White House Down

5.9

1. Apr 24, 2014
    White House Down is a summer blockbuster smash hit from Emmerich. It is probably one of the most fun I had at the movies in the last few years, and I'm sure you will enjoy it, too. Tatum leaves behind his romantic comedy background to be in this cousin to "Olympus Has Fallen". But in fact, it's better.
  2. Jul 2, 2013
    Channing Tatum saves the President (Jamie Foxx) and the country from an attack, while rescuing his own daughter. Yep, it's one of those stories: forget logic and ignore Tatum's seemingly superhuman ability to narrowly escape bullets and bullies. If you can do that, you're in for a well-paced good time. The intricate plot is as terrifying as it is far fetched, but the cast is chocked withChanning Tatum saves the President (Jamie Foxx) and the country from an attack, while rescuing his own daughter. Yep, it's one of those stories: forget logic and ignore Tatum's seemingly superhuman ability to narrowly escape bullets and bullies. If you can do that, you're in for a well-paced good time. The intricate plot is as terrifying as it is far fetched, but the cast is chocked with strong performers that help make it work. Most of the hand-to-hand action is a blur, but the big effects are cool. After all, Roland Emmerich (:Independence Day," "2012) is directing. Mindless fun. Expand
  3. Nov 8, 2013
    Action, comedy, suspense are all in this and make it one heck of an enjoyable movie. Channing Tatum, Joey King, and Jamie Foxx are all extremely likable in this film and do a fantastic job. The plot is interesting, the action realistic, and an all around entertaining film. It's not perfect, overused plot threads do bring the film down, but overall they never kept me from enjoying the film.Action, comedy, suspense are all in this and make it one heck of an enjoyable movie. Channing Tatum, Joey King, and Jamie Foxx are all extremely likable in this film and do a fantastic job. The plot is interesting, the action realistic, and an all around entertaining film. It's not perfect, overused plot threads do bring the film down, but overall they never kept me from enjoying the film. So if you're looking for a good action film then this is worth checking out. I know I sure enjoyed it. Expand
  4. Jan 9, 2015
    White House Down was obviously influenced by Die Hard. The similarities are apparent all through the film. This film had some good action and I enjoyed it more than Olympus has Fallen. There is some chemistry between the lead characters Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx. Tatum is obviously a huge box office draw in Hollywood as we speak and he does a great job of portraying the ultimateWhite House Down was obviously influenced by Die Hard. The similarities are apparent all through the film. This film had some good action and I enjoyed it more than Olympus has Fallen. There is some chemistry between the lead characters Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx. Tatum is obviously a huge box office draw in Hollywood as we speak and he does a great job of portraying the ultimate American family man cop. It seemed like Jamie Foxx's looks were modeled after Malcolm X and I like that, he also shows a different side to a president that no normal American citizen would see. Sure its not perfect but it is entertaining. What more can you ask from a movie? Expand
  5. Aug 27, 2013
    Olympus has Fallen does something that White House Down never even thinks of doing, it tries to make sense of an impossible situation. While Olypmus has fallen is failing to persuade you that it isn't a generic thriller, White House Down is having fun and you are too. When armed terrorists seize the White House, visitor John Cale (Channing Tatum) is forced to protect President SawyerOlympus has Fallen does something that White House Down never even thinks of doing, it tries to make sense of an impossible situation. While Olypmus has fallen is failing to persuade you that it isn't a generic thriller, White House Down is having fun and you are too. When armed terrorists seize the White House, visitor John Cale (Channing Tatum) is forced to protect President Sawyer (Jamie Foxx) and try to rescue his daughter