Winter's Bone

7.3

1. JamesS
    Jun 11, 2010
    Saw in LA, the best movie i've seen this year.
  2. StephenM.
    Jun 23, 2010
    The best movie I've seen this year.
  3. MarilynN.
    Jun 28, 2010
    This brilliant movie has l: an amazing success in setting, like you have lived there your whole life, 2: brilliant acting with my vote for best supporting actor in her uncle, 3: unlike so many movies, there is a logical, relentless, moving plot that makes complete sense and 4: each scene stands on its own merit. I must see it again.
  4. Aug 22, 2010
    Saw it today. This a great movie. The seamless and elegant portrayal of modern American rural decay through an apocalyptic Greek Mythic narrative is stunning. Hard people making hard choices while dealing with ancient codes of blood loyalty or blood betrayal. First rate, and a wonderful performance from Jennifer Lawrence.
  5. Oct 26, 2010
    If the film lacks a certain pinch of mesmerizing drama, it makes up the difference with an exquisite lived-in quality. A frightening, yet crookedly poetic realism. http://www.sonara.net.
  6. Dec 30, 2010
    Jennifer Lawrence is a star-there's no getting around that.She's attractive yes-but it will be her great instinctive acting that will keep audiences coming back for more.
  7. Nov 24, 2010
    The modern hillbilly doesn't make moonshine. He lives in poverty-stricken places like the Ozarks and cooks meth for his money. He lives in a paranoid, violent world where everyone's related and all live by a social code that excludes the law and outsiders. Director Debra Granik creates a viscerally real setting as she tells the story of a girl who has to challenge this social order to saveThe modern hillbilly doesn't make moonshine. He lives in poverty-stricken places like the Ozarks and cooks meth for his money. He lives in a paranoid, violent world where everyone's related and all live by a social code that excludes the law and outsiders. Director Debra Granik creates a viscerally real setting as she tells the story of a girl who has to challenge this social order to save her family. Jennifer Lawrence, outstanding in the lead role, is supported by uniformly strong performances and writing. Winter's Bone isn't a lot of laughs but it's one of the best movies of the year. Expand
  8. Nov 28, 2010
    One of the greatest movies of all time. Debra Granik and the entire cast are first rate. In spite of it being made for only two million I hope it gets consideration at the Oscars for Best Director (Granik), Best Actress (Lawrence), Best Supporting Actor (Hawkes), and in fact the whole cast.One of the greatest movies of all time. Debra Granik and the entire cast are first rate. In spite of it being made for only two million I hope it gets consideration at the Oscars for Best Director (Granik), Best Actress (Lawrence), Best Supporting Actor (Hawkes), and in fact the whole cast. DougN. Expand
  9. Oct 1, 2012
    When the cause itself slips off of the context from the real problem, it starts to fall away, since its only matter is the subjectivity for grieve. So, distancing pain from the objective matter is what really counted on the resolution over the problem... It's extremely terrifying to deal with the fact that hands are held back every-time she seeks for them, and the only person she's got toWhen the cause itself slips off of the context from the real problem, it starts to fall away, since its only matter is the subjectivity for grieve. So, distancing pain from the objective matter is what really counted on the resolution over the problem... It's extremely terrifying to deal with the fact that hands are held back every-time she seeks for them, and the only person she's got to fill the empty hole inside of her is no one other than herself, Expand
  10. Jan 6, 2012
    Fantastic movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. Jun 17, 2011
    Beautiful, an absolutely beautiful movie. It illustrates the care-free nature of childhood and the larger than life problems we adults get into to, all the while giving us a herione that's somewhere in between the two, thrust into a situation that she has no control of. Jennifer Lawrence gives an Oscar worthy performance as Ree, and Debra Granik directs it perfectly.
  12. Apr 18, 2012
    This movie is really amazing, the story in Winter's Bone is interesting, and the better is the performance of Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic. This indie movie is fantastic.
