8.5

1. Sep 7, 2013
    I'll be honest, I went into Wreck It Ralph thinking it would be a cheesy kids movie with little plot, just 90 minutes of childish humor. I admit that I was way off. After seeing this movie four times, I can say that I still laugh and enjoy the film.

Our main character is Ralph (John C. Reilly) who belongs in the arcade game Wreck It Ralph. Ralph's home is moved and replaced by a complex
    full of people knows as "NiceLanders." Ralph upset by this wrecks the building and it is fixed by Felix (Jack McBrayer.) That is the game that the arcade users play.

On the games anniversary, Ralph is not invited and wrecks the building for real this time because all he wants is a medal and to be a good guy for once. He decides to leave his own game and try to win a medal in others. He meets Sergeant Calhoun (Jane Lynch) in one game (Heroes Duty) and takes accidently flies a space pod into a candy racing game, (Sugar Rush) where he meets a girl named Vanellope von Schweetz. (Sarah Silverman)

We first meet Vanellope when she takes Ralph's medal. Throughout the movie we see her character evolve into a better person. Ralph starts to show emotion toward Vanellope which we can clearly see especially when Ralph teaches her how to drive a racecar. Vanellope usually gets picked on because she is called a glitch. She isn't allowed to race because if she crosses the finish line the entire game resets so she used Ralph's medal to enter the race. The movie takes a very unexpected turn and has a powerful ending.

I loved Wreck It Ralph enough to see it multiple times with friends and independently and have had great reactions from friends who watched it. Disney/Pixar really got this movie right and I am hoping for a sequel in the future.
  2. Aug 7, 2013
    Wreck it Ralph was a huge surprise to me. Not only it has excellent graphics but it is really touching and moving. I don't really watch animation movies but this movie was a simply perfection. I saw Brave too which was good but not as good as wreck-it Ralph. I can't say something about the acting but all this atmosphere of the games and everything in that film made me feel like a little child again. It is one of the best animation movies that I have ever seen and I would recommend it to everyone regardless their age. Should have won that Oscar as it was much much better than Brave A must-watch Expand
  3. Aug 2, 2013
    Wow, Wreck-it-Ralph is great (not that I'm surprised)! It's a nice, geeky and comedic movie which brings game characters old and new together. It has a charming story of how a bad guy wants to become a good guy; the story manages to be emotional and thrilling most likely it would appeal to all age audiences (except from maybe old people with their "Back in my day!" thing...). One thing that is done really well is that it lets you get to know the characters and what they're like; basically the characterization is done well (especially with Ralph and Venelope.). To conclude: this film is exciting and emotional and would appeal to most audiences with it's light-hearted humour and... annoying world wide liked music (witch: unfortunately... Do not like, but it does fit in with the film very well). So I give this film a... 90/100! Expand
  4. Jul 22, 2013
    Wreck-It Ralph is another fantastic animation from Disney. If you are a fan of videogames, you cannot afford to miss this treasure trove of nods and references. Better still, the movie has real heart and soul. And some good laughs to boot.
  5. Jul 21, 2013
    This movie is the current generations Toy Story. Is it as good as toy story? No, but this is the best animation of 2012. John C. Reilly is really good as ralph,(who didn't tear up when he was about to die) Sarah Silverman was pretty good, whoever voiced fix-it felix was good, same for king candy. The comedy is really good(most of it provided by king candy). There was a lot of obscure and easy to see references, and the credits had a lot of references too. Kids will love this movie and so will adults. Expand
  6. Jul 7, 2013
    I LOVED THIS MOVIE. IT WAS REALLY CUTE WHEN VENELOPE CROSSED THE FINISH LINE AND everything went Back To Normal!! Watch the trailer here, http://www.metacritic.com/movie/wreck-it-ralph/trailers
  7. Jul 5, 2013
    The 8-bit era is close to the heart of many a gamer, evoking a deep nostalgia for days gone by. Wreck-It Ralph firmly latches on to this sentiment, providing the older members of the audience with just as much to enjoy as the kids.

Disney's business practices aren't always seen in a positive light, but there can be no argument as to the consistency of the films they put out. They have a
    knack for producing stories that live long in the memory of both children and adults alike. This particular movie is no exception and, whilst the plot is far from original in terms of its themes and morals, it's done with such heart that it really doesn't matter. There are lazy genre flicks, but there are also good genre flicks, and this certainly falls into the latter category.

The world itself is realised with great attention to detail. The bright colours and finely detailed environments giving a real sense of how much work has gone into the production. The sights and sounds of the arcade are also integrated into the action with great effect, the mindful application they receive giving the impression that it's not just the audience that has been hit with a dose of nostalgia.

