8.5

1. Dec 9, 2013
    All I can say about this movie is that it is simply beautiful! The art, animation, voice acting in both the original Japanese version and in the English dub, the story, everything. I actually found myself feeling many emotions while watching it. If you were to ask me for my recommendation, well you got it!
  2. Jan 8, 2014
    Probably the best anime I have seen recently. From the director of 'The Girl Who Leapt Through Time' gives us this wonderful fantasy-drama. This movie is kinda resembling Miyazaki's 'My Neighbour Totoro', only the place it takes place and a bit with the characters. Other than that it is an awesome movie with a totally fresh concept as per my knowledge.

All the three main characters, a
    mother and her two kids were lovable. Aoi Miyazaki never stops impressing me where she appears here as a mother. Her roles from various movies are always coming with a surprise who peaking high and higher, she really rocks. The two kids' characters as well very adorable. Like the two sisters in 'My Neighbour Totoro' these two made the movie look great. Actually it was a tale about a mother who raises two wolf children. As a single parent, her hard work and dedication to the kids to grow up having a normal and happy childhood she must sacrifice her life.

When her husband dies, Hana must take care of the kids where she lacks the knowledge of their kind to give support. She finds difficulties in city to raise them so she decides to move to a rural where she can cut the communications with the other humans. Growing her own vegetables in the backyard, facing the different seasons and going through all the ups and down in life she almost achieves her ambition.

It did not look like an anime movie, it looked almost a real one with many cool and colourful frames. The story commenced with a nice love story with a little heartbreak. Then the most enjoyable parts begin with lots of laughs until the approach of the end where it brings lots of emotions before concluding with a powerful howl. It had very nice background score in all the crucial portion of the tale. In other word to say, the movie was just like what I expected and more than that. I felt the movie was short and was not ready to accept the end. You know, it is better being short and sweet than with unnecessary drag in a tale. This is a movie that everyone will love, especially kids and families. Like I said if you are a die hard 'My Neighbour Totoro' movie fan then you must not miss it. So highly recommended by me.
  3. Jul 14, 2014
    Mamoru Hosoda has been called the next Miyazaki, though after this movie I think he might be even better, though I haven't watched Summer Wars so I'll have to do that before I decide. Though until then this movie is amazing, I mean this is probably my favorite movie I've watched thus far. Why is it? because it feels unbelievably well done in absolutely every way. In the animation the movie looks unbelievable, I mean it (like most Japanese animation) pays very little attention to detail but it makes up for this in making the world look beautiful in it's simplicity and it's scale. In terms of the music, it's the emotional kind, fitting into the scenarios perfectly while even by itself making you feel the emotions it gives of. But I should probably get into what movies are about the story, I don't want to give to much away so basically I'll say this: it's about a student called Hana who meets a man who she falls in love with who turns out to be a wolf, eventually they get married and have children but the father dies, and now Hana has to bring up the Wolf Children (see what I did there). So it's a coming of age story but done unbelievably well, and by far the best part about it is that the characters grow in ways that change them overtime in a realistic way. Now you still may be wondering why I favor this over Miyazaki, and yes I actually have many reasons. First of all I feel that with Miyazaki he doesn't like to explain many things, I mean he creates these worlds or beings and then just leaves them, while that sometimes helps in My Neighbor Totoro or Nausicaa, it usually feels jarring (even in those movies). With Hosoda it feels like he explains things well and leaves me without many questions, lingering in my head about the movie (in other words it works much better as an individual story as opposed to movies which feel like they were designed with sequels in mind). And that's about it, I mean there are a few very small problems, like there's a female nipple for like 3 seconds and the cars are CGI (why does all anime do that). But other then that it's perfect and you should watch it... like right now... seriously. Expand
  4. Mar 2, 2014
    Mamoru Hosoda's work in this film was amazing, the concept of a daughter telling the story of her parents was sort of Unique and and the main character is a very strong character after a small incident in the story as she raises two kids of her own who are not exactly normal as they are half wolf, half human and is a completely new experience for her during the 12-13 years of the story of raising her children ame and yuuki. its a film best for family, friends and loved ones to watch as there are good moments and sad moments. the only issue i had with the film it had to end but then again it is just about 2 hours but i give it a straight full marks on the story, art style and it's outside of studio ghibli so its Hosoda vs Miyazaki Expand
  5. Mar 23, 2014
    Perhaps the most honest cinematic portrayal of the experience of being a human parent is this cartoon about werewolf kids. The drawn characters hold more authentic life than 99% of live action movie counterparts. It's also visually gorgeous.
  6. Jul 24, 2014
    (german)
    Was für eine Überraschung! Hab mir den Film blind gekauft und zähle ihn zu den besten Animé bzw. Zeichentrickfilmen. Rein objektiv gesehen würde ich ihn sogar als den besten überhaupt bezeichnen. Ame & Yuki ist ein Tribut an alle warmherzigen Mütter dieser Welt, der Parallellen zum Erwachsenwerden aufweist. Besonders gefallen hat mir die Tatsache, dass er nicht nur die für Mütter
    schönen Momente zeigt, sondern auch die Momente, in denen sie lernen müssen loszulassen. Hier stimmt von vorne bis hinten einfach alles. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Curtis Woloschuk
    Nov 3, 2013
    Enchanting.
  2. Reviewed by: Chris Michael
    Oct 24, 2013
    Telling the story through the eyes of the harried, bereaved but indomitable mother gives this calm, funny, only occasionally schmaltzy family film a maturity Twilight never reached.
  3. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Oct 24, 2013
    The movie is hauntingly romantic at heart, in the best spirit of a Gothic fairytale, but without the harsh shadows or hard edges.