  13. Sep 1, 2014
    Winter's Bone is a human drama that look at the lives of a troubled family during a unique time of need. You'll walk out truly caring about these characters and the devastation from the screen. Jennifer Lawrence proves she is already one of the greatest actresses of her time.
  14. Jun 18, 2012
    One of the best thrilling films out there on the market. The films possesed such authenticity of haunting experience and encourages the viewers faith towards the "right" action and not to be blended by any external powers beside from ourselves. It's a riveting social-realist drama that will grip you throughout the whole journey of this young girl. A Powerfully Heroic Film.
  15. Jan 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story felt so real that I almost forgot it was a movie. The journey of a girl who has to prove her own father's death for her family's living felt so chilly and realistic. Jennifer doesn't show her own emotion easily but deliver her urgency 120 percent. We should recommend this movie to our friends who thinks she can meet a handsome vampire if she move to the state like Phoenix. Expand
  16. Aug 2, 2013
    What takes this movie to the next level is the fact that there are actual people who live like this. This is someone's reality. You are thrust into a horror story that many of us could only imagine, and yet real people out there live through this horror everyday. A terrific script, and phenomenal performances from Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes. This is one of the best indie films ofWhat takes this movie to the next level is the fact that there are actual people who live like this. This is someone's reality. You are thrust into a horror story that many of us could only imagine, and yet real people out there live through this horror everyday. A terrific script, and phenomenal performances from Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes. This is one of the best indie films of our generation. Expand
  17. Jun 9, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In a world of male dominance in the film industry, Winter's Bone provided a breath of fresh air with its strong female lead and female director. We start out getting to know Ree as almost a parent and watch as she looks on at those dreams that she was never able to fulfill because of her family responsibilities. We learn that she's more responsible than her own mother and has to provide for the entire family. The most striking to me in this movie were the intensely vivid and realistic scenes. The scenery and props and costumes looked just like I would imagine them to be in this situation. They were dirty, used, and enhanced everything tenfold. It was almost magical because it was so realistic that you couldn't ignore it. I actually really relate a lot to the area she grew up on. I'm not from Missouri but I've spent my fair share of time there as a fellow Midwesterner and I honestly saw a lot of my maternal family with hers. The kind of grungy, real backwoods kind of people. It's a lifestyle. One that I know. And these Midwestern settings and characters are so relatable to me because even if it's not me, it's certainly someone I know. Ree is someone that I would know, someone that would be related to me. I'm far enough away that this isn't ~my family~, but it's in my blood.

"That **** poison–it rips the skin off your bones." Ree's father, Jessup, is a drug dealer and he's missing, most likely (and as we find out later actually is) dead. It's a dangerous business and he got wrapped up in it, yet we don't know the reasons behind his disappearance, whether it was to avoid his court date or because he has gotten in trouble with the wrong people, but either way, his family's house is in jeopardy. There are a couple moments in the movie where I become confused as to the relationships Ree has with these people and why they care so much about her father, but you kind of come to this realization that it doesn't matter. We're not supposed to know everything about her life–we're not her! We really see the complexity of these relationships that she has with people and how, at 17, she is seen as the adult in her family. "What are we gonna do with you, baby girl?" "Kill me, I guess." "That idea's been said already, got any others?" They have no mercy.

Uncertainty is a major theme throughout because we're really as unsure about the future as Ree is. She's trying to save her family and also figure out what happened to her father at the same time, and we're just along for the ride. Ultimately, she does get to keep her house but her father is also dead by forces unknown to her. She must make it seem as if nobody knows who is responsible so she can keep the house, although foul play was certainly involved. He's dead but the family is ok and that's all that's really important to 17 year-old Ree who is just a child trying to keep her family afloat and I think that's all she can really process. We're looking through her eyes and she's coping the best she can. "Even if you find out, you can't ever let me know who killed him."
