Wild Wild West

4.3

1. Sep 13, 2011
    It may be me but I do not like this movie (except for Rodney A Grant as Hudson). The story is very thin and the laughs are cheap. The movie contains great actors so it could have been so mush better
  2. AndrewR
    Dec 10, 2007
    One of my favorite comedy/sci-fi movies of all time.
  3. Aug 4, 2016
    A very strange, hilarious, and ultimately fun popcorn flick, don't believe all of the people who think cinema should be a serious, logical affair, just kick back and enjoy the skeleton-like mix of crazy machinery, random humor and some rather nice shots of the film
  4. JackD.
    Jan 11, 2003
    I'm a big fan of Will Smith and the director Sonnenfeld, but this was a big boring dud. Real shame.
  5. SaerA.
    Apr 24, 2004
    Wild Wild West wasn't funny and it didn't have a lot of action. I think it's one of the worst movies.
  6. PatC.
    Dec 19, 2003
    Didn't seem so bad on my TV. Luckily I had given my brain the evening off. I liked the Jules Verne touches. This is obviously the finest giant mechanized spider movie ever made.
  7. RyanM.
    Oct 26, 2002
    After seeing this movie I asked myself one question, can movies get worse?
  8. GabeT.
    Mar 27, 2002
    Not a scene goes by in this curious failure of a film where a rational viewer doesn't ponder, "What WERE they thinking??" A film absent of tone, direction or wit. I can think of things I would ignore in order to see "Wild Wild West" again, but none involve cruel and unusual torture.
  9. CameronS.
    Feb 25, 2004
    An absolutely dreadful excuse for a movie. The jokes are completely flat and the adventure is completely uninvolving. Will Smith being cast in a role that was caucasian would have been okay if it had been treated as a raceless character. However, the plethora are shady writers involved make a race a real issue in this schlockerganza. The chemistry between Smith and Kline was completely An absolutely dreadful excuse for a movie. The jokes are completely flat and the adventure is completely uninvolving. Will Smith being cast in a role that was caucasian would have been okay if it had been treated as a raceless character. However, the plethora are shady writers involved make a race a real issue in this schlockerganza. The chemistry between Smith and Kline was completely dead. This isn't a very good review, because it's not worth writing for such a sh.tty, boring ride of crap. Expand
  10. AnonymousMC
    Oct 14, 2006
    Despite great talents and $170 million at Sonnefield's disposal, this film fall flat at being a new kind of western. OK, the tarantula's nice, and some gadgets are cool, and the film does show some creative moments. However, the horrid script and dialogue, ill-defined characters, lack of chemistry, and absolutely lame comedy (with very few exceptions) ultimately kill this film. Despite great talents and $170 million at Sonnefield's disposal, this film fall flat at being a new kind of western. OK, the tarantula's nice, and some gadgets are cool, and the film does show some creative moments. However, the horrid script and dialogue, ill-defined characters, lack of chemistry, and absolutely lame comedy (with very few exceptions) ultimately kill this film. Overall, Wild Wild West shows what happens when you get the flash (action, special FX, etc.) right but screw up on the basics (script, dialogue). Ultimately, it's a sore missed opportunity to modernize the western, flushing a good production design down the toilet. Expand
  11. Apr 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While the plot is a mess, the movie is the perfect summer flick in my opinion. Great action, good humor ( with the exception of the "tough my breast" part), fantastic art direction, costume design and special effects, very cool gadgets , and the creative talents of Will Smith, Kevin Kline and Kenneth Branagh. Overall, Wild Wild West is brainless fun at the movies, not anything else. And if all your expectations are to watch a brainless summer film, then Wild Wild West is perfect film for you. Expand
  12. Sep 14, 2012
    A very strange, hilarious, and ultimately fun popcorn flick, don't believe all of the people who think cinema should be a serious, logical affair, just kick back and enjoy the ridiculous mix of crazy machinery, stupid humor and some rather nice shots of Salma Hayek's butt ;)
  13. Mar 17, 2013
    Despite allot of criticism this movie has received, I liked it. Good humor, good all round performances, great effects and some really novel ideas. The biggest problems this movie has stem from the fact that you can clearly see that it could have been better and that it does have a really weak overall script. They have the talent. They've got a great director. They have the concept. TheyDespite allot of criticism this movie has received, I liked it. Good humor, good all round performances, great effects and some really novel ideas. The biggest problems this movie has stem from the fact that you can clearly see that it could have been better and that it does have a really weak overall script. They have the talent. They've got a great director. They have the concept. They have the money to do some great FX. So what went wrong? Crappy writers! Proof that even a strong chain can be broken by its weakest link. Overall: Flaws aside I still had allot of fun watching this movie and I still liked it. Deeply flawed, but enjoyable. Expand
  14. May 16, 2013
    While this was a rather entertaining film I found it to be pretty silly overall. Will Smith and Kevin Kline are actually pretty funny together so they are what makes the movie work. As far as the storyline goes there isn't much to it but its somewhat of a clever spin on the old Western films that are out there. There are good jokes and laughs but at the end of the day you can't help butWhile this was a rather entertaining film I found it to be pretty silly overall. Will Smith and Kevin Kline are actually pretty funny together so they are what makes the movie work. As far as the storyline goes there isn't much to it but its somewhat of a clever spin on the old Western films that are out there. There are good jokes and laughs but at the end of the day you can't help but just get that overall sense of being a silly film from watching it, but hey it made for a good laugh. Collapse
  15. Jun 20, 2013
    Another example of lack of ideas who came up with the idea for this dump. This is one Will Smith undoubtedly regrets. There's very little to be positive about maybe the giant metal spider. Wait maybe not.
  16. Apr 3, 2016
    Smith Misfires in 'Wild Wild' Mess!

