beautiful work of cinematic art, although with its flaws. Although it does seem to take itself a tad bit too seriously, it makes up for it in its ability to portray the inner-workings of a childs' mind. Their escape into the world of fantasy to keep from facing reality and the redolent fear of changing is evident. It's certainly not a movie to see with the children, despite the deceptiveA beautiful work of cinematic art, although with its flaws. Although it does seem to take itself a tad bit too seriously, it makes up for it in its ability to portray the inner-workings of a childs' mind. Their escape into the world of fantasy to keep from facing reality and the redolent fear of changing is evident. It's certainly not a movie to see with the children, despite the deceptive marketing done. I adored it, personally, and I completely understand those that don't. It's a hard tale to grasp, and also some people just don't like that kind of movie. But I always grew up with people telling me I was a somewhat strange, so maybe that's what drew me to this strange movie. The camera-work was different and gave it a more realistic feel, the lead, who also is named Max, was very good considering how irritable I am when it comes to child actors. Over-all, a wonderful and somewhat hollow (in a good way) film. I suggest it to those who are up for the challenge. Expand
  28. Aug 17, 2012
    A stunning, emotional , well acted and written movie. Although im glad many others give it a 10 i would disagree with any that state it not a childrens movie. Its for everyone that is or has ever been a child, and certainly some children ( just like the " adults " hear giving well thought out 0 reviews ) will find it boring but some will love it. It has a certain look like no other film .A stunning, emotional , well acted and written movie. Although im glad many others give it a 10 i would disagree with any that state it not a childrens movie. Its for everyone that is or has ever been a child, and certainly some children ( just like the " adults " hear giving well thought out 0 reviews ) will find it boring but some will love it. It has a certain look like no other film . Everyone has differnt opinions on everything in life so dont listen to the ( incorrect ) bad review....know what your getting into and just watch it. U could be missing out on one of your new favs :) Expand
  29. Sep 7, 2013
    Slow pacing does not hinder this enchanting movie, a story so innocent and at the same time so dangerous one cannot help but wonder if director Spike Jonze is secretly a ten years old kid. The integration between costumes and CGI looks beautiful the Wild Things show real emotions and are never clumsy. At one point the movie starts going nowhere, but its delicate allegories and interestingSlow pacing does not hinder this enchanting movie, a story so innocent and at the same time so dangerous one cannot help but wonder if director Spike Jonze is secretly a ten years old kid. The integration between costumes and CGI looks beautiful the Wild Things show real emotions and are never clumsy. At one point the movie starts going nowhere, but its delicate allegories and interesting look keep the attention up. Soundtrack is spot-on. Expand
  30. Nov 8, 2013
    This movie was absolute garbage. It ruined the book for me. Which was my favorite bedtime story to read when i was 6. No nostalgia, just garbage. Very eerie for some reason and very dark. I was actually scared of the monsters. Max is a complete baby. Annoying character. And what happened when his room turned into the forest?!?! Instead he runs away cuz he bites his mom or something.This movie was absolute garbage. It ruined the book for me. Which was my favorite bedtime story to read when i was 6. No nostalgia, just garbage. Very eerie for some reason and very dark. I was actually scared of the monsters. Max is a complete baby. Annoying character. And what happened when his room turned into the forest?!?! Instead he runs away cuz he bites his mom or something. Whatever dont watch this movie. Expand
  31. jcherry
    Nov 1, 2009
    Truly Awful...long dreary depressing. I was relieved my four year old fell asleep so as not to ruin one of her favorite books. This movie truly sucked, in ways beyond my humble ability to describe, posing as a hipster film doesn't make it a good movie, just a pretentious one. Spike was waaaaay off the mark with this one!!!!!!
  32. JacobP
    Oct 18, 2009
    Some people may walk into this show thinking it's a children's film, understandably as it
  33. MaartenH.
    Jan 10, 2010
    Reminded me of my own youth but more creative and sprawling.
  34. EvinC
    Jan 2, 2010
    Good film, but it is so depressing. I still appreciate it for bringing that emotion out in me.