  18. Apr 30, 2016
    Outstanding! This movie feels so real and raw, with its visuals and performances, that it almost tricks the audience into thinking it is a documentary. Very intimate, suspenseful, a very meticulously researched, in depth study about life in the Ozarks. Debra Granik's direction, every actor's performance, even from the local non-actors, works together perfectly to recreate this realty. ButOutstanding! This movie feels so real and raw, with its visuals and performances, that it almost tricks the audience into thinking it is a documentary. Very intimate, suspenseful, a very meticulously researched, in depth study about life in the Ozarks. Debra Granik's direction, every actor's performance, even from the local non-actors, works together perfectly to recreate this realty. But of course, the highlight of the movie is its young heroine Ree Dolly, portrayed with such unusual intensity and maturity by one of the best actresses working today, Jennifer Lawrence. Expand
  19. EmmaN
    Jun 20, 2010
    Just saw this at the Edinburgh International Film Festival where it was warmly received by all. A compelling and fresh story that is carried along by the strong female character of Ree Dolley who was expertly portrayed by Jennifer Lawrence. The film is not a happy one, but it feels more truthful than its hollywood counterparts and there is something about the film that rings authentic and Just saw this at the Edinburgh International Film Festival where it was warmly received by all. A compelling and fresh story that is carried along by the strong female character of Ree Dolley who was expertly portrayed by Jennifer Lawrence. The film is not a happy one, but it feels more truthful than its hollywood counterparts and there is something about the film that rings authentic and makes this film stand out from others. Expand
  20. jeffh
    Jun 18, 2010
    A wonderfully moving story of life in the ozarks.It is well written and superbly acted.There are many young women living in this culture with the outstanding resolve of Ree and the burning desire to protect and provide for their loved ones.Not surprised that the 2 negetive reviews can from New YOrk Critics as they have no grip on reality.
  21. PeterS.
    Jun 19, 2010
    Great film, definitely see it! A rare look into the dingy corners of America. Young Ree Dolly faces adversity and heartbreak and stubbornly refuses to give in to it. The characters ring true. Interesting study of how poor times cause people to restrain their emotions in their relations--they simply can't afford to let them loose. A low budget gem.
  22. Lyn
    Feb 20, 2011
    A masterpiece of elegiac bleakness, yet somehow not entirely hopeless. It's well-acted, though the faces have a sort of blankness when compared with the goofy mugging overacting we're used to in a lot of movies and on TV. (You'll recognize the numb expression if you've been around people who've just about hit rock bottom.) It's all filmed on location in Missouri and might remind you of theA masterpiece of elegiac bleakness, yet somehow not entirely hopeless. It's well-acted, though the faces have a sort of blankness when compared with the goofy mugging overacting we're used to in a lot of movies and on TV. (You'll recognize the numb expression if you've been around people who've just about hit rock bottom.) It's all filmed on location in Missouri and might remind you of the TV show "Justified," which has a gritty Kentucky setting. As with many well-done books and movies, you wonder whatever happened to these people -- even though you know the story is fiction. Expand
  23. Sep 19, 2010
    A glacial chunk in the midst of this summer's movie choices, Winter's Bone is an unsettling bad dream, a grim tale that becomes mythic. It features the must see performance of Kentucky-born Jennifer Lawrence (The Burning Plain). In Ree Dolly, Lawrence reveals a scrappy 17-year-old who shepherds her family on the brink of losing their home.

Winter's Bone, which won Sundance's Grand Jury

Winter's Bone, which won Sundance's Grand Jury Award, reveals "another America": a land of poverty and ignorance, an Ozark mountain hell. The young adults of Ree's world can escape this ghetto only by joining the Army or setting up a meth lab.

Drug-dealing Jessup jumps bail one day, leaving the family home as collateral. The sheriff arrives. Unless Jessup can be found, the law wants to repossess the home where Ree lives with her catatonic mother and younger siblings Sonny and Ashlee (Isaiah Stone and Ashlee Thompson).

