Winter's Tale

5.4

1. Aug 25, 2014
    This movie reminds me that I am still a fantasy-drama fan. I don't remember loving a movie with all my heart since 'The Odd Life of Timothy Green'. It was just like what I wanted with a nice story and the characters. Usually fantasy-dramas will have children in the prominent roles, but this one was told from an adult perspective. About the good versus the bad. A story about a miracle withThis movie reminds me that I am still a fantasy-drama fan. I don't remember loving a movie with all my heart since 'The Odd Life of Timothy Green'. It was just like what I wanted with a nice story and the characters. Usually fantasy-dramas will have children in the prominent roles, but this one was told from an adult perspective. About the good versus the bad. A story about a miracle with a nice blend of emotional romantic tale. This movie was based on the novel of the same name and I don't know anything about the book, but this movie was excellent.

The story is set in the late 19th century in New York with a baby boy left by the immigrant parents. He's raised by a thief gang and be called Peter Lake. After becoming an adult he decides to leave them, but the gang plans to hunt him down. A mystery white horse from nowhere comes to his rescue and also leads him to meet a young beautiful woman. Falling in a love makes him a completely changed man. Waiting for a miracle to happen that is defended by the opposite force ends in a terrible way. The time changes, and so the world that gives a second chance to complete what he have failed in the first attempt.

‘‘I suppose you know what to do, horse.’’

It's bad to hear that this movie did not do well and once again a reason for me to hate critics. They are the most disgusting people alive on the earth to spoil the party. I agree with them on one thing that it was not a masterpiece, but still a little cute melodrama specially made for family audiences. All the characters were so good, developed enough to get the fondness. Colin Ferrell was awesome and as usual Russell Crowe was good in a negative role. There was a guest role of a popular actor which won't last more than 2-3 minutes.

The only issue with the movie was the scenes that were not detailed. As a 2 hour movie, it travelled too fast, especially in most of the important parts of the story. I liked very much the concept of hidden secret organization in a regular world. More like it was between the two men, the chosen ones of their kind to achieve something wonder, and another one is to stop it from happening. Seen it many times before in other movies, but the way it was showed worked well. Like chasing and get chased till one of them accomplish their mission. The visuals were enchanting, as well the camera angles. The defects are common in movies, especially it is expected, while transforming from a book to the feature film. So keep it a simple, I mean your expectations a lower and it may work you as well.
  2. Jun 2, 2014
    I loved it! The storyline the actors and their playing .. everything fits in and I can't understand critics who high-rate X-Men but down-rate Winters Tale because its not realistic or logic enough? Can u explain? I cannot. Winter's tale is a beautiful movie for the whole family and shows that critics aren't everything.