  35. Bren
    Apr 26, 2010
    This movie was an unfocused, boring mess. Just because the director backlights practically every shot does not make it emotionally profound nor does it support any filmic metatexts. Key problems: 1. The monsters have regular adult voices, and these voices are used for complaining all the time thus crushing any form of escapism 2. Max is too old to be behaving like a 4 year old- he comes This movie was an unfocused, boring mess. Just because the director backlights practically every shot does not make it emotionally profound nor does it support any filmic metatexts. Key problems: 1. The monsters have regular adult voices, and these voices are used for complaining all the time thus crushing any form of escapism 2. Max is too old to be behaving like a 4 year old- he comes across as a kid with ADHD 3. The film is incoherent and formless with no building action, climax or resolution- if Warner Bros. wanted an art film, they could have gotten Godard to make it- and better 4. The film is political in the sense that if you don't like it you are vilified as a soulless conservative just because a committee of granola crunching potheads thought they were making a profound film. Don't ever bother watching this film. Read the book instead 40 times in the 101 minutes running time of this adaptation (and I use the term loosely) and it will be time better spent. Expand
  36. AmyK.
    Oct 18, 2009
    I found this movie delightful in a most refreshing non-Disney, non-pop-culture spouting, non-bosom baring princess sort of way. I disagree that this movie is not for children - and don't understand why it's "better" to feed children such a sanitized, marketable version of reality. Visually beautiful, emotionally real, and yes, "wild" in the truest sense - in that emotions, I found this movie delightful in a most refreshing non-Disney, non-pop-culture spouting, non-bosom baring princess sort of way. I disagree that this movie is not for children - and don't understand why it's "better" to feed children such a sanitized, marketable version of reality. Visually beautiful, emotionally real, and yes, "wild" in the truest sense - in that emotions, relationships cannot be tamed, nor should they be feared for this. Not a message I think we should keep from our children. Expand
  37. BridgetC.
    Oct 18, 2009
    While the story sagged a bit in the late middle, the rest had me gripped and enmeshed in the head of a 9 year old ( hard to do that with my mind).
  38. DebbieT.
    Oct 18, 2009
    A beautiful and I think perhaps misunderstood film. This is not a Hollywood formula film. But to mistake that a child cannot enjoy this or relate to the film is unfortunate. My 9 year old daughter loved this film. This is not a film with a morale. It is a portrait of a child's emotions in a breathtaking format. My daughter giggled at the appropriate times. My daughter was quiet and A beautiful and I think perhaps misunderstood film. This is not a Hollywood formula film. But to mistake that a child cannot enjoy this or relate to the film is unfortunate. My 9 year old daughter loved this film. This is not a film with a morale. It is a portrait of a child's emotions in a breathtaking format. My daughter giggled at the appropriate times. My daughter was quiet and thoughtful at appropriate times. The film is an accurate portrayal of a child in our modern world and all the feelings that get wrapped up into it. I'm not sure what folks were looking for. But it was sweet, heartbreaking and charming. Expand
  39. AnonymousMC
    Oct 20, 2009
    I'm going to go ahead and agree with everyone else; visually, this movie is stunning. Aside from that, I didn't like it. The whole movie was largely forgettable and boring. The music is distracting and it often took me a minute to discern the music from the actual audio of the film. The events are disconnected and just sort of happen one after another with no real flow or senseI'm going to go ahead and agree with everyone else; visually, this movie is stunning. Aside from that, I didn't like it. The whole movie was largely forgettable and boring. The music is distracting and it often took me a minute to discern the music from the actual audio of the film. The events are disconnected and just sort of happen one after another with no real flow or sense of plot. More than that, though, the movie seems to illustrate the point that life is terrible and no matter what you do to try and fix it, it will only get worse. Certainly not a message for a kids movie. And on that note, the movie seems to reward bad behavior more than it does anything else. The boy throws a tantrum for no reason and is gifted a kingdom. When he returns home, he gets cake. We leave the movie with nothing resolved, and I myself was annoyed.

It's apparent that many people liked this film. I want to say people liked it because they expected to. I personally would recommend watching the trailer instead. It's much more moving and exciting than the film was.