Ree decides to fight impending disaster. "Iâ
  24. Oct 22, 2010
    Bleak and at times very intense Drama that moves at its own pace through the cold and desolate Ozarks. Outstanding performance by Jennifer Lawrence as Ree Dolly. She carries the movie like few could.
  25. Aug 18, 2011
    I loved the bleak-yet-hopeful atmosphere, and Jennifer Lawrence plays her part wonderfully. Pretty heavy though, so don't watch it if you're looking for light fare.
  26. Nov 22, 2010
    If someone could take a simple idea, it would probably explode into a never ending story that would snowball out of control. Well, Director Debra Granik definitely keeps a simple idea simple. With a plot that is simple as "Where's my father?" And strangely, the entire movie is about that. Might seem boring for someone who is used to major confusing plots, but what drives the film is theIf someone could take a simple idea, it would probably explode into a never ending story that would snowball out of control. Well, Director Debra Granik definitely keeps a simple idea simple. With a plot that is simple as "Where's my father?" And strangely, the entire movie is about that. Might seem boring for someone who is used to major confusing plots, but what drives the film is the pure dramatic aspects which aren't sugar coated in any way. It's as if you were walking around with the 17 year old daughter, which her mother has a drinking problem, and will never talk to her. And her father is nowhere, in which we find out he has had some trouble with the law, which makes the entire family being put in jeopardy of losing their house if he doesn't return. Not only that, but she also has to take care of her two siblings. Times are tough for her, and by the end rolls around, you can get a sense that hope and greatness for her is a long time away. So it's depressing, but a masterpiece! Expand
  27. Dec 4, 2010
    This was by far the best movie of the summer. To elaborate in this film you have the setting of simplicity innoccence a place away from urban polution. Then You have the plot of problems of Americas lower class scraping the bottom of the trash for a meal so that even the courages have to regurgitate and again swallow their dignity. Finally the characters are a what happens when you pitThis was by far the best movie of the summer. To elaborate in this film you have the setting of simplicity innoccence a place away from urban polution. Then You have the plot of problems of Americas lower class scraping the bottom of the trash for a meal so that even the courages have to regurgitate and again swallow their dignity. Finally the characters are a what happens when you pit a child in a box for 2 years let him out into the ghetto then make his biggest role model a snitch do a corrupt cop. Yes these people in the mountains all survive through ignorance and some perverse excuse to live. And that foundation is what makes this a good movie. Expand
  28. Jan 13, 2011
    Winter's Bone has managed to create a hero who is 100% grit. Ree Dolly is potentially one of the greatest movie heroes ever; completely solemn and brave as hell, only thinking of her family and has no hesitations as to do so or not. Jennifer Lawrence deserves an Oscar and John Hawkes, at least a nomination. The setting was perfect and the cinematography was very well done. This movieWinter's Bone has managed to create a hero who is 100% grit. Ree Dolly is potentially one of the greatest movie heroes ever; completely solemn and brave as hell, only thinking of her family and has no hesitations as to do so or not. Jennifer Lawrence deserves an Oscar and John Hawkes, at least a nomination. The setting was perfect and the cinematography was very well done. This movie wasn't that tense, to me, but the overall performance of the cast and the great writing proved this film to be greatness. Expand
  29. Feb 25, 2011
    The realism of the movie is what makes it so interesting. Jennifer Lawrence did an amazing job and she deserves the Oscar nomination that she had, I wonder if she is going to win... Great writing, great actors, great story, clearly a must see. Visit CriticSpot - http://critispot.blogspot.com - blog for more of these reviews.
  30. Feb 13, 2011
    Great drama with smooth and fine acting. Intriguing story about life and customs in part of America that we dont see very often. Maybe an Oscar potential...?
  31. Oct 23, 2011
    Unsettling, yet beautiful. Winters Bone is truly heart-breaking at times. Granik captures every emotion perfectly showing the characters diverse fall in the struggle to cope in a rural and dangerous world. It proves that a low budget can actually provide such poignant film-making. Not to mention a superb and mesmerizing performance is offered by Jennifer Lawrence.
