8.5

1. Feb 5, 2013
    Wreck It-Ralph is one of the best animated movies I have seen, the movie is heartwarming. The story is about Ralph who is on a journey of self discovery. It's a beautiful movie with meaning and a strong message that really makes you think about the importance of being able to accept yourself, who you are and what you do.
  2. Feb 3, 2013
    Wreck-It-Ralph is hilarious, smart, heartwarming, and manages to bring you into a fantastic world. It features great voice acting and clever jokes for all ages. I give this film 96%.
  3. Jan 30, 2013
    I wanted to love Wreck-It Ralph, and while I do liked it a lot, there's certain missed opportunities. The movie starts great, it seamlessly introduces the concept in a very easy and interesting format. I couldn't just but giggle with joy through the first part trying to find as many video-game cameos as I could. There's just something special about seeing characters you know and love on the big screen. The problem is that it eventually stops. The movie starts venturing into its own territory and it never looks back. For one, I am glad the movie doesn't just rely on cameos to win people over, but when there are so many possibilities and so many chances it is also hard to conceive that after 20 minutes or so of the movie; Ralph stays the rest of the film in only one video-game space, Sugar Rush. I expected, and I think everybody expected that Ralph would have taken the opportunity into wider conceptions. That out of the way, there's no deny that the movie has heart, and a lot of it. The chemistry between Ralph and Vanellope is unquestionable and makes for a very understandable and unique couple of characters. Its funny, its visually attractive, and has at it's heart a great story. Ralph makes up for the best animated movie of 2012. Expand
  4. Jan 25, 2013
    I haven't savoured any animated movies for a while, and I wasn't sure if it was because I was growing up or if they were actually getting worse. Then came this movie, the best animated movie I've seen in a long time. Thanks to some nifty world-building, I fell in love with the video game universe and got nostalgic when watching the video game action scenes, especially those set in Sugar Rush. Sarah Silverman's vocal performance as Vanellope von Schweetz stands as one of the movie's greatest highlights, and the animation and 3D are enticing and colourful. The script and characters are just as smart as some of Pixar's greatest movies, and had they released Wreck-it-Ralph instead of Brave last year, I would've gone as far to say that they made a full recovery from Cars 2. They didn't unfortunately, but Wreck-it-Ralph still emerges as the Toy Story of a new generation and I'd love to see how it'll play out as a franchise. Expand
  5. Jan 24, 2013
    Wreck-It Ralph is not only the best animated movie to come out this year, but it's a heartwarming adventure movie that really is for true video gamers. I love video games, and I have played all the classics like Super Mario, Pac-Man, Sonic the Hedgehog, and even newer games like Call of Duty or Halo, and they all add up to what makes this new film so fantastic. It takes the world of arcade games and shows us the view of the bad guy, who may not be so bad after all. The creators of the game really know what makes Disney Animation the best in the business, because just like a Pixar film, they are able to touch the core in the kid in us and able to give even an adult like me a great time. My only complaint about this film is that although they have many video game characters and worlds, we mostly spend time in a game called Sugar Rush. It's a candy world with a lot of characters that reminds me of Strawberry Shortcake or something, and I just felt like the movie could've explored a lot more games than a candy world. But this is not a big problem, because the movie itself is a great and wonderful time for all ages, and I think this is without a doubt the best video game movie ever made. I loved the story and animation, but the characters are what make Wreck-It Ralph so incredible. I honestly loved every character in the film, even Vanellope von Schweetz who I thought I was going to hate. This movie has a lot of heart and a lot of fun, and you need to see to see it right away. Expand
  6. Jan 23, 2013
    Nostalgia is key in relation to the enjoyment of this film. If you do not care much for video games or despise them generally--then this is NOT the film for you. The film has a decent amount of content in relation to retro video games, meaning that parents will take notice of how this film could be geared with an adult audience. Thus making parents want to take their children to see it. There was only ever one problem I had with the Wreck-It Ralph, and it was that there doesn't happen to be all that much going on during the film. There are not as many video games outside of the retro introduction and once the introduction has been done--there ends up being a complete lack of anything retro. The film doesn't seem to keep consistent, though other than that...Wreck-It Ralph is a great film and is rather enjoyable if you have at least a minimal knowledge of video games. Expand
  7. Jan 23, 2013