Btw.. X-Men is great too :>
  3. Aug 15, 2014
    There's no reason for this movie to have all those horrible reviews. It had beautiful writing, a cute twist in the end, and the whole good vs evil/devils vs angels thing was great. If you like to think of the possibilities in life, and like the idea of destiny you will enjoy this I'm sure.
  4. Jul 29, 2014
    I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I started watching "Winter's Tale". It completely surprised me in the most positive way. I loved the visuals and the soundtrack. The acting, I thought, was engaging and fantastically matched the tone of the film.
    I completely lost myself in the universe that the director has created. While watching it, you have to be prepared to challenge yourself and open your heart to possibility of magic being around you, even in the same room as you. Believing that we are all in fact connected to one other is a scary concept and hard to understand. Not everyone will be willing to accept it, but the ones that do, will not regret it.
    It makes me sad, however, that films about love, fate and miracles, films that leave the reality as we know it, behind, are nowadays considered silly and ridiculous. It makes me sad because they are being disregarded as unimportant, when that is completely not the case. I feel compelled to forget about cynicism and disbelief, and for a moment believe in true love, that in our most beloved reality does not happen very often...Dismissing the idea of magic in its simplest form, love, is easy, believing in it, is harder and requires hell of a lot more courage.
    T.
  5. Feb 14, 2014
    Winter's Tale plods along from one slipshod sequence to the next, never managing to get a handle on its epic narrative and weighed down by its own pretension. There probably could have been a very nice movie made from this fantastical material, but it's never focused enough to work and is almost immediately sunk by its own ridiculousness and melodrama.
  6. Feb 15, 2014
    Perhaps I went into the theatre prepared to love it. But I truly did love this movie. The book is one of my favorites, and this is not the book, but it does have plenty of moments of its enchantment. I don't think you will like or even be able to follow this movie, or accept it in any way, without having read the book. You have to have a certain understanding, and acceptance, I think.
  7. Feb 22, 2014
    Wow! What a perfect way to ruin St Valentine's Day by watching this mess of a movie directed by the writer of Batman & Robin, with terrible acting, and Will Smith as Lucifer, with some of the worst I've ever seen, or heard, but again I shouldn't be surprised by that, this is the worst movie on theaters you can watch on St Valentine's Day. (BTW I haven't seen Endless Love yet)
  8. Mar 10, 2014
    Nice, heart-warming movie. Slow, anti-climatic, but soothing with mesmerizing music. Authentic, historic feel to the setting. Good acting by some big names.
  9. Aug 17, 2014
    Don't over think this film it is outlandish but the romance is well worth your time. It's all about the great chemistry between the two leads that works. The current day storyline could have been dropped shaving about 30 minutes off the run time, but the film is solid nonetheless. B-
  10. Aug 4, 2014
    Not sure why the crictis hated on this so much. For a fantasy romance, it ticks all the boxes. It's adapted from from a novel, so it doesn't have the usual hollywood BS, and its all the better for it.
  11. Feb 18, 2014
  12. Feb 26, 2014
    What were they thinking?! I have not read the book but this story makes absolutely no sense and is completely pointless. The acting is bad (especially Will Smith). Ultimately, this was the biggest waste of two hours I have committed in a long time.
  13. Feb 14, 2014
    Do you believe a prince kissing a princess will bring her back to life? Do you believe in white horses growing wings and flying? Do you believe in people turning into stars after dying? Do you believe in Lucifer, Hell and Heaven? How about the super-natural? Do you believe in love?

It being Valentine's Day weekend 3 romantic movies and "RoboCop" opened up. Being a romantic I picked "Winter's Tale" and I am still not sure what I saw! Winter's Tale opens on a confusing note spending time in 2014 and 1914 but quickly turns into an early 20th century love story between an orphan, Peter Lake (played by Colin Farrell, and an heiress Beverly Penn (played by Jessica Brown Findlay) who has consumption. Pearly Soames (Russell Crowe), who brought up Peter, taught him how to be a master thief with a natural penchant for fixing anything mechanical, including opening safes and they have a falling out. Along with being an Irish mob leader, it is the early 1900s in New York City, Pearly is also one of Lucifer's (Will Smith!)workers and he is out to end Peter's life.

Without giving away any spoilers we are suddenly in 2014 with Peter not having aged a day since we last saw him but with amnesia. He meets Virginia Gamely (Jennifer Connelly) a newspaper reporter and her young daughter Abby (Ripley Sobo) who is dying of cancer. Pearly, also ageless, is also in New York to get Peter.

The biggest surprise in the movie is the appearance of Eva Marie Saint as Willa, Beverly's younger sister, at her real age of 90. It has been 60 years since she won her Oscar for On The Waterfront and, yes, she has aged, but watching a movie like this you can see the young Edie Doyle of that movie. William hurt as Issac Penn the father of Beverly and Willa does what he can with what little he is given to work with. Almost unrecognizable is Matt Bomer in a cameo.

Colin Farrell, with his caterpillar eyebrows and puppy eyes, plays the lover role well as does Jessica Brown Findlay as the ethereal Beverly. Russell Crowe, a lot thinner than he has been in the past few years, plays Pearly as the gangster of the century sometimes going a little overboard with the accent.

New York, especially Central Park in both centuries, is shown as the vibrant city it is known as the world over.

Director and screenwriter Akiva Goldsman doesn't quite capture the novel, by Mark Helprin, that the picture is based on but there are quite a few breath taking shots throughout the movie, including the flying horse.