  32. Nov 8, 2012
    Jennifer Lawrence unleashes a mammoth performance in a beautiful, real, haunting story. No special effects, but 90 minutes will pass and you'll sit back in your chair and wonder where the time went. This is a special movie that deserves to be remembered.
  33. Oct 15, 2012
    Winter's Bone is a genuine triumph, a great movie with astounding performances so natural, so genuine, that you forget it's a movie ,With Winter's Bone, Granik has morphed from a director worth watching to one who demands our undivided attention. She's got mine.
  34. Apr 28, 2016
    Winter's Bone brings every bone down to the ground like soft grass with dirt. You'll bring its decoy just like bringing a pet dog down on the road. Winter's Bone is lovable.
  35. Dec 3, 2010
    Jennifer Lawrence is a remarkably talented young actress who carries most of the film on her shoulders which coupled with the inspired direction of Debra Granik, bring us one of the most significant films of the year. A strong contender for the awards.
  36. Nov 12, 2010
    And so it is said... The thing I like most about this movie is that it dared to be different. Not trying to draw us in with bikinis or expolisions but to drop us in a situation that has us wishing nothing but the best for this girl and her family...as we watch from a distance and ask ourselves would we have the strength to endure such a situation for the ones we love? The actress is magnificent.
  37. Dec 22, 2010
    A dangerous neighborhood, a mentally-illed mom, two little siblings, and a meth-cooking dad, Ree has got a lot on her mind. While trying to track down her druggie dad to get help with their house, Ree has to take care of her mother, a brother, and a little sister. The story demonstrated more than just a normal life of a poor family, it showed us that without giving up, there was alwaysA dangerous neighborhood, a mentally-illed mom, two little siblings, and a meth-cooking dad, Ree has got a lot on her mind. While trying to track down her druggie dad to get help with their house, Ree has to take care of her mother, a brother, and a little sister. The story demonstrated more than just a normal life of a poor family, it showed us that without giving up, there was always hope for Ree. Winter's Bone is touching and thrilling at the same time, but its main element was the performance of Jennifer Lawrence. Unbelievably real and melodramatic, Jennifer Lawrence is becoming a star as we know it. OscarBuzz: Best Picture (longshot from winning but guarantee a nod), Best Actress (same as Best Picture) Expand
  38. Feb 25, 2011
    "Winter's Bone" is an emotionally gripping, well-paced drama. As many have pointed it, this film proves one can have suspense and intrigue without overblown action sequences, or stock characters. Jennifer Lawrence, only age 20, definitely commands the screen with nuanced courage and a piercing gaze. A well deserved Oscar nod. Hawkes is also impressive as her uncle. I think the"Winter's Bone" is an emotionally gripping, well-paced drama. As many have pointed it, this film proves one can have suspense and intrigue without overblown action sequences, or stock characters. Jennifer Lawrence, only age 20, definitely commands the screen with nuanced courage and a piercing gaze. A well deserved Oscar nod. Hawkes is also impressive as her uncle. I think the representations of rural working class culture are also well done and not overblown; the film is definitely more about the plot than the setting, which is good because it allows us to get enveloped in it. My only negative thoughts are at times it moves too slow, and the ending was not my favorite (don't want to spoil it). In general, I enjoyed this movie and could see myself watching it again. Expand
  39. Aug 22, 2011
    Its slow-pace may be a problem for some people. But if you are patient enough you will be delightful by both its engaging plot and talented lead actress.
  40. Dec 30, 2011
    Jennifer Lawrence gives a star making performance and it has a gripping story even though some of the cast gives bad performances and its low budget makes it suffer. I give this movie 82%.