The best thing about "Wild Wild West" is the jaunty, Stevie Wonder-sampling title tune by Will Smith, and I'm already sick of that. Besides, the movie makes you wait an hour and 47 minutes before it even lets you hear it. "Wild Wild Waste" is more like it. Waste of time, waste of money and colossal waste of talent. Let's face it – hordes of
    Smith Misfires in 'Wild Wild' Mess!

"Wild Wild Waste" is more like it.

Waste of time, waste of money and colossal waste of talent.

Let's face it – hordes of people are not going to rush out to a 19th-century costume drama, even one with an 80-foot robot spider, to see Kevin Kline, Kenneth Branagh and Salma Hayek (although Ms. Hayek certainly is easy on the eyes). The real reason anyone wants to watch "WWW" is "MiB." You're hoping against hope that pairing superstar Smith with his "Men in Black" director Barry Sonnenfeld will produce the same movie magic as their 1997 hit.

You are wrong.

Okay, this film based on the 1960s TV comedy/sci-fi/western starring Robert Conrad does have some of the same ingredients as "Men in Black." As special government agent Jim West, Smith gets to wear cool shades, dress in black and shoot guns (albeit the 1869 version of Ray-Bans, a cowboy outfit and a six-shooter). Instead of Tommy Lee Jones, his quasi-adversarial sidekick is the wacky inventor Artemus Gordon (Kline), who keeps him supplied with "Get Smart"-style secret weapons like a bayonet that pops out of his boot tip. In the special effects category, West does battle not with aliens but with the evil mastermind and double amputee, Dr. Arliss Loveless (Branagh), who plans to take over the United States with a giant flame-throwing hydraulic robot in the shape of a tarantula.

Yeah, I know, it sounds terrific, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, Smith's abundant charm is squandered by making him play second fiddle to a bunch of dumb machines that look like rejected maquettes from a "Star Wars" brainstorming session. He's not asked to be much more than a cinematic Carol Merrill here, looking glamorous while displaying a screen full of high-tech gadgets.

In fairness, though, he's not the only one. Loveless's henchwomen are also played by a quartet of wooden supermodels (Frederique Van Der Wal, Bai Ling, Musetta Vander and Sofia Eng). What Hayek is doing here I've already forgotten. Oh yeah, she's trying to rescue her scientist father from Loveless, who has kidnapped the world's brains to design his arachnoid kill-bot.

What worked about the campy old television show was that, despite its unbelievable gadgetry, it still had one foot (all right, maybe only a toe) firmly planted in historical reality. "WWW" is so far-fetched (a black secret agent in the racist deep South of the 1860s?) and implausibly futuristic (flying saw blades that act like heat-seeking missiles?) that it has to work twice as hard to make the fanciful premise work.

West's mission against Loveless is explained as a vendetta dating from the Civil War, when the nefarious Louisianan slaughtered our hero's parents in a settlement of freed slaves. As a child, West of course managed to escape on foot to Utah, where he was raised by wolves, I mean Indians.

Give it a rest.

Either make the whole dang thing one big, over-the-top cartoon (forgetting race and melodrama and feeble attempts at sense) or lose some of the bad puns ("No more Mr. Knife Guy"), stupid anachronisms like thong underwear and the expression "butt-ugly," and jokes about "Air Gordon" and wheelchair access.

Wasn't "The Avengers" punishment enough?

All concept and no content.
  2. Reviewed by: Ernest Hardy
    The humor is, at best, thudding. At its worst, it's breathtakingly stupid and offensive.
    Lots of laughs, lots of fisticuffs, lots of cool toys, lots of stuff getting blown up: Who could ask for anything more from a summer movie?