8.3

1. May 23, 2014
    With such abundance of talents, it's a surprise their powers are not throwing award statues at each other. An all-star ensemble delivers one of the better and more captivating superhero movie in recent time, despite the use of a rather mystifying time travel plot. They do a remarkable job of keeping the audience invested to the characters, each with brimming personality to ensure there'sWith such abundance of talents, it's a surprise their powers are not throwing award statues at each other. An all-star ensemble delivers one of the better and more captivating superhero movie in recent time, despite the use of a rather mystifying time travel plot. They do a remarkable job of keeping the audience invested to the characters, each with brimming personality to ensure there's never a dull moment. Visually, the movie is captivating, its contrast tone bridges the colorful 70s and severely bleak future impeccably. It also appropriately utilizes good humor throughout the seemingly melancholy plot.

X-Men: Days of Future Past is an ambitious movie, it brings the newer cast from First Class as well as the older trilogy, plus Hugh Jackman. The time traveling gimmick could be a puzzling one, and in some occasions there are tricky twists that rely on heavy expositions. However, the movie pulls it off quite neatly with balanced pacing. The complexity doesn't divert the focus away from relationship of characters, most of which are always in peril. Many of the cast are capable to lead a movie by their own, but the movie doesn't feel bloated because they are so many involved. Director Bryan Singer cleverly seams the characters' tales together; the present chemistry produces engaging interaction between them.

The bulk of the story occurs in 1973, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence take most of the spotlight. They perform admirably, each showcasing emotional baggage and entwined history together. Hugh Jackman fits into the party fairly well, he has been Wolverine for so long, he just naturally meshes together with the younger X-Men. Peter Dinklage provides a unique antagonist. X-Men movies are notoriously filled with military men as villains, it's nice to see someone more dynamic and with less reliance to violence.

Effects are done beautifully. The future battles are spectacular, not to mention the choreography gracefully combines the mutants' power into the fray. I personally like the intricacy of Blink's ability which allows her to use multiple portals. Her scenes are few, but very well done. The slow motion effect looks wonderful and melee combat is performed effectively, especially Mystique's acrobatic dances. There's lingering retro ambiance for 70s, a simple touch of familiarity. One minor blemish is the lighting for future setting might be a tad too dark at times to fully appreciate the graphic.

The prevalent flaw of time travel gimmick is the impact actions supposedly have on the future, this movie is no exception. There are a few instances where characters act rather brashly just in case it may hopefully change the future, a couple decisions are questionable as well, it's hard to believe experienced mutants with special powers would do impulsive action. It also tries to add prejudice theme, but seeing Jennifer Lawrence, even with blue skin, having self-confident issue is like seeing a supermodel complaining she's fat. All the flaws are just little hindrance, they barely affect the gripping performance of the talents.

X-Men: Days of Future Past is arguably the best of the franchise, it will entertain viewers with exquisite acting, finely pace story and delightfully likeable characters.
  2. May 23, 2014
    This is the best X-Men movie so far, the story is great, the cast is incredible, the action scenes are amazing. This movie exceeded my expectations and I'm sure it will surprise you from the beginning to the end... and, I have a new favorite movie now...
  3. May 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am not all that familiar with X-Men, but this movie was AWESOME! I really liked the time element to it and the best part of the movie is when young Xavier meets old Xavier through Wolverine's head. The action was great, the ending had sort of an Inception feel to it, with multiple climaxes going on at once. My only gripe was that they tried to tie in the Kennedy assassination and the Cuban Missile Crisis into X-Men lore. I found that to be a little cheesy. The sentinels were awesome to watch, and the movie is polished, fun, and entertaining. 9/10 Expand
  4. Jun 1, 2014
    As a huge x-men fan growing up, I liked this movie a lot; however, I didn't think it was AS great as people are proclaiming it to be. It's a good story, but it could be difficult for younger viewers to follow. Also, the movie does deviate from the source material quote a bit, but that's not a big deal.
    Also worth nothing is that there really isn't that much action in it. That's not to say that the lack of action makes it any less of a movie, but it's just something to note before going into watching this movie.
    Overall, this is a really good movie.
  5. May 30, 2014
    The Great: My favorite part of the film is the speed mutant. It was just so cool to watch him in action. But if he had stuck around for the rest of the film, it would be too easy.

Great ending as well - we get to see all the changes in the timeline, and showing Jean and Scott as a small tribute and connection to the original X-men trilogy was nice. But most importantly, the older timeline is still remembered by Logan; so the previous timeline we saw still holds some meaning.

The good: Great humor - especially with Wolverine. Great action. The young versions of the heroes were handled very well - like making Young Charles a drunk / druggie, so he has something to overcome if he wants to save the mutants. They did a good job with building the characters of the three key heroes - Mystique, Xavier, and Magneto. The chemistry between Fassbender and McAvoy was great just like in "X-men: First Class", and I liked how even though they reconcile, Magneto still decides to do things his own way and act as the villain.

The bad: very formulaic story with tons of exposition. Like Young Charles not wanting to help Logan and then agreeing after a 10 second shot of Raven's picture. Or the X-men in real time being attacked right when Logan is about to succeed in his mission. The plot was incredibly predictable and everything is done by the Hollywood formula. Also, some of the character decisions (primarily Magneto) were pretty stupid - if he had just talked to Mystique after they stopped the assassination, there would be no point for the escalation that followed.

