7.3

1. Sep 1, 2014
    Winter's Bone is a human drama that look at the lives of a troubled family during a unique time of need. You'll walk out truly caring about these characters and the devastation from the screen. Jennifer Lawrence proves she is already one of the greatest actresses of her time.
  2. Aug 30, 2014
    This one was alright to pretty good. Jennifer Lawrence delivers a true powerhouse performance, while John Hawkes is great in a supporting role. The look and feel of this film is also very good and feels very authentic and cold (perfect for the season it takes place in). The direction from Debra Granik is also very good and the way the story is told is solid. However, it does go a littleThis one was alright to pretty good. Jennifer Lawrence delivers a true powerhouse performance, while John Hawkes is great in a supporting role. The look and feel of this film is also very good and feels very authentic and cold (perfect for the season it takes place in). The direction from Debra Granik is also very good and the way the story is told is solid. However, it does go a little slow at times and the bleakness is at times overwhelming and suffocates an interesting story. Plus, there are some more gruesome scenes (not really graphic, but still) that are a pet peeve of mine in films that really take me out of a film. However, as a whole, Winter's Bone is a solid look at rural life that manages to be at least somewhat interesting throughout. I am surprised this one got the praise it did, because I did not find it to be overly special, aside from the acting and the cinematography. Expand
  3. Jul 9, 2014
    A pretty slow and boring movie. The actors are decent, but the story is not very catchy. The depressive atmosphere of poverty is done well. But watching the movie is not very entertaining.
  4. Jun 7, 2014
    Winter's Bone is decent. It's well shot, closely directed, and convincingly acted. This might be Jennifer Lawrence's most naturalistic performance. The atmosphere is bleak yet somehow also beautiful. This is however far from the perfect movie that critics have made it out to be. The story lacks momentum. A good portion of the film is basically just Lawrence going from house to houseWinter's Bone is decent. It's well shot, closely directed, and convincingly acted. This might be Jennifer Lawrence's most naturalistic performance. The atmosphere is bleak yet somehow also beautiful. This is however far from the perfect movie that critics have made it out to be. The story lacks momentum. A good portion of the film is basically just Lawrence going from house to house asking questions to the local yokels. The film is mostly naturalistic and convincing, but there are some scenes in which the characters feel like stereotypical caricatures. The story's lack of dramatic heft and forward momentum is a crippling flaw. These are things that thrillers need in order to actually thrill. However, since it is mostly successful with bringing the main characters to life, has some convincing performances, and uses its setting well, I'm still going to recommend it to fans of understated films, as well as independent film fans. It doesn't reach the greatness though that many claim it does. Expand
  5. Mar 17, 2014
    An astoundingly boring, self-important, intentionally-stupid film that has the beginnings of a good plot, and then hides behind its unique setting and poverty-centered themes to cover up the simple fact that it's neither a well-written nor a well-directed film. Strip away the setting and you don't even get half an interesting story. Without the hyper-poverty, backwoods backdrop that *is*An astoundingly boring, self-important, intentionally-stupid film that has the beginnings of a good plot, and then hides behind its unique setting and poverty-centered themes to cover up the simple fact that it's neither a well-written nor a well-directed film. Strip away the setting and you don't even get half an interesting story. Without the hyper-poverty, backwoods backdrop that *is* the film in all its entirety, this staggeringly slow romp with no interesting characters and lazy directing is the beginning of a story that never turns into anything but a manipulative set-piece that clearly believes its setting is enough (for critics, I guess it was), one which wouldn't be awarded for anything at all if not for the setting. I expected a lot from this film, but spent the entire time waiting for some sort of character or plot development, something to ignite the story into something worth watching, as opposed to just its setting. Truly a manipulative film that seemed to fool everyone with an interesting-to-some romp through the backwoods in exchange for remarkably lazy directing. Boring beyond belief, and shamelessly self-important. Expand
  6. Jan 26, 2014
    There is a phenomenon that occurs in music, movies, and most performance art in general when something is average or below average and so committed to that mediocrity that people will inexplicably try to make you believe that there is so much more to it, and you may need a special gift or perspective to be able to experience it. Maybe it's because they don't want to feel left out from theThere is a phenomenon that occurs in music, movies, and most performance art in general when something is average or below average and so committed to that mediocrity that people will inexplicably try to make you believe that there is so much more to it, and you may need a special gift or perspective to be able to experience it. Maybe it's because they don't want to feel left out from the hardcore crowd who lives by it or the experts who exalt it and describe it in their essays with words like "triumph". Whatever the reason I am here to deliver good news: those attitudes are false and your tastes are calibrated accurately. That being said, this movie is dull. It could've been filmed in any eastern patch of woods in October and it could've been acted by anyone. It's as deep as a rumor about something terrible, as a flashlight underneath someones face as they tell a ghost story. Don't let anyone tell you it's more. Expand
  7. Dec 16, 2013
    Great movie with a gentle and liable development. It has a labored background that makes it interesting and complete in all aspects. It is necessary to highlight Jennifer Lawrence's performance as a brilliant one.