  41. Aug 24, 2012
    This film was extremely well thought-out and executed but lacked the pacing which I enjoy in a film. It was very slow and monotonous, in the same way as No Country for Old Men, which I am sure was done on purpose but just stops me from giving this film outstanding marks. It was also acted brilliantly, with John Hawkes stealing the show. Debra Granik did well in her first 'big hit'.
  42. Dec 8, 2012
    Great movie. Drags a little at times but overall this was really well done. Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic, worthy of every praise she got; it's plain to see why this turned her into a mega-star overnight.
  43. Feb 19, 2013
    The lead, played aptly by Jennifer Lawrence, must contend with taking care of her inept mother and younger brother and sister her out of the picture father, tied in with meth-cooking and pushing, has put their home up for bail. Ree (Lawrence) goes out to search for her father, asking the locals friend and foe where to even look. Unfortunately for Ree, her meth run neighborhood does notThe lead, played aptly by Jennifer Lawrence, must contend with taking care of her inept mother and younger brother and sister her out of the picture father, tied in with meth-cooking and pushing, has put their home up for bail. Ree (Lawrence) goes out to search for her father, asking the locals friend and foe where to even look. Unfortunately for Ree, her meth run neighborhood does not want her meddling, especially looking for her father. It's a slower paced, quiet, yet strong and vicious film. Dark and edgy. Expand
  44. Jul 8, 2013
    This film is Jennifer Lawrence's coming out party. She is fantastic as a tough girl who has to find her father while taking care of her siblings. Also John Hawkes gives a strong performance as Lawrence's uncle.
  45. Dec 16, 2013
    Great movie with a gentle and liable development. It has a labored background that makes it interesting and complete in all aspects. It is necessary to highlight Jennifer Lawrence's performance as a brilliant one.
  46. Dec 12, 2013
    Driven by the outstanding lead performance supported by a bleak and raw atmosphere, Winter's Bone took me two watches to really appreciate. Truly real-world and thought provoking.
  47. Sep 17, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Drug money bought those little ones that trampoline; drug money bought the hay for the horse, the potatoes, the laundry blowing in the wind, the squirrel gun, the deer gun, the derelict house that mom never vacuums, the plot of land, as everything under Ree Dolly's Ozark sky, rest assured, was paid with her missing father's money he had earned from his meth lab. Welcome to "The O.M.", holmes, where the **** drive pickup trucks and will beat your lily white ass if you poke around where you're not welcome. Adapted from the Daniel Woodrell novel, "Winter's Bone" is film noir gone hillbilly, a noir with clotheslines instead of venetian blinds, femmes milking cows instead of femme fatales; it's a "white trash" Nancy Drew mystery, the story of a teenaged girl's search for her dad, feared dead, in the rural hood of the Ozarks. But that's half the movie; that's just the trappings of genre, hard-boiled...eggs, farm fresh, shadows cast by livestock, a nightmare propagated from iniquitous circumstances, the bedrock which is fundamental to any film noir, regardless of geography. And yet it doesn't take a detective to diagnose the real nightmare, the socio-economic nightmare of poverty, as it's the latter-half of the genre binary(the genre associated with real locations and real people) that's the galvanizing force which coalesces the tropes of noir with the tropes of neo-realism. When categorizing "Winter's Bone", the moviegoer might want to start with ethnography, albeit it's a faux one, since some of the actors have professional backgrounds, even though you'll be hard-pressed to differentiate them from the Missouri locals. It's a seamless mix, just like the genres, as film noir serves as a backdrop for neo-realism, the latter being the stuff of real nightmares. Ree Dolly will never get to Orange County, or anywhere but here, the boonies, because the army dreamer has her hands tied; she can't leave the Ozarks, not with two younger siblings and a zombie for a mom. Long after her father's hands return from the crime lab, the young girl, with little education and no career prospects, will probably start a meth lab of her own. It's a future mountain ballad that would bring a tear in the banjo player's eye. Expand
  48. Nov 15, 2010
    Winter's Bone combines some of the best elements of the survival story, murder mystery, and southern noir genres, yet still fails to generate any real heat. I appreciate the brutal and uncompromising attempt to capture the harsh reality if the heroine's situation and the director does a brilliant job at this. However, I found the plot shockingly dull and the pacing simply cloying. ManyWinter's Bone combines some of the best elements of the survival story, murder mystery, and southern noir genres, yet still fails to generate any real heat. I appreciate the brutal and uncompromising attempt to capture the harsh reality if the heroine's situation and the director does a brilliant job at this. However, I found the plot shockingly dull and the pacing simply cloying. Many critics are praising Jennifer Lawrence's performance, but while I found it to be solid, I wouldn't consider it to be extraordinary. Expand
  49. Dec 26, 2010
    Maybe this was just way overhyped before I saw it, but I was completely underwhelmed. I did think Jennifer Lawrence was great and look forward to see what she does next, but the story ultimately did not resonate with me. I can't remember a time in which critics and audiences were so enamored with something, while I was so indifferent.