Overall though a very solid entry in the superhero genre and the X-men series.
  6. May 24, 2014
    Marvel, man. They have been on a roll! They are pumping out movies nonstop, and in return, money is raining on their heads. Heck, they're now the highest grossing movie franchise EVER now! However, all this doesn't mean that they rush their movies, nor do they act like they just want money for their movies. They put such care and attention into their films for all their devoted fans.Marvel, man. They have been on a roll! They are pumping out movies nonstop, and in return, money is raining on their heads. Heck, they're now the highest grossing movie franchise EVER now! However, all this doesn't mean that they rush their movies, nor do they act like they just want money for their movies. They put such care and attention into their films for all their devoted fans. Guess what? X-Men Days of Future Past is just like the other Marvel films in terms of quality, if not better! At the core of every Marvel movie, their true genre is action. One-on-one fight scenes with hero and villain, countless numbers of structures falling down, explosions (not to a Michael Bay degree though), it's awesome action. So of course, DoFP has amazing action with all the X-Men. I loved seeing their mutant powers come to life and then watching in awe as they kicked ass. Speaking of the characters and their powers, all of them are truly brought to life. While the acting is nothing revolutionary, everybody still does a fine job. I especially liked Michael Fassbender's performance as Magneto. He really acts like a menace sometimes (which he will do more than often in the movie), and there's not a better pick for a character that's supposed to be cruel than him. The title of the movie gives you some hints about the storyline, right? Well, what happens is that the world is getting eaten up by the Sentinels, and they are still trying to kill every mutant they can find. The X-Men soon figure out someone must go into the past with Kitty's powers to change what happened. I will not lie, you will have to pay attention most of the time. It wasn't a problem for me, though. While it's not the most original Marvel storyline you've ever heard, it's still interesting enough to keep you entertained. In terms of flaws, I really couldn't detect any. Does that mean it's a 10 out of 10 masterpiece (12 Years a Slave is considered that score imo)? No. Yet still, DoFP is still gonna be one of best Marvel movies you've seen. All these positives really add up into being a great time at the movies. It's worth it. GO SEE IT! Expand
  7. May 26, 2014
    Uh 10 out of 10. I loved it so much. Would see again. But not immediately. As the theatre manager got mad at me for **** on this girl's chest when she said she didn't like Wolverine's bare ass.
  8. May 24, 2014
    Brilliant. The masterpiece of the X-Men saga. Clever, funny and captivating. A message to Disney: Be inspired by that movie for the next movies... REALLY. Only one negative point: the absence of Anna Paquin.
  9. Oct 3, 2014
    Fantastic film, I really enjoyed First Class and was eager to see the sequel as soon as it ended. I'm not a huge X-Men fan, and haven't really followed it that much in terms of comics and its previous films. I have seen X-men 1, 2 and 3. But I haven't seen the Wolverine films.

Days of Future Past is very entertaining throughout the entire film, very well done and enjoyable. Although the storyline isn't complex the action is where the heart of the film is, and I enjoyed every second of the film.
  10. Jun 23, 2014
    The best superhero movie I've seen; a true masterwork. This is one of the best movies I've ever seen. It is incredibly well written, and acted. The ideas are fascinating and thought provoking. It is, believe it or not, a rather deep movie. It is one of the few 'deep' movies to give a very positive and truly constructive message, but in a way that is believable and heartfelt.
  11. Nov 26, 2014
    By far the most compelling entry in the X-Men movie series so far. The focus is less on action and focuses more on the plot and characters. I have to say it's nice to see some X-Men other than Wolverine get some time in the spotlight. There's a grand spectacle to it all and plenty of dazzling special effects.

It tries to straighten out some of the wrinkles in the series convoluted

It tries to straighten out some of the wrinkles in the series convoluted timeline. In some ways it succeeds, but it the end it just adds a few more to keep things confusing when trying to see the big picture this movie universe has tied together. There are also some unanswered questions that are way too big to ignore, but the movie does it anyway. We are never told how Magneto got his powers back or how the heck Charles Xavier is even alive. They are some big flaws with the story of this movie, and the X-Men movie universe as a whole. However I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the movie anyway.

I guess by now I learned to accept the movies take on the fiction is flawed, and that the only way to fix it would be to reboot the series on the big screen. The writers try to set things right without a reboot, but instead all they do is chalk it up to time travel and ignore some glaring questions. Oh well, we just have to accept it.

