Winter's Bone

7.3

1. Mar 24, 2012
    Winter's Bone is to put it kindly a bore. it is an almost failure of a film except for the semi solid performance of jennifer Lawrence. It is a tale of backwoods trash that takes a tiny amount of real sentiment and spreads it so thinly along its narrative that your attention wants to go elsewhere but the problem is your mind can't and you end of wondering why am i sitting here?
  2. Jun 17, 2013
    What an overrated piece of trash Winter's Bone is... or should I say trailer trash? Outside of Jennifer Lawrence's outstanding acting job the rest of the movie is a big pile of crap. It's 90+ minutes of the dullest possible movie watching experience you can get combined with a mediocre plot and filled with characters that have no backbone and can't be related to. Honestly, if people likeWhat an overrated piece of trash Winter's Bone is... or should I say trailer trash? Outside of Jennifer Lawrence's outstanding acting job the rest of the movie is a big pile of crap. It's 90+ minutes of the dullest possible movie watching experience you can get combined with a mediocre plot and filled with characters that have no backbone and can't be related to. Honestly, if people like that really still exist, I could care less because they're all garbage. This movie is the perfect example of critics not knowing anything about film and only giving it high acclaim because it's different and not well known. Unless you want to see the reason Lawrence was cast to play Katniss, another tough young women who is forced to take care of her sibling(s) with next to nothing because her mother is worthless and her dad is gone, don't bother wasting your time. Expand
  3. Nov 5, 2011
    It sports a good performance from Jennifer Lawrence but where the hell is the pure cinematic artistry in this????? It's supposed to be a thriller, well it's boring as hell! 2/4 stars.
  4. Feb 2, 2011
    I really don't understand why this film got such high praise! I get that gives us a realistic look at the lives of poor people living in small tow, USA. Even though Jennifer Lewis deliveries a very convincing performance as Ree the 17 year old small town girl dealing with a lot of issues, this still was just a boring, and pointless film!!! They have made better TV movies! Bottom line, thisI really don't understand why this film got such high praise! I get that gives us a realistic look at the lives of poor people living in small tow, USA. Even though Jennifer Lewis deliveries a very convincing performance as Ree the 17 year old small town girl dealing with a lot of issues, this still was just a boring, and pointless film!!! They have made better TV movies! Bottom line, this film was a waste of time so don't bother!!!
    Acting: Great
    Storyline: Weak
    Characters: Boring
  5. Jan 23, 2011
    I really couldnt believe how high rating this movie got. 1 hour I wont ever get back. Movie is so boring and slow, I much rather read the book than sit though this worthless movie.
  6. Mar 17, 2014
    An astoundingly boring, self-important, intentionally-stupid film that has the beginnings of a good plot, and then hides behind its unique setting and poverty-centered themes to cover up the simple fact that it's neither a well-written nor a well-directed film. Strip away the setting and you don't even get half an interesting story. Without the hyper-poverty, backwoods backdrop that *is*An astoundingly boring, self-important, intentionally-stupid film that has the beginnings of a good plot, and then hides behind its unique setting and poverty-centered themes to cover up the simple fact that it's neither a well-written nor a well-directed film. Strip away the setting and you don't even get half an interesting story. Without the hyper-poverty, backwoods backdrop that *is* the film in all its entirety, this staggeringly slow romp with no interesting characters and lazy directing is the beginning of a story that never turns into anything but a manipulative set-piece that clearly believes its setting is enough (for critics, I guess it was), one which wouldn't be awarded for anything at all if not for the setting. I expected a lot from this film, but spent the entire time waiting for some sort of character or plot development, something to ignite the story into something worth watching, as opposed to just its setting. Truly a manipulative film that seemed to fool everyone with an interesting-to-some romp through the backwoods in exchange for remarkably lazy directing. Boring beyond belief, and shamelessly self-important. Expand
  7. Feb 3, 2012
    Just watched it. Dear God in Heaven, what a painfully overrated film. Bland, stark (in a bad way) and boring. It might have been a much better production as a short film. The story failed to grab me once. A tale of backwoods trash that takes a tiny amount of real sentiment and spreads it so thinly along its narrative that your attention WANTS to go elsewhere. Missable. Very missable.
  8. Mar 14, 2011
    I read some of the reviews on here and IMDB and thought that at the very least this was going to be a watchable movie. Man was I wrong! It was terrible. Boring, turgid, dreary and anyone who says the story is believable needs to get there brain examined. I wanted to like this movie, but it proved impossible.
  9. Oct 28, 2010
    Critics, Users? have you lost your minds? Boring boring boring. I must use 150 characters to write a review but this film has left me so numb that I have nothing to say. The wife was smart and left the movie after 10 menets,
  10. Dec 25, 2010
    Wow! I can't believe the high reviews for this awful movie. This movie was extremely boring and pointless. I will say that the two main characters were good actors and the scenery was good, but everything else was just either boring or silly. I was born and raised in the Ozarks and this is just not a fair or realistic representation of the people that live there. Regardless, please pleaseWow! I can't believe the high reviews for this awful movie. This movie was extremely boring and pointless. I will say that the two main characters were good actors and the scenery was good, but everything else was just either boring or silly. I was born and raised in the Ozarks and this is just not a fair or realistic representation of the people that live there. Regardless, please please please don't waste your time with this farcical and boring movie. I want my $1 back from redbox. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ella Taylor
    On its face, Winter's Bone, like "Down to the Bone," is a bleakly realist drama about a community decimated by poverty and hopelessness, yet bound together by deep ties of class, gender and blood.
  2. Spectacular for its humanity, austere beauty and heart-stopping urgency.
  3. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Every so often a film gets under our skin with its haunting authenticity, reinforcing our faith in the wonderfully transporting power of cinematic storytelling. Winter's Bone is unquestionably that film.