  40. EricL
    Oct 30, 2009
    This movie was awful and definately not a kids movie. The openng scene with the sister kissing on the couch was unecessary and came without warning for me to prepare my small children. In addition, the disfunctional boy biting his mother and then running away was out of character with the book. The movie truly illustrates bad disfunctional behavior, but does not drive the point for This movie was awful and definately not a kids movie. The openng scene with the sister kissing on the couch was unecessary and came without warning for me to prepare my small children. In addition, the disfunctional boy biting his mother and then running away was out of character with the book. The movie truly illustrates bad disfunctional behavior, but does not drive the point for children to understand why the behavior is unacceptable. THIS IS AN ADULT MOVIE, better suited for those trying to understand the depth and emotions of a disfunctional child!!! Expand
  41. AlexD.
    Jan 9, 2010
    The movie is about a kid going to another world and trying to make everything right for them, but fails miserably and goes back home. It was really awful. Nothing even like the book my dad used to read to me when I went to bed at night.
  42. EggyG
    Feb 17, 2010
    I really want to love this movie, just like the book, but just can't. The style, art, effect and music of this film are incredible, very imaginative and lively. The downside are the scary & depressing story, tone and dialogue throughout the film...it's like having a nightmare instead of inspiring children story. Just too bad.
  43. DamianP
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lots of good songs, lots of anger and lots of no story. Do not punish your kids with this movie - buy them the soundtrack instead.
  44. JeffP
    Mar 9, 2010
    This movie is very heartfelt and had me balling my eyes out at the end. It is way too dark for children, but will take you back to your childhood. I absolutely love this movie. Let your emotions run wild during this film.
  45. VinceS
    Apr 2, 2010
    Anyone who rated this movie above a 2 should seek help! Did Jones even have a script it seems the Actors were thrown on to set and Spike said, Ok say something! They seemed lost thru the whole movie, if Spike Jones would have just stuck to the book it might have been good instead we got this, I want my money back!
  46. kent
    Nov 6, 2009
    More for adults than kids. Awfully serious and depressing, especially for kids. Takes patience to watch through, but moving near the end.
  47. EnzoP.
    Oct 16, 2009
    Where the Wild Things one of the most anticipated films of the year is not a let down like many other films this year. But, if you are a parent and you are going to bring your children to see this film watch out. I think that this film is for 2nd grade and up and possibly 1st grade. This movie is appropriately rated PG not G. It's not that this film is to inappropriate for them well Where the Wild Things one of the most anticipated films of the year is not a let down like many other films this year. But, if you are a parent and you are going to bring your children to see this film watch out. I think that this film is for 2nd grade and up and possibly 1st grade. This movie is appropriately rated PG not G. It's not that this film is to inappropriate for them well it little bit is but they probably won't get it. Just like what Julie N said don't go in expecting a kids movie. Now going on the specific's of the film you are probably wondering how did the little boy act. Well, Max Records that is his name is terrific except for when he is crying. He really has to work on that a lot. The role he plays is not an easy role. He has to play a boy who has more imagination then Walt Disney and highly sensitive. But what really surprised me was that he was really funny. Spike Jonze the director and the co writer really captured a lot of funny moments and I didn't think it would've been all that funny. For instance Max when he was mad and it was time for dinner he stood up on the table and said FEED ME WOMEN. It might not sound that funny but it is. Also Spike Jonze decided to use a hand held camera for some of the most of the film. If it wasn't a hand held camera I do not know what shaking that entire time. Gosh it felt like the Blair Witch Project sometimes. Also a mistake in the writing was that it wasn't descriptive enough some things about the film it never told us. To add on to that in the ending it started to get out of control. The critic inside me was not happy about the weirdness and craziness but the fan inside me loved it. So it was very hard to give a score on this movie. Mainly because it was very fun, wild and out of control but so enjoyable. That it twisted my brain around. I just couldn't decide. Overall a wonderful film not so much as a family film but still one of the year's best. Expand