  50. Dec 19, 2010
    this movie a bit slow and rather heavy without a lot of scenes to stop breathing, this pasabale and most notable is the acting of Jennifer Lawrence getting cold and strong sense of a young fighter in search of a better future for their brothers
  51. Feb 12, 2011
    Since I've seen it was nominated to 4-oscars including Best Motion Picture and Best Leading Actress I though ''whoa, must be that good'' but... is not what I was looking for. Actually maybe I'm not fair with Jennifer Lawrence because the role counts to judge how good was she... or not. What I can say is not an Oscar-winning acting. Maybe in another movie. The actor nominated in supportingSince I've seen it was nominated to 4-oscars including Best Motion Picture and Best Leading Actress I though ''whoa, must be that good'' but... is not what I was looking for. Actually maybe I'm not fair with Jennifer Lawrence because the role counts to judge how good was she... or not. What I can say is not an Oscar-winning acting. Maybe in another movie. The actor nominated in supporting role, John Hawkes deserves an award rather than her. Besides I've seen a good movie I can tell, well done. What I can anticipate, just in general, is... is not what you expect for a Motion Picture of the Year-nominee. Generally a good movie, good scenery... nice landscapes... but the beginning says ''is gonna happen something incredible'' and... and... and... nothing happens next. Actually, let me say this the sensation I had been having the whole movie... Expand
  52. May 29, 2011
    Very strange movie, people are really strange, weird people, barely seen, the place is also very strange, must be horrible to live in a place like this, especially with so many problems like the protagonist. She is a great actress, it gives a lot of penalty see all the suffering, makes you want to get her to care for and give a lot of affection, the film has a heavy atmosphere, cruel,Very strange movie, people are really strange, weird people, barely seen, the place is also very strange, must be horrible to live in a place like this, especially with so many problems like the protagonist. She is a great actress, it gives a lot of penalty see all the suffering, makes you want to get her to care for and give a lot of affection, the film has a heavy atmosphere, cruel, hard, life is very unfair to some, The movie is pretty slow, but I also think that the movie does not nothing, is so incredible so far as to gain as much attention and winning an Oscar for example, is a sad and sentimental movie but after all is a good movie. Expand
  53. Apr 22, 2011
    Pros: A groundbreaking performance by Jennifer Lawrence; overall, cleverly written and directed; some of the most beautiful cinematography to date. Cons: A bit narratively dull.
  54. Jun 10, 2011
    Lawrence gives a very believable but subued performance, which is why it is great. Beautifully filmed, great intensity coupled with humanistic fear...the story is gripping. Unfortunately, it begins to slag in the second act, and fails to deliver anything gripping in the third, and instead resorts to a hacking.
  55. j30
    Sep 22, 2011
    Some great performances from Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes. The movie, however, is a little too minimalistic for my liking and the pacing is slow. I absolutely love the whole tone and feel of the movie.