  8. Dec 12, 2013
    Driven by the outstanding lead performance supported by a bleak and raw atmosphere, Winter's Bone took me two watches to really appreciate. Truly real-world and thought provoking.
  9. Aug 2, 2013
    What takes this movie to the next level is the fact that there are actual people who live like this. This is someone's reality. You are thrust into a horror story that many of us could only imagine, and yet real people out there live through this horror everyday. A terrific script, and phenomenal performances from Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes. This is one of the best indie films ofWhat takes this movie to the next level is the fact that there are actual people who live like this. This is someone's reality. You are thrust into a horror story that many of us could only imagine, and yet real people out there live through this horror everyday. A terrific script, and phenomenal performances from Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes. This is one of the best indie films of our generation. Expand
  10. Jul 8, 2013
    This film is Jennifer Lawrence's coming out party. She is fantastic as a tough girl who has to find her father while taking care of her siblings. Also John Hawkes gives a strong performance as Lawrence's uncle.
  11. Jun 17, 2013
    What an overrated piece of trash Winter's Bone is... or should I say trailer trash? Outside of Jennifer Lawrence's outstanding acting job the rest of the movie is a big pile of crap. It's 90+ minutes of the dullest possible movie watching experience you can get combined with a mediocre plot and filled with characters that have no backbone and can't be related to. Honestly, if people likeWhat an overrated piece of trash Winter's Bone is... or should I say trailer trash? Outside of Jennifer Lawrence's outstanding acting job the rest of the movie is a big pile of crap. It's 90+ minutes of the dullest possible movie watching experience you can get combined with a mediocre plot and filled with characters that have no backbone and can't be related to. Honestly, if people like that really still exist, I could care less because they're all garbage. This movie is the perfect example of critics not knowing anything about film and only giving it high acclaim because it's different and not well known. Unless you want to see the reason Lawrence was cast to play Katniss, another tough young women who is forced to take care of her sibling(s) with next to nothing because her mother is worthless and her dad is gone, don't bother wasting your time. Expand
  12. Mar 1, 2013
    Nobody should underestimate just how talented Jennifer is. A rich and profoundly grim realistic tale of the dark sides of society. It has suspense and mystery in this heroine's journey.
  13. Feb 24, 2013
    Winter's Bone won best film at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival and was also nominated for 4 Academy Awards including best picture. While it was an outstanding story, it defiantly didn't deserve 3 of the 4 nominations. The film is very dark and slow moving, with lots of unnecessary dramatic pauses. Randomly they jump into country music and shots of hillbillies, it was all very odd. While IWinter's Bone won best film at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival and was also nominated for 4 Academy Awards including best picture. While it was an outstanding story, it defiantly didn't deserve 3 of the 4 nominations. The film is very dark and slow moving, with lots of unnecessary dramatic pauses. Randomly they jump into country music and shots of hillbillies, it was all very odd. While I really enjoyed this movie, especially the storyline, it gave new meaning to the words "white trash". The only Oscar nomination that was warranted, is that of Lead Actress, Jennifer Lawrence. I've never seen her in anything before, but god was she impressive. In a world of darkness, drugs, murder, and despair, Ree stood out, everyone who came in contact with her knew she was special and so is the actress who played her. Normally movies like this aren't for me. It was the story that attracted me to this film, but it was Lawrence's performance that made this film worth seeing. Expand
  14. Feb 23, 2013
    Lawrence shows off many the skills in her acting arsenal The film seems to drag along most of the time. The best part of the film is the authenticity of the setting in rural missouri.
  15. Feb 19, 2013
    The lead, played aptly by Jennifer Lawrence, must contend with taking care of her inept mother and younger brother and sister her out of the picture father, tied in with meth-cooking and pushing, has put their home up for bail. Ree (Lawrence) goes out to search for her father, asking the locals friend and foe where to even look. Unfortunately for Ree, her meth run neighborhood does notThe lead, played aptly by Jennifer Lawrence, must contend with taking care of her inept mother and younger brother and sister her out of the picture father, tied in with meth-cooking and pushing, has put their home up for bail. Ree (Lawrence) goes out to search for her father, asking the locals friend and foe where to even look. Unfortunately for Ree, her meth run neighborhood does not want her meddling, especially looking for her father. It's a slower paced, quiet, yet strong and vicious film. Dark and edgy. Expand
  16. Jan 20, 2013
    In all honesty, the main reason I sat through this movie was because the protagonist, Bree (Jennifer Lawrence), managed to look simply stunning in every shot. Acting is pretty good and the story isn't all that bad but it feels anachronistic. It's definitely not set in the 60's because you can tell from the fire-arms and cars but it might as well be given the conditions these peopleIn all honesty, the main reason I sat through this movie was because the protagonist, Bree (Jennifer Lawrence), managed to look simply stunning in every shot. Acting is pretty good and the story isn't all that bad but it feels anachronistic. It's definitely not set in the 60's because you can tell from the fire-arms and cars but it might as well be given the conditions these people supposedly live in. This struck me as unrealistic. The story moves along at a snail's pace and although there is closure at the end, most character's motivations are never really explained. I couldn't help but be reminded of shows like MTV's Teen Moms. I'd recommend if it you're a fan of movies like Deliverance infused with some MTV drama. Expand
  17. Jan 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story felt so real that I almost forgot it was a movie. The journey of a girl who has to prove her own father's death for her family's living felt so chilly and realistic. Jennifer doesn't show her own emotion easily but deliver her urgency 120 percent. We should recommend this movie to our friends who thinks she can meet a handsome vampire if she move to the state like Phoenix. Expand
  18. Jan 6, 2013
    A very powerful film. the acting brought me to my knees but there was no finishing blow. It confused me why I didn't love it but it just didn't capture a good ending for the movie in general.