The love story is touching but the rest of the movie brought laughs at the wrong places and snorts at some of the explanations. And what was the cause of the scar on Pearly Soames?

"Winter's Tale" is good when it concentrates in the first hour on the love story and with Eva Marie Saint's appearance almost saving the last hour of supernatural happenings.
  14. Feb 16, 2014
    Possibly worse than a made-for-tv-movie. Made no sense. Seems like they couldn't get a good cast for it (Will Smith playing Lucifer? Seriously?).

Just avoid. Looks like something the Hallmark Channel would release in a slow season.
  15. Feb 15, 2014
    This is a very bad movie. The plot made no sense. The acting was terrible. The special effect (a magic flying horse) was crude and ineffective. There was a misplaced Will Smith cameo as Lucifer that did not fit. There is simply no redeeming quality to this very bad movie. Anyone saying otherwise is being paid.
  16. Jun 7, 2014
    The film is visually good; on the other hand the story-telling seems overconfident but it fails greatly in too many levels. Pieces of events are overdressed too much but I guess the writers did not think about connecting the pieces in a way that makes the film complete. I was wondering how a film can be off people's radar with this many great actors and actresses and the film looked niceThe film is visually good; on the other hand the story-telling seems overconfident but it fails greatly in too many levels. Pieces of events are overdressed too much but I guess the writers did not think about connecting the pieces in a way that makes the film complete. I was wondering how a film can be off people's radar with this many great actors and actresses and the film looked nice visually from its trailer. I guess I got my answer. Expand
  17. Apr 11, 2015
    Winter Tale es una película que si bien tiene sentimiento, después de cierto punto empieza a perderse de su enfoque inicial.

Esta película si bien está hecha con sentimiento, no logra elevar su calidad, siendo en momentos fastidiosa y también con una trama con la que en algún momento se llega a la conclusión de que se perdió de su punto de arranque, empezando a volverse un tanto patética y que al final no llega a impactar., dejando que, en general, este film busca tener una historia romántica llena de sentimientos y lograr cautivar al público, pero que al fin y al cabo desarrolla de una manera un tanto desperfilada no llegando a un punto que sea considerable, a pesar de que en un punto quizá estuvo cerca de lograrlo.
  18. Dec 17, 2014
    Boasting an appealing cast and some good scenes, though that's not enough to save "Winter's Tale" from it's preposterous script (blame director/writer/producer Akiva Goldsman for that) and uninteresting characters.
  19. Oct 22, 2014
    If you are well educated in the realm of mythology and don't HAVE to have the laws of a mystical system explained to you like a ten year old then this movie will definitely appeal to you. With an all star cast this movie was all I expected and more. Honestly, I went to see this movie based on the advice of one of my very favorite writers, Neil Gaiman, and was not disappointed in theIf you are well educated in the realm of mythology and don't HAVE to have the laws of a mystical system explained to you like a ten year old then this movie will definitely appeal to you. With an all star cast this movie was all I expected and more. Honestly, I went to see this movie based on the advice of one of my very favorite writers, Neil Gaiman, and was not disappointed in the least. It's sad to find out the movie did so poorly at the box office. Unfortunately, main stream movie goers won't have the patience or intellect to enjoy this film. As such, it is destined to become a cult classic if the few of us who appreciated it manage to tell our friends and family. Expand
  20. Nov 13, 2014
    "Winter's Tale" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Bad) ...

"Winter's Tale" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Bad) ...

The Good: Based on a novel of the same name, the story is a decent one. You can tell there is more to it than what we see here, and it made me want to read the book. The performances ranged from good (Collin Ferrell, William Hurt) to great (Russell Crowe, Will Smith in a cameo). I like what they were trying to do here, even if the execution was lacking.

The Bad: Quite possibly the slowest and most boring film of 2014. It just plods along and I lost interest 10 minutes in. I also couldn't get into any of the characters as the director seemed to want you to already possess knowledge of the story and did nothing to flesh any of them out. At the heart of it, that's the biggest problem. A massive chunk of the film is left unexplained and things happen that you can't possibly understand. I can only assume that scenes are better detailed and explained in the novel. Just a dull and somewhat lazy effort all around.
  21. Nov 27, 2014
    My god what a cast! This ought to be something!