As per usual for Disney, the voice acting is top notch, with stars as diverse as Jane Lynch and Dennis Haysbert lending their expertise to bring the world to life. The characters are also very well conceived, each with their own cross to bear as they live out their lives as jobbing sprites in the local arcade. The art of tempering cuteness with a degree of sadness is where the film really excels, never coming close to the point of being off-putting through being sickly sweetness.

Rounding out the characters is a huge cast of extras taken from a variety of retro gaming sources. Everything from Street Fighter to Sonic, Mario to Q*bert is represented, and it never fails to raise a smile for those who look upon them with fondness. From a marketing perspective, it's a masterstroke. The kids get their serving of fun, but the appeal extends to a whole different generation, drawn in by the promise of a trip down memory lane.
  8. Jul 4, 2013
    "Wreck-It Ralph" is film that dives into the world of video games (and for a video gaming lover like me, how could I not like this film). "Wreck-It Ralph's beginning is great, I would have given it a 9 or 10 due to the fact that it deals with a fresh, original, and amazing world that is so interesting and fun to watch. However, once "Wreck-It Ralph" deals with its plot, it somewhat doesn't take advantage off its terrific universe. When "Wreck-It Ralph" spent a majority of the film in a game called "Sugar Rush", and I felt that it somewhat weakened the premise of the universe, as after a few minutes you can easily get over the "Sugar Rush" game. "Sugar Rush" was fun and somewhat creative, but the film spent to much time in it, and I felt that this movie could have gone as a chase through many games and expand to their film's universe, but no, it focused on "Sugar Rush". The story on Vanellope is sad (somewhat average), and Ralph's bad guy story gives emotions too, but it's climax is too kid friendly and I thought it could have dove into a much better and stronger conclusion involving the video game universe. Characters other than that are basically comic-relief, except for maybe the villain, but the villain isn't that well written and could have been stronger considering of the several menacing villains in the video game world. If comparing this to Brave, I thought they have the opposite strengths and weaknesses, and both having an "okay" plotline "Brave" has strong characters, but a so-so theme/premise; "Wreck-It Ralph" has so-so characters, an amazing theme/premise, but could have been built on. Expand
  9. Jun 25, 2013
    In a year were movies like the avengers and the dark knight and the always present competition of Pixar, it would be crazy to consider an non-pixar animated film one of the best movies of the year. Well, it would have be crazy if not for Wreck it Ralph! It is easily the best animated film of the year and one of my all time favorites from Disney.
  10. Jun 20, 2013
    Wreck-it Ralph has become one of my favorite movies of all time! The characters are pretty well developed for a kids movie, the animation is A+ quality, the soundtrack is great, it's very original, and has a great message. The only thing that bothered me was the occasional heavily corny joke, but, the rest of the movie was so amazing that it doesn't really matter that it had some corny jokes.
  11. Jun 10, 2013
    A film based on video game characters coming to life? Video games are so popular it's amazing that nobody has made a film like this before. Everything starts off well, the graphics and animations are outstanding and there's a great mix of different styles from different eras (8-bit, 16-bit, etc, with appropriate animations the nicelander people are particularly well done). Everything is introduced well and the first half an hour is a brilliant exercise in spotting the video game cameos. For someone who's been interested in games for a while I loved the more obscure references such as the metal gear exclamation mark.

However once we get to the sugar rush land things start to go a bit wrong. Vanellope starts off cute and the voice work by Sarah Silverman is very good, but unfortunately the character becomes quite irritating with all the breathless rushing around. We also have another story arc going on in the background with Felix and Calhoun but this is quite boring. What the film lacks is a strong comedy sidekick like the donkey in Shrek. I also feel that the film spends too long in Sugar Rush after a while you get bored of
    all the chocolate lakes and candy canes and wish they'd take the story to another game for a while. The story is also quite predictable and I was surprised to find myself getting quite bored long before the end. It's a shame because I felt they could have done so much more with the video game premise the entire section in sugar rush who have easily been set in Alice in Wonderland, for example, given the look of the environment and characters.

Overall the film is a mixture of Toy Story and Monsters Inc but isn't as good as either.
  12. Jun 5, 2013
    "Wreck-It Ralph" is an incredibly well thought out and well executed animation. The jarring political statement of the movie feeds the appetite of mature audiences. The overload of references to early 21st and late 20th century pop culture, however, alienates the younger audience. In addition, the concept of arcades is such an anomaly to younger generations that this film was, in fact, more of an homage to the Baby Boomer generation (and the political atmosphere that clouded that era).

