Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: November 2, 2012
8.4
Universal acclaim based on 748 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Henry_b1Feb 12, 2017
An excellent family watch with entertainment for adults. The characters are great and the message is good. It's constantly entertaining and you can really relate to the characters and the plot.
FreedomFightersDec 31, 2016
I'm sure you guys can tell from looking at my profile that I love me some video games. Gaming has been a hobby of mine since I was old enough to hold a controller, and I have no plans to stop gaming anytime soon. So, naturally, when I hearI'm sure you guys can tell from looking at my profile that I love me some video games. Gaming has been a hobby of mine since I was old enough to hold a controller, and I have no plans to stop gaming anytime soon. So, naturally, when I hear Disney is making a film about video games, the first thing out of my out is "YES PLEASE!" And thankfully, Disney delivered with "Wreck-it Ralph." The film is funny, beautifully animated, heartwarming, smart and well-written with fantastic characters and plenty of amazing video game references. If you are a gamer, you HAVE to watch this movie, as it essentially proves that you can make a film about video games and make it good. And even if you aren't a gamer, you should go check it out anyway! Expand
DavidTejadaNov 5, 2016
It might be Disney most ingenious and ambitious movie. With Wreck-it Ralph besides the very well animation it's showed the creativity of the producers to offer to audience. With honest emotion and team work, it earns the appreciation of everyone
J2005Sep 15, 2016
Wreck-It Ralph combines witty nostalgia with classic Disney heart and sensibilities while still providing enough sass and energy to implant the film firmly into today.

The end result is a video game based modern day classic capable of

The end result is a video game based modern day classic capable of being enjoyed by gamers and non gamers of all ages.
rgillesp15Sep 14, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Introduced to a generation just short of Pac-Man’s rise to fame, “Wreck It Ralph” (2012) is an animated film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios that showcases the once-loved arcade classics in new light that shines with a luminance meant to be loved by the modern generation. Ralph, voiced by John C. Reily, is a muscular “freak” who has only one function; using brute force to make a high-rise apartment building look like a victim in Tarantino’s “Pulp Fiction” by assaulting its walls with a barrage of punches and kicks. Then follows the high-spirited Fix-It Felix Junior; a handyman voiced by “30 Rock’s” Jack McBrayer who wins the hearts of the Nicelanders through his overly exuberant repair jobs on the post-Ralph crippled structure. In accordance with his efforts, Felix is regularly invited to their high-class parties, while Ralph is condemned every night to the town junkyard—a critical character dynamic that sets the stage for the rest of the film’s events to unfold.

After decades of this existence, Ralph yearns to escape, and that's the excuse for the movie to break free from the confines of its game. Ralph journeys through power cables and a surge projector to a place named Grand Game Central, where iconic arcade characters can travel and socialize. Wanting to finally gain recognition and acceptance of the Nicelanders, Ralph ventures out to find proof that he too, can be a “good-guy”. This effectively sets the stage for conflict and misadventures that come to follow, ultimately allowing Ralph to find not only recognition and respect, but himself as well.

In comparison to other animated films of its time, the design principles and color palette of "Wreck-It Ralph" are unprecedented, dazzling, and nothing short of incredible, created by high-end animation software including Maya, Houdini, etc. From the cutesy sparkles in Sugar Rush, all the way to the frenetic steam and flying ash effects in Hero’s Duty; The visuals offer unlimited sets, costumes and rules, giving the movie tireless originality and unique life in every cyber world that the viewer is immersed in.

Originally making his mark through work on the popular TV show, The Simpsons, director Rich Moore incorporates a familiar concept deviating from “Toy Story’s” clandestine world, when the arcade shuts, the machines come to life — a concept loaded with its own set of rules such as never jumping between games. In this sense, Wreck-It Ralph is unique among the few videogame-themed movies that exist today — it actually displays a genuine love for its subject, jam-packed with a clever balance of timeless, 8-bit humor and mild jeopardy that viewers of all ages can deeply appreciate. While younger viewers will most likely be attracted to the stunning CG visuals and witty character of Vanellope von Schweetz, seasoned gamers are invited to spot Sonic the Hedgehog, Pac Man, among the countless other cameos that clutter Game Central Station. Even adults, who may feel less persuaded to see such a movie, are offered sanctuary with the unlikely blooming romance between Felix Jr. and Jane Lynch’s dominatrix Marine, Calhoun. “Wreck It Ralph” truly is a rare family film that speaks to two generations at once. Both will come out satisfied, some more than others.

One feat that this film accomplishes surprisingly well is the effective portrayal of a role reversal, in the sense that the protagonist (Ralph) in reality, is only a villain in his video game. Despite being programmed as a villain however, there are a majority of scenes, including in the beginning that can evoke sympathy for Ralph from audiences. Other scenes, especially during his time with Vanillope and their growing friendship, show him as the kind, caring, and selfless person he truly is. Through his friendship with Vanillope that he learns what it truly means to be a hero. To top things off, the movie recharges for a hectic final act, throwing viewers into a wild “Mario Kart-eqsue” goose chase. These principles provide rich and immersive, top-notch storytelling, assisted with the exceptional use of a wide variety of camera angles, visual effects, and character development. All of which are prevalent throughout the film, and worked harmoniously with the less glamorous ones, thus forming a well delivered, successful and cohesive film overall. I highly recommend this film for audiences both young and old; particularly those who hold an interest in arcade classics or lovers of Adam Sandler’s “Pixels” (2015).
superbatAug 24, 2016
One of the best animated movies ever made. It has great voice-acting, excellent performances, awesome characters, and it is packed with video game references. I like Pixar films when they break out of the old "mold,"
SimpsonFansAug 4, 2016
WOW!, Wreck-It Ralph is one of the most amazing movies that I have the oportunity to watch this year. The story can sounds simple, but the magic of the movie start when you watching the cameos of all the famous characters that we know. TheWOW!, Wreck-It Ralph is one of the most amazing movies that I have the oportunity to watch this year. The story can sounds simple, but the magic of the movie start when you watching the cameos of all the famous characters that we know. The animation is really incredible, is like watch much movies in one. The screenplay can be the weak point of the movie, but don't have much importance when you watch a funny show, and Wreck-It Ralph is one of the most funny "shows" of this year. Amazing movie. Expand
gameguardian21Jun 19, 2016
This is a video game movie done right, even though it doesn't really focus on video games that much. It has the animation, as well as the emotional feel of disney movies. The only real problem I have with this movie is that it didn't get thatThis is a video game movie done right, even though it doesn't really focus on video games that much. It has the animation, as well as the emotional feel of disney movies. The only real problem I have with this movie is that it didn't get that feel of it being a video game movie that much, but it's still there. Expand
FuturedirectorMar 22, 2016
Wreck-it Ralph shows an awesome story-telling, excellent entertainment, pretty animation and unforgettable characters with an inventive premise to give another great Disney film that any kind of viewers will enjoy, despite the many plots andWreck-it Ralph shows an awesome story-telling, excellent entertainment, pretty animation and unforgettable characters with an inventive premise to give another great Disney film that any kind of viewers will enjoy, despite the many plots and the not-as-better-enough final. Expand
Mellow_Online4Mar 22, 2016
I criticised Super Mario Bros. on IMDB as a bad movie adaptation of the video games, so after I reviewed that I decided to write a review of a good movie about video games and I consider Wreck-It Ralph to be among the better ones.

The plot

The plot follows a video game villain called Ralph who has served as the bad guy in his video game for 30 years, but he's sick of being a bad guy and decides to leave his game in order to become a hero in another. He ends up becoming a hero by getting a medal in a FPS, but when he's leaving he ends up losing it and is thrown into a racing game and in there he encounters a girl called Vanelope who has dreamed of competing in the race for ages and finally gets a chance to when she steals the medal from Ralph and uses it to enter the race. Ralph learns the only way to get his medal back is to help Vanelope win the race. However, back at Ralph's old game, due to Ralph not being in the game, when their game starts up, Ralph is not there so they are temporarily put out of order, so Ralph is also on a time limit to get back to his old game before it's shut down for good. Scenes seem well thought out and seem to know when they might seem to start to run stale and cut themselves off before it does, with the exception of a couple of scenes. Scenes are also well thought out however a couple of scenes near the beginning there were a few scenes that felt unnecessary. For example near the beginning, Ralph is going through a metro, which is actually the wires running from the back of the arcade machines which all lead to a power source and can go to whatever game they want. The scene when they do this feels unnecessary because the whole 3 minute scene builds up to a joke which I only got a chuckle out of.

