5.9

1. Jan 8, 2014
    'Oh my god, there are U S special forces flying over us' states an incredulous news reporter. This is just one example of how unintentionally funny, but risibly bad, the dialogue is in this ludicrously awful action adventure opus. It actually seems keen to copy all the worst aspects of the (far superior) 70's disaster movies. Scene after scene just lie there and die there as Channing Tatum'Oh my god, there are U S special forces flying over us' states an incredulous news reporter. This is just one example of how unintentionally funny, but risibly bad, the dialogue is in this ludicrously awful action adventure opus. It actually seems keen to copy all the worst aspects of the (far superior) 70's disaster movies. Scene after scene just lie there and die there as Channing Tatum heroically endeavours to save President Jamie Foxx from the clutches of evil inside aide, James Woods.
    The film is full of stock characters and cliched, not to mention ridiculously unbelievable, situations and it's not even exciting. Despite having set pieces involving explosion after explosion the movie ignites not one jot of palpable tension. The actress playing Tatum's daughter is just horrible and adds credence to the saying 'Never work with animals or children'. In this instance, though, it's because the actress concerned demonstrates to the adults just how inept she is. Ultimately, this cannot even be considered a good bad film. It is with indifference that I pronounce it a resounding dud.
  2. Jul 22, 2013
    64 slices of American CHEESE! It's all down to the speaker of the house who wants to keep his defence industry friends in lots of dirty money.