  48. C.P.
    Oct 16, 2009
    I never do these things, never comment or follow through with films after seeing them (unless with friends). Nevertheless, this movie was stunning. My vocabulary is limited and my mind is weary after seeing the 12 O'clock showing, but I will try to express how I feel. Every frame in this movie could be a photograph, every interaction between the characters is captured so strongly I never do these things, never comment or follow through with films after seeing them (unless with friends). Nevertheless, this movie was stunning. My vocabulary is limited and my mind is weary after seeing the 12 O'clock showing, but I will try to express how I feel. Every frame in this movie could be a photograph, every interaction between the characters is captured so strongly through the cinematography and the perfect setting (Australia). The Wild Things are all brilliantly played out and the pacing of the film is hurried (to accentuate the childlike impulsiveness of Max's mind). As a forewarning, this is not a film for children. It is a brutally dark and emotional film. The simple message from the story, some may have a problem with this, has been expanded into something incredibly large. It has become a tale about self reflection and allowing your mind to look at itself in order to learn what you are doing wrong. Max, the main character, is childish and immature. His anger is often untamed and he allows his sadness turn into aggression. The Wild Things are all branched out of his personality though and he has the opportunity to observe himself from an outside perspective. Its all so simply developed and displayed. There is not a moment in this movie that is misplaced or lacking of beauty. Enjoy it with an open mind. Expand
  49. h_e_n_r_y
    Oct 16, 2009
    I really cannot properly describe the way this movie made me feel. It's a film everyone needs to see, not expecting a blockbuster or a 'magical'/cliché Disney film, but rather an experience you haven't had since your best childhood moment. The melancholy lies in the fact that our childhood has been dead for decades, but we have our children to look forward to.
  50. JohannaE.
    Oct 17, 2009
    I really love this movie. I'm quite sure how my 7 and 9 year old children really felt about it. I'm hoping that it left them thinking. We talked about the themes of the film that they may not have understood on the own. I think it's a complex story, ideally for involved parents to take their older children too and discuss afterward. Don't expect children to fully enjoy I really love this movie. I'm quite sure how my 7 and 9 year old children really felt about it. I'm hoping that it left them thinking. We talked about the themes of the film that they may not have understood on the own. I think it's a complex story, ideally for involved parents to take their older children too and discuss afterward. Don't expect children to fully enjoy or comprehend it without you. However, isn't that what parents are for? I enjoyed the absolute beauty and poignancy of the film. It was bittersweet. Expand
  51. StevenS
    Oct 17, 2009
    This truly was - A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. I've never left a theater so emotionally devastated in my life. Frame after gorgeously shot frame just aches with sadness in this beautiful meditation on what childhood is like growing up in a broken home. My hat is tipped and my hand is over my heart.
  52. QuentinV.
    Oct 17, 2009
    By far the greatest, most imaginative, and clever film adaptation of a children's book ever done.
  53. JoeW.
    Oct 17, 2009
    THIS IS NOT A MOVIE FOR KIDS. ITS ABOUT AS KID-FRIENDLY AS PAN'S LABYRINTH. THE YOUNG KIDS WERE TRAUMATIZED, AND I HAD TO LEAVE EARLY WITH MY 5 YEAR OLD.

But it is a really excellent adult move. It's unbelievable how that the excellent young actor carried the entire feature.
  54. ScottM.
    Oct 17, 2009
    This film constructs and simultaneously deconstructs itself in each scene. The film's honest ending is a meager consolation prize for those patient enough to endure the existential vacuity of the film.
  55. JoshC.
    Moving, subtle film.
  56. AD
    Oct 19, 2009
    Not a kids movie, but super funny & deep.
  57. rickm
    Oct 19, 2009
    As you can see from the scores, it would appear you either love or hate this movie. If you know what you are getting into before you see this movie, you will know it is not really a "children's" movie .. it is a movie ABOUT childhood. If you like movies that have the guts to go "outside the box" a little, you will appreciate this movie. It is an amazing accomplishment. Very powerful movie.
  58. JoelH
    Dec 11, 2009
    For all you people complaining about the movie because you brought kids to it, did you even see the previews before you went? As for me, I got what I expected and enjoyed the movie very much.
  59. tabithap
    Dec 12, 2009
    This film is pure, pure magic, and anyone who disagrees needs to think long and hard about what life was like when they were six and confined only by the limits of their imagination
  60. AtticusM
    Oct 20, 2009
    Beautiful... A very symbolic movie. A true work of art.
  61. KirkG
    Oct 22, 2009
    Visually stunning and emotionally exhilarating! A true work of art not to be missed on the big screen.
  62. CalebH
    Oct 23, 2009
    I've seen it twice now and still can't get enough of it! One of the most multi-layered movies I have ever seen. I could eat it up, I love it so!
  63. sebastianl.