My god what a cast! This ought to be something!

Yeah this movie is something, a pile of **** This is one of the worst movies of the year. We are suppose to sit through a two freakin hour movie filled with cliches, two dimensional characters, a boring plot and one of the worst developed romances I have ever seen. So if you want to watch a romance movie with your spouse or boy/girlfriend I do not suggest this. Instead try out Silver Linings Playbook, The Fault in Our Stars, Titanic or even Die Hard.
  22. Jan 6, 2015
    I'm honestly not quite sure what people were expecting when they watched this movie and as a result gave it such poor ratings. I had never read the book, so I had no expectations. Thus, I found the film wonderful. It was a fantastic movie of a modern fairy tale with magic and slight thread of good versus evil.
    None of the performances felt forced, even if Crowe's Pearly Soames chewed the
    None of the performances felt forced, even if Crowe's Pearly Soames chewed the scenery a bit, I think that was part of the charm to have a villain that's a bit over the top.
    I loved the mythology presented, and the simple ways it interacts with the characters. It's not overpowering or intrusive, it's just part of the story, the fabric of the tapestry they are all in.
    Lighten up, folks. It was a good movie. Just enjoy it.
  23. Feb 27, 2016
    'Winter's Tale' was a movie you can imagine I was pretty excited for, a fantasy love story on Valentine's Day. Plus, the trailers and the poster made it look very interesting, and it had a pretty respectable cast.

This movie was not at all what I expected. 'Winter's Tale' is a sometimes confused, oddly paced and strangely structured picture that feels like you are watching two

This movie was not at all what I expected.

'Winter's Tale' is a sometimes confused, oddly paced and strangely structured picture that feels like you are watching two different movies at once. Certain scenes of character development seem a little rushed, and you want to get yourself invested, but for some reason, this movie pushes you further and further away.

Colin Farrell plays a man named Peter Lake who, as a child, was sent away on a boat. As an adult, he spends most of his life stealing and hiding from a man who is after him named Pearly (an over the top Russell Crowe). Peter ends up just coming across some white horse that appears to be magical, as it can fly and disappear when it chooses to do so.

During his journey, he comes across a young girl named Beverly (Jessica Brown Findlay) who appears to be dying, and he feels as if it's his job to look after her, and make her better. They instantly fall in love, but it feels very abrupt that they feel this way...one moment she is supposed to be scared of him, the next, they are just instantly into each other.

Pearly finds out about this, and tries all he can to stop Lake in his tracks. Russell Crowe's thick Irish accent makes it hard to take him seriously, and he overacts to the point where it feels like a parody of the book that this was adapted from.

The dialogue here is a little corny as well, "You...are...impossibly beautiful" so says Peter as he looks deeper into Beverly's eyes. "Stop, or I'll melt all the snow I am standing on" answers Beverly and Peter then says "Give me a chance and you'll melt all the snow in the world". This dialogue is not quite as terrible as the ones you hear in 'Star Wars: Attack of the Clones' (2002), but it could've gone down that route.

The second half of the movie takes place almost 100 years later in present day, and Peter seems to have no memory of what's happened to him, he cannot even remember his own identity. But he feels like he has some unfinished business, hence why he is still alive, and Pearly...who somehow is also in present day, knows about this, and still is intent to try and stop him.

The movie is the directorial debut of Akiva Goldsman, who also wrote 'A Beautiful Mind' (2001), and 'Cinderella Man' (2005), but also wrote 'Batman & Robin' (1997) and 'Lost In Space' (1998). For a director, he has the right visual tone as to how this movie should look, the cinematography by Caleb Deschanel is inspired also. It's just, maybe Goldsman should've hired some other writers to write the screenplay where it feels less rushed and less corny from time to time.

I did find myself rooting for Farrell's character, but ultimately, everybody else in this movie seemed like an exaggeration of whatever it is they are supposed to represent. Jessica Brown Findlay, while she is a good actress, seems almost lifeless in the role, and I know, she is supposed to be playing a dying girl. I've also mentioned how over the top Russell Crowe is, so we can leave it at that.