The cinematography in this film is very good. They have a mixture of sets that they experiment with and all of them add to the overall feels that we are in totally different environments as we jump from game to game. When we're in sugar rush, we are in a bright colourful environment with bright personalities but when we're in the fps, we're in a setting that looks a bit like the Alien movies with dark setting and more serious personalities.

The films comedy is mostly good. Most of the jokes work however there were a couple of jokes that I predicted the outcome. One thing I'll admire about the joke department in Wreck-It Ralph is that it doesn't rely on running gags to fill in it's comedic element like most other comedies, instead it relies on mostly thought out humour and light hearted jokes to get itself through and I admire it for that.

The music is well composed but there are a couple of questionable music choices. For example when Vanelope is driving around they chose "shut up and drive." That might sound like a good music choice on paper but in my opinion, I don't think it works in it's execution. Apart from that the music is good.

The acting is also good, however none of the acting particularly stood out. The acting was good but I can't really think of any voice actors in particular that gave a noteworthy performance, except for Alan Tudyk as King Candy. He gives off a gr8 comedic voice for a villain that still fits in with the game he's from.

Overall I still really enjoyed Wreck-It Ralph despite the film having a few shortcomings. I would recommend it to nearly everybody I know. Go out and watch this film.
TheSpacecatFeb 28, 2016
I love this movie. It's not the best and It's defiantly not on the level of classics such as "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" but it does come close. It has lots of vibrant backgrounds, colorful characters, has a ton of heart, and it takes fullI love this movie. It's not the best and It's defiantly not on the level of classics such as "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" but it does come close. It has lots of vibrant backgrounds, colorful characters, has a ton of heart, and it takes full advantage of the world it takes place in. Would recommend any day. Expand
Mellow_Online2Feb 13, 2016
On IMDB I criticized Super Mario Bros. as a bad movie adaptation of the video games, so after I reviewed that I decided to write a review of a good movie about video games and I consider Wreck-It Ralph to be among the better ones.

The plot

The plot follows a video game villain called Ralph who has served as the bad guy in his video game for 30 years, but he's sick of being a bad guy and decides to leave his game in order to become a hero in another. He ends up becoming a hero by getting a medal in a FPS, but when he's leaving he ends up losing it and is thrown into a racing game and in there he encounters a girl called Vanelope who has dreamed of competing in the race for ages and finally gets a chance to when she steals the medal from Ralph and uses it to enter the race. Ralph learns the only way to get his medal back is to help Vanelope win the race. However, back at Ralph's old game, due to Ralph not being in the game, when their game starts up, Ralph is not there so they are temporarily put out of order, so Ralph is also on a time limit to get back to his old game before it's shut down for good. Scenes seem well thought out and seem to know when they might seem to start to run stale and cut themselves off before it does, with the exception of a couple of scenes. Scenes are also well thought out however a couple of scenes near the beginning there were a few scenes that fealt unnecessary. For example near the beginning, Ralph is going through a metro, which is actually the wires running from the back of the arcade machines which all lead to a power source and can go to whatever game they want. The scene when they do this feels unnecessary because the whole 3 minute scene builds up to a joke which I only got a chuckle out of.

SEROJJan 13, 2016
Wreck it Ralph is animation every kid, adult, odl school gamer should watch! Nostalgic characters and adorable story! It's an absolute must watch for everyone!
EpicLadySpongeDec 28, 2015
A great movie about video games in the arcade. You can pretty much enjoy the eye-seeking game on many cameos of video game characters everywhere while watching the movie.
CineAutoctonoDec 5, 2015
Wreck -it Ralph is an amazing movie where the classic arcade video games have their own life , but no more an affair of the villain is the protagonist, and so remains after Villain , but has a good villain heart of hero.
YellowKirbyNov 26, 2015
Wreck-it-Ralph is fun, colourful and well made. The characters are developed nicely, the storyline is original (something we rarely get nowadays in Disney films) and the animation is top notch. Although quite a large portion of the movie isWreck-it-Ralph is fun, colourful and well made. The characters are developed nicely, the storyline is original (something we rarely get nowadays in Disney films) and the animation is top notch. Although quite a large portion of the movie is set in one of the less-interesting arcade worlds, Wreck-it-Ralph is still an entertaining heartfelt story about a villain who wants to become a good guy. Tops Frozen, if you ask me! Expand
DanBurritoOct 2, 2015
Even if you're not into video games, you might like this movie. There are certain terms you'd need to understand but you don't need a vast knowledge of them. Just a little note, this is NOT a Pixar film, contrary to popular belief. ItEven if you're not into video games, you might like this movie. There are certain terms you'd need to understand but you don't need a vast knowledge of them. Just a little note, this is NOT a Pixar film, contrary to popular belief. It definitely feels like one but it's actually Disney. Nevertheless, it's an excellent movie. The characters are likeable, there are some good twists and the story is great. I had to wait till 2013 to see this because that's when it comes out in Ireland and it was well worth the wait. I'm very excited for the sequel! Recommended for all ages. Expand
diegonelliSep 13, 2015
It's a stupid story but I love it, I watched it like 20 times and I'm not bored of it. I love the world that they create inside videogames. Also, 666 ratings :0 hahaha.
SpangleSep 3, 2015
An incredibly inventive and fun animated film, Wreck-It Ralph is an incredibly cool and fun take on old arcade games and the world they could exist in. Featuring great voice performances from John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, and many others,An incredibly inventive and fun animated film, Wreck-It Ralph is an incredibly cool and fun take on old arcade games and the world they could exist in. Featuring great voice performances from John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, and many others, the film is brilliantly animated and never ceases to entertain from beginning to end. In addition, the world it imagines for all your favorite arcade characters is both vast and incredibly creative. The writing is also very well done and the characters are very well done, multi-dimensional characters. This lends into the story being very entertaining and as creative as the world it exists in. I did not expect to love this one as much as I did, but ultimately, Wreck-It Ralph is a brilliantly animated film that hits all the right notes. Expand
S3AN06Jun 17, 2015
This movie can only be described by one word: SPECTACULAR! Wreck-it Ralph is my number one favourite movie of all time and is definitely for those who are a big fan of video games like myself.

Though the story may sound a little **** it

Though the story may sound a little **** it still amazed me with how Disney made a movie based on video games and included nearly every video game character noticeable; Each character has their own personality which makes up for the story:
Ralph wants to prove he can become a good guy despite playing the role of a bad guy in his game.
Felix is kind hearted and cares for those around him, even if they are villains in their respectful games.
Calhoun is programmed to have a tragic back story that scars her for life but overcomes the problem.
Vanellope being left out all because she's a glitch but in reality, that's a cover up; she's really trustful and can make good jokes for laughs.

Wreck-it Ralph is the only movie that I'd watch over and over again and will never grow tired of it; with many interesting characters and funny moments, Disney has made a masterpiece of a movie and for that, I rate this movie a 10 out of 10.

