5.8

1. JasonG
    May 28, 2005
    In a harsh light, this is basically a revamped and updated Godzilla... call it version 2.0 or taking a cue from the film's title, perhaps version 13.0? That said, it is pretty decently handled although some story aspects leave something to be desired.
  2. Matt
    Feb 19, 2003
    I saw this film last year at an anime festival and thought it was great – the animation was atmospheric and beautifully done and the character-driven story was compelling. I don't why Metacritic gave it such a low score - the potted review summaries from most of the critics seem to be quite favourable. Anyway, if you're an anime fan I reckon this film is definitely worth seeing.
  3. JonL.
    Mar 17, 2003
    Although I admit this movie is boring, but it does keep you think for a while after watching, just like the other 2 Patlabor movies.

1. While sci-fi conceits still permeate the plot (alien DNA, rogue scientists), attention to personal detail float world-weary, superbly-drawn protagonists in a rare movie-a character-driven animated film.
    Where the too-rarefied style and the too-simple substance meet, a compromise is reached, and something uniquely haunting is formed.
    Lacks excitement, although its solid story makes for decent viewing.