    Oct 26, 2009
    For those of us who remember--or faithfully engage the vestiges of--an imagination worthy of childhood, this film underestimates the continuities of that imagination. Max looks like nothing more than a series of Freudian ejaculations of creativity, with that creativity accomplishing little more than assuaging or redirecting his psyche. Children--and human beings in general--tend to For those of us who remember--or faithfully engage the vestiges of--an imagination worthy of childhood, this film underestimates the continuities of that imagination. Max looks like nothing more than a series of Freudian ejaculations of creativity, with that creativity accomplishing little more than assuaging or redirecting his psyche. Children--and human beings in general--tend to construct more from their relationships with ids and moms. I understand the desert loneliness thing, but come on, credit the kid with some color in his world. Expand
  64. MichaelB
    Dec 6, 2009
    Boring is one word to describe this movie. There are some slightly fun elements but everything is ruined by the story line which is lacking completely... it's just made up of disjointed ideas. The way the movie looks visually is amazing, but underneath the makeup there's really nothing of value that will stay with you, it just feels hollow on the substance front. It's a Boring is one word to describe this movie. There are some slightly fun elements but everything is ruined by the story line which is lacking completely... it's just made up of disjointed ideas. The way the movie looks visually is amazing, but underneath the makeup there's really nothing of value that will stay with you, it just feels hollow on the substance front. It's a movie that kids won't understand or like and a movie that will leave adults disappointed thanks to the undeserved hype. At least the soundtrack is good, if you're a fan of Karen O and the 'Yeah Yeah Yeahs' you're probably going to be satisfied by the soundtrack rather than the movie. Expand
  65. SteveM.
    Oct 20, 2009
    This was the worst movie I have ever seen, and I've seen The Patriot and Transformers. It mistakes misery for profundity and strips all joy from childhood. Enjoy kids!
  66. Magnum
    Jan 17, 2010
    I fell asleep and dreamed I had gone to see Zombieland instead. I really wanted to like it too, it's just that it's so boring.
  67. denisem
    Jan 5, 2010
    I had high hopes for this movie. As a mom, the plight of the kid was toooo sad, in the beginning and even throughout the entire film. The scene in which the mom was chasing Max was too real and terrifying, too-and didn't really resolve until too late in the film. It was my understanding the wild things (which max created) were supposed to adore him. This could have had a LOT more I had high hopes for this movie. As a mom, the plight of the kid was toooo sad, in the beginning and even throughout the entire film. The scene in which the mom was chasing Max was too real and terrifying, too-and didn't really resolve until too late in the film. It was my understanding the wild things (which max created) were supposed to adore him. This could have had a LOT more comedic-upbeat stuff in it. It was akin to being at a dinner party in which one of the couples is fighting and everyone then feels their stress and leaves bummed out. This film made me sad and worried about kids and modern families. Expand
  68. MarkF
    Feb 10, 2010
    Finally after seeing so much meaningless action and drama at the cinema in the last year, there's a movie that I really FELT. And for this movie that so polarises cinema critics and movie-goers, you have to feel it, and I'm glad I did. Certain visual, certain snippets of dialogue were like little shots to the heart and for me that was the brilliant thing, the sense of Finally after seeing so much meaningless action and drama at the cinema in the last year, there's a movie that I really FELT. And for this movie that so polarises cinema critics and movie-goers, you have to feel it, and I'm glad I did. Certain visual, certain snippets of dialogue were like little shots to the heart and for me that was the brilliant thing, the sense of identification with emotions we felt as children and indeed parents. Expand
  69. TomM
    Feb 6, 2010
    Best film of 09! It was emotional, deeply profound and very original. Great acting and directing.
  70. JoseR.
    Feb 7, 2010
    The ugliest movie i ever seen in my life. i thought nothing can beat "lady in the water" or "futuresport" this sucks big time. It's about a retard kid that thinks he can do whatever he wants. wish that the monsters ate him right away so the film could end early. Boring!
  71. KellyO
    Mar 15, 2010
    The sound track was good other then that this movie was horrible. Here is a quick plotline: Little kid ruins mom's date then runs into woods finds boat goes to other world ruins it then comes back satisfied and forces mom to make him food. It should really be renamed "Land of Depressed Monsters"
  72. BradP
    Mar 15, 2010
    Yawn. A selfish kid full of self-pity goes to an unadventurous island inhabited by lame, unhappy, aimless "things" that are decidedly un-wild. Not sure how such psycho-babble nonsense was derived from the 9-sentence book. The mom's worshipful gazing at the end is repulsive.
