8.3

1. MichaelC.
    Mar 29, 2001
    Actual rating: 8.5 out of 10. Stunningly smart and endlessly enjoyable, Wonder Boys is a great follow-up for Curtis Hanson. But it hasn't got the touch that "L.A. Confidential" has. Still highly recommendable!
  2. Casey
    Apr 1, 2001
    This is one of the most amazing, funny movies I have ever seen. Michael Douglas is amazing as Prof. Tripp. This is probably my favorite new movie.
  3. PaulF.
    Oct 3, 2002
    Quite possibly the best movie of that year. There is no other film that can deliever so much comedy, and character complexity in such a neat, simple package. Bravo Curtis Hanson and bravo to Michael Chabon for creating the inspiration for this movie.
  4. TedB.
    Aug 27, 2001
    Three points for the score. The few good moments in this film can't compensate for the stereotypical "writers" and "academics"---- Did nobody in Hollywood actually GO to college?
  5. TedB.
    Aug 27, 2001
  6. Didn'tyouusedtobeGilbertMulroneycakes?
    Nov 29, 2002
    "Stereotypical"? Oh, please. Too easy. Far, far too easy. They're actually startlingly accurate and utterly brilliant characters, and to suggest otherwise is an assault on my dignity and my family. Michael Douglas gives one of his best performances, but Tobey Maguire and the marvellous Downey between them steal EVERY SINGLE SCENE they have. The scenes with both are a veritable "Stereotypical"? Oh, please. Too easy. Far, far too easy. They're actually startlingly accurate and utterly brilliant characters, and to suggest otherwise is an assault on my dignity and my family. Michael Douglas gives one of his best performances, but Tobey Maguire and the marvellous Downey between them steal EVERY SINGLE SCENE they have. The scenes with both are a veritable tug-of-war. Great, overlooked film. Expand
  7. Jack
    Mar 16, 2003
    Wonderfully offbeat.
  8. YoonMinC.
    Sep 28, 2003
    Engaging and entertaining but what's this movie about? I can't tell as Michael Douglas didn't convince me for a second that he was a Literary professor and novelist.
  9. DamienC.
    Apr 29, 2004
    There are films that talk to me more than others. Because some pictures,situations, musics and dialogues combined together make me feel so good that it seemed to have been written just for me, as if the writers knew me. Every scene of "Wonder Boys" is like that for me. It's funny, smart, moving. I don't care if some people find it stereotypical or mindless. It's one of the There are films that talk to me more than others. Because some pictures,situations, musics and dialogues combined together make me feel so good that it seemed to have been written just for me, as if the writers knew me. Every scene of "Wonder Boys" is like that for me. It's funny, smart, moving. I don't care if some people find it stereotypical or mindless. It's one of the best film I've ever seen in my life. Michael Douglas, Downey Jr., Maguire, Holmes, McDormand, they're all great. The scenes with the teacher and the student wandering in Pittsburgh, looking for themselves, are fantastic. Curtis Hanson is one of the best. I love this movie. Expand
  10. raVen
    Nov 13, 2003
    (11) One of my two favorite movies. So, clearly, it's one of the two best movies ever made. Every bit of it serves to build toward what happens next, and the whole movie hangs on nuance, conversation, and reaction--just like real life. It's got a great soundtrack, the funniest car crash you'll ever see, and a trunk that holds a tuba, a suitcase, a dead dog and a garment bag (11) One of my two favorite movies. So, clearly, it's one of the two best movies ever made. Every bit of it serves to build toward what happens next, and the whole movie hangs on nuance, conversation, and reaction--just like real life. It's got a great soundtrack, the funniest car crash you'll ever see, and a trunk that holds a tuba, a suitcase, a dead dog and a garment bag almost perfectly. Flawless. Expand

1. The casting of Michael Douglas against type as an over-the-hill novelist and writing professor is the sort of clever move that wins undeserved Oscars.
  2. Droll mild amusement.
  3. A terrific movie about middle-age malaise and a comedy of unusual wit and drollness.