The movie truly deserves a sequel that features more game jumping, more game characters and more screen time for most of the characters like Candlehead and Mario (despite not appearing in the movie but has a reference).
GentM2015Jun 10, 2015
My favorite animated movie of all time and one of the best movies in general ever.Disney does such an astonishing job here as they have done everywhere else.Ralph is such a likable character and his friendship with Vanellope is done in such aMy favorite animated movie of all time and one of the best movies in general ever.Disney does such an astonishing job here as they have done everywhere else.Ralph is such a likable character and his friendship with Vanellope is done in such a beautiful way.I love this film so much. Expand
reellmJun 3, 2015
5/5★
5/5★
One of those rare films that despite catering to a wide audience is genuinely entertaining to all, from classic arcade games nostalgists to little kids enjoying all the candy and colors on display. Ralph has so much going on in each frame that repeated viewings are never boring but a chance to discover previously missed gags.
The originality is a breath of fresh air, and the obvious effort and care that was put into creating the film is on full display but most surprising of all is the heart- it never feels forced. Too many other animated films try too hard and never quite capture that elusive...Pixarism is the word for the magic Pixar weaves into their films.
Verdict: Watch
BeastprogamerMay 30, 2015
This is the best Kid's and Family movies I have seen. The storyline was just flawless. It takes place in a Game Centre full of arcades and all that. The characters were awesome, HECK even Bowser appeared! That is just awesome. My favouriteThis is the best Kid's and Family movies I have seen. The storyline was just flawless. It takes place in a Game Centre full of arcades and all that. The characters were awesome, HECK even Bowser appeared! That is just awesome. My favourite part is when cake splats on Pacman's face and I yelled "Dat Pacman Doe!" lolololol I mean PacMan is awesome (except for the crappy Atari 2600 game) but it was just hilarious. The humours are hilarious. Wreck it Ralph is a very great movie and if you hate Wreck it Ralph, you're silly as JB. I recommend you watch this. Expand
BV-SwiftyApr 20, 2015
I friggin' love this movie! This has got to be my absolute favorite animated movie I have ever seen! The animation was fantastic, the characters were very well developed, and it's just plain hysterical! This movie has plenty of memorableI friggin' love this movie! This has got to be my absolute favorite animated movie I have ever seen! The animation was fantastic, the characters were very well developed, and it's just plain hysterical! This movie has plenty of memorable moments and so many video game references, it's mind numbing! This movie literally describes why we love gaming and I wouldn't have it any other way! Expand
MrMovieBuffMar 17, 2015
'Wreck-It Ralph' is one of those rare original movies from Walt Disney Animation Studios, in other words, it's not based on fairy-tales, it's not based on true stories or anything else for that matter. It's just an idea that came from a'Wreck-It Ralph' is one of those rare original movies from Walt Disney Animation Studios, in other words, it's not based on fairy-tales, it's not based on true stories or anything else for that matter. It's just an idea that came from a writer's head and sold it to whatever studio is willing to accept it.

The movie focuses on a typical bad guy from a popular "Fix-It Felix Jr." video game named Ralph (voiced by John C. Reilly) whose depression gets the better of him since the game is about to reach its 30th anniversary and he feels unpopular and unloved.

Whenever the arcade closes, the video game characters go on to their daily lives of going to bars, or just hanging out at another game program.

Can't blame him, when was the last time you played "Super Mario" and thought maybe you should give Bowser a break? Why would you? He keeps kidnapping the Princess.

Ralph decides that enough is enough and must earn everybody's respect the same way that the ever so popular Felix Jr. (Jack McBrayer) has earned everybody's respect. In order for Ralph to prove himself, he needs to win a medal and it is there that he will get what he desires.

He tries to do this by "game-hopping", in other words, one video game character entering a different video game, kind of like seeing Sonic the Hedgehog appear out of nowhere in the game "Luigi's Mansion". Ralph enters a game called "Hero's Duty", a homage to the ever so popular "Call of Duty". He meets a very ballsy female action hero called Sargent Calhoun (Jane Lynch), who is a very funny character as she takes no nonsense and has more guts than most men, including Ralph.

Ralph manages to receive the medal, but accidentally takes a ship and a harmful "Hero's Duty" bug into another game called "Sugar Rush" which combines the visual aspect of "Candy Crush" and the gameplay style of "Mario Kart". He meets a young girl named Vanellope Von Schweetz (Sarah Silverman) who takes his medal and uses it to enter the race that she cannot be a part of.

We also meet a mysterious leader named King Candy (Alan Tudyk), who does not want Vanellope to compete in the game and tries to stop Ralph from letting her do so.

The funniest parts in the movie include the surprising romance between Fix-It Felix Jr. and Sargent Calhoun, the way the writers pull that off with intentional cliches, but genuine chemistry is very well done.

'Wreck-It Ralph' is a highly entertaining and colorful movie and one of the best movies of 2012. It shares the same spirit as the "Toy Story" films, maybe that's because it is executive produced by John Lasseter who never falls short of great imagination, and considering that it's made by Walt Disney Animation Studios instead of Pixar Animation Studios (which had 'Brave' that felt more Disney), it's understandable to get the two confused.

Great cast, great humor, great animation and a great story. 10/10.
homer4presidentMar 13, 2015
I can easily say with clear confidence that Wreck-It Ralph is the greatest video game movie ever made. Brilliantly combining the surreal childhood nostalgia of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" with the emotionally deep storytelling of the ToryI can easily say with clear confidence that Wreck-It Ralph is the greatest video game movie ever made. Brilliantly combining the surreal childhood nostalgia of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" with the emotionally deep storytelling of the Tory Story trilogy, this is one of those rare animated movies that appeals just as much to kids as it does to adults. The characters are genuinely likable and consistently funny, the brightly colored visuals are fantastically detailed, and the ingenious references to classic video games like Pac-Man and Streeth Fighter are a ton of fun to point out. Not only is this one of the most creative and entertaining films I've seen in 2012, but it actually made me feel like a kid again. Expand
SwJohnsonJan 19, 2015
What a movie, I mean it's fantastic, so original. Who could come up with such a great idea. I love the charters, and the voice acting was great. This is well worth the watch, with the kids or course, works of cinematic genius are best whenWhat a movie, I mean it's fantastic, so original. Who could come up with such a great idea. I love the charters, and the voice acting was great. This is well worth the watch, with the kids or course, works of cinematic genius are best when they are family friendly. Here is a great example of such. Expand
LocoGuy107Jan 7, 2015
"One of the most original films in years" indeed! I loved every bit of creativity that Disney has placed into this wholly beautiful and charming film, especially with the puns involved (Nesquik sand, LOL)!
abi_abhiabiDec 22, 2014
this is the best animated movie i have seen so far. i just loved that character called veneloppe. this movie has got all you want. i just want another movie sequel to this. i give it a perfect 10. some stupid **** gave it a 0/10 which isthis is the best animated movie i have seen so far. i just loved that character called veneloppe. this movie has got all you want. i just want another movie sequel to this. i give it a perfect 10. some stupid **** gave it a 0/10 which is totally unfair. don't hear those dumb **** who doesn't know how to enjoy a movie. this is a movie one should never miss. Expand
Tbone413Dec 5, 2014
Amazing movie, loved everything in Wreck-It Ralph. It's funny, has an excellent storyline and can be enjoyed by anyone big or small. I also like the way the use video games in the film, to also have a game feel in the movie. One of Disney'sAmazing movie, loved everything in Wreck-It Ralph. It's funny, has an excellent storyline and can be enjoyed by anyone big or small. I also like the way the use video games in the film, to also have a game feel in the movie. One of Disney's greatest movies of all time to me. It has everything you would ever want in a film. Well done, Disney. Expand
diop333Oct 27, 2014
The colors, the video game references, the characters, the story, the music, the voice acting, the animation. This movie has all the ingredients to fall in love with and that cute little girl from Sugar Rush is sweeter than sugar itself. ThisThe colors, the video game references, the characters, the story, the music, the voice acting, the animation. This movie has all the ingredients to fall in love with and that cute little girl from Sugar Rush is sweeter than sugar itself. This is one of the greatest Disney animation I think and yeah it is. Expand
NerdConsultantOct 26, 2014
this is the ultimate gamers movie. it pays the greatest respect to the games it's referencing and uses it's arcade setting in amazing ways

i love the story and characters especially Ralph in which john c riley gives one of his best performances and Vanellope who is expertly played by sarah silverman

seriously go and see this movie you won't regret it
BurkzyOct 17, 2014
I'm a gamer, this movie, just.. oh wow, i'm just waiting for Wreck-it-Ralph 2, those nostalgic video game characters, that storyline, This is the best Disney movie.

Gamers, watch this.
timrichieOct 8, 2014
Boasted by a clever script, and remarkable performances by John C. Reilly and Sarah Silverman, this nostalgic animated excellence could not be any better.
RealMuthaFAug 24, 2014
I didn't watch cartoons for a long time, but oh am I glad I got myself to watch this one. Mostly funny jokes, good soundtrack, LOTS of cameos and homages to different video game characters, and the absolutely adorable Vanellope all make up anI didn't watch cartoons for a long time, but oh am I glad I got myself to watch this one. Mostly funny jokes, good soundtrack, LOTS of cameos and homages to different video game characters, and the absolutely adorable Vanellope all make up an extremely solid cartoon which you must not miss. Expand
JarradGhentAug 9, 2014
The most miss leading movie of all time. A fairly passionless, pretty dull movie with an unlikable lead character, a clumsier story, poorly written bad guy, bad pacing and it just trying to get fans of video games into chimeras to get coldThe most miss leading movie of all time. A fairly passionless, pretty dull movie with an unlikable lead character, a clumsier story, poorly written bad guy, bad pacing and it just trying to get fans of video games into chimeras to get cold hard cash which just makes my skin cruel. Trying to distract you from it's gaming references from all the very big problems. Expand
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
Such a wonderful film i can not believe i did not see this in theaters. Everything from the dialog to the CGI was perfect. One of the best films of 2012 and the movie that iv'e had the most fun watching in 2013 so far. For me it's the bestSuch a wonderful film i can not believe i did not see this in theaters. Everything from the dialog to the CGI was perfect. One of the best films of 2012 and the movie that iv'e had the most fun watching in 2013 so far. For me it's the best video game related movie ever easily. all the characters all the little references had me laughing from start to finish.