    The reason that I orignally wanted to see this movie, was because it was about video game characters in a games arcade and it featured many cameos from famous game icons. After seeing this film, I can say that it had all of that and more. Having 'Sonic the Hedgehog' appear more than three times in a movie already makes it awesome for me and there's plenty of fan service for everyone else too, ranging from 'Super Street Fighter' to 'Pacman'. There's just so much attention to detail, from the way some characters movements have an extremely low frame-rate like in some retro video-game, to a scene where Ralph pulls out of a sink a 'Super Mario' mushroom, an exlamation mark from 'Metal Gear Solid' and Zangief of 'Super Street-Fighter's unerwear. There are so many other scenes and aspects to the movie that have so much attention in the detail more so than any other movie that revolves around video games would, so I won't spoil it for you by saying any more about this (Besides, if I told you about every detail and reference to real video games in this movie, you'd be reading this for hours, anyway.) So they've definetely got the video-games side of this movie right, but what about the plot. Well, I know a bad guy who is looking to be good to be "wreck-ognized" isn't exactly the most original plot. While I haven't seen any movies that have actually used this plot before, I am sure it has been done and it also feels like the typical type of Disney plot. But to be honest, this did not disappoint me. You may think that this is because the video-game elements would distract you from the not-so-original plot, but I have to say, that isn't all. The reason the plot didn't bother me is because it was interpreted so well. Of course an animated movie revolving around video-games is quite a new thing, so this does not feel old. But the plot is just done so well at the same time. I cannot explain exactly how it does it, all I can really say is that you should definetely consider seeing it. If you play video games, don't even consider it. Just see it without question. And if you don't play video-games, the storyline is enough to make this movie worth seeing. I would give this a 9/10, but Metacritic only allow whole numbers, so I'll give it a 10. But to be honest, I have no problem giving it a 10. See it. Expand
  8. Jan 19, 2013
    Wreck it Ralph is a very touching film, because is about self-discovering and finding of the own purpose is life. It treats the story of Ralph the villain of a video game, who does not like his job, but he must do it because is what he has to do. The interesting thing is that we visualize to worlds, one in the arcade were lots of children go to play, and other one inside the video games were all the characters live; it is remarkable that they can go from one game to another using the Game Central Station. The plot starts when the protagonist leaves his game. In this point starts the searching of Ralph for his own purpose in life aka his destiny, that is why he not only will go through different games, but also through his soul, in order to find who he really is. Because of this Ralph quotes the villains oath: I am bad, and that is good. I will never be good, and that is not bad. I will always be me.
    In addition we notice that the concept of evil in the occidental mentality is broken, because it is no longer something bad, now it is a vital part of any situation; without evil, good means nothing.
    With awesome characters construction, great dialogues and non-disappointing animation, this is a movie for people who when they were children suffer bullying, were alone, have no friends or family; or that now are lost in life.
  9. Jan 11, 2013
    Creativity is key in Wreck-It Ralph; Disney
  10. Jan 6, 2013
    One of the best animated films of 2012.
  11. Jan 5, 2013
    This movie was an absolute blast. Charming animation, lovable characters and above all a story that's totally Disney. It doesn't rely on the gaming characters too much and the story and worlds were great. There were some clever jokes, great ideas and above all some plottwists that I didn't saw coming (Wait, the main antagonist is WHAAAAT?). The 3D is wonderfull too. There are some cliches, but still the best gaming movie of all time. Expand
  12. Jan 5, 2013
    Fantastic movie. Not only is the soundtrack incredible amazing for an movie (Especially the song AFTER the movie, from Owl City!) The characters are also lovable and interesting, the story is unique in the sense that it makes you think someone is a bad thing and they turn out to be good and it also has a plot twist in the end. And the references to other games like Pacman and Sonic are also amusing and cool. I really love this movie and I suggest every gamer (Even the ones who play Call of Duty, since - SPOILER - there is a Call of Duty reference in the movie..) should go watch it. Expand
  13. Jan 4, 2013
    Hilarious, flawlessly made and great entertainment for all viewers. Wreck-it Ralph will please both gamers and film goers alike with its utterly beautiful and brilliant execution and will keep both the young and the old constantly entertained.
  14. Jan 3, 2013
    This film was an instant classic. Though much the film's praise comes from its use of copyrighted characters, the original characters really stand out on their own. Ralph is an interesting antihero who actually has some disagreeable qualities that make him more interesting; the writers did a successful job at making a character like Vanellope actually *endearing* and not just obnoxious, as happens in many other movies with similar characters; and Sgt. Calhoun is unforgettable and reminiscent of Treasure Planet's Captain Amelia. For a kids' movie, the narrative was top-notch. There were no lazy narrative tricks or plot contrivances thrown in -- all of the plot twists and developments are hinted at earlier in the film and make sense in the established "world" of the film, and, as a corollary, everything mentioned earlier in the film has a satisfying payoff later on.