Emily (Joey King) from them. The film is big, unpretentious fun which emulates the original Die Hard, not just in story but in its tone. White House Down is funny and has a cast clearly revelling in the experience. Tatum is a good Willis replacement and he shares great chemistry with Foxx who provides most of the films comedy. Directed by Roland Emmerich, the director of other big budget actioners such as 2012 and Independence Day, White House Down isn't subtle, its in your face and it never really slows down as everything is thrown at you at a break neck pace. Filled with cliches aplenty this is big budget B movie film making at its best. Emmerich manages to twist formulas to keep things trundling along as well as display the action in a new and interesting way. The films script by James Vanderbilt isn't terrible but there are more than a few dodgy lines hidden throughout the film. Clearly Emmerich is trying to display himself as a storyteller and while White House Down has a good story and is a gripping thriller it is a completely recycled tale that just follows an outline, an outline laid out by one of the best action films made making it entertaining action but nowhere near original. Expand
  6. Nov 9, 2014
    White House Down is yet another dumb and entertaining popcorn which which fails in blending seriousness with comic relief despite its great leads and action.
  7. May 3, 2014
    I will first say if you`re the type that will criticize every detail of a movie, this movie will annoy you at certain points. The reason I won`t give it a 10 is cause it was a fun movie, but had lots of unrealistic stuff that frustrated me.You have to go in it thinking it`s just for fun, or you will be disappointed.
  8. Dec 13, 2013
  9. Jun 29, 2013
    White House Down is another Die Hard clone and a decent summer flick. Roland Emmerich has created blockbuster disasters including Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow, and 2012 and now we have another disaster film where the White House was corrupted by terrorists in Washington D.C. The story is about U.S. Capitol Police Officer, John Cale (Channing Tatum) and his daughter are headingWhite House Down is another Die Hard clone and a decent summer flick. Roland Emmerich has created blockbuster disasters including Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow, and 2012 and now we have another disaster film where the White House was corrupted by terrorists in Washington D.C. The story is about U.S. Capitol Police Officer, John Cale (Channing Tatum) and his daughter are heading to the White House and he's promoting to become a president's bodyguard; however, the terrorists are planning to take over the White House and plan to kidnap the president, James Sawyer (Jamie Foxx). Both heroes must find the way to get out of the White House and they need to fight over terrorists with big guns and explosives. The action scenes are very impressive like the capitol building was destroyed, the helicopters are firing over the White House, and car chase scene was epic. The actors did very well in the movie including Channing Tatum plays an American Hero like he's becoming a John McClane or acting like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Commando. Jamie Foxx did very well as a president who acts like a Barrack Obama with guns White House is action packed thrill than A Good Day to Die Hard or Olympus Has Fallen. It has a lot fun to enjoy, the scenes are humorous, and it has good old action style like Lethal Weapon or Die Hard, but this movie is good. Thumb Up. Expand
  10. Jul 28, 2014
    This is a fantastic movie. The action is top quality, there's lots of changes in the situation as the movie goes along, it's a grand time to watch. I mean, yes, the plot is totally silly when you get down to it, but that's totally fine because the lead-up to the scenario isn't really as much the point as the scenario itself. You should watch this movie.
  11. Sep 7, 2013
    White House Down starring John Cale (Channing Tatum) and President James Sawyer (Jamie Foxx) is a current events type movie making you think what the country would do if really put into a situation of the president being killed.