(Ralph)John C. Reilly was perfect i don't think they could have picked anyone better for the voice acting. Vanellope(Sarah Silverman) was my favorite character for sure she was so cute and so funny and almost everything she said had me smiling. Felix(Jack McBrayer) was like his every day person well at least how he acts like how he acts in all his movies or t.v. shows a funny but still kinda shy guy still he is great. Calhoun(Jane Lynch) was great and funny but still brutal for her character got to love a woman that can kick some butt =P

Im so glad that i finally watched this movie i had bought it off Playstation network but the blu ray release is soon and i will be buying this on blu ray. Overall i give this movie a solid 8.5 and i will for sure be watching this movie a couple more time this year
IMAX500May 22, 2014
I Love Video Games so much! This is one of them. some them I know. Hero's Duty? Good joke for that! HA! Love that Joke! Other jokes like when ralph goes into the chocolate river and does that darth Vader Breath. Nice!!!
InspectorJavertMay 10, 2014
Wreck It Ralph is one of the best movies that Disney's made so far in this century. For me, its somewhere between Frozen and Tangled. Wreck It Ralph is very creative, and will likely appeal to gamers more than anyone else. That's not to sayWreck It Ralph is one of the best movies that Disney's made so far in this century. For me, its somewhere between Frozen and Tangled. Wreck It Ralph is very creative, and will likely appeal to gamers more than anyone else. That's not to say that there isn't something here if you're not a gamer, in fact there's a hell of a lot here to enjoy. There's a lot of heart and fun in the movie, and it delivers a strong message for the kids. Although I enjoy Tangled as a whole more, I think Wreck It Ralph has far superior themes and messages. The relationship between Ralph and Vanellope is really touching and believable. Although the two characters are not related, Wreck It Ralph conveys a much stronger sibling bond than Frozen managed to achieve. Wreck It Ralph is great, and its definitely one of Disney's more underrated films. Expand
SparklinDiamondApr 27, 2014
I have loved John C Reilly ever since I watched Chicago. Now this is the perfect voice role for him, you never have trouble believing that Ralph is exactly how he looks, which is odd. Wreck it Ralph is so unique, the people at Disney are justI have loved John C Reilly ever since I watched Chicago. Now this is the perfect voice role for him, you never have trouble believing that Ralph is exactly how he looks, which is odd. Wreck it Ralph is so unique, the people at Disney are just getting more and more creative. Wish I had their imaginative talent! This is amazing, I loved the way they could travel from game to game via wires, so creative! The characters are lovable and Vanellope is so cute! The fact the movie centres around 3 main game worlds shows how much they have thought about it. Wreck it ralph is kind of neutral ground, Heroes duty is aimed more at the male population and then of course Sugar Rush is aimed more at the female population. That is so clever as regardless if you agree with those stereotypes there will be one world you prefer, but this keeps everyone interested at some point of the movie. Thumbs up! Expand
MovieGuysApr 24, 2014
Wreck-it Ralph is one of the most original, sweet, and funny Disney movies to come out in years. Everything in the movie is colorful and dazzling, and it takes you back to the retro era of video gaming. It's message and heart are the bestWreck-it Ralph is one of the most original, sweet, and funny Disney movies to come out in years. Everything in the movie is colorful and dazzling, and it takes you back to the retro era of video gaming. It's message and heart are the best parts about it. Expand
oblique15Apr 18, 2014
This was silly Epic! I was surprised to find myself loving everything about it. It`s great in every way. It`s funny and has a good message. The characters are easy to like and root for.
DrewtheDude85Mar 29, 2014
The Greatest Video Game movie of all time! I loved it. I thought Disney did a masterful job on this movie! It has a lot of great references to different video games out there like Sonic the Hedgehog, Pac-Man, Tapper, Super Mario Bros and manyThe Greatest Video Game movie of all time! I loved it. I thought Disney did a masterful job on this movie! It has a lot of great references to different video games out there like Sonic the Hedgehog, Pac-Man, Tapper, Super Mario Bros and many others! Of course it's not just the references that make the movie brilliant, I also thought the story was fantastic, it had some good humor and a lot of "heart" to it. I do agree with a lot of people with the whole fact that this movie may have spent a little too much time in the Sugar Rush game; I would've liked it if they would've just explored other different games. Of course I understand that Disney couldn't just pull references out in every nook in cranny probably due to the copyrighting section of their budget. But I love what this films offers, I think that anyone could enjoy this game even if you are not a gamer. It so great to finally see a movie about video games that is actually good, because there are so many video game movies made out there that have been epic fails, but Wreck-It Ralph is a huge exception. Expand
lukechristianscMar 15, 2014
i love wreck it ralph its everything i seen in an animated film but not like this . there should be more violent but still loved it . but sugar rush is for gay girls and boys which i hated in this film
FilmVirtueMar 12, 2014
Let me tell you: I am not a fan of Disney movies at all, but this one right here, is one that just can't be ignored. Wreck It Ralph is one of the most cleverly written and created films ever made by Disney, possibly even further than just Disney.
OfficialMar 8, 2014
This is a clever, entertaining video-game based movie. It's also funny, touching, and I had a lot of fun with this film. What I would have liked to have seen more were characters based of from video games in reality. But other than that, thisThis is a clever, entertaining video-game based movie. It's also funny, touching, and I had a lot of fun with this film. What I would have liked to have seen more were characters based of from video games in reality. But other than that, this movie was just great. Expand
KayakMar 4, 2014
The concept and animation is just brilliant. Although the constant cameos and popular references, the occasional over-use of wordplay and a slight lack of emotional connection drag it down slightly, especially when compared to other recentThe concept and animation is just brilliant. Although the constant cameos and popular references, the occasional over-use of wordplay and a slight lack of emotional connection drag it down slightly, especially when compared to other recent Disney entries, it's still a great family film. Expand
MoondogNYCFeb 5, 2014
Classic video games character cameos and video games come to life in a hyper detailed CGI world. Sold. Unfortunately this movie falls flat overall. Too many characters, overly tricky plot twists and really is two plots smashed together. ThisClassic video games character cameos and video games come to life in a hyper detailed CGI world. Sold. Unfortunately this movie falls flat overall. Too many characters, overly tricky plot twists and really is two plots smashed together. This movie really should have been called "Sugar Rush" because Ralph's overarching plot seems lost in the meat of the film's race and betrayal story.