However with this movie being so darn good, and the promise of excellent things on the horizon (stay until the end of the credits), it's not hard to do that. It's an awesome movie that does things no other superhero movie has tried yet, and the future of the X-Men movies has never looked brighter. I highly recommend it to all comic book fans.
  12. Oct 4, 2014
    I would have given a 11 for this, but since the score goes up to 10, that's what I went with. I ony can describe this film in one word: Terrific. I was never really a huge X-Men fan, but because the acting, story and pacing were all well done, it might make me watch the ones that I haven't watched, then re-watch the whole series ready for Apocalypse in 2016.
  13. May 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Marvel is really on top of their film game, with a great Captain America, a decent Spiderman, and now a truly excellent X-Men, all in the same few months. And if you think about it, they are veritably ruling the film world. Look at the ensemble of actors in this movie. Where other than a Robert Altman movie are you going to find a cast of people together like Ian McKellan, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Jennifer Lawrence, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Ellen Page - the list goes on and on. What's more remarkable is that this cast works deftly together in a film that could have been a sloppy disaster. Time-travel movies when done right are some of the most intriguing movies ever - but if done wrong, they are excruciating. Luckily, Days of Future Past gets it all right, and the only drawback is all the expository, supporting dialogue the audience must therefore endure along the way in order to understand it. The bad guys in this movie are truly bad. If the Sentinels show up, they are going to kill you, and this is established right away in one of the most exciting superhero/villain fight scenes in any comic book movie to date. Seeing Colossus become full metal at the same time Sunspot flames on at the same time Iceman (finally) goes and stays full Iceman - a very cool moment. Unfortunately even these powerhouses are no match for the Sentinels. The only option is for newly-introduced (but now regular X-Man) Blink to keep them moving around until Shadowcat (with a future developed time/spirit manipulation power) can send newly-introduced Bishop just far enough into the past to warn the team that the Sentinels are approaching - so they can not be there when the Sents arrive. This is layer one. Layer two then is this first group combining efforts with the other group (Storm, Wolverine, Prof. X, Magneto) to send someone way back in time to before the Sentinels were even created. This task falls to Wolverine and off he goes into the second layer (the 1970s, pre-Sentinels) in an effort to stop Mystique from.... wow. The more I write the more I realize how convoluted this plot is. It's like trying to explain to a non-viewer what's going on in Game of Thrones. Pretty soon you just throw your hands up and say, "You know what? Just watch it!" And so that's what I'll do. What works in this film is the excellent acting, the dark plot, the nearly-full roster of Superheroes, and the best scene in an X-Men movie since Nightcrawler's debut in X2 (hint: Quicksilver, and anyone dealing with a Quicksilver or Flash-type character in the future must now contend with this scene setting a certain bar for excellence). There are a few disappointments. Anna Paquin will show up as Rogue for a second at the end, and I understand her deleted scene(s) will make it onto a DVD/Bluray version. But for this primary showing, she's notably and confusingly completely absent. The action scenes in this movie range from the terrifying Sentinel attacks to the now-typical "huge Magneto scene" - this time with him moving an entire sports stadium, to a lot of smaller scenes spread throughout - and they all work. The special effects are fantastic and nothing feels gratuitous (except when they are going for 100% gratuitous, as in the Quicksilver scene). The story holds together and the dialogue, while mostly expository, is good. It's my personal favorite of the series so far (you might be surprised to know that The Last Stand was my favorite until now - typically the one everyone hates - but I'm a sucker for new heroes and villains showing up, and X3 brought a lot of new faces into the series - even if Juggernaut was a huge letdown - the Phoenix climax was epic). Days of Future Past ups the ante on everything and makes me hungry for the next installment. I think they're being smart with this series - phasing some actors out and others in - because this bodes well for this being a series with a real lifespan well beyond where we're at now. If you're new to the series, by all means don't start with this one. Start at the beginning. But if you're already an X-Fan, you're most likely going to love this movie. Expand
  14. May 25, 2014
    Terrific movie. One of the best superhero movies I've seen. The cast was excellent and the story was good. That acting was terrific and it has one of my favorite scenes in a superhero movie. I know why they changed the story to suit Wolverines needs as the "main character" for the X-men movies but I would have liked to see them keep the old DoFP storyline intact. However, this movie didTerrific movie. One of the best superhero movies I've seen. The cast was excellent and the story was good. That acting was terrific and it has one of my favorite scenes in a superhero movie. I know why they changed the story to suit Wolverines needs as the "main character" for the X-men movies but I would have liked to see them keep the old DoFP storyline intact. However, this movie did make up for the change in story pretty well and I give them credit for what they did. This is easily the best X-men movie they've made and probably the best superhero movie I've ever seen. Can't recommend it enough. Expand
  15. May 27, 2014
    Even better than its already impressive predecessor, Days of Future Past is definitely Singer in top form - whether its the deft handling of the ensemble cast, sleek visuals or inherently humane story. Definitely the most fun I've had at the movies in a long, long time.
  16. Nov 17, 2014
    I was impressed considering these type of movies are not up my alley. The action was consistently engaging and innovative. The story doesn't get weirdly obscure like other similar movies.
  17. Jun 22, 2014
    X-Men: Days of Future Past is the best X-Men movie ever. It's big, original and has purpose. It clears the past mistakes of the franchise by promising us a brighter future. The broad cast is as good as they've always been. Unlike, this year's Godzilla, marketing of this movie promised a great movie and it matched its expectations.
  18. Jul 2, 2014
    Stellar cast! Very interesting plot, though I wonder if they'll be continuing with this changed timeline or if this was a one-off. As is the norm nowadays, the special effects and visuals are amazing. Turned out better than I anticipated. A good X-Men movie.
  19. Oct 20, 2014
    This movie was made out of pure excellence. The movie is by far one of the best x-men movies in the franchise. Bryan really did an amazing job with this movie. The acting is really great but my one complaint is that Ian McKellen didn't get much too say in this movie, just a few sentences. However looking past that I don't see more mistakes with it. I am probably gonna re-watch this movieThis movie was made out of pure excellence. The movie is by far one of the best x-men movies in the franchise. Bryan really did an amazing job with this movie. The acting is really great but my one complaint is that Ian McKellen didn't get much too say in this movie, just a few sentences. However looking past that I don't see more mistakes with it. I am probably gonna re-watch this movie again soon. I recommend this movie to anyone even if your not a huge X-men fan. Expand
  20. Jun 4, 2014
    great movie with fantastic plot and innovation of storytelling, also the act of Jennifer Jackman and James are amazing, and the graphic is much better than previous, awesome Marvel movie.
  21. Jun 12, 2014
    Great movie in almost every aspect they did!

Great movie in almost every aspect they did!

The story is very smart (specially for a time travel movie), acting is good, actions scenes are well shoot and the writing is pretty good has well, dialogue feels natural... there is plenty of things to appreciate in terms of production, like the make-up for Raven/Mystique, the effects for the action scenes and the scale of what's at stake carries a weight that does convince the audience.

Maybe the action was less impressive than in other X-Men movies, I don't know what fans think of this but judging by the response everybody seem to be happy with the end result and so am I; I recommend this one if you want a good super-hero movie.
  22. Sep 19, 2014
    Great movie, decent story, good acting all around. Was very fun and entertaining. Would be nice if the next one has humans and mutants united fighting some other threat because as much as I liked it this human vs mutant struggle is getting stale.
  23. Jun 6, 2014
    I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a big fan of the X-Men series. This film though is an exception. It has an incredible cast of actors, from up-and-comers like Omar Sy and James McAvoy to veterans like Patrick Stewart or Sir Ian McKellen. The film also a great balance between political intrigue and fun superhero action. That is why I believe this is not only the best superhero film ofI'll be the first to admit, I'm not a big fan of the X-Men series. This film though is an exception. It has an incredible cast of actors, from up-and-comers like Omar Sy and James McAvoy to veterans like Patrick Stewart or Sir Ian McKellen. The film also a great balance between political intrigue and fun superhero action. That is why I believe this is not only the best superhero film of all time, but also one of the best political thrillers of all time. I give Days Of Future Past a 9 out of 10 stars. Expand
  24. May 26, 2014
    If you've seen (most of) the other X-men movies, go see this. Lots of action, highly entertaining, great cast, and an exciting interweaving of franchise wide story lines. Of course, this is a broadly appealing X-men movie through and through -- don't expect any deviations from the usual feel and relatively generic script. It's a fun superhero flick but it's no Nolan's Batman.