Nevertheless, Walt Disney Studios did an outstanding production by presenting a heart-warming and relevant animation. Besides..what child wouldn't like a film about video games and candies?
  13. Jun 4, 2013
    "Wreck It Ralph is a wonderfully delight, pure imaginative treat. That has set a new bar for Disney films everywhere including PIXAR. It has tons of heart and humor, Without a doubt the best animated film of the year. Maybe even quite possibly a classic." A+
  14. May 27, 2013
    Nice idea it straddled the line between appealing to adults and kids quite well until the second act of the movie, where it did slip just a little. I think it's quite interesting how the movie directly referenced popular video games (post modern to the extreme) instead of designing thinly disguised similiar characters from known games it happens but it's still not very common. One day we won't always have to reference Greek mythology or other classic works for people to consider it an interesting comparison. Expand
  15. May 21, 2013
    Best animated movie this year for me. Loved the characters(all of them), very well placed humor, nice 3d effects, and it's super original, therefore it deserved it's place among Oscar's nominee!
  16. May 16, 2013
    Wreck-It Ralph is the best Disney movie since The Emperor's New Groove, which is a big deal for me to say, as The Emperor's New Groove is one of my favourite films of all time. Wreck-It Ralph is a gamer's dream film, all the nods to video games are fantastic and it really feels like a personal love letter to games and the arcade. The film is at times hilarious, heartfelt and exciting, all the ingredients for a truly memorable Disney film, while not quite all the jokes are funny, the vast majority of them had me laughing. Rich Moore has crafted the quintessential video game movie and has made it enjoyable to anyone, seriously, everyone in the family will like it (as long as they don't recoil at the sight of anything colourful). The best movie of 2013 so far, Wreck-It Ralph had me in stitches. Thank-you Rich Moore, 93/100. Expand
  17. May 15, 2013
    A great animation of the Disney studios. Ralph is a movie magically colorful and lively with a well done storyline, fantastic scenery and characters and charismatic and funny, making for a fun family film.
  18. May 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's about time a movie based off a video game; or in this case video game based, and I'm very glad that I spent the last of my allowance to see in it in theaters. I think just about everyone can make the connection that this movie is based off the Donkey Kong games from the early years; at least gamers know probably, and I guess that they couldn't get the rights to the characters so they improvised. I'm not entirely sure though. First off, it's about time, that we have a movie that's about video games and doesn't suck. I said it already, but it's so exciting. Enough with the geekgasm, I should start talking about why I like this film. Some of things that stand out in this film are the visuals, they are a joy to look at and have a lot of imagination put into them. Varying from arcade classic theme, dark gritty, and childlike. The characters are good, the main character has reasonable reasons for doing what he's done, the supporting cast are fun. Some have the cute brat charm, while others have the army general type. Story is great too, talking about how it feels to be the bad guy; of course it's circumstantial, but it does get the point across and the main character shows very good development. This is one of my favorite Disney films, and it surprises me in how this wasn't a Pixar production. I guess there's this giant plot hole near the end, but I don't see it as a major problem. I believe this is one of the best Disney films out there, and is certainly a joy to watch. Expand
  19. May 10, 2013
    This movie is one of the most clever, fun-filled, and original movies I have ever seen. There is rarely a dull moment, and it is family friendly but will be a hit for adults as well. This comedy is sure to make you laugh and connect with the characters as you complete this awesome adventure.
  20. May 6, 2013
    Awesome movie. I loved all the references and character cameos from the video games of years past. It was funny, clever and nostalgic. It would be a shame for anyone to miss out on this movie.
  21. Apr 26, 2013
    It's great to see Disney release another quality film that is of their Toy Story standards, and this was definitley one of them! It's such a creative concept that not only kids will love but big kids at heart that grew up with arcade games. They certainly knew how to hit their target audience and with likable characters like Ralph, Felix & Vanellope and a surprise villain this film pretty much had everything to be the success that it was. Overall a must-see for Disney fans out there! Expand
  22. Apr 21, 2013
    I originally had this rated a 7; after watching it again a few times, it's really grown on me. The film works well, delivering comedy for both parents and children. A tad predictable, but what Disney move isn't? All in all, one of the better family films to come out in last few years.
  23. Apr 20, 2013
    Wreck-It Ralph was //by far// the most original movie so far. Very emotional (to me) as well. I think it's for children 8-7 and up considering it says "killing" and "I want you dead" or something similar to that. But hey, this is just my honest opinion. I really recommend watching it, if you haven't already.
  24. Apr 19, 2013
    It has been a long time since Disney has produced something this great of a masterpiece; with an audience suited for anyone, beautiful animation, characters the audiences can relate to, emotional voice acting, a twist that actually surprised me and to top it all video game references that were actually relevant to the story. This film deserves all of the 'wreck-ognition' it has achieved.
  25. Apr 18, 2013
    Fear not, there's enough pop culture references and nostalgic homages to go around, for Wreck-It Ralph is a true bow to a culture and time that only now seems to live on in the arcade.
    Ralph (John C. Reilly) is fed up of being the villain in the Fix-It Felix game, he has no friends, lives in a dump (literally) and longs of being accepted in the wide world of his video game counterparts.
    As he makes it his point to get a medal and be accepted, we are introduced to childhood heroes reborn, everyone from the Pac-Man universe to Street Fighter and even a little Metal Gear Solid reference.
    There is a whole protocol within each game machine that when the arcade closes, they are free to explore each machine, and the film references on countless occasions just how limited technology was in these games, pixels fill the movement of various characters, showing the comparison between then and now (look at that High Definition, your face; its amazing).
    The film attempts to of course paint the sort of Toy Story picture of what do toys do when nobody is around, they live their lives, all the villains of all the games meet up at Pac Mans machine, where Blinky holds a support group for the villains, and this is truly one of the funniest parts of the film.
    The story does see Ralph trying his best to get a medal, but unfortunately creates an event which could destroy his own gaming machine for good, as he stumbles into the candy world which unfortunately has the cutest and most loveable glitch in small girl Vanellope, who just wants to race her sweet kart (it is literally made up of sweets). But Ralph must be careful because as Sonic says, if you die in another game, you cannot regenerate, ever.
    In regards to visuals, Wreck-It Ralph manages to achieve both the 2-D and 3-D universe seamlessly, which brings past characters to life while also bearing the resemblance of how we remember them.
    The story has the perfect voice cast with Reilly joined by Sarah Silverman and Jane Lynch,
    Its the visual gags that really make this film funny, taking cues from Pixar, and this very well could be mistaken for a Pixar film, but Disney have managed to make kids and adults happy alike whether the characters are running through the high-def world of Hero's Duty or indeed the Pac-Man word, Wreck-It Ralph is a wonderfully funny and well written piece that will amuse everyone.
  26. Apr 13, 2013
    This movie was adorable,intelligent and Full of memorable characters.
    Takes me back to the earlier Disney movies where you could feel for the characters and there was some emotional depth to them, or maybe there wasn't and I was just 10, but in wreck it ralph there definitely was..
    I'm going to suggest this movie to everyone I know with kids..