I predicted while walking out of the theater that people would complain about a perceived underutilization of the characters and worlds that Disney got the rights to use. The saying "Give people an inch, and they'll ask for a mile" applies here. I can understand people's desire to see more copyrighted characters and worlds, but the film deserves praise for using those *at all* and doesn't deserve to be docked points for not using them as much as the reviewer wanted. People who expected this movie to be a modern-day "Cartoon All-Stars" were bound to be disappointed, as this movie was always meant to be a Disney film starring original characters flavored by familiar faces and locales. The few worlds that Ralph visits are well-developed and represent a broad array of video game archetypes: His own world (representing classic arcade platformers like the original Donkey Kong); "Hero's Duty" (drawing inspiration from "Halo," "Gears of War," "Mass Effect," and generic arcade FPS games); and "Sugar Rush," inspired by various Japanese kart-racing games. Introducing any more worlds would have made the film seem too rushed; as it is, I felt amazed that they were able to fit as much as they did within the film's runtime.

In all, it's a great film for gamers of any age, especially those of us with fond memories of arcades and 8-bit games.
  15. Dec 29, 2012
    "Wreck-It Ralph" starts out completely promising, witty, and filled with a sense of smart blending of arcade and video game culture. However, as the film progresses, the story becomes weak and the characters are lackluster in any comedic wit or compassion. The film fails as a comprehensive plot and becomes a completely missed opportunity for the blending of such popular characters sharing the screen for one of the first times. Expand
  16. Dec 27, 2012
    This movie was okay, but I don't know why everyone loves it so much. The storyline was fine, but pretty predictable. It was good for one viewing, but I don't have any desire to watch it again.
  17. Dec 25, 2012
    If there's one word to describe this, it's original. Funny, sassy and incredibly clever. Best Disney movie in a long time, if not ever. In the beginning the concept is hard to grasp, but along the way, the characters explain it rather enjoyably. Wreck-it Ralph is a symbol of what it is in the arcade: here for a long time to come, even as other films come and go.
  18. Dec 20, 2012
    Wreck-It Ralph is an original feel good movie sure to please audiences of any age.
  19. Dec 8, 2012
    Wreck-It Ralph is one of the best movies of 2012. There were moments when I went "Awwe", moments when I went "Woah!", moments when I cried, and moments when I was shocked. It was a fantastic movie that you will always remember!
  20. Dec 8, 2012
    Very good movie. The voice acting was great, and the animation/art style was quite impressive. There are only two minor annoyances - the change in pacing made the second half of the movie take a little bit of time to get used to (although you do eventually warm up to it), and I wasn't too fond of the bathroom humor.
  21. Dec 7, 2012
    This movie was well done, compared to other video game movies that were very unsatisfying and unrelated to the games, technically, this isn't a video game movie, but an arcade movie. This movie had its funnies and didn't mess up. There is only one problem with this movie, because I'm a gamer, and that would be the limited video games showcased in the movie (around 3-5). I also dislike the main place where the movie takes place (Sugar Rush) it makes it seem like this movie was made for girls than guys. Overall, 8.4/10 Expand
  22. Dec 6, 2012
    Oh it owns. It reeks of Disney -sap, but hey what animation doesn't nowadays. Fun game references galore. I can't see someone not liking this movie. Very enjoyable.
  23. Dec 5, 2012
    Saw it in theaters, in 3D, loved it. Smart, funny, touching, different...W-I R was a great experience. I really like seeing Disney making great movies again.
  24. Dec 4, 2012
    Fantastic movie. I feel like this movie had a lil' something for everybody. For the gamer there were flashbacks to great games of the past (as well as little hidden nuggets that only gamers could pick up on), It also had a well thought out plot with thoughtful moments that pulled at your heartstrings. It was also very funny; I found myself laughing out loud numerous times. And last but not least, it even had a great twist that most viewers most likely did not see coming. All in all, Wreck-It-Ralph is a movie for people of all ages. Go see it today! Expand
  25. Dec 2, 2012
    I thought it was enjoyable, animation quality is good, story is decent. Not something I would go out of my way to watch, but not something that I would avoid either. Basically, at the end of the movie I didn't think "Wow that was awesome" but I also didn't think "I want my money back"
  26. Dec 2, 2012
    Disney has a hit on it's hands. A strong story with lovable characters as well as a hilarious look into the world of video games makes the movie original and fun. Easily the best animated film of the year. A must see for any gamer out there.
  27. Nov 28, 2012
    Spearheaded by pristine animation, an intricate story, and a talented vocal cast, Disney Animation's love letter to video games proves to be both affecting and amusing.
  28. Nov 27, 2012
    Well, it wasn't terrible. Usual kid fare. My son liked it, I guess that qualifies it as a success for the studio. Of course, he eats his boogers and wets the bed, so congrats Hollywood, demographic achieved. On an up note, Jane Lynch is a nice touch.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Feb 9, 2013
    For me, it never came to life.
  2. Reviewed by: Simon Crook
    Feb 4, 2013
    A "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" for the joystick generation that, despite a mid-act dip into generic Disney territory, high-scores on laughs, invention and 8-bit affection.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephen Kelly
    Jan 21, 2013
    A Disney flick that feels like on-form Pixar, blending knowing humour and sophistication with a large helping of heart. You'll want another go.