If you've

If you've never seen any X-men movies, this probably isn't a great entry point to the franchise.
  25. Oct 19, 2014
    X-Men: Days of Future Past is the best X-Men movie to date, and it totally broke my expectations!

This new X-Men movie is so incredible, there’s so much unique and awesome things that blew my mind of when I saw this film. The return of Brian Singer to the X-Men franchise totally is the reason why this movie is so great, which means that The Last Stand could have been great if he had direct it. Days of Future Past is one heck of a movie, and I never got bored because it’s so damn well made and entertaining! The opening scene is incredible, and both the CGI and the actors are all superb.

X-Men: Days of Future Past is the best sci-fi movie of the year (to date), and one important aspect is the awesome soundtrack from John Ottman, truly a wonderful soundtrack! The best thing is of course the story, they are changing the past for a better future, and the result of that is so great, because we don’t know how much have changed after the events in DoFP! That’s why I can’t wait until the next X-Men film! There are some downsides like vague CGI at some places, and it got a bit confusing with the time travel, but it’s still an awesome movie!

This is one of the best films of 2014!

X-Men: Days of Future Past get a 9/10
  26. Jun 7, 2014
    I am an avid watcher of all the X-Men films. I grew up watching the first three and my love for them has retained through to my twenties. Without being too verbose, the film has a stunning cast who deliver with every scene. I enjoyed the story immensely; from the dialogue to the gripping action scenes. Definitely my favourite film in the franchise. I've seen it three times in the cinemaI am an avid watcher of all the X-Men films. I grew up watching the first three and my love for them has retained through to my twenties. Without being too verbose, the film has a stunning cast who deliver with every scene. I enjoyed the story immensely; from the dialogue to the gripping action scenes. Definitely my favourite film in the franchise. I've seen it three times in the cinema and have no doubt I'll see it a fourth! A wonderful, exhilarating watch. Go and see it! Now! Expand
  27. Jun 1, 2014
    Easily surpasses First Class and several of the other X-Men sequels and spinoffs to become one of the best entries yet! The whole cast from both the past and the present settings all gather together and no one disappoints to say the least. The action is better than ever and the story is engaging. The only thing I was a little bit lost on was the post-credits scene. Overall, I couldn't haveEasily surpasses First Class and several of the other X-Men sequels and spinoffs to become one of the best entries yet! The whole cast from both the past and the present settings all gather together and no one disappoints to say the least. The action is better than ever and the story is engaging. The only thing I was a little bit lost on was the post-credits scene. Overall, I couldn't have asked for a better X-Men movie! Expand
  28. Jul 21, 2014
    This is the best X-men movie so far, action was great the story was ok, it felt a bit slow at times though. It brings back Professor X from the dead with no explanation, but you cant go wrong with Jackman as Wolverine. 7/10
  29. May 28, 2014
    Eventhough there's a bit poor and unsatisfactory on its visual effects, but with a fascinating concept. a success of combining part of previous X-Men's franchise and long list of star, X-Men : Days of Future Past easily becomes one of the best film in 2014 so far (but not the best).
  30. May 31, 2014
    Days of Future Past is excellent. Yes, you can have those issues important things that fail to explain, but it's a very good film, how good are the settings, situations, psychology of the characters, that entertains you and leaves you amazed. It is a very entertaining movie, for me is a little better than First Class ... This film is the best so far of Superheroes in the remainder of theDays of Future Past is excellent. Yes, you can have those issues important things that fail to explain, but it's a very good film, how good are the settings, situations, psychology of the characters, that entertains you and leaves you amazed. It is a very entertaining movie, for me is a little better than First Class ... This film is the best so far of Superheroes in the remainder of the year, yes, it's even better than Captain America 2.
    You will enjoy the same as me, only if you were the previous films, but may not understand a ****
    My rating: 9.5/10
  31. May 30, 2014
    --If you liked this review, please read my other ones and mark this review as helpful--

As with The Amazing Spider-Man 2, X-Men Days of Future Past is a turning point for the franchise. Make it or break it, go big or go home. Fox is heavily investing in this film to launch a number of spin-offs and sequels. This film is certainly ambitious: it's trying to fix all the continuity errors off the previous films, trying to bring back fans, and trying to make a bigger box office than the previous movies. Does it suceed?

Online, some have commented that the rights to the X-Men should go back to Marvel. After X-Men 3: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, many have lost faith in the franchise and the box office hasn't really improved, unfortunately. However, this movie redeems everyone and everything involved.

The director, Bryan Singer, manages to balance pretty well two large super-powered casts of mutants from two different time periods. Most of the characters get their moments and their share of screen time. Sure, characters like Rogue, Kitty Pryde, Iceman, Bishop, Colossus, Quicksilver, Blink, Sunspot, Storm, Warpath, Havok, Toad and Ink (those last two names and their characters are funny) don't get more than a few lines, have only a few minutes of screen time, and often have to share the spotlight. However, they each have a purpose, however minimal it may be. Quicksilver is a great, funny, and entertaining character. His one action sequence was awesome, and I can't wait to see him return in X-Men Apocalypse. (Looks like DC's Flash and Disney's MCU Quicksilver have some competition!)

Some of these--admittedly underused--characters have scenes that reportedly will be on the DVD version, others have signed multiple-picture deals or will appear in later movies. So this won't be the last we'll see of them.

Some say Wolverine is in the X-Men movies too much. But the thing is he is the most recognizable, familiar, well-known, and arguably liked mutant of all the X-Men. In this movie, he isn't really the protagonist. Sure, he's the one that goes back in time. But here he gives the reins to a younger Charles Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique. In DOFP, Wolverine is more wiser, a mentor to his own mentor from the past. James McAvoy does a great job of making Professor X more relatable as a person. In the original trilogy, he was a bit unreachable. He was always the one with the answers and the steady hands. Here, he has lost almost everything and is at a low point in his life. That makes him a more relatable character. Magneto is as menacing and misguided as always, and Michael Fassbender does a great job. J.Law as Mystique--I honestly feel she needed a bit more emotion. No offense Jennifer Lawrence. (Maybe playing Katniss Everdeen too much has affected her? Mostly though she did fine.)