'Winter's Tale' is a well-meaning, but ultimately forgettable and sometimes bland effort.
  24. Sep 27, 2015
    I lost count of the times I’ve seen "love" and "destiny" going together in a Hollywood film. The two concepts are often forcedly connected, and perhaps this is the first reason that makes Winter's Tale (released in the United Kingdom as A New York Winter's Tale) a complete disappointment. The film is adapted from a 1983 book written by novelist, journalist and conservative commentator MarkI lost count of the times I’ve seen "love" and "destiny" going together in a Hollywood film. The two concepts are often forcedly connected, and perhaps this is the first reason that makes Winter's Tale (released in the United Kingdom as A New York Winter's Tale) a complete disappointment. The film is adapted from a 1983 book written by novelist, journalist and conservative commentator Mark Helprin: a tale of considerable success, which gained a large number of admirers over the years. Its fame could explain why so many stars got involved in the project, turning the film into a showcase of well-known faces: Colin Farrell, Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly, Will Smith, William Hurt. Even Martin Scorsese was rumored to have shown interest. Unfortunately, it takes more than good intentions and a slew of celebrities to guarantee quality.

A New York Winter's Tale wants us to think that our destinies are all entwined, like the stars in the sky. In 1915’s New York, thief Peter Lake (Colin Farrell) flees from his mortal enemy, the evil Pearly Soames (Crowe). He only escapes thanks to the appeareance of a white horse, whose supernatural nature is portrayed with a ridiculous amount of glare on the screen. The plot unfolds, leading Peter to meet beautiful Beverly Penn (Jessica Brown Findlay), a deathly ill but cheerful heiress, whom he irrevocably falls in love with after she cracks half a smile and blinks a couple of times. Is he the miracle she was waiting for? Will their love be enough to defeat death? Their purity will clash with the viciousness surrounding Soames’s gang, secretly at the service of Lucifer (a very awkward Will Smith, whose interludes with Crowe are often source of embarrassment). Peter and Beverly, instead, are the obvious personification of Good; after all, he’s the handsome knight on a white horse. This game of metaphors runs parallel to the agonising love story, always hinting at the existence of a greater plan that shapes everyone’s destiny. However, the masterplan only works as a good ol’ deus-ex-machina, designed specifically for the protagonists. Even when the setting magically changes to today’s New York, and the film drops the cheesy trash of the first half to pick up a livelier pace, it still fails to address its main themes with credibility and coherence.

A New York Winter's Tale’s many flaws are all direct results of its poor screenplay (written by first-time director Akiva Goldsman), and a chaotic, at times ludicrous structure. The vagueness and silliness of the supernatural element is the final straw in a story packed with preconceptions about love and sacrifice; the script too often belittles profound themes and concepts, labelling them as mere manifestations of "magic" and "miracle". The magic of the right man in the right place. The miracle of life. If there's a magic connection that links us all, in an inexplicable and immense network, I very much doubt its sole purpose is to get you a cute boyfriend. Even so, many in the audience were genuinely moved at the end of the film, showing that, despite it all, it hits its specific target of hopeless romantics. If this doesn’t sound like you, steer clear.
  25. Oct 27, 2015
    So this book is definitely not easy to adapt to the screen. Indeed, the film is not perfect. It seems silly and unexplained, but it is not entirely bad, people criticize it way too harshly. It's a decent fantasy tale and there is a flying horse, so that's enough for me to enjoy it.
  26. Oct 21, 2015
    Lovely romance. Wonderful cast. Definitely worth a watch, especially for Russell Crowe, Will Smith.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-2744824-Winters-Tale-online-free

1. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Feb 26, 2014
    The whole thing is so roaringly absurd, and delivered with such hands-clasped sincerity, that the only rational response is to laugh the house down.
  2. Reviewed by: Ian Freer
    Feb 17, 2014
    Corny and shakily plotted, it's a disappointing directorial debut from Goldsman.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Feb 14, 2014
    On a purely narrative level, Winter's Tale missteps early and often. Its earnestness is its downfall, resulting in opportunities for unintentional humor.