  19. Dec 8, 2012
    Great movie. Drags a little at times but overall this was really well done. Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic, worthy of every praise she got; it's plain to see why this turned her into a mega-star overnight.
  20. Nov 8, 2012
    Jennifer Lawrence unleashes a mammoth performance in a beautiful, real, haunting story. No special effects, but 90 minutes will pass and you'll sit back in your chair and wonder where the time went. This is a special movie that deserves to be remembered.
  21. Oct 15, 2012
    Winter's Bone is a genuine triumph, a great movie with astounding performances so natural, so genuine, that you forget it's a movie ,With Winter's Bone, Granik has morphed from a director worth watching to one who demands our undivided attention. She's got mine.
  22. Oct 1, 2012
    When the cause itself slips off of the context from the real problem, it starts to fall away, since its only matter is the subjectivity for grieve. So, distancing pain from the objective matter is what really counted on the resolution over the problem... It's extremely terrifying to deal with the fact that hands are held back every-time she seeks for them, and the only person she's got toWhen the cause itself slips off of the context from the real problem, it starts to fall away, since its only matter is the subjectivity for grieve. So, distancing pain from the objective matter is what really counted on the resolution over the problem... It's extremely terrifying to deal with the fact that hands are held back every-time she seeks for them, and the only person she's got to fill the empty hole inside of her is no one other than herself, Expand
  23. Aug 24, 2012
    This film was extremely well thought-out and executed but lacked the pacing which I enjoy in a film. It was very slow and monotonous, in the same way as No Country for Old Men, which I am sure was done on purpose but just stops me from giving this film outstanding marks. It was also acted brilliantly, with John Hawkes stealing the show. Debra Granik did well in her first 'big hit'.
  24. Jun 18, 2012
    One of the best thrilling films out there on the market. The films possesed such authenticity of haunting experience and encourages the viewers faith towards the "right" action and not to be blended by any external powers beside from ourselves. It's a riveting social-realist drama that will grip you throughout the whole journey of this young girl. A Powerfully Heroic Film.
  25. Apr 18, 2012
    This movie is really amazing, the story in Winter's Bone is interesting, and the better is the performance of Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic. This indie movie is fantastic.
  26. Mar 24, 2012
    Winter's Bone is to put it kindly a bore. it is an almost failure of a film except for the semi solid performance of jennifer Lawrence. It is a tale of backwoods trash that takes a tiny amount of real sentiment and spreads it so thinly along its narrative that your attention wants to go elsewhere but the problem is your mind can't and you end of wondering why am i sitting here?
  27. Feb 3, 2012
    Just watched it. Dear God in Heaven, what a painfully overrated film. Bland, stark (in a bad way) and boring. It might have been a much better production as a short film. The story failed to grab me once. A tale of backwoods trash that takes a tiny amount of real sentiment and spreads it so thinly along its narrative that your attention WANTS to go elsewhere. Missable. Very missable.
  28. Jan 6, 2012
    Fantastic movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  29. Dec 30, 2011
    Jennifer Lawrence gives a star making performance and it has a gripping story even though some of the cast gives bad performances and its low budget makes it suffer. I give this movie 82%.
  30. Nov 5, 2011
    It sports a good performance from Jennifer Lawrence but where the hell is the pure cinematic artistry in this????? It's supposed to be a thriller, well it's boring as hell! 2/4 stars.

1. Reviewed by: Ella Taylor
    On its face, Winter's Bone, like "Down to the Bone," is a bleakly realist drama about a community decimated by poverty and hopelessness, yet bound together by deep ties of class, gender and blood.
  2. Spectacular for its humanity, austere beauty and heart-stopping urgency.
  3. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Every so often a film gets under our skin with its haunting authenticity, reinforcing our faith in the wonderfully transporting power of cinematic storytelling. Winter's Bone is unquestionably that film.