Bolivar Trask is a morally grey character. He isn't a cardboard cutout villain, he's doing what he believes is necessary. He's a nice antagonist, and Peter Dinklage proves that height and size don't really matter when playing a role. Acting does. The Sentinels--I have mixed feelings about them. I guess the design could've been better. They weren't horrible in my opinion, but they weren't really good either. They were OK.

The plot is a complex one. Not really confusing, just complex. It's a story of misunderstandings, hatred, and vengeance. But it's also one of forgiveness, team-work, and hope against seemingly insurmountable odds. It isn't your average superhero movie story.

In my honest opinion, this is as good a team-up as The Avengers, if not better. The entire cast is great. The story is compelling and engaging. The CGI and special effects were great, even better than those displayed in the initial trailers and TV spots. I hope this does financially well, because 20th Century Fox and the X-Men deserve a break! I cannot wait for X-Men Apocalypse!
  32. Sep 14, 2014
    X-Men: Days of Future Past is a terrific example of how a superhero movie SHOULD be made. From its terrific dialogue to its amazingly charismatic cast members, DOFP is one of the very best comic book movies ever created.
  33. May 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Full review @ http://www.idiotbox.co.uk/x-men-days-of-future-past-review-60051/

There has always been a theme of genocide and persecution that has run through the X-Men series but it has always been quite subtle and only ever really spoken about when Magneto goes on one of his rants about humanity. Days of Future Past is very different and does not have time for subtlety, as soon as the movie kicks off you are shown an incredibly dystopian future where mutants and the humans who dared to help them are herded up and executed by the dozen and the X-Men themselves have been reduced to nothing more that freedom fighters with no real hope of survival. It’s very dark and some of the scenes look like something that wouldn’t be out of place in Terminator Franchise, it’s certainly not something you would expect from the X-Men.

With the fact that they are fighting a force that they have no hope of possibly defeating they decide that the only option is to send someone’s consciousness back in time to the 70′s to stop the Sentinel program from ever being created, the only one who would survive such a journey is Wolverine so that’s exactly what happens. The plot of DOFP is set just over 10 years after the events of First Class. The Vietnam war is in full effect but drawing to a close, Magneto is locked away in a bunker for a pretty serious crime, and Charles Xavier has become a recluse and hides away in his mansion with Hank McCoy. Xavier is now a broken man and it’s a real testament to James McAvoy’s acting that you feel his pain and even though you know that he needs to man up and get on with it you understand why he feels that he can’t.

The mutant roster is largely based around the mutants we already know from the previous movies in the series but there are some new ones thrown into the mix as well. Most of the new additions are from the future (present?) and the scenes of them fighting off the Sentinels are some of the best action scenes of the entire series in terms of scope as you get to see them all using their powers as a team to try and prolong their lives a little while longer, these scenes are badass, there is no other work to suitably describe them. The only new mutant that we are really introduced to in the past is Quicksilver (played by Evan Peters), he is single-handed responsible for one of the highlights of humour through the entire movie. His mutation is that he can move at super-speeds and normally, you would just see him running as a blur but there is one particular scene where you get to see everything at his pace and it is pure genius!

Thankfully the writers seem to have listened to the feedback of X-Men fans and they have looked at the issues that were lingering in the series and they have addressed almost every single one of them! This is something I was not expecting to see and it is something I am very grateful for indeed. The time-travelling aspect of the movie kind of renders most of what has happened in X-Men 1, 2, and 3 kind of obsolete and it is left somewhat unclear as to what has or hasn’t happened in the current time-line. This isn’t a bad thing at all and if anything it sets up a nice blank canvas for the next movie.

Verdict:

Days of Future Past is, hands down, the best movie in the X-Men series to date. Including both the cast of the original movies and First Class was of course risky because it means there is a lot of different people to keep track of, both familiar and new. This decision is definitely one that has paid off as you are left with a movie that has a story to tell and tell it well is does!! Also seeing both the old and new Xavier face-to-face is definitely something special.

P.S. Make sure you stay until the very end of the credits!
  34. May 26, 2014
    This is the best X-men movie till now, it takes a great and entertaining turn, with an interesting mind blender plot, that will make you be at the edge of your seat until the movie finishes.
  35. May 25, 2014
    The Best X-MEN Movie !!!
    The action scenes are epic and memorable. With great performances, Incredible special effects and a Spectacular script !!!
    X-men is the best marvel movie forever!
  36. Dec 2, 2014
    If you read my review for Thor: The Dark World, it has the same good stuff. It wasn't confusing. It was too long. The latest x-men movie is a not so much movie. Skip it or not. replay value:Moderate.
  37. Jun 20, 2014
    this movie has great story great cast and great action everthing is right with the movie so i will wait to see it in blu-ray 1080p cant w8 D x-men day of future past
  38. May 28, 2014
    Yes, the best X-men movie yet. Everything about this movie was great. I saw it in a sold out theater so I had to sit really close to the screen but I still really enjoyed it. The action scenes were amazing with some great special effects. The storyline was also great it got confusing near the very end which is awesome leading into the next movie. The finale scene of the movie and the afterYes, the best X-men movie yet. Everything about this movie was great. I saw it in a sold out theater so I had to sit really close to the screen but I still really enjoyed it. The action scenes were amazing with some great special effects. The storyline was also great it got confusing near the very end which is awesome leading into the next movie. The finale scene of the movie and the after credit scene were both really good and it makes me excited and happy for the next X-men movie in the great franchise. Expand
  39. May 31, 2014
    The movie is incredibly sexy especially with Hugh Jackman and Jeniffer Lawrence showing off their bodies in ways kids wouldn't understand. If you think about the plot... Don't even start thinking about it. It's mindblowing since it used the element of time. The movie has a good mix of drama and action, just what I would expect from Bryan Singer, the director of the Xmen movies. For MarvelThe movie is incredibly sexy especially with Hugh Jackman and Jeniffer Lawrence showing off their bodies in ways kids wouldn't understand. If you think about the plot... Don't even start thinking about it. It's mindblowing since it used the element of time. The movie has a good mix of drama and action, just what I would expect from Bryan Singer, the director of the Xmen movies. For Marvel fans out there this movie is a ****
    Overall, it was a great movie for everyone especially the kiddies who enjoy action (just guide them correctly when they start seeing fleshy bodies).
  40. May 31, 2014
    I want to say before I write this review that I loved X-Men First Class and I enjoyed X-Men the Last Stand, so this movie is something I've been hyped for, since it was announced.