The ensemble video game cast of characters never really gels for me in the same way as the toys do in Toy Story or Finding Nemo. I'm still waiting for an awesome video game move. Like Tron this one falls short of the mark.
TimeOfTheChimpsJan 23, 2014
An excellent tribute to games that have passed, Ralph features an outstanding voice cast, amazing visuals, and hilarious video game references that will make anyone smile.
Iky009Dec 31, 2013
Um das animações mais divertida dos estúdios Dinsey, e com certeza uma das minha favoritas. História, cenários, efeitos sons são bem trabalhado e personagens divertidos.
RasenDec 29, 2013
This movie is my most absolute number 1 favourite disney movie, its cleaver, funny and IT HAS GAME CHARACTERS IN IT! which is brilliant because this title has limitless potential for future sequals, its got something for everyone you couldThis movie is my most absolute number 1 favourite disney movie, its cleaver, funny and IT HAS GAME CHARACTERS IN IT! which is brilliant because this title has limitless potential for future sequals, its got something for everyone you could possibly want in a Disney film, I never used to be a huge fan but now I am! Expand
mapizarroDec 27, 2013
Manichean characters are some typical things in Disney features but in "Wreck-It Ralph" tries to call into question this. Neither good people are so good neither bad people are so bad. "Tangled" is good, "Wreck-It Ralph" is better.
khviviDec 26, 2013
A surprisingly brilliant film, has plenty of both funny and sad parts, as per usual from Disney, and as a gamer the multitude of game references were nice.
khutchDec 21, 2013
At first, just not convincing, but after half hour of movie, he turns, the characters take you, and come on, a happy ending once in a while is always good.
blinkboy182Dec 11, 2013
I love this movie! It's great for kids and adults.(I'm 17-years-old). The voice acting is phenomenal and the animation is terrific! There was never a point in the movie where i felt bored, it was pretty funny and it had a heart-touching storyI love this movie! It's great for kids and adults.(I'm 17-years-old). The voice acting is phenomenal and the animation is terrific! There was never a point in the movie where i felt bored, it was pretty funny and it had a heart-touching story line!! I SERIOUSLY recommend for people of all ages to watch this movie. Expand
owlman1996Dec 9, 2013
This is one of the greatest animated movies that I have ever seen. I would say that it is amazing to a level par to Toy Story. Every character was portrayed well. The plot was exciting and not too predictable. My favorite part, however, wasThis is one of the greatest animated movies that I have ever seen. I would say that it is amazing to a level par to Toy Story. Every character was portrayed well. The plot was exciting and not too predictable. My favorite part, however, was that the characters weren't people. They had their own issues, and the making it relate-able to the human viewers was executed magnificently. The humor was rich and the story decently captivating. Amazing. Expand
ExKingNov 28, 2013
Wreck it Ralph is easily one of the best animations i have ever seen, the idea behind it is so creative and so beautiful that keeps you in excitement and anticipation the entire time, it's a class A movie with all it's element, from theWreck it Ralph is easily one of the best animations i have ever seen, the idea behind it is so creative and so beautiful that keeps you in excitement and anticipation the entire time, it's a class A movie with all it's element, from the voices to the story to the picture. and this one deserved the Oscar for best animated film more than Brave by miles. Expand
ShadowRNov 13, 2013
Oh yeah. This movie is HILARIOUS! If you are a big fan of video games, then you will fall IN LOVE with this movie. I used to think this movie was stupid, then I watched it, and I changed my mind. It's anything but!
aaronpaul121Nov 5, 2013
Excellent film....it has a lot of excitement and diversity in the plot....but......it will never match the impact that has given us by the "Toy Story" series.....
TheQuietGamerNov 4, 2013
A charming, funny, and heart-warming animated movie that acts as a love letter to video games. Honestly it's impressive to see an animated movie this good come from Disney and it not have Pixar's name attached to it. The characters and storyA charming, funny, and heart-warming animated movie that acts as a love letter to video games. Honestly it's impressive to see an animated movie this good come from Disney and it not have Pixar's name attached to it. The characters and story are charming, the animation is superb, and the voice acting is excellent. The movie may be about the title character, but it's Sarah Silverman's "Vanellope" that ends up stealing the show.

Kids are going to love this for it's characters, humor, and all around kid friendliness. However adults will love it for the exact same reason, and for it's numerous video game references. Honestly this is an excellent movie for gamers of all ages. It provides an excellent look at the interactive form of entertainment so many of us love. There are also numerous references to popular video games hidden throughout the film, some more subtle than others. This film pleased both the gamer and the movie fan within me.

"Wreck-It-Ralph" is a real treat, and just like the best Pixar movies both kids and adults will love every second of this film. A perfect movie for parents to watch with their kids. Heck it's good enough that parents don't even need their kids to watch this. This is a must watch for gamers alone just for the references hidden throughout. It's nice to see a film that portrays video games, not just as a worthless waste of time, but as a form of entertainment that is filled with characters and stories we can all love. Needless to say I highly recommend this movie.
tngo2400Oct 27, 2013
Wreck it Ralph Movie Review

Wreck it Ralph Movie Review

Wreck it Ralph is one of the greatest animated movies that is thrilling, hilarious, creative, and full of emotions. Audiences can understand Ralph’s perspective of feeling like a “nobody.” The story line flows very well and is great for children of all ages. The movie is about a game character who struggles to become a hero by obtaining a medal. Ralph strives to become a hero by surviving in another game called “Hero’s Duty.” Although he won the medal, he accidentally brings a “cy-bug” with him which can jeopardize the whole game system. Ralph and Vanellope have explored Candy Land adventures and met an enemy called “King Candy” which then gives a great twist to the story. In my perspective, Wreck it Ralph does not need any improvements since it effectively presents a successful story of Ralph finding his own true meaning of himself and is seen as a hero all along. I think the director of this movie did a wonderful job in creating each scene and making sure it flows smoothly until the very end. Overall, the movie is thrilling and did not fail to entertain the audience and myself.

Literary: The spoken language is completely English and each of the main characters changes through out the film by further exploring their inner personality. The main issue of the movie is that Ralph fails to become a hero since he is always the “bad guy.” Ralph's situation with the cy-bug caused more problems and have jeopardized the game system.. The story was very interesting to me since the plot was well developed and characters had very unique personalities.
Dramatic: The setting of this movie was very extraordinary. All the features in “Candy Land” were made out of candy and most of these candies were from Willy Wonka Company. The colorful backgrounds and scenery were very impressive and creative.
Cinematic: In several scenes of the movie, the music flowed very well with the action of the characters. I believe the music is appropriate and fits well with the scenarios. The music is fun, playful, and great for children.
JacobOct 11, 2013
Wreck-It Ralph is a unique film for Disney because it does not feel like a Disney movie at all. Its atmosphere and characters are more reminiscent of that of an old school Pixar film (ex. Monsters Inc.). That being said it is not a greatWreck-It Ralph is a unique film for Disney because it does not feel like a Disney movie at all. Its atmosphere and characters are more reminiscent of that of an old school Pixar film (ex. Monsters Inc.). That being said it is not a great film. It can be tad cliché at times and the characters could have used a bit more development but for a Disney film it was pretty impressive. It is great to see Disney break away from their traditional formula and create something more original and inspired. As a result, Disney was able to create an enjoyable film, more original than Brave, that is definitely worth a watch. If you felt that Brave was good but unoriginal and want something more inspired than definitely check this film out. Wreck-It Ralph feels more like a Pixar film than a Disney film and if Disney keeps this sort of creativity up, I’m sure they’ll get back to their heyday soon enough. Expand
AlexProductionsSep 7, 2013
I'll be honest, I went into Wreck It Ralph thinking it would be a cheesy kids movie with little plot, just 90 minutes of childish humor. I admit that I was way off. After seeing this movie four times, I can say that I still laugh and enjoyI'll be honest, I went into Wreck It Ralph thinking it would be a cheesy kids movie with little plot, just 90 minutes of childish humor. I admit that I was way off. After seeing this movie four times, I can say that I still laugh and enjoy the film.

Our main character is Ralph (John C. Reilly) who belongs in the arcade game Wreck It Ralph. Ralph's home is moved and replaced by a complex full of people knows as "NiceLanders." Ralph upset by this wrecks the building and it is fixed by Felix (Jack McBrayer.) That is the game that the arcade users play.

On the games anniversary, Ralph is not invited and wrecks the building for real this time because all he wants is a medal and to be a good guy for once. He decides to leave his own game and try to win a medal in others. He meets Sergeant Calhoun (Jane Lynch) in one game (Heroes Duty) and takes accidently flies a space pod into a candy racing game, (Sugar Rush) where he meets a girl named Vanellope von Schweetz. (Sarah Silverman)

We first meet Vanellope when she takes Ralph's medal. Throughout the movie we see her character evolve into a better person. Ralph starts to show emotion toward Vanellope which we can clearly see especially when Ralph teaches her how to drive a racecar. Vanellope usually gets picked on because she is called a glitch. She isn't allowed to race because if she crosses the finish line the entire game resets so she used Ralph's medal to enter the race. The movie takes a very unexpected turn and has a powerful ending.