The movie starts with Emily Cale waking up due to a breaking news alert on her phone and see's helicopters out her window (containing the president.) She is upset with her dad (John Cale) because he missed her performance at the talent show. Her talent was flag twirling and by this time we learn that she is a "White House know it all." John is going to an interview for the head of security and invites his daughter to come to make it up to her.

John basically blows the interview and on their way out a man asks if they are there for the White House Tour and he says yes to make his daughter happy. Without revealing too much, Emily goes to the bathroom on the tour and the White House is taken over, given the name of the movie. White House Down is the fight for John to both save the president, and his daughter.

At the screening, the audience, including myself were laughing constantly at little bits of humor such as President Sawyer changing into his Air Jordan shoes when he knew he would need to fight. Again, I will say that White House Down was one of the most entertaining action movies I have ever seen.

Though other critics over thought this movie saying the president looked too much like Obama, being a teen reviewer, I focus on the actual movie and not the political aspect. In closing, I definitely recommend the movie to anyone looking for an entertaining action film. I would definitely see it again with friends and think White House Down is a clear choice to anyone wanting a mix of action and comedy in a movie.
  12. LTR
    Nov 9, 2013
    This movie is really good. The characters are good, the action is great and there are some real tense moments. To me, it's Die Hard but in the white house.
  13. Nov 6, 2013
    White House Down is one of those movies that is hard not to enjoy, its filled with action, an intriguing plot, and some comedy here and there. Channing Tatum and Jamie Fox do a great job as the main characters. This is one of the best action movies of 2013, and is a complete joy to watch.
  14. Jun 29, 2013
    17 years ago "Independence Day" put Will Smith and Roland Emmerich on the map. Will Smith became the summer blockbuster hero while Emmerich became the guy who made popcorn flicks where he got to destroy stuff (most of Washington DC, national monuments, New York City, the world and more).

This summer both Smith and Emmerich had big movies "After Earth" and "White House Down." Both of these movies had really stupid titles but Roland delivered the goods while Will got sucked into the M Night Shamalayan's sinkhole (box office results notwithstanding).

White House Down is a blatant rip off of Die Hard, but it tweaks the premise just enough to make it different enough and wildly entertaining. Channing Tatum doesn't try to be Bruce Willis (even if he eventually gets in the same bloodied tank top) but combines his witty "21 Jump Street" humor with his "GI Joe" bad-ass-ness. The addition of Jamie Foxx as the "Obama" president and, no joke, side-kick to Tatum, adds for some great comedic moments.

Most of Emmerich's films are entertaining. Even Godzilla, his worst movie, is a mostly fun ride. But he seems to have matured to a point that all of his typical formulaic elements are made more cohesive. This formula typically goes: 1) character introduction, 2) action/destroy things, 3) quieter character development, 4) action and then an episodic cycle of 3 and 4 until the ultimate sappy happy-ending climax. The formula is there but it's better integrated and faster-moving. And he's found a way to reduce the sappiness.

It helps to have the talents of Jamie Foxx, Channing Tatum, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Six Feet Under's Richard Jenkins who all put in great performances.

If you wanted "24" to be a movie, this is it. They definitely borrow 24's "the terrorist in the end is not the terrorist in the beginning" twists and turns.