As a movie, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a great X-Men movie. However, I did not like the continuity in this movie as opposed to other movies, which is why I gave it a 9 out of 10. Also, I felt that the Quicksilver scene was a bit unnecessary. Ultimately, even though there are not as many action scenes as I would have though, the story was amazing. I also love James McAvoy as Professor X. I think he does it pretty well. I'm excited for the new movie.
  41. May 27, 2014
    It was a great film, the story line was a little confusing towards the end in my opinion, but overall a really good film, the action scenes were top notch, and they couldn't of been any better. i did feel they left some things unexplained, (once again in my opinion). if they explained things a bit more then it would of gotten a 10 from me, but overall still a really good film, go and see it.
  42. May 25, 2014
    This X-men movie is the best in the franchise, and I can't wait to see the next installment! The characters are many, and so nice and well written, the story is engrossing and complex, the special effects are gorgeous, especially some of the future X-men powers, and the ending is awesome!

In my opinion, it is the best Marvel movie so far, closely followed by the latest Captain America. Bryan Singer really gets how to make a great X-men movie that stays true to the characters. It's really a hell of a ride. You should watch it!
  43. May 26, 2014
    This is the best X-Men movie. Great history to reboot the franchise. Amazing Action Scenes, great history.... great characters. My favorite X-Men movie ever.
  44. May 26, 2014
    DoFP was an amazing movie. It will definitely be put down as one of the best super hero movies. By far better than all other X-Men movies including First Class. This movie is a must see in theatres. But, I recommend catching up on past X-Men movies if you haven't or else the plot could be confusing. DoFP was exciting, funny at the right moments, and had the right amount of action all superDoFP was an amazing movie. It will definitely be put down as one of the best super hero movies. By far better than all other X-Men movies including First Class. This movie is a must see in theatres. But, I recommend catching up on past X-Men movies if you haven't or else the plot could be confusing. DoFP was exciting, funny at the right moments, and had the right amount of action all super hero movies should have. Go see it in theatres before it's to late! I know I'm going back! Expand
  45. May 26, 2014
    By far the best X-Men movie with smart plot, genius story lines to tie up loose ends! Love, love, love it! And of course, Mystic, was AMAZING! Biting my nails and covering my eyes with suspenseful thrill! Fun, fun!
  46. May 27, 2014
    A rich movie that was astonishing and exciting almost every second, the diversity of characters and actors were gladly received. i love how this movie closes discrepancies between the previous movies and at the time is like an spin off. Great dialogue, but im not giving a 10 because where a movie shines its not if it had the best cgi or effects, but in the plot, the history twist very badA rich movie that was astonishing and exciting almost every second, the diversity of characters and actors were gladly received. i love how this movie closes discrepancies between the previous movies and at the time is like an spin off. Great dialogue, but im not giving a 10 because where a movie shines its not if it had the best cgi or effects, but in the plot, the history twist very bad and may seem confuse at first, but don't get me wrong i'll go to watch it again. Expand
  47. May 27, 2014
    Just went to see this on Friday and I have to say this is by far the best X-men movie made so far. Despite there are some loopholes in the storyline, like changing the past will change the future, you actually feel a sign of relief and grief at then end. Acting are perfect for most of the characters though minor characters need to be shaped up a bit. Both the old and young Magneto andJust went to see this on Friday and I have to say this is by far the best X-men movie made so far. Despite there are some loopholes in the storyline, like changing the past will change the future, you actually feel a sign of relief and grief at then end. Acting are perfect for most of the characters though minor characters need to be shaped up a bit. Both the old and young Magneto and Xavier did awesome job. Overall, definitely recommend this over Cap. America or Spider-man Expand
  48. May 28, 2014
    An amazing move for fans of the series! Combines the X-Men we all love with a cool time traveling twist! I also loved all the little Easter eggs they put into the movie for fans of the comics! A must see movie!
  49. May 28, 2014
    This X-Men movie took the elements of all the past movies, failures and successes, and delivered a truly enjoyable experience. While some parts of the movie were a tad repetitive I still enjoyed the movie very much. We finally were able to see all of the characters actually use their powers! Not filled with so much dialogue, but an even balance of action and story. Go see this movie ifThis X-Men movie took the elements of all the past movies, failures and successes, and delivered a truly enjoyable experience. While some parts of the movie were a tad repetitive I still enjoyed the movie very much. We finally were able to see all of the characters actually use their powers! Not filled with so much dialogue, but an even balance of action and story. Go see this movie if you're an action film lover... Expand
  50. May 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. see here the best of them all this one is the most epic movie throughout the series download the movie from here http://goo.gl/nd32l4.
    I also have one question if professor x died in the sequel how is he reincarnated ??
  51. Jun 3, 2014
    Metascore shows 84, you have got to be kidding me! This movie made over 90 million opening weekend. The plot - awesome, acting - awesome, special effects - awesome. In the words of Jeremy Johns (not sure about spelling) AWESOMETACULAR!
  52. Jun 5, 2014
    Esse filme simplesmente superou qualquer expectativa, foi muito mais do que o imaginado, simplesmente épico. Vejo uma trama totalmente mais envolvente do que a feita em "Os Vingadores", da rival Disney. Estava muito preocupado com essa produção e fiquei mais ainda quando foi anunciado o próximo filme "Apocalipse", porem já estou tranquilizado e estou ansioso para o ano de 2016 (além doEsse filme simplesmente superou qualquer expectativa, foi muito mais do que o imaginado, simplesmente épico. Vejo uma trama totalmente mais envolvente do que a feita em "Os Vingadores", da rival Disney. Estava muito preocupado com essa produção e fiquei mais ainda quando foi anunciado o próximo filme "Apocalipse", porem já estou tranquilizado e estou ansioso para o ano de 2016 (além do novo filme dos x-men, terá grandes outros de super-heróis que iram estrear, como "Batman x Superman: Down of Justice", "Captain American 3" e outros mais!