I loved Wreck It Ralph enough to see it multiple times with friends and independently and have had great reactions from friends who watched it. Disney/Pixar really got this movie right and I am hoping for a sequel in the future.
KivaAug 7, 2013
Wreck it Ralph was a huge surprise to me. Not only it has excellent graphics but it is really touching and moving. I don't really watch animation movies but this movie was a simply perfection. I saw Brave too which was good but not as good asWreck it Ralph was a huge surprise to me. Not only it has excellent graphics but it is really touching and moving. I don't really watch animation movies but this movie was a simply perfection. I saw Brave too which was good but not as good as wreck-it Ralph. I can't say something about the acting but all this atmosphere of the games and everything in that film made me feel like a little child again. It is one of the best animation movies that I have ever seen and I would recommend it to everyone regardless their age. Should have won that Oscar as it was much much better than Brave A must-watch Expand
skyminsterAug 2, 2013
Wow, Wreck-it-Ralph is great (not that I'm surprised)! It's a nice, geeky and comedic movie which brings game characters old and new together. It has a charming story of how a bad guy wants to become a good guy; the story manages to beWow, Wreck-it-Ralph is great (not that I'm surprised)! It's a nice, geeky and comedic movie which brings game characters old and new together. It has a charming story of how a bad guy wants to become a good guy; the story manages to be emotional and thrilling most likely it would appeal to all age audiences (except from maybe old people with their "Back in my day!" thing...). One thing that is done really well is that it lets you get to know the characters and what they're like; basically the characterization is done well (especially with Ralph and Venelope.). To conclude: this film is exciting and emotional and would appeal to most audiences with it's light-hearted humour and... annoying world wide liked music (witch: unfortunately... Do not like, but it does fit in with the film very well). So I give this film a... 90/100! Expand
TokyochuchuJul 22, 2013
Wreck-It Ralph is another fantastic animation from Disney. If you are a fan of videogames, you cannot afford to miss this treasure trove of nods and references. Better still, the movie has real heart and soul. And some good laughs to boot.
christhebeast42Jul 21, 2013
This movie is the current generations Toy Story. Is it as good as toy story? No, but this is the best animation of 2012. John C. Reilly is really good as ralph,(who didn't tear up when he was about to die) Sarah Silverman was pretty good,This movie is the current generations Toy Story. Is it as good as toy story? No, but this is the best animation of 2012. John C. Reilly is really good as ralph,(who didn't tear up when he was about to die) Sarah Silverman was pretty good, whoever voiced fix-it felix was good, same for king candy. The comedy is really good(most of it provided by king candy). There was a lot of obscure and easy to see references, and the credits had a lot of references too. Kids will love this movie and so will adults. Expand
kylefrbJul 7, 2013
I LOVED THIS MOVIE. IT WAS REALLY CUTE WHEN VENELOPE CROSSED THE FINISH LINE AND everything went Back To Normal!! Watch the trailer here, http://www.metacritic.com/movie/wreck-it-ralph/trailers
HansFlicksJul 5, 2013
The 8-bit era is close to the heart of many a gamer, evoking a deep nostalgia for days gone by. Wreck-It Ralph firmly latches on to this sentiment, providing the older members of the audience with just as much to enjoy as the kids.The 8-bit era is close to the heart of many a gamer, evoking a deep nostalgia for days gone by. Wreck-It Ralph firmly latches on to this sentiment, providing the older members of the audience with just as much to enjoy as the kids.

Disney's business practices aren't always seen in a positive light, but there can be no argument as to the consistency of the films they put out. They have a knack for producing stories that live long in the memory of both children and adults alike. This particular movie is no exception and, whilst the plot is far from original in terms of its themes and morals, it's done with such heart that it really doesn't matter. There are lazy genre flicks, but there are also good genre flicks, and this certainly falls into the latter category.

The world itself is realised with great attention to detail. The bright colours and finely detailed environments giving a real sense of how much work has gone into the production. The sights and sounds of the arcade are also integrated into the action with great effect, the mindful application they receive giving the impression that it's not just the audience that has been hit with a dose of nostalgia.

As per usual for Disney, the voice acting is top notch, with stars as diverse as Jane Lynch and Dennis Haysbert lending their expertise to bring the world to life. The characters are also very well conceived, each with their own cross to bear as they live out their lives as jobbing sprites in the local arcade. The art of tempering cuteness with a degree of sadness is where the film really excels, never coming close to the point of being off-putting through being sickly sweetness.

Rounding out the characters is a huge cast of extras taken from a variety of retro gaming sources. Everything from Street Fighter to Sonic, Mario to Q*bert is represented, and it never fails to raise a smile for those who look upon them with fondness. From a marketing perspective, it's a masterstroke. The kids get their serving of fun, but the appeal extends to a whole different generation, drawn in by the promise of a trip down memory lane.
jeff_reviewsJul 4, 2013
"Wreck-It Ralph" is film that dives into the world of video games (and for a video gaming lover like me, how could I not like this film). "Wreck-It Ralph's beginning is great, I would have given it a 9 or 10 due to the fact that it deals with"Wreck-It Ralph" is film that dives into the world of video games (and for a video gaming lover like me, how could I not like this film). "Wreck-It Ralph's beginning is great, I would have given it a 9 or 10 due to the fact that it deals with a fresh, original, and amazing world that is so interesting and fun to watch. However, once "Wreck-It Ralph" deals with its plot, it somewhat doesn't take advantage off its terrific universe. When "Wreck-It Ralph" spent a majority of the film in a game called "Sugar Rush", and I felt that it somewhat weakened the premise of the universe, as after a few minutes you can easily get over the "Sugar Rush" game. "Sugar Rush" was fun and somewhat creative, but the film spent to much time in it, and I felt that this movie could have gone as a chase through many games and expand to their film's universe, but no, it focused on "Sugar Rush". The story on Vanellope is sad (somewhat average), and Ralph's bad guy story gives emotions too, but it's climax is too kid friendly and I thought it could have dove into a much better and stronger conclusion involving the video game universe. Characters other than that are basically comic-relief, except for maybe the villain, but the villain isn't that well written and could have been stronger considering of the several menacing villains in the video game world. If comparing this to Brave, I thought they have the opposite strengths and weaknesses, and both having an "okay" plotline "Brave" has strong characters, but a so-so theme/premise; "Wreck-It Ralph" has so-so characters, an amazing theme/premise, but could have been built on. Expand
morfilJun 25, 2013
In a year were movies like the avengers and the dark knight and the always present competition of Pixar, it would be crazy to consider an non-pixar animated film one of the best movies of the year. Well, it would have be crazy if not forIn a year were movies like the avengers and the dark knight and the always present competition of Pixar, it would be crazy to consider an non-pixar animated film one of the best movies of the year. Well, it would have be crazy if not for Wreck it Ralph! It is easily the best animated film of the year and one of my all time favorites from Disney. Expand
ItsRaininMenJun 20, 2013
Wreck-it Ralph has become one of my favorite movies of all time! The characters are pretty well developed for a kids movie, the animation is A+ quality, the soundtrack is great, it's very original, and has a great message. The only thing thatWreck-it Ralph has become one of my favorite movies of all time! The characters are pretty well developed for a kids movie, the animation is A+ quality, the soundtrack is great, it's very original, and has a great message. The only thing that bothered me was the occasional heavily corny joke, but, the rest of the movie was so amazing that it doesn't really matter that it had some corny jokes. Expand
DukeJonJun 10, 2013
A film based on video game characters coming to life? Video games are so popular it's amazing that nobody has made a film like this before. Everything starts off well, the graphics and animations are outstanding and there's a great mix ofA film based on video game characters coming to life? Video games are so popular it's amazing that nobody has made a film like this before. Everything starts off well, the graphics and animations are outstanding and there's a great mix of different styles from different eras (8-bit, 16-bit, etc, with appropriate animations the nicelander people are particularly well done). Everything is introduced well and the first half an hour is a brilliant exercise in spotting the video game cameos. For someone who's been interested in games for a while I loved the more obscure references such as the metal gear exclamation mark.

However once we get to the sugar rush land things start to go a bit wrong. Vanellope starts off cute and the voice work by Sarah Silverman is very good, but unfortunately the character becomes quite irritating with all the breathless rushing around. We also have another story arc going on in the background with Felix and Calhoun but this is quite boring. What the film lacks is a strong comedy sidekick like the donkey in Shrek. I also feel that the film spends too long in Sugar Rush after a while you get bored of
all the chocolate lakes and candy canes and wish they'd take the story to another game for a while. The story is also quite predictable and I was surprised to find myself getting quite bored long before the end. It's a shame because I felt they could have done so much more with the video game premise the entire section in sugar rush who have easily been set in Alice in Wonderland, for example, given the look of the environment and characters.

Overall the film is a mixture of Toy Story and Monsters Inc but isn't as good as either.
dollarsignJun 5, 2013
"Wreck-It Ralph" is an incredibly well thought out and well executed animation. The jarring political statement of the movie feeds the appetite of mature audiences. The overload of references to early 21st and late 20th century pop culture,"Wreck-It Ralph" is an incredibly well thought out and well executed animation. The jarring political statement of the movie feeds the appetite of mature audiences. The overload of references to early 21st and late 20th century pop culture, however, alienates the younger audience. In addition, the concept of arcades is such an anomaly to younger generations that this film was, in fact, more of an homage to the Baby Boomer generation (and the political atmosphere that clouded that era).

