White Noise

4.6

1. Mar 31, 2013
    A concept that is interesting but a movie that was made horribly and didn't make sense at all. Half the time your watching Michael Keaton watch a screen with a look on his face that he well knows he is in a garbage of a film.
  2. Aug 27, 2012
    The most boring uneventful "horror" movie that I ever laid eyes on. Such a pathetic movie with absolutely nothing to offer except misery. Who could possibly sit through this. Dreadful with a clueless dull story.
  3. Jul 26, 2011
    This movie had a great concept and touched on topics rarely explored. Although I do not believe in the paranormal this movie was epic and contained everything necessary for it to be suspenseful. Apparently it was a direct to dvd release which only adds to its cult status.
  4. Jul 3, 2011
    Pretty good with some decent scares and a great performance from Michael Keaton as the architect mourning his wife. The ghost effects I thought were really cool and the whole serial killer sub plot came totally out of the blue for me. In sum, a decent thriller that is a great movie to watch on Halloween.
    Mar 13, 2007
    I rented it for 99 cents and still felt like I got ripped off after watching it. I would call it a piece of crap, but that would be insulting to crap.
  6. WhiteN.
    Mar 9, 2006
    I really liked this movie it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time...thought the acting was really good as well i would definately recommend it ..the only negative thing i could say about it was i did not like the ending of the movie left you hanging had no clue what happened.
  7. GoolfeedanA
    Sep 25, 2005
    I expected this to be a a good scary movie. The commercials made it seem terrifying. This isnt a a good horror/thriller.
  8. TylerC
    Jul 15, 2005
    I only gave this a 3 because i think Michael Keaton is a great actor, i think the concept of contacting dead people is cool, and i did not spend 10 bucks at a theatre to see this. Why couldn't they find another star to be in this movie? Michael Keaton is the only one. Even the commentary sucked! Keaton left halfway through it because "he was on vacation." I only watched the I only gave this a 3 because i think Michael Keaton is a great actor, i think the concept of contacting dead people is cool, and i did not spend 10 bucks at a theatre to see this. Why couldn't they find another star to be in this movie? Michael Keaton is the only one. Even the commentary sucked! Keaton left halfway through it because "he was on vacation." I only watched the commentary to try to make some sense of the movie but in the end it still makes no sense!! Expand
  9. Bill
    Jul 13, 2005
    What the heck?? I like(d) Michael Keaton a lot from his older flicks. But what in the world would possess him to take this role? Good god, this has to be the worst movie I've seen in years. Could somebody please please tell me why those 3 stupid ghosts were out to get him?? The producer of this flick needs a good 'ole whipping to let a movie end like that. Just plain stupid.
  10. MattB
    Jul 6, 2005
    How many times do we have to see the same movie made over and over and over? For a better movie with almost the same story, watch The Sixth Sense, The Ring, Stir of Echoes.... It's amazing how many movies get made about dead people trying to get living people to do stuff when that's not even possible. This one wins the trophy for being the least scary and making almost no sense.
  11. BonehoC.
    Jul 4, 2005
    The first hour or so of the movie is so incredibly awesome as you watch the tired Micheal Keaton continously obess over his wife's death about a year after it even happens. Next thing we know we're being treated with an over-weight crazy "professor" who has apparently figured out that ghosts can easily be heard with nothing more than an AV camera and a couple of telivisions. The first hour or so of the movie is so incredibly awesome as you watch the tired Micheal Keaton continously obess over his wife's death about a year after it even happens. Next thing we know we're being treated with an over-weight crazy "professor" who has apparently figured out that ghosts can easily be heard with nothing more than an AV camera and a couple of telivisions. Thankfully, the audience is blessed when it all comes down to the fact that the main character's telivision just so happens to tell him when people are about to die. Along the way we recieve some cheap attempts at scares from three randomized ghosts who like scaring people because they're "BAD!" The thing I was most pleased with though is how the movie ends suddenly without an ounce of intelligence or thought. Expand
  12. CodyK.
    Jun 11, 2005
    What do you get when you have an interesting premise and a retarded plot?