Resumindo: O melhor filme já feito baseado em super-heróis de HQ's, renovador e totalmente épico, mas deveria ter mais hora para recolocar os furos dos filmes passados.
  53. Jun 7, 2014
    I enjoyed this one just as much as X-Men: First Class. If you liked the first one, you won't be disappointed. All around great writing, directing, and acting.
  54. Jun 20, 2014
    I really liked this film. The plot got me infested. I was into the characters. Wolverine was a great and had some awesome lines and fights. The Professor X older character was good I guess. The same can't be said for his younger self. He looks like one people who drives on he road for years and never cuts his hair. And I thought it's weird he has long hair in the past. Peter Dinklege wasI really liked this film. The plot got me infested. I was into the characters. Wolverine was a great and had some awesome lines and fights. The Professor X older character was good I guess. The same can't be said for his younger self. He looks like one people who drives on he road for years and never cuts his hair. And I thought it's weird he has long hair in the past. Peter Dinklege was the best actor in the movie with him fitting the role nicely. The final fight was epic without spoiling it, I'll say it's awesome. Mystique was a good character for the first half, been the creative with her disguises and development. 2nd half she was a little lacking she was a little annoying as well but not enough to make her bad. The visual effects are so realistic. I honestly thought the moment with Wolverine time travel the effects were good there. Seeing this movie in Real 3D was interesting the 3D effects weren't milked like in Gravity or The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I went in to this movie excited which is strange for me sine I've never watched a X-Men movie (and I will watch them all soon) I was so surprised to that this movie win me over is great. I really loved this movie and if I would I would watch it again in theaters. I recommend this to any fan of X-Men. Expand
  55. Jun 22, 2014
    One of the best movies in the genre released this year. Possibly, one of the best in the series. This movie will not disappoint people who loves suspense, a great story line, and to have a whole lot of fun and enjoyment. Bryan Singer has done an amazing work in directing again, combining the action, the story, and the mix of emotions very effectively.

For people criticizing the elements

For people criticizing the elements of the film such as not having enough action, no recap or story-telling of past events, and some characters such as wolverine not having enough "importance" in the story, you need to consider trying to change your perspective and how you look at the movie. Singer has tried to go back to comic style story telling. No recap of the origin and past events, unless the audience have watched the previous movies. Although, the movie is still greatly enjoyable and the stories can still be put together even though previous parts haven't been watched. That makes X-Men: Days of Future past have great originality and has been a great fluid addition to the story. The story also adds great originality. This has been the first X-Men movie in the series to add the element of time travel.

The acting is very well polished and greatly executed by excellent actors such as Jennifer Lawrence, Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, and Ian McKellen. Since the story is focused on going back in time, the movie will be focused more on the "past" selves of the characters. Everyone has an important role in this movie. If someone was missing, it won't probably be this good.

The amount of "fighting" that occurs can't really tell if a movie will be good. The focus of this movie is to stop a scientist from being killed, and a whole lot of suspense has been used to make the audience wonder of what the heroes would do, and what choices they would make. Singer focuses more on the story than the action in this movie.

Overall, X-Men: Days of Future Past has been a great addition to the series and every element of this movie has been greatly polished. The acting is marvelous, the visuals were perfect, and the story was pulling everyone in. All the expectations have been met.
  56. Jul 1, 2014
    Of all the X-Men movies this was by far the best. It does so well to bring a bridge between the X-Men trilogy and First Class that it seems almost as if the two are all one and the same (If that makes sense). It delivers all the things you can come to expect from an X-Men movie and it executes those moments nearly perfectly.

The downsides are major but forgivable. For one thing, there

The downsides are major but forgivable. For one thing, there is some chronological overlapping within this and Origins, but that's probably to forget that that movie ever existed. So yeah, there are inconsistencies and plot holes but what are you going to do about it?