  73. DavidS
    Mar 17, 2010
    First: Why did so many reviewers suggest this might be a kids' movie? It's a kid's movie for your wounded inner child. Spike Jonze said he wanted to capture how it was to be nine years old. Well, he succeeded, and maybe that's why I hate this movie so much. Nine for me meant divorce, yelling parents, separation, uncertainty and anxiety. I read books like "Wild Things" First: Why did so many reviewers suggest this might be a kids' movie? It's a kid's movie for your wounded inner child. Spike Jonze said he wanted to capture how it was to be nine years old. Well, he succeeded, and maybe that's why I hate this movie so much. Nine for me meant divorce, yelling parents, separation, uncertainty and anxiety. I read books like "Wild Things" to imagine a place beyond all that. But the stressful home Max leaves (like mine) is Oz compared to the mopey, violent, joyless land of emo muppets he lands on. There is nothing bright or delightful about this world or this movie and Max is never in command of anything, but always fearful and sad. And yes, that was my nine, but that doesn't mean it makes a good movie. Especially when nothing happens, and for a long time. Masking the misery with indie-star voices and achy hipster tunes doesn't make it gold. "Wild Things" is painful and boring. Expand
  74. LeslieB
    Mar 22, 2010
    The elegant story has a myth power because it doesn't try to explain itself. The film stretches that tiny little bit of material adding neurosis and angst. Where the book was therapeutic and healing, the film seems to need a trip to the shrink.
  75. JamesB.
    Mar 20, 2010
    Pretty weird, but I liked it.
  76. AaronD
    Mar 2, 2010
    This movie seriously put my whole family to sleep. I have never wanted so badly to walk out of a movie. Wild Things look great, but seeing Tony Soprano in my head every time the main monster spoke drove me nuts. Please do not give any of your money to this mess.
  77. Andrew
    Mar 6, 2010
    About as much fund as I would assume a trip to the psychiatrist to be. Quite why this is well reviewed I do not have a clue. Boring and demented.
  78. MarkW
    Mar 6, 2010
    Kudos to the cinematographers, production designers and Jim Henson's muppet shop, the film looks great. There's just one thing they forgot; a story. The film is so interested in commenting on kids it forgets to entertain them, and the result is a bunch of wild things who sit around and complain a lot and don't do much. Why would any kid imagine a boring world like that? He Kudos to the cinematographers, production designers and Jim Henson's muppet shop, the film looks great. There's just one thing they forgot; a story. The film is so interested in commenting on kids it forgets to entertain them, and the result is a bunch of wild things who sit around and complain a lot and don't do much. Why would any kid imagine a boring world like that? He could have gotten that at home. Expand
  79. MarkG
    Apr 10, 2010
    This movie is a creative masterpiece.
  80. Ed
    Apr 16, 2010
    Beautiful, heart wrenching, poignant. I can only assume that those who have chosen to bad mouth this wonderfully original piece of cinema have forgotten what it was like to be a child on the brink of losing your innocence and entering a more serious world. So you people can go see Transformers 2 for the 5th time and let the rest of us bask in the glow of a wonderful film that doesn't Beautiful, heart wrenching, poignant. I can only assume that those who have chosen to bad mouth this wonderfully original piece of cinema have forgotten what it was like to be a child on the brink of losing your innocence and entering a more serious world. So you people can go see Transformers 2 for the 5th time and let the rest of us bask in the glow of a wonderful film that doesn't treat its audience like complete morons. Expand
  81. TedD
    Apr 18, 2010
    I just saw the film, Where the Wild Things Are, last night. There were moments that I really liked in the film but even in those moments I felt frustrated in that the movies main character had never been fully develope much less a sense of exceptionality in his life experience. Even when I tried to appreciate the setting and creation of the wild animals I was aware of my boredom. And as I just saw the film, Where the Wild Things Are, last night. There were moments that I really liked in the film but even in those moments I felt frustrated in that the movies main character had never been fully develope much less a sense of exceptionality in his life experience. Even when I tried to appreciate the setting and creation of the wild animals I was aware of my boredom. And as to the insights into childhood, I found those self-indulgent. One scene stood out to me. Before running away, the boy stands on the kitchen table saying "Feed me woman" and asserts more than he knows only to find that he is more terrified with his mothers remark, "What is wrong with you? Maybe he knows in a post Freudian world living with a single Mom and watching his Mom flirting with her boyfriend. His answer is to set sail and find a new family where he can be King and in becoming King he becomes tamed. I like the insight but a whole film? Expand
  82. LeoL
    Apr 21, 2010
    Overrated slow-paced mess of a film that is dull for adults and children alike. Half my group of friends feel asleep. The moral of the story seems to be that running away and coming back means that bad behaviour is rewarded. Psycho-babble does not a deep film make.
