Wristcutters: A Love Story

7.4

1. Feb 3, 2012
    Don't let the title of this movie give you the wrong idea, I'll agree with anyone that says it was a bad move on the developer's part. It makes this film seem like some dry, sad, and depressing film, when it's the complete opposite. What I like about this movie is the uniqueness, when I first started watching I was iffy as to the turn out, but I quickly thought, "what an interestingDon't let the title of this movie give you the wrong idea, I'll agree with anyone that says it was a bad move on the developer's part. It makes this film seem like some dry, sad, and depressing film, when it's the complete opposite. What I like about this movie is the uniqueness, when I first started watching I was iffy as to the turn out, but I quickly thought, "what an interesting twist!" Somehow, this movie accomplishes making death nothing to be afraid of, and actually quite humorous and casual. I would be giving this movie a higher score if the effects weren't so below par. Which doesn't matter much, considering the rest of the movie is great, but the effects are just dreadful in my opinion. However the acting is refreshing. It's not particularly "incredible," but it's better than overacting, and better than completely inexperienced actors. It's right in between, with a little uniqueness, just like the plot of this movie. I thought the black hole in Eugene's car was a little silly, and completely unnecessary, I didn't get the meaning of it, it just seemed random and unneeded. And another attempt at bad effects. But despite those few set backs, if you're looking for a different movie, that I guarantee you have never seen anything like before, watch Wristcutters: A Love Story. ||Breakdown:||Specific Grade: 83%||Acting: 21/30||Effects: 14/20||Plot: 19/20||Sounds: 14/15||Worth Time: 15/15|| Collapse
  2. ColeT
    Jun 14, 2009
    One of my favorite road trip movies. I also like it because I get to see Will Arnett play a person very similar to his Arrested Development character.
  3. SteveE
    Dec 7, 2008
    Considering the fact that this movie was made in a few weeks, the director got sterling performances from all of the principals. The basic theme is that even in purgatory people are just wandering around without knowing what they want or what to do with themselves. I didn't think the premise of the movie was a "conceit," because it served this message. A thoroughly enjoyable movie, Considering the fact that this movie was made in a few weeks, the director got sterling performances from all of the principals. The basic theme is that even in purgatory people are just wandering around without knowing what they want or what to do with themselves. I didn't think the premise of the movie was a "conceit," because it served this message. A thoroughly enjoyable movie, and it even has Tom Waits in it. Expand
  4. MM
    Jul 20, 2008
    A nicely designed film that captured my cynical attention and held it for the duration of the film. Great soundtrack, competent actors and winning performances, all kept together through cohesive direction, result in a high caliber movie. While I agree that the climax was a little thin, the movie still gets a big thumbs up.
  5. NickM
    Jul 16, 2008
    Its certainly one of the most original movies that i have seen in a while.....it wasn't necessarily a huge laugh out loud type of comedy, but it had some good comical parts to it....overall i found it to be very enjoyable, with a rather unpredictable ending.....i thought that the acting in it was very well done also.
  6. RonaldoDeV
    Jul 3, 2008
    This is one movie where I could have "offed" myself while watching.
  7. NalinX
    Apr 19, 2008
    This is a wonderfully pleasant movie about a generally unpleasant subject. The "love story" bit is nothing special. The special thing about this movie - is how the light-humour on an otherwise dark subject - makes for good story-telling. And like most good movies of our times, this one has suffiecient fantastic elements. Watch out for the hole in the car... I like it.
  8. ChrisK.
    Apr 2, 2008
    Something different from the same rehashed movies that keep coming out. An interesting look at life, death, and love. The love story the develops wasn't even half bad!
  9. ChadS.
    Mar 28, 2008
    A crappy title can hamper a film's chances for success. "Wristcutters: A Love Story" is a crappy title. That's the name of the backstory. "Road to Nowhere" would be more befitting. Cue David Byrne. Where Zia(Patrick Fugit) ends up isn't purgatory. The portable black hole in Eugene's car rules out that Christian notion. This diegesis is godless. Zia and Eugene(Shea A crappy title can hamper a film's chances for success. "Wristcutters: A Love Story" is a crappy title. That's the name of the backstory. "Road to Nowhere" would be more befitting. Cue David Byrne. Where Zia(Patrick Fugit) ends up isn't purgatory. The portable black hole in Eugene's car rules out that Christian notion. This diegesis is godless. Zia and Eugene(Shea Wingham) help their travelling companion Mikahl(Shannyn Sossamon) find the "people in charge", not Charles in charge, or God in charge. There's a messiah(Will Arnett), however, a cult leader with a God complex, whose followers can't take a hint. And then there's Kneller(Tom Waits), one of the people in charge. His control over life and death makes him god-like, but the miracles he perform are secular-based. If there's no hell, there can't be a heaven either, according to "Wristcutters: A Love Story", the ineptly named, but intriguing road movie that blasphemes the written word with great subtlety and wit. Expand
  10. BrandonJ
    Mar 24, 2008
    One of my favorite films of last year. Fugit is really starting to come into his own, as is Sossamon. Good acting + great premise = above average dark romcom.
  11. JayH.
    Mar 19, 2008
    Certainly off beat, as well as creative. Fascinating as well as frustrating at times, the cast is terrific. Very watchable and you have to admire the fact that the filmmakers are trying something different, even if it doesn't always work.
  12. JasonL.
    Jan 13, 2008
    There have been some great movies lurking around lately. This is one of them. A guy searches a strange land for his dead girlfriend. This is a touching, funny and bizarre road trip movie with a fantastic soundtrack. I watched this and realised that not every movie from America is bad, just most.
  13. LaurenH.
    Dec 2, 2007
    a delightful movie that was surprisingly funny and incredibly original, one of the best of the year
  14. ChrisP.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Certainly an unconventional flim that has a lot more going for it than most mainstream romantic comedies. If you're in the mood for something smart, witty, and refreshingly cool, this film delivers
  15. S.T.
    Nov 15, 2007
    Predictably a new cult classic. I can't wait to watch this one again.
  16. KenG.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Tedious, and (considering its premise) unimagative, and uninspired. Not to mention male lead's performance is rather stiff (and I doubt it's because he's playing a dead guy. I just think it's because he's not very good).
  17. HannahF.
    Nov 7, 2007
    Great film! Original and witty.
  18. NaomiM.
    Nov 3, 2007
    Not a perfect film, but still a lovely one. it was surprisingly funny and very enjoyable.
  19. KevinR
    Oct 24, 2007
    A decent movie that despite good performances and a good script just seems to move at an awkward pace.
  20. JoeB.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Very original, atmospheric, surreal and funny with a great trio of lead actors, including Patrick Fugit, and awesome surprises from Tom Waits and Will Arnett.

1. Quite a bit darker than most mainstream romantic comedies. As you might not expect, it’s also quite a bit more inventive and far wittier than most mainstream romantic comedies.
  2. Seems to me, teenage suicide isn't that funny, and nothing in this movie changed my mind.
  3. This delightful piece of whimsy uses its simple premise effectively to gain and keep our attention and to remind us simply that, while this world appears ordinary, it is still unbounded by reality.