The film is overall well rounded and worthy of being part of the cinematic X-Men pantheon.
  57. Jul 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Michael fassbender(magneto)...james mcavoy (professor) gives the emotional TOUCH...wolverine(hugh jackman) balances The story...mystique(jennifer lawrence) Keeps the story moving...Quicksilver PRISON BREAK 1 OF THE BEST SCENE IN THE MOVIE(THE MOST TALKED)....other mutants impress us with their HEROIC fights...1st half is full of fights n action...2nd half drama...music n vfx is big plus.... worth the check...Best x-men part so far.. SATISFIED very much... must watch movie for x-men fans.. DIR.Bryan Singer Had done a great job..he has lead x-men to a new dimension...erasing the previous parts n its flaws making this franchise nearly flawless.....as the events are changed(the past)....and bryan made the audience Lead to high expectations fr X-MEN:APOCALYPSE..will he deliver???? Expand
  58. Jul 10, 2014
    This is the best X-Men Movie and the best comic book movie in this year. Incredible Action scenes, good acting, dialogues. The Story is very good, interesting, thrilling.
  59. R18
    Jul 13, 2014
    X-Men: Days Of Future Past is vibrant and entertaining movie, The effects are incredible and X-Men: Days Of Future Past has found the right balance, i'm excited for X-Men: Apocalypse (2016).
  60. Jul 15, 2014
    My favorite films of this summer so far. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and lets see if Guardians of the Galaxy is gonna be a good movie, i'm excited to see Guardians of the Galaxy this August.
  61. Jul 16, 2014
    This movie and X-Men 2 are my my favorite movies Its better then X-Men 3, this movie was AWESOME!! SUPERB!! , the story and great acting easily the best X-Men film since X2.
  62. Jul 17, 2014
    Movie of this year, Interstellar . Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Guardians of the Galaxy. X-Men: Days of Future Past, Cant wait for Apocalypse. the cast is incredible in X-Men: Days of Future Past
  63. Sep 18, 2014
    Marvel appears to be at the top of their game after another installment of the X-Men series. This film may not only be the best of the series but perhaps the best Marvel film to date. Bryan Singer did a tremendous job returning to the series and manages to send the viewer back in forth to different time frames without any confusion. Hugh Jackman is fantastic as Wolverine as always, but IMarvel appears to be at the top of their game after another installment of the X-Men series. This film may not only be the best of the series but perhaps the best Marvel film to date. Bryan Singer did a tremendous job returning to the series and manages to send the viewer back in forth to different time frames without any confusion. Hugh Jackman is fantastic as Wolverine as always, but I found that James McAvoy stole the show as the young Charles Xavier. Michael Fassenbender was extraordinary as well. Both of these men are great actors and are very underrated at this point in their careers. Days of Future Past is a must see for any Marvel fan. The world is now open to any possibility in the sequel Apocalypse. I'm looking forward to it. Expand
  64. Nov 10, 2014
  65. Aug 23, 2014
    Really, "Days of the Future Past" is nothing new or that exiting. The film follows the same recycled plot (Humans vs. mutants) that all the "X-Men" movies do. I wouldn't say it's a bad movie, because you still get your summer popcorn fun from it, but I wouldn't brag about it either.
  66. Sep 26, 2014
    I'm glad to return to the history of the trilogy. I like to see Storm back in action. Hugh Jackman is amazing as always. The finally made me cry for joy.
  67. Sep 28, 2014
    This is, my a fair margin, the best x-men movie made yet. Combining all eras and casts (albeit not always equally), mixing heavy-hearted moments with an intensity and desire to see the unexpected that is rare noadays, this movie combines so many elements with an articulate finesse.
  68. Dec 21, 2014
    X-Men Days of future past is the best X-Men Movies so far.Bryan Singers is back to play with his toys and make a good film out of it tat many of us enjoy watching it.X-Men Days Of Future Past is a great movie to watch.
  69. May 23, 2014
    Only the Dark Knight surpasses this film in the genre. From beginning to the scene after the credits (it is after the full credits, by the way) Days of Future Past does not disappoint as an epic and satisfying conclusion to the earlier films, while setting up lots of new drama and intrigue for the next films. Almost all of the performances were completely spot on with particularly goodOnly the Dark Knight surpasses this film in the genre. From beginning to the scene after the credits (it is after the full credits, by the way) Days of Future Past does not disappoint as an epic and satisfying conclusion to the earlier films, while setting up lots of new drama and intrigue for the next films. Almost all of the performances were completely spot on with particularly good performances from Evan Peters (Quicksilver), Fassbender (Magneto) and both versions of Charles Xavier. In addition, the action was well orchestrated and creative with more than enough drama and power behind it.

I look forward to any number of sequels, in particular with what they hinted at for the next film.
  70. May 30, 2014
    Despite its weak human villain (Trask), this move is complex, quickly paced & fun and X-Men: Days of Future Past ranks amongst the best of the X-Men franchise. 8.5/10
  71. May 24, 2014
    I have nothing more to say than pure awesomeness! it was definitely the best movie i 've seen this year. I might even say it was the best marvel movie. the actors were great and i loved that it combined the cast from the trilogy and from the first class. some might say the plot was a bit confusing but i think that it was what it made this movie special. i couldn't ask for anything betterI have nothing more to say than pure awesomeness! it was definitely the best movie i 've seen this year. I might even say it was the best marvel movie. the actors were great and i loved that it combined the cast from the trilogy and from the first class. some might say the plot was a bit confusing but i think that it was what it made this movie special. i couldn't ask for anything better from x-men. i highly recommend it. if you love fantasy movies don't even think about it just watch it! Expand
  72. May 24, 2014
    One of the better comic book/super-hero movies this millennium at the least. Brilliantly ambitious and innovative plot line. Had me skeptical at first considering the 4 previous X-Men plus the 2 Wolverine movies had their own plot elements that had to be accounted for, but they were incorporated spectacularly. Great action scenes, well rendered CGI while not being too dominating andOne of the better comic book/super-hero movies this millennium at the least. Brilliantly ambitious and innovative plot line. Had me skeptical at first considering the 4 previous X-Men plus the 2 Wolverine movies had their own plot elements that had to be accounted for, but they were incorporated spectacularly. Great action scenes, well rendered CGI while not being too dominating and disenfranchising. Great script and as per usual when you have Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart, phenomenal acting. Expand
  73. May 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The writers of this very exciting film were clearly BIG fans of the original Matrix, and, by extension, Plato's Cave. Beyond the obvious use of the name Sentinels, the future sequences were very similar to the out-of-the-matrix mothership, and the past sequences/locations were similar to the inside-the-matrix sequences. Not literally, but the sense of urgency and juxtaposition. See it and decide for yourself. Beyond that comparison, the acting in this film is superb. Best superhero flick of the summer - not a tough task. Expand
  74. Jun 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In every level this movie has been the most complete marvel movie ever if not the greatest: The scenario is saturated with events that does not seem to distract you away from the main plot, we have a justified and well portrayed villain (magneto) which is non-existant in the marvel universe (except loki who might and probably should be considered as an anti hero after thor 2). I also do not know any other marvel movie that keeps this many characters and does not give you the feeling of the movie is overcrowded with too many shallow characters. The movie is emotional; not in a very dramatic way but it is able capture its thematic emotion: "Hope" because you get to feel some of the characters' feelings of desperation and their path of self destruction, you also get to see that this may fail no matter what you do but at the end hope wins and you get to experience this effectively due to great performances of the main characters. Expand
  75. Jun 3, 2014
    Best X-men yet. An intriguing plot, likable characters, awesome action and a small dose of humor make this the best flick of the summer so far. The acting was terrific, with great performances from Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Hugh Jackman, Peter Dinklage and Evan Peters. Speaking of Peters, Quicksilver was a big surprise and the highlight of the movie, eliminating all earlierBest X-men yet. An intriguing plot, likable characters, awesome action and a small dose of humor make this the best flick of the summer so far. The acting was terrific, with great performances from Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Hugh Jackman, Peter Dinklage and Evan Peters. Speaking of Peters, Quicksilver was a big surprise and the highlight of the movie, eliminating all earlier complaints about his design. DOFP leaves a tough act to follow for the rest of