Nevertheless, Walt Disney Studios did an outstanding production by presenting a heart-warming and relevant animation. Besides..what child wouldn't like a film about video games and candies?
Forrestgump1Jun 4, 2013
"Wreck It Ralph is a wonderfully delight, pure imaginative treat. That has set a new bar for Disney films everywhere including PIXAR. It has tons of heart and humor, Without a doubt the best animated film of the year. Maybe even quite"Wreck It Ralph is a wonderfully delight, pure imaginative treat. That has set a new bar for Disney films everywhere including PIXAR. It has tons of heart and humor, Without a doubt the best animated film of the year. Maybe even quite possibly a classic." A+ Expand
fogzaMay 27, 2013
Nice idea it straddled the line between appealing to adults and kids quite well until the second act of the movie, where it did slip just a little. I think it's quite interesting how the movie directly referenced popular video games (postNice idea it straddled the line between appealing to adults and kids quite well until the second act of the movie, where it did slip just a little. I think it's quite interesting how the movie directly referenced popular video games (post modern to the extreme) instead of designing thinly disguised similiar characters from known games it happens but it's still not very common. One day we won't always have to reference Greek mythology or other classic works for people to consider it an interesting comparison. Expand
PStakhivMay 21, 2013
Best animated movie this year for me. Loved the characters(all of them), very well placed humor, nice 3d effects, and it's super original, therefore it deserved it's place among Oscar's nominee!
HappymonkMay 16, 2013
Wreck-It Ralph is the best Disney movie since The Emperor's New Groove, which is a big deal for me to say, as The Emperor's New Groove is one of my favourite films of all time. Wreck-It Ralph is a gamer's dream film, all the nods to videoWreck-It Ralph is the best Disney movie since The Emperor's New Groove, which is a big deal for me to say, as The Emperor's New Groove is one of my favourite films of all time. Wreck-It Ralph is a gamer's dream film, all the nods to video games are fantastic and it really feels like a personal love letter to games and the arcade. The film is at times hilarious, heartfelt and exciting, all the ingredients for a truly memorable Disney film, while not quite all the jokes are funny, the vast majority of them had me laughing. Rich Moore has crafted the quintessential video game movie and has made it enjoyable to anyone, seriously, everyone in the family will like it (as long as they don't recoil at the sight of anything colourful). The best movie of 2013 so far, Wreck-It Ralph had me in stitches. Thank-you Rich Moore, 93/100. Expand
nippu33May 15, 2013
A great animation of the Disney studios. Ralph is a movie magically colorful and lively with a well done storyline, fantastic scenery and characters and charismatic and funny, making for a fun family film.
Skullgirlsfan13May 14, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's about time a movie based off a video game; or in this case video game based, and I'm very glad that I spent the last of my allowance to see in it in theaters. I think just about everyone can make the connection that this movie is based off the Donkey Kong games from the early years; at least gamers know probably, and I guess that they couldn't get the rights to the characters so they improvised. I'm not entirely sure though. First off, it's about time, that we have a movie that's about video games and doesn't suck. I said it already, but it's so exciting. Enough with the geekgasm, I should start talking about why I like this film. Some of things that stand out in this film are the visuals, they are a joy to look at and have a lot of imagination put into them. Varying from arcade classic theme, dark gritty, and childlike. The characters are good, the main character has reasonable reasons for doing what he's done, the supporting cast are fun. Some have the cute brat charm, while others have the army general type. Story is great too, talking about how it feels to be the bad guy; of course it's circumstantial, but it does get the point across and the main character shows very good development. This is one of my favorite Disney films, and it surprises me in how this wasn't a Pixar production. I guess there's this giant plot hole near the end, but I don't see it as a major problem. I believe this is one of the best Disney films out there, and is certainly a joy to watch. Expand
metabulldogMay 10, 2013
This movie is one of the most clever, fun-filled, and original movies I have ever seen. There is rarely a dull moment, and it is family friendly but will be a hit for adults as well. This comedy is sure to make you laugh and connect with theThis movie is one of the most clever, fun-filled, and original movies I have ever seen. There is rarely a dull moment, and it is family friendly but will be a hit for adults as well. This comedy is sure to make you laugh and connect with the characters as you complete this awesome adventure. Expand
PimpinpakmanMay 6, 2013
Awesome movie. I loved all the references and character cameos from the video games of years past. It was funny, clever and nostalgic. It would be a shame for anyone to miss out on this movie.
survivorfan989Apr 26, 2013
It's great to see Disney release another quality film that is of their Toy Story standards, and this was definitley one of them! It's such a creative concept that not only kids will love but big kids at heart that grew up with arcade games.It's great to see Disney release another quality film that is of their Toy Story standards, and this was definitley one of them! It's such a creative concept that not only kids will love but big kids at heart that grew up with arcade games. They certainly knew how to hit their target audience and with likable characters like Ralph, Felix & Vanellope and a surprise villain this film pretty much had everything to be the success that it was. Overall a must-see for Disney fans out there! Expand
OnAnarchyApr 21, 2013
I originally had this rated a 7; after watching it again a few times, it's really grown on me. The film works well, delivering comedy for both parents and children. A tad predictable, but what Disney move isn't? All in all, one of theI originally had this rated a 7; after watching it again a few times, it's really grown on me. The film works well, delivering comedy for both parents and children. A tad predictable, but what Disney move isn't? All in all, one of the better family films to come out in last few years. Expand
ForeverDuckApr 20, 2013
Wreck-It Ralph was //by far// the most original movie so far. Very emotional (to me) as well. I think it's for children 8-7 and up considering it says "killing" and "I want you dead" or something similar to that. But hey, this is just myWreck-It Ralph was //by far// the most original movie so far. Very emotional (to me) as well. I think it's for children 8-7 and up considering it says "killing" and "I want you dead" or something similar to that. But hey, this is just my honest opinion. I really recommend watching it, if you haven't already. Expand
InspectorJApr 19, 2013
It has been a long time since Disney has produced something this great of a masterpiece; with an audience suited for anyone, beautiful animation, characters the audiences can relate to, emotional voice acting, a twist that actually surprisedIt has been a long time since Disney has produced something this great of a masterpiece; with an audience suited for anyone, beautiful animation, characters the audiences can relate to, emotional voice acting, a twist that actually surprised me and to top it all video game references that were actually relevant to the story. This film deserves all of the 'wreck-ognition' it has achieved. Expand
StevenFApr 18, 2013
Fear not, there's enough pop culture references and nostalgic homages to go around, for Wreck-It Ralph is a true bow to a culture and time that only now seems to live on in the arcade.
Ralph (John C. Reilly) is fed up of being the villain in
Ralph (John C. Reilly) is fed up of being the villain in the Fix-It Felix game, he has no friends, lives in a dump (literally) and longs of being accepted in the wide world of his video game counterparts. As he makes it his point to get a medal and be accepted, we are introduced to childhood heroes reborn, everyone from the Pac-Man universe to Street Fighter and even a little Metal Gear Solid reference.
There is a whole protocol within each game machine that when the arcade closes, they are free to explore each machine, and the film references on countless occasions just how limited technology was in these games, pixels fill the movement of various characters, showing the comparison between then and now (look at that High Definition, your face; its amazing).
The film attempts to of course paint the sort of Toy Story picture of what do toys do when nobody is around, they live their lives, all the villains of all the games meet up at Pac Mans machine, where Blinky holds a support group for the villains, and this is truly one of the funniest parts of the film.
The story does see Ralph trying his best to get a medal, but unfortunately creates an event which could destroy his own gaming machine for good, as he stumbles into the candy world which unfortunately has the cutest and most loveable glitch in small girl Vanellope, who just wants to race her sweet kart (it is literally made up of sweets). But Ralph must be careful because as Sonic says, if you die in another game, you cannot regenerate, ever.
In regards to visuals, Wreck-It Ralph manages to achieve both the 2-D and 3-D universe seamlessly, which brings past characters to life while also bearing the resemblance of how we remember them.
The story has the perfect voice cast with Reilly joined by Sarah Silverman and Jane Lynch,
Its the visual gags that really make this film funny, taking cues from Pixar, and this very well could be mistaken for a Pixar film, but Disney have managed to make kids and adults happy alike whether the characters are running through the high-def world of Hero's Duty or indeed the Pac-Man word, Wreck-It Ralph is a wonderfully funny and well written piece that will amuse everyone.
MrRPGApr 13, 2013
This movie was adorable,intelligent and Full of memorable characters.
This movie was adorable,intelligent and Full of memorable characters.
Takes me back to the earlier Disney movies where you could feel for the characters and there was some emotional depth to them, or maybe there wasn't and I was just 10, but in wreck it ralph there definitely was..
I'm going to suggest this movie to everyone I know with kids..