The idea of a videogame movie really
    appeals to me, Seeing all those arcade characters gave me a wonderful sense of nostalgia while watching this, wreck it ralph is one of those rare childrens movies that can easily be enjoyed by most light hearted adults and man-children Expand
  27. Apr 13, 2013
    this movie ws pretty good much better than i expected but it did have flaws the cast was very good in this i loved john c. riley as ralph and sarah silverman was great to the story was good except i would have liked to have seen more games or worlds visited it did seem to drag on towards the end with the whole sugar rush world but all around pretty good movie
  28. Apr 13, 2013
    I love a tremendous movie from disney that wasn't a part of Pixar, yet like "Tangled" it captivates the heart just like most Pixar movies. The movie really struck me with it's amazing anamation, along with bringing in some beloved games of our time like "Pac-Man", "Sonic" and even "Mario", (I'm talking about Bowser). But never the less, it took me by surprise. As far as storytelling, it's seems typical, but once you start to go for the ride, your having a blast. Plus, the characters are really interesting and captivate your heart with great voiceovers such as John C. Reily, Jack McBryer, Sarah Silverman and even Jane Lynch. And at the end, you will have had a heart warming experience. Overall, it's a wondorous non Pixar movie. Expand
  29. Apr 9, 2013
    I've never seen such a big, bold, extremely original and intellectually smart film as "Wreck-It Ralph". Truly lovable to its highest peak, it will not leave you unsatisfied! It's the meca of how quality animated films should be made. Trust me, instead of looking for the next action-packed flick, detour for a minute and devour this movie to pieces, just to have all its meaning into you. The greatest animated Pixar movie I've ever seen! Expand
  30. Mar 30, 2013
    As an old gamer, I really liked the respect this movie payed to all forgotten games out there So, if you know what Qbert is, go see the movie without further delay As for me, I have to remember where my ZX Spectrum is

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Feb 9, 2013
    For me, it never came to life.
  2. Reviewed by: Simon Crook
    Feb 4, 2013
    A "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" for the joystick generation that, despite a mid-act dip into generic Disney territory, high-scores on laughs, invention and 8-bit affection.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephen Kelly
    Jan 21, 2013
    A Disney flick that feels like on-form Pixar, blending knowing humour and sophistication with a large helping of heart. You'll want another go.