  13. MarkB.
    Jun 7, 2005
    Architect Michael Keaton, understandably distraught by his wife's cruel and sudden death, obsessively attempts to respond to what may be her attempts to communicate to him through household appliances. That's the high-concept premise of a perfunctory thriller that's watchable in its own low-octane, what's-gonna-happen-next TV-movie kind of way before it completely Architect Michael Keaton, understandably distraught by his wife's cruel and sudden death, obsessively attempts to respond to what may be her attempts to communicate to him through household appliances. That's the high-concept premise of a perfunctory thriller that's watchable in its own low-octane, what's-gonna-happen-next TV-movie kind of way before it completely implodes in a confused finale that's less climactic than highly overdue. Emotionally charged, potentially heartwrenching material is handled in an impersonal manner that, given just how much palpable loss, pain and poignancy M. Night Shyamalan packs into HIS thrillers (to say nothing of how effective the 15-year-old pop culture phenomenon known as Ghost still remains, whether you still want to admit it or not) just won't do. Biggest mystery of all: why did they even bother to seek out Michael Keaton? The quirky, dark side of Tom Hanks, Keaton deserved a career at least equally as spectacular: he was by far the best Batman up to this point; he did more for Tim Burton in Beetlejuice than Burton did for him, and made Mr. Mom a far better and more popular movie than it had a right to be--and, 23 years after the fact, his monologue in Night Shift, in which he attempts to break down the etymology of the word "prostitution", STILL kills me. This generic, table-pounding no-color no-flavor role is, I guess, an improvement over his recent casting as Katie Holmes' White House dad, or as (gah!) a talking snowman...but the best use of White Noise's EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomenon) would be to determine just who, or what, killed Keaton's career! Expand
  14. unibrow
    May 26, 2005
    Pros: Can't wait til the end to kow what happens. Cons: boring!!!!, stupid ending. Overview: The first hour of the movie=5; last half-hour=-1.
  15. Greg
    May 24, 2005
    Jeez, Michael Keaton looks tired in this movie. This film could have developed the entire "contacting the dead" scenario into something much deeper, which would have had more impact. Somehow you were left at the end wondering who the malevolent entities were. Who were they and what did they want? You are left up in the air which is where this movie belongs.
  16. AD
    May 22, 2005
    Nice as a horor film but the reviews did not clue one in! It should have rated more than PG13!!!!
  17. RafaelC
    Mar 7, 2005
    Really bad and boring movie, sad story, almost fell asleep. Doesnt even scare a 7 years old kid. I want my Money back!
  18. AlexH.
    Feb 16, 2005
    I honestly have to say that I was so pumped up to see this movie. I forced everyone around me to go see and the day it came out we went to see it. I was so throughly let down I can't begin. The acting was not the best, the plot went nowhere, and there were maybe three scary parts. The VERY end, not that blasphmy involving demons they call an end, but the actual end was clever. Other I honestly have to say that I was so pumped up to see this movie. I forced everyone around me to go see and the day it came out we went to see it. I was so throughly let down I can't begin. The acting was not the best, the plot went nowhere, and there were maybe three scary parts. The VERY end, not that blasphmy involving demons they call an end, but the actual end was clever. Other than that there is no other reason that you should be compelled to see this movie ever. Expand
  19. SusanM.
    Jan 31, 2005
    I'm not usually a scary movie fan, but I liked this one quite a lot, it was smart and interesting, oh yeah and really, really creepy!! Not your average guts and gore horror flick, it's way more suspenseful and mature.
  20. VinceH.
    Jan 16, 2005
    No, it is not the horror event that everyone has thought (no horror movie in years presents as many guilty pleasures and true scares as last year's excellent "Saw"), so don't be expecting much. My main problem with this movie is that the writers use this interesting premise of the dead communicating through the TV and radio, so what do they use it for? As a narrative device to No, it is not the horror event that everyone has thought (no horror movie in years presents as many guilty pleasures and true scares as last year's excellent "Saw"), so don't be expecting much. My main problem with this movie is that the writers use this interesting premise of the dead communicating through the TV and radio, so what do they use it for? As a narrative device to propel the two leads on an investigation into a kidnapped woman who may or may not be dead. Are you kidding me? This is the laziest screenwriting I've ever seen. The director/writer have no problems embracing every cliche in the book and true chills are few and far between. The first 45 minutes or so are highly involving, but once you figure out where the movie is going (it's obvious and yet not at the same time) you really see how shallow this is. Ultimately a hollow and dissapointing "horro". Expand
  21. SheonaB.
    Jan 15, 2005
    Im only 13, but it takes alot to scare me. Honestly that movie was crap! I paid for a ticket so something would scare the crap out of me, not so i could sit there and almost fall asleep watching an idoit save other ppl when he couldnt even relize to save himself too.