  56. Sep 26, 2011
    "Winter's Bone" is memorable for the solid performance of Jennifer Lawrence as well as the ready-to-explode tension director Debra Granik maintains. But the problem is, that's all the movie has.
  57. Oct 19, 2011
    While the plot was not particularly exciting, the characters (and the actors who played the characters) made the story interesting enough to hold together quite a bit of pleasantly evocative cinematography and music selections. Also, while the mood was predominantly depressing, just enough hope, strength, and courage exhibited by key characters helped to balance out what were otherwiseWhile the plot was not particularly exciting, the characters (and the actors who played the characters) made the story interesting enough to hold together quite a bit of pleasantly evocative cinematography and music selections. Also, while the mood was predominantly depressing, just enough hope, strength, and courage exhibited by key characters helped to balance out what were otherwise pretty dire straits. Expand
  58. Feb 24, 2013
    Winter's Bone won best film at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival and was also nominated for 4 Academy Awards including best picture. While it was an outstanding story, it defiantly didn't deserve 3 of the 4 nominations. The film is very dark and slow moving, with lots of unnecessary dramatic pauses. Randomly they jump into country music and shots of hillbillies, it was all very odd. While IWinter's Bone won best film at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival and was also nominated for 4 Academy Awards including best picture. While it was an outstanding story, it defiantly didn't deserve 3 of the 4 nominations. The film is very dark and slow moving, with lots of unnecessary dramatic pauses. Randomly they jump into country music and shots of hillbillies, it was all very odd. While I really enjoyed this movie, especially the storyline, it gave new meaning to the words "white trash". The only Oscar nomination that was warranted, is that of Lead Actress, Jennifer Lawrence. I've never seen her in anything before, but god was she impressive. In a world of darkness, drugs, murder, and despair, Ree stood out, everyone who came in contact with her knew she was special and so is the actress who played her. Normally movies like this aren't for me. It was the story that attracted me to this film, but it was Lawrence's performance that made this film worth seeing. Expand
  59. Mar 1, 2013
    Nobody should underestimate just how talented Jennifer is. A rich and profoundly grim realistic tale of the dark sides of society. It has suspense and mystery in this heroine's journey.
  60. Jan 6, 2013
    A very powerful film. the acting brought me to my knees but there was no finishing blow. It confused me why I didn't love it but it just didn't capture a good ending for the movie in general.
  61. Jun 7, 2014
    Winter's Bone is decent. It's well shot, closely directed, and convincingly acted. This might be Jennifer Lawrence's most naturalistic performance. The atmosphere is bleak yet somehow also beautiful. This is however far from the perfect movie that critics have made it out to be. The story lacks momentum. A good portion of the film is basically just Lawrence going from house to houseWinter's Bone is decent. It's well shot, closely directed, and convincingly acted. This might be Jennifer Lawrence's most naturalistic performance. The atmosphere is bleak yet somehow also beautiful. This is however far from the perfect movie that critics have made it out to be. The story lacks momentum. A good portion of the film is basically just Lawrence going from house to house asking questions to the local yokels. The film is mostly naturalistic and convincing, but there are some scenes in which the characters feel like stereotypical caricatures. The story's lack of dramatic heft and forward momentum is a crippling flaw. These are things that thrillers need in order to actually thrill. However, since it is mostly successful with bringing the main characters to life, has some convincing performances, and uses its setting well, I'm still going to recommend it to fans of understated films, as well as independent film fans. It doesn't reach the greatness though that many claim it does. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ella Taylor
    On its face, Winter's Bone, like "Down to the Bone," is a bleakly realist drama about a community decimated by poverty and hopelessness, yet bound together by deep ties of class, gender and blood.
  2. Spectacular for its humanity, austere beauty and heart-stopping urgency.
  3. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Every so often a film gets under our skin with its haunting authenticity, reinforcing our faith in the wonderfully transporting power of cinematic storytelling. Winter's Bone is unquestionably that film.