The idea of a videogame movie really appeals to me, Seeing all those arcade characters gave me a wonderful sense of nostalgia while watching this, wreck it ralph is one of those rare childrens movies that can easily be enjoyed by most light hearted adults and man-children
chrismars8Apr 13, 2013
this movie ws pretty good much better than i expected but it did have flaws the cast was very good in this i loved john c. riley as ralph and sarah silverman was great to the story was good except i would have liked to have seen more games orthis movie ws pretty good much better than i expected but it did have flaws the cast was very good in this i loved john c. riley as ralph and sarah silverman was great to the story was good except i would have liked to have seen more games or worlds visited it did seem to drag on towards the end with the whole sugar rush world but all around pretty good movie Expand
Movie1997Apr 13, 2013
I love a tremendous movie from disney that wasn't a part of Pixar, yet like "Tangled" it captivates the heart just like most Pixar movies. The movie really struck me with it's amazing anamation, along with bringing in some beloved games ofI love a tremendous movie from disney that wasn't a part of Pixar, yet like "Tangled" it captivates the heart just like most Pixar movies. The movie really struck me with it's amazing anamation, along with bringing in some beloved games of our time like "Pac-Man", "Sonic" and even "Mario", (I'm talking about Bowser). But never the less, it took me by surprise. As far as storytelling, it's seems typical, but once you start to go for the ride, your having a blast. Plus, the characters are really interesting and captivate your heart with great voiceovers such as John C. Reily, Jack McBryer, Sarah Silverman and even Jane Lynch. And at the end, you will have had a heart warming experience. Overall, it's a wondorous non Pixar movie. Expand
joeyriosApr 9, 2013
I've never seen such a big, bold, extremely original and intellectually smart film as "Wreck-It Ralph". Truly lovable to its highest peak, it will not leave you unsatisfied! It's the meca of how quality animated films should be made. TrustI've never seen such a big, bold, extremely original and intellectually smart film as "Wreck-It Ralph". Truly lovable to its highest peak, it will not leave you unsatisfied! It's the meca of how quality animated films should be made. Trust me, instead of looking for the next action-packed flick, detour for a minute and devour this movie to pieces, just to have all its meaning into you. The greatest animated Pixar movie I've ever seen! Expand
AthanasiosTMar 30, 2013
As an old gamer, I really liked the respect this movie payed to all forgotten games out there So, if you know what Qbert is, go see the movie without further delay As for me, I have to remember where my ZX Spectrum is
VonSeuxMar 24, 2013
Nicest video-game movie ever made. Just don't forget it's a kids movie.All nods to classic games are fantastic, still, the story stands on it's own. Get your kids to it!
SolidWeaselMGSMar 23, 2013
I actually expected less, maybe 7/10. But THIS movie is one of the best animated movies of 2013 (in where I live) and of all time. It's so good, I am wondering why people HATE IT?!? I tell you, it's no mixed bag, it's a Pick n Mix.
mrniceMar 20, 2013
If you have any interest in video games (especially Mario Kart, modern shooters, arcade games) this movie has several concepts and ideas that are imaginative and intelligent. The middle of the movie is standard kid friendlyIf you have any interest in video games (especially Mario Kart, modern shooters, arcade games) this movie has several concepts and ideas that are imaginative and intelligent. The middle of the movie is standard kid friendly action-blockbuster, but the setup is unique, along with some intelligent crossover effects from video games into the realm of animation. I found the voice of the little girl a bit distracting because it sounds like a grown-up impersonating a child, but it's well done, so, non-issue really. Then there's the exclusion of many game genres. RPGs, platformers, point'n'click, strategy, puzzle etc... which would in different ways broaden the scope of the sometimes repetitive use of gokarts. Also, there's not much to take from the movie into the real world. It's in that way stuck between useful exposition of interactive media, and a useless entertainment flick. Very well made, very well thought out. But the direction it takes suffers the same premise as video games: often it's about entertainment and forgetting the bigger themes in life. In these times, we are hard pressed to face real issues and focus culture towards a discussion of those problems, ideas and technologies. For example, what if the movie inspired kids to code? I'm afraid they'll be more inclined to draw and play than to 'get' the importance of words and the ability to code useful tools. I liked that the king was able to 'code' his way out of a problem, but mostly it was about racing a gokart. Distraction or purely fun? Maybe both? Expand
BrianMcCriticMar 10, 2013
Wreck-it Ralph is the best animated film since Toy Story 3. All the characters in this film help to create a story that could become a very nice franchise.
BKMMar 9, 2013
Far more than just a loving homage to old school video games, Wreck-It Ralph is a joyous, funny, smart and touching story about being comfortable in your own skin. It's lesson may be older than the numerous video games that are referencedFar more than just a loving homage to old school video games, Wreck-It Ralph is a joyous, funny, smart and touching story about being comfortable in your own skin. It's lesson may be older than the numerous video games that are referenced throughout, but it is a lesson that still resonates and is worth repeating. Expand
WarHero373Mar 7, 2013
Wreck it Ralph is a rather fresh and new style of movie. It has the feel of a pixar film, but in a few ways could even be better. I am looking forward to Wreck it Ralph 2 to see what they can come up with next.
GlooneMar 6, 2013
It's all right. It's tightly plotted, for sure. But I think it was really let down on the comedy side... I didn't really laugh at all, in fact. The script is functional but it just doesn't shine. And I can't help but feel that spending prettyIt's all right. It's tightly plotted, for sure. But I think it was really let down on the comedy side... I didn't really laugh at all, in fact. The script is functional but it just doesn't shine. And I can't help but feel that spending pretty much all of the film in a nondescript candy land was a waste of potential when there was a whole arcade to explore. The visuals and animation are generally rather lovely, though. Expand
hoops2448Mar 2, 2013
Video game adaptations are always terrible, from Doom (only memorable for its 2 minute FPS sequence) to the god awful Max Payne (unlike Doom it has no redeeming features at all). This simple fact meant I wasn't looking forward to Wreck itVideo game adaptations are always terrible, from Doom (only memorable for its 2 minute FPS sequence) to the god awful Max Payne (unlike Doom it has no redeeming features at all). This simple fact meant I wasn't looking forward to Wreck it Ralph at all. The film follows Wreck it Ralph (John C Reilly), the main villain in the game Fix it Felix Jr, a game where Ralph feels nothing but under appreciated. Because of this he decides to game jump and in search of more pixilated pastures. This brings hum to a game called Sugar Rush where he meets Penelope (Sarah Silverman), a young girl with problems that he decides to help due to their similarities. Meanwhile Felix searches for Ralph to get him to return to the game so it doesn't get unplugged for good. The film cleverly creates a world of games instead of concentrating on just one. This is how Wreck it Ralph manages to avoid the curse of the video game adaptation. It manages to be original while referencing old games in passing. The film acts as an homage, not just to retro games but the culture of gaming in general making for a very moving and culturally relevant film that will resonate with kids, adults and even the more hardcore gamers. It's story is well constructed as it establishes a world with endless franchise possibilities but it also creates a genuine conflict and risk for these characters making their journey throughout the film quite tense at times. The adventures they go on are dangerous and because of this they are thrilling. The film does drag in its opening 30 minutes but so did the first Toy Story, its a film creating a world from scratch and ultimately you have to give it the time to do so. The film however does lack a decent villain with its ending suffering in some ways because of it but as a problem it is only a subtle one. The film engages with the viewer through Ralph, who is a thoroughly empathetic lead and incredibly entertaining in both his clumsiness and his heart. The father daughter relationship between him and Penelope is the heart and soul of the picture and makes for an emotional finale even though there is no real tense climax. Ultimately its a film that works because of how clever it is and how good a lead character Ralph is. John C Reilly is a dynamic lead and gives Ralph an everyman kind of quality that makes it easy to like him. It's a Disney film with the heart and power of a Pixar movie and after 2010's Tangled it bodes well for Disney animations in general. Expand