Trust me. You will be entertained.
  15. Jan 24, 2014
    This is a must watch movie for anyonw who loves action and explosions.
    Channing Tatum does a great job and Jamie Foxx is a great fake president.
    hopefully people will not look at the overall average for this move and think there are some better films out there, they should watch this
  16. Oct 31, 2013
    While the loudness and occasional stupidity that lingered in the movie where gunfights would last for about five minutes straight, there's no doubt that a summer action movie like this is quite a fun experience. While not a masterpiece, White House Down is worth the money.
  17. Aug 31, 2014
    Here we go again. Its one favorite movie after another. THIS IS WHY I LOVE ROLAND EMMERICH and his movies! From the director of Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow, and 2012 comes in a fun summer popcorn flick with great action, great actors that are just so lovable and great fun action/destruction in the white house. Yes, the 3 pervious movies I mentioned here are all my favoritesHere we go again. Its one favorite movie after another. THIS IS WHY I LOVE ROLAND EMMERICH and his movies! From the director of Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow, and 2012 comes in a fun summer popcorn flick with great action, great actors that are just so lovable and great fun action/destruction in the white house. Yes, the 3 pervious movies I mentioned here are all my favorites which made me look up to Roland Emmerich. He is outstanding. Jamie Foxx and Channing Tantum had great chemistry and I just LOVED joey King in this movie! I just freaking love her, she's a cute teenage actress. Loved this movie, became one of all-time favorites. Great work everyone Expand
  18. Jun 16, 2014
    It was worth seeing at the films... by a longshot. Action films never get any better than this. From beginning to end: nonstop, epic thrills that make you jump out of your seat. I'm gonna give it a 9 because it had a couple of flaws but other than those flaws, this is one monster of a movie.
  19. Oct 12, 2014
    This movie is yet another well made film by Roland Emmerich! The destruction of D.C. was so realistic and the special effects were amazing. I would recommend this film to anybody!
  20. Jul 9, 2013
    Loved the movie. A little over the top on the action, but I was not bored for a second. Wondered how much You Tube paid for the plugs. And of course Nike and the Air Jordans.
  21. Oct 11, 2013
    Very entertainment and worth while with your family in the living room. It has a generic father-daughter bond, keeping the damsel in distress type of movie while also going for the G.I joe feeling for stopping another war.
  22. Nov 7, 2013
    Yes, of course this should have been Die Hard 3, white undershirt and all. But WHITE HOUSE DOWN is still very good; certainly better than Die Hards 3, 4 and 5. Although the movie is long, the time flies because it is used well to draw out the secondary characters, good and bad. It is not especially believable but it is fun. Too bad the anti-Obama crowd seems so bothered by it.
  23. Nov 5, 2013
    It's stupid. It's dumb. It's violent. It's loud. It's awesome. I usually hate Roland Emmerich's films, with the exception of Stargate. But this seemed more like a 90s action flick rather than a action film from the 2010's. It's no Die Hard, which it obviously tries to be, and it's no Commando, but it is a lot of fun. Channing Tatum is not one of my favorite action stars, but it doesIt's stupid. It's dumb. It's violent. It's loud. It's awesome. I usually hate Roland Emmerich's films, with the exception of Stargate. But this seemed more like a 90s action flick rather than a action film from the 2010's. It's no Die Hard, which it obviously tries to be, and it's no Commando, but it is a lot of fun. Channing Tatum is not one of my favorite action stars, but it does alright in this film. And Jamie Fox's president kicks ass (Literately). it's full of cheesy oneliners, great action scenes and James Woods as a bad guy, what's not to love? Expand
  24. Jul 5, 2013
    Good movie good actors lots of action I liked it because the actors had to act not all this special effects you don't need name actors for special effect movies
  25. Jun 28, 2013
    Enjoyed the mix of Action, Comedy and little Suspense. Gave an "Movie" perspective of White House protocals. Enjoyed the barrage of weapons choice and Vehicle technologies. White House Security technology was probable not to far off. Acting was good not great.
  26. Jul 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A satisfying film that delivers on both the action and humor aspects. The terrorists' possession of Cale's daughter helped keep things meaningful, even if it wasn't the most original way to do it. Though some call it out as having racist tendencies, the status of the terrorists as white seems to point in another direction. The film makers changed things up instead of sticking with the text book Arab terrorists that becomes so typical of movies like this. Additionally, the film addressed actual issues in today's America without over-doing it. President Obama is portrayed in a humorous way that most viewers should enjoy.

Though the premise of the film as a whole wasn't too unique, the ending delivered big time and should send chills down the spine of any proud American citizen. All in all, White House Down becomes a comedic action-thriller that shouldn't be written off of your watchlist for this summer.
  27. Aug 1, 2013
    this was a reall good movie to wacth. the other movie about the white house was much better though
    so id rather see that one again. now that i think about it it wasnt so good
  28. Sep 22, 2013
    You know what? Don't care what metacritic says. Is a good movie. Stereotypes? Yes Always the same americans saving the world? Yes. But with a nice sense of humor, and great action scenes, you will not waste your money.
  29. Oct 18, 2013
    This isn't the greatest movie of all time, the acting wasn't the greatest as the were plenty of times when people were being shot and very clearly weren't reacting. However that is because I am counting it as a milder version of Olympus has Fallen.
  30. May 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is great. It's about some bad dudes who try to blow up the white house, 2 men, (1 dies at around the middle from the other guy putting grenades on a necklace around his neck),(pretty scary scene:o) and a little girl who saves the white house (and goes on a helicopter yay :D) So that is a GREAT movie! 10/10 Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mark Kermode
    Sep 15, 2013
    This bona-fide big-budget Hollywood flop at least has the good grace to laugh at itself as it rolls out the dingbat-daft action-movie cliches.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Sep 10, 2013
    The outcome may be pre-ordained, but Emmerich’s knack for a witty pop-culture reference, a pulse-pounding gun battle or a sneaky political undercurrent (the film has drawn fire in the US for being leftie propaganda) hasn’t deserted him.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick de Semlyen
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lincoln meets Sudden Death: a corny but raucous throwback to when Planet Hollywood was hip. Gary Busey popping out of a rose bush wouldn’t feel out of place.