  83. TimB
    Nov 1, 2009
    It's a beautiful film that explores the nature of childhood and imagination to brilliant effect. I think many of the negative reviews come from people too sadly far removed from their own childhoods.
  84. tylerw
    Nov 12, 2009
    Virtually impossible to take seriously from about 15 minutes in. boring as all hell, a dialogue movie with the cast made up in furry suits. absolutely no story other than some divorce lurking in the background, and some disgruntled furries who hate each other for no other reason than boredom. then, an emotional deus ex machina ending. truly awful.
  85. Brandon
    Nov 26, 2009
    Nothing like the book at all....plus, this whole idea of this being a movie "in the mind of a 9 y.o." is bs. Maybe as a spoiled brat of a 9 y.o. you could think like this...those of us who were disciplined as children and raised to respect others don't....it's just an unrealistic movie.
  86. HeatherP
    Nov 4, 2009
    #1 NOT A KID'S MOVIE #2 Violent #3 Destructive #4 Without Resolution #5 Doesn't hold a candle to what happened in my imagination...wish I could erase this movie from my memory!
  87. AdamL
    Oct 16, 2009
    Absolutely Fantastic! The film invites you in as part of the experience and is truly a classic escape from the everyday.
  88. AaronL.
    Oct 16, 2009
    my wife and I are huge fans of the book from growing up and now our 4 year old loves the book. the 3 of us went to the movie today and could not be happier with it. it captures everything we loved about the book and doesn't try to hide anything. our 4 year old girl also enjoyed it, the things that were to old went over her head, but she was very able to follow along. the more intinse my wife and I are huge fans of the book from growing up and now our 4 year old loves the book. the 3 of us went to the movie today and could not be happier with it. it captures everything we loved about the book and doesn't try to hide anything. our 4 year old girl also enjoyed it, the things that were to old went over her head, but she was very able to follow along. the more intinse scene's she just held my hand but was fine. want to see it MANY more times and will recommend it to EVERYONE! Expand
  89. Jim
    Oct 16, 2009
    Visually amazing but slow and depressing.
  90. ChandlerW.
    Oct 16, 2009
    Excellent film. Truly moving. Great story, plot, moral. A must see for everybody!
  91. ScottR.
    Oct 16, 2009
    This film is like an $80 million lament on the childhood of someone who didn't really enjoy that period of his or her life. I didn't connect with the film on any emotional level, and there's only so far that a cerebral experience can carry me in terms of liking something. Do I appreciate this film? Sure. Do I like it? Not really. Would I take my kids to see it if they were This film is like an $80 million lament on the childhood of someone who didn't really enjoy that period of his or her life. I didn't connect with the film on any emotional level, and there's only so far that a cerebral experience can carry me in terms of liking something. Do I appreciate this film? Sure. Do I like it? Not really. Would I take my kids to see it if they were younger than 12? Absolutely not. This film tries to dissect how a child sees and interprets the world, but it does so from a very adult perspective. It takes almost all the fun and magic out of being a kid and replaces those fundamentals of childhood with imaginary realism. Is childhood discovery of right and wrong really such a dramatic event? No. I find this film to be much more of an examination of Spike Jonze's views on how mis-parented youths look back on their childhood than anything else. Basically, it was the polar opposite of "Up", which I consider to be the best film of the year thus far. Does that make it an awful film? Of course not. But it's like Spike Jonze wants us all to live in the melancholy of his childhood, and that bored me to tears. Expand
  92. SamP
    Nov 6, 2009
    An incredibly solid interpretation of a snippet from boyhood (Jonze's intention in the first place). Anyone putting this movie down for "trying to be philosophical" is an idiot, because the film never does that. It certainly tries to be PSYCOLOGICAL, laying out incredibly blatant symbolism via the wild things; the film succeeds as a strictly psychological narrative. The fact that An incredibly solid interpretation of a snippet from boyhood (Jonze's intention in the first place). Anyone putting this movie down for "trying to be philosophical" is an idiot, because the film never does that. It certainly tries to be PSYCOLOGICAL, laying out incredibly blatant symbolism via the wild things; the film succeeds as a strictly psychological narrative. The fact that many people also find it too "sad" is due to the film's uncanny ability to magnify the problems of a child. The viewer is sad because Max is sad, but when you look at the issues (a neglectful teenage sister, a preoccupied parent) they are temporary experiences of growing up. It's not a very "deep" movie, gang--just different than some may have hoped. Expand
  93. PatriciaS.
    Oct 16, 2009
    Don't waste your time bringing the kids, this is definitely an adult film. It was too long and way too emotionally involved. The most my children could gain from watching it was bad behavior. The best part of the movie was the popcorn.
  94. Ross
    Oct 17, 2009
    This movie was a massive disappointment. It offered very little beyond the outstanding design and the well-done intro portion. Just watch the trailer 5 times and you'll be better off. Beware of critics who WANT to support the new Jonze movie.
  95. DrewF.
    Oct 17, 2009
    Absolutely stunning movie, visually, tonally, thematically. I'm amazed that a film like this, that treats its audience, kids and adults alike, without a hint of condescension, could be made in today's market. It's a rich and beautiful piece of work, and bravo to Spike Jonze, Dave Eggers, Maurice Sendak, and all the cast and crew for making it happen.
  96. MatthewA.
    Oct 17, 2009
    Spike Jonze is 3 for 3 and has created the most perfect realization of Sendak's book that could have possibly been conceived. The negative reviews miss the point of Jonze's vision entirely. Dana Stevens (maybe you should have stuck with your job as an Avon lady?) says that it adds nothing to know the backstory of Max, his mom, and the Wild Things. If you don't get the Spike Jonze is 3 for 3 and has created the most perfect realization of Sendak's book that could have possibly been conceived. The negative reviews miss the point of Jonze's vision entirely. Dana Stevens (maybe you should have stuck with your job as an Avon lady?) says that it adds nothing to know the backstory of Max, his mom, and the Wild Things. If you don't get the importance of those backstories then it will be impossible to appreciate this movie. David Denby similarly says that he can picture little kids being confused as to why the wild things are so dysfunctional. It baffles me that professional film critics would fail to understand such a fundamental part of the story. How else did they expect Jonze to flesh out such a slight children's book? In my mind (and Sendak's apparentely) he has done it perfectly and I couldn't have been more pleased with or touched by the film. Simply perfect. Collapse
  97. CP
    Oct 17, 2009
    This is a beautiful movie that exceeded all of my expectations. Not for kids, but for thoughtful adults. For me it was magical.
  98. AJ
    Oct 17, 2009
    I found it rather dull and the thin plot of romantic angst between the beasts more than a little silly.
  99. AmberM.
    Oct 17, 2009
    This is not a kids movie!!! The kid is naughty, and the monsters are very negative. All my kids got out of it, is that it is funny to hit your friends and its okay to throw tantrums.
  100. DanM.
    Oct 17, 2009
    I really liked it. Max's feelings were so real and difficult. James Gandolfini's voice so completely embodied Carol it amazed me. It may have been a little slow in parts, but not in a way that it woke me from the "dream". I am not a child anymore, and I don't know if a child would be riveted to it the way I was, but it had that true quality that I remember from childhood.

1. For all the artfulness, the feel of the film is rough-hewn, almost primitive. It’s a fabulous tree house of a movie.
  2. Where the film falters is Jonze and novelist Dave Eggers' adaptation, which fails to invest this world with strong emotions.
    I have a vision of eight-year-olds leaving the movie in bewilderment. Why are the creatures so unhappy? That question doesn’t return a child to safety or anywhere else. Of one thing I am sure: children will be relieved when Max gets away from this anxious crew.