There you go, saved you 2 hours of excruciating unadulterated crap, you're welcome
  3. Jul 28, 2013
    A movie that perpetuates the most offensive racism I have ever seen in a movie. Horribly acted. I can't believe I paid to see this. I felt like taking a needle and gauging my eyes out.
  4. Jul 4, 2013
    If you were a member of Occupy Wall Street, Occupy Seattle, etc. you MIGHT be oblivious to the goofy cliches that are thrown around. Channing Tatum, Joey King, and James Woods make their screen time enjoyable, but the script and low-information politics had us laughing out loud... and not at the right times. (Nicholas Wright did offer comedic quips that allow you to laugh at appropriateIf you were a member of Occupy Wall Street, Occupy Seattle, etc. you MIGHT be oblivious to the goofy cliches that are thrown around. Channing Tatum, Joey King, and James Woods make their screen time enjoyable, but the script and low-information politics had us laughing out loud... and not at the right times. (Nicholas Wright did offer comedic quips that allow you to laugh at appropriate times) Jamie did his best, but weak, Obama imitation generating another chuckle (about the sad situation in Benghazi) when he said we could send drones anywhere in the world in an hour's time, Oops. Avoid the theaters and get it on DVD on discount day. Expand
  5. Jun 29, 2013
    While it started out as a predictable yet bearable film, it quickly became a delusional mess in which there is no consistent tone. It was an overlong painful experience sitting though this poorly acted cheesy scripted film.
  6. Jul 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yet another in a string of Hollywood flicks that follow a generic plot line, this one even more forgettable than the last. The 1st problem is Jamie Foxx is too young and hence totally unbelievable as president, then the writers were apparently so afraid of offending another foreign nation, they made up a ridiculous story line about defense contractors as terrorists. Channing Tatum isn't terrible and the girl playing his daughter does a good job, but the final and inevitable fight between Channing's character and his nemesis is so over the top and absurd you just start rolling your eyes and get a strong urge to walk out of the theatre. Expand
  7. Jul 6, 2013
    This movie and Olympus Down are two of the worst movies I've ever seen. That needs to be said. I should have went on here and read some reviews before spending my money on this waste of two hours. I'm a little surprised that a cast of this caliber put out garbage, but it happens.
    After this experience I really think there should be a process for people to get refunds.
  8. Jun 29, 2013
    I really regret watching this movie.
    Extremely weak story very weak dialog ,bad casting (no one fits their character/Role) and unconvincing plot .
    The movie begins by wasting 30 Minutes on the intro and continues to waste too much time on dialog and leaves very little time for limited actions scenes while nothing makes sense not the story nor the dialog not even the action scenes.
    I really regret watching this movie.
    Everything in this movie is done wrong from the beginning to the very end.
    You can't enjoy a movie if the you don't believe the story you don't believe the characters and you don't believe the decisions they're making and on top of that you can spot the fake visual effects "especially the helicopters".
  9. Aug 20, 2013
    There is a some fun to be had from White House Down, but the terrible script is to big of a problem to overcome. This film is just so dumb and as much as you want to say this is mindless action you just can't. The fun you might have keeps this from being awful though. C
  10. Oct 2, 2013
    White House Down was okay at the start, but in the end, all we have is just another mindless action movie with a pathetic plot. First of all, the terrorists are not interesting, they are just a bunch of P.M.Cs, nothing else. Second of all, the CGI sucks, this is 2013! And the plot also sucks, it is simply running around, shooting P.M.Cs and run n gun again, feels a lot like a CoD thirdWhite House Down was okay at the start, but in the end, all we have is just another mindless action movie with a pathetic plot. First of all, the terrorists are not interesting, they are just a bunch of P.M.Cs, nothing else. Second of all, the CGI sucks, this is 2013! And the plot also sucks, it is simply running around, shooting P.M.Cs and run n gun again, feels a lot like a CoD third person gameplay video. The action is okay in this movie but it is simply mindless. I prefer Olympus Has Fallen to this crap. Expand
  11. Nov 15, 2013
    This movie was ridiculous, the story, the script, the acting, all bad. This has everything a wide eyed Liberal Hollywood zealot would dream of. The evil white supremacist, the evil military industrial complex, alleged home grown terrorists...blah,blah,blah. Add to that the bright eyed street smart President of color who loves Lincoln and walks on water, every time he speaks it is as ifThis movie was ridiculous, the story, the script, the acting, all bad. This has everything a wide eyed Liberal Hollywood zealot would dream of. The evil white supremacist, the evil military industrial complex, alleged home grown terrorists...blah,blah,blah. Add to that the bright eyed street smart President of color who loves Lincoln and walks on water, every time he speaks it is as if Angels are playing harps from heaven. Yes they used every Liberal cliché in this movie ad nauseum. And to top it off at the end after all the evil white guys die, world peace breaks out! What a laugher. Don't waste your time, just turn on MSNBC! Expand
  12. Dec 22, 2013
    Stupid, stupid, stupid movie. Cartoonish for quality actors. They must have needed the money to play in such a poorly produced and directed movie. Destroy the film.
  13. Lyn
    Feb 23, 2014
    Channing Tatum does OK and there are some nifty explosions. That's about it for the upside. The rest consists of plot cliches, cultural cliches and political cliches, all rolled into a story that's silly and predictable. Of special note is the dumb casting of Maggie Gyllenhaal (usually good!) as a woman who's supposed to be a tightly wound, briskly organized, savvy security wonk. MG lollsChanning Tatum does OK and there are some nifty explosions. That's about it for the upside. The rest consists of plot cliches, cultural cliches and political cliches, all rolled into a story that's silly and predictable. Of special note is the dumb casting of Maggie Gyllenhaal (usually good!) as a woman who's supposed to be a tightly wound, briskly organized, savvy security wonk. MG lolls around the role, playing her like an apathetic Beverly Hills shop girl who kinda sorta wants to sell something to one of the Kardashians. True, she's given some absurd dialogue, but her laconic delivery just makes it all that much more ridiculous. Expand
  14. Apr 6, 2014
    Let's attack the White House! Sounds like a good premise but falls apart in every category, acting especially, this came out along side Olympus has Fallen and even though Olympus was a steaming pile too this movie is just worse. Save your cash this movie isn't worth anyone's time.
  15. Sep 29, 2013
    The only thing good about this movie is the president of the United States wearing sneakers. White House Down is too cliché and also has terrible writing. The thing that disappointed me the most was the poor CGI, cmon its 2013, pay for a better VFX department.
  16. Oct 28, 2013
    Los Estadounidenses vuelven a salir con la victoria demostrando su valor y el presidente de un segundo para otro es Superman salvandose de todo, no es nada interesante pero la accion es espeluznante
  17. Aug 11, 2013
    White House Down started off okay, but the more it got into the movie the worst it got. It was predictable, cheesy, unrealistic, and just plain bad. I expected more from Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx. I'm not saying there wasn't good parts in the movie because there was, just the bad parts overwhelmed it and making the actually good parts less rememberable. And it was basically just aWhite House Down started off okay, but the more it got into the movie the worst it got. It was predictable, cheesy, unrealistic, and just plain bad. I expected more from Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx. I'm not saying there wasn't good parts in the movie because there was, just the bad parts overwhelmed it and making the actually good parts less rememberable. And it was basically just a worse version of Olympus Has Fallen. So if you want to see a movie about the White House being taken down, this is not the movie to see. Expand
  18. Mar 3, 2014
    Bad bad bad, the argument does not make sense and it is absurd, characters without personality, visual effects regular. The film has nothing remarkable, the worst film that I have seen in a long time.
  19. Nov 7, 2014
    Absolutely ridiculous! It was totally cheesy...and unrealistic... It gave an image or perception that there is NO communication amongst security forces...no cameras in the White House...and nobody paying attention... LOL It was indeed very silly to watch....typical American heroics...and showed that Hollywood no longer knows how to make genuine action movies without unrealistic cheeseAbsolutely ridiculous! It was totally cheesy...and unrealistic... It gave an image or perception that there is NO communication amongst security forces...no cameras in the White House...and nobody paying attention... LOL It was indeed very silly to watch....typical American heroics...and showed that Hollywood no longer knows how to make genuine action movies without unrealistic cheese being the norm. Expand
  20. Mar 8, 2015
    One of the most stupid films I've ever seen. "you're going to go to jail for that", etc, etc. I like action films but this really was completely mindless..

1. Reviewed by: Mark Kermode
    Sep 15, 2013
    This bona-fide big-budget Hollywood flop at least has the good grace to laugh at itself as it rolls out the dingbat-daft action-movie cliches.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Sep 10, 2013
    The outcome may be pre-ordained, but Emmerich’s knack for a witty pop-culture reference, a pulse-pounding gun battle or a sneaky political undercurrent (the film has drawn fire in the US for being leftie propaganda) hasn’t deserted him.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick de Semlyen
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lincoln meets Sudden Death: a corny but raucous throwback to when Planet Hollywood was hip. Gary Busey popping out of a rose bush wouldn’t feel out of place.