  22. J
    Jan 13, 2005
    I liked the movie. I got Scared. I thought it was interesting. Maybe the bad part that everyone was talking about was when I stepped out to go to the bathroom, cause I didn't see anything that I didn't like.
  23. MartyR.
    Jan 10, 2005
    I can usually find SOME redeeming value in nearly any movie, but I sat in my seat for long minutes after the credits had rolled, really angry at having spent money for a creepy but ultimately stupidly incoherent experience.
  24. sandy
    Jan 10, 2005
    I wasn't confused at all, maybe those who are just don't know what they are watching. It actually scared the living piss out of me. That's saying a lot.
  25. TonyB.
    Jan 9, 2005
    Eh. it's not TERRIBLE. But it's not great either. It was fairly entertaining. I enjoyed seeing Micheal Keaton again. Overall though...it seemed kinda underdevelpoed. it's takes him three fourths of the movie to realize what he's supposed to be doing, and then it's pretty much over. The ending is fairly anti-climactic, and the very ending is just way to Eh. it's not TERRIBLE. But it's not great either. It was fairly entertaining. I enjoyed seeing Micheal Keaton again. Overall though...it seemed kinda underdevelpoed. it's takes him three fourths of the movie to realize what he's supposed to be doing, and then it's pretty much over. The ending is fairly anti-climactic, and the very ending is just way to "everything's ok." It's quite true that the trailer is a whole lot scarier than the film. Overall, its not terrible, it's much better than Darkness...But still not great. Expand
  26. ScottM.
    Jan 9, 2005
    I was so excited about seeing this film. It sucked. You've been warned.
  27. VireshD
    Jan 9, 2005
    I have just been to see the film... my advice is spend your money on a haircut or a new t-shirt. You have been warned.... It's very poor compared to the RING or SAW.
  28. DanaG
    Jan 9, 2005
    I think the trailer pretty did the movie justice. It had scary moments, but what made it truly frightening was the realistic aspect of it all. I was creeped out. It could have been scarier and things could have been explained better, but I've seen much, much worse.
  29. LarryR.
    Jan 9, 2005
    Just slightly scarier that Scooby battles the Pirate Ghosts. The movie is more "hole" than plot. An conclusion that has "let's end it and get out of here" written all over it. Makes as much sense as the revenge of the Three Stooges, which by the way concludes this rediculous bore of a picture.
  30. NickB.
    Jan 8, 2005
    If you are looking to be a little scared watch White Noise while it is in theaters, because once it is on dvd without the huge screen it won't be. Overall White Noise was stupid and confusing, but it was funny laughing at all the stupid corny parts.
  31. Tianna
    Jan 8, 2005
    This movie wasn't horrible - but it however tops my list of movies 'that made me scream like a little girl'.
  32. JL
    Jan 7, 2005
    Really really bad...avoid at all cost!
  33. GermanG.
    Jan 7, 2005
    No sense, no style, no conclusion. I expected a far superior movie, since the subject is very interesting. It wasn't worthed!
  34. KayB.
    Jan 6, 2005
    White Noise has a few good moments, but just ends up wildly confused. ultimately I was disappointed because the original trailer shown in theaters was actually scarier than the film.

1. There's nothing at all scary about White Noise, which goes bump in the night so often it's easy to mistake it for clumsy.
  2. What might have been a rote horror exercise becomes instead a twitchy, mannered, often amusing rote horror exercise.
    No, this isn't an adaptation of Don DeLillo’s great 1985 novel, but a muddled talking-ghosts movie.