Magnolia Pictures | Release Date: August 21, 2009
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 64 Ratings
WATCH NOW
andreadoloffoJan 21, 2012
I just watched the "World's Greatest Dad". This a black comedy movie, however the ending ruined the whole black comedy aspect of the theme. I mean, the ending is MACRO BIZARRE. I felt that the whole movie was literary flushed down the toiletI just watched the "World's Greatest Dad". This a black comedy movie, however the ending ruined the whole black comedy aspect of the theme. I mean, the ending is MACRO BIZARRE. I felt that the whole movie was literary flushed down the toilet when it turned 180 degrees into a "black hole of nonsensical disparity". Respectfully submitted and thank you. SAAA PRODUCTIONS Expand
ydnar4Jun 30, 2015
World's Greatest Dad could be Robin Williams' last really strong performance. I don't think this movie is overly funny but it is well written and I found myself making a lot of connections to the film. Basically every character in the film isWorld's Greatest Dad could be Robin Williams' last really strong performance. I don't think this movie is overly funny but it is well written and I found myself making a lot of connections to the film. Basically every character in the film is a phony and it shows how death can completely change someone's opinion on a person because no one will ever say anything about a dead guy. Expand
smartmartSep 17, 2015
This is a sad, sad film, but it is also hilarious! It is an extremely dark and cynical comedy that will make you feel almost depressed, but laugh at the same time. It is a hard feeling to explain, but I felt it.
A lot of people will feel
A lot of people will feel like this isn't a comedy in any way, but it is actually really funny, although horribly dark and demented. The mainstream will certainly hate this movie because it's too unsettling and too sad, but, as of now, it is my favorite Robin Williams film.
If you don't like any of the following topics in your comedy, then don't watch this one:
-suicide
-death of child (by strangulation)
-perversion
-grief
...and so on.
DigitalSharkNov 30, 2010
This movie is admittedly not for all tastes, but really surprised me. The odd cover art you might see for this will typically just show Williams, and with all of the family friendly cookie cutter movies he's made, his image along with theThis movie is admittedly not for all tastes, but really surprised me. The odd cover art you might see for this will typically just show Williams, and with all of the family friendly cookie cutter movies he's made, his image along with the title is bound to make people think it's another one of those Disney type popcorn movies, and that might be what they are expecting when they see it. The intended audience (who might like darker and twisted comedies) might pass for the same reason, the title. It's meant to be darkly ironic of course, but I can just imagine what marketing discussions were like, they must have had no clue on how to "sell" this movie. I truly enjoyed it, and it got big deserving laughs several times. Williams is at his absolute best, and the script is full of highly amusing dialogue. The one area where Bobcat flails a bit in my opinion is in relying too heavily and too often on montages set to music. It's used very well in some scenes, and too much or too heavily in others. And when you have two humorous montage music segments within minutes of one another it really breaks up the flow of the story. That said, that is really the extent of my criticism as I think the movie succeeds very well on it's own terms. Some of the smaller scenes are wonderfully played, such as a scene where Williams visits his paranoid shut in neighbor and they share a plate of pot brownies. It's a shame more people will not see this movie, but then again it's the kind of comedy that makes people uncomfortable, like "King of Comedy." A lot of people won't enjoy being messed with in such a genuinely edgy way, but the right people will love it. You don't see movies with guts like this one has very often. Expand
juliankleissMar 30, 2011
The title might be misleading. The trailer does not reveal what this movie will turn out to be either. This is black humor. You won't know if you should laugh or feel sad. Scenes from this film might keep haunting your thoughts for a coupleThe title might be misleading. The trailer does not reveal what this movie will turn out to be either. This is black humor. You won't know if you should laugh or feel sad. Scenes from this film might keep haunting your thoughts for a couple of days. "World's Greatest Dad" is extraordinary and possibly unique. Highly recommended! Expand
hugoboyJun 11, 2011
it was 2am and i was about to go to bed,when i saw this movie starting and i decided to just see the title before going to bed,and i found myself hooked and my heavy eyes suddenly became wide open.now that's just how good this movie is. Theit was 2am and i was about to go to bed,when i saw this movie starting and i decided to just see the title before going to bed,and i found myself hooked and my heavy eyes suddenly became wide open.now that's just how good this movie is. The story is so deep,it would take you some days to climb back up to the surface. R.william was so great and believeable. A great movie,loved it Expand
StevenFMar 17, 2013
Many would say that World's Greatest Dad has quite a misleading title, but this couldn't be further from the truth, perfectly summing up a dangerously funny film that pushes the boundaries of comedy, but also how us human beings may deal whenMany would say that World's Greatest Dad has quite a misleading title, but this couldn't be further from the truth, perfectly summing up a dangerously funny film that pushes the boundaries of comedy, but also how us human beings may deal when tragedy strikes under the most unexplainable of circumstances.
Lance Clayton (Robin Williams) plays a down on his luck high school english teacher who aspires to become a famous writer, as he has yet to sell any of his work.
He is father to a very unruly and under-acheiving son, Kyle (Daryl Sabara), who doesn't appreciate or show any love towards his father, but Lance seems to just let it pass him by, along with a very non committed relationship with fellow teacher Claire (Alexie Gilmore).
But just when Lance seems to make a breakthrough with his arrogant son, an embarrassing yet equally tragic occurrence befalls Lance that soon changes his life forever, but not in the most common and expectant of circumstances.
The following story continues in a very surreal and awkwardly brilliant manner, one which director Bobcat Goldthwaite has utilised to the its fullest advantage, combining awkward confrontations with a black comedy script, all based on a lie.
Robin Williams puts in a dramatically grounded and excellent performance as the dad who is just along for the ride, until his guilt gets the better of him, which is perhaps where the film started to slightly unravel. His continuing lie to the people surrounding him becomes monstrous, to the point were he can only sit back and watch what he has created.
Daryl Sabara also steps out of his comfort zone as a teen action hero to be, well most average teens in our current generation, spoilt and ignorant to the point of disbelief, and he plays the part very well.
The film tests the emotional depth of the human psyche, and to what lengths we might go under pressure to cover up or even grieve for the loss of family or friends. What truly sets the film apart is really the almost realistic nature of the events, as they happen now in our very society.
World's Greatest Dad plays out basically to tap and prod at the basis of humans and how they capitalise on the opportunities of death. To what heights does hypocrisy and two-faced lying go? All these questions are put forward in this wonderfully crafted and risky tale of a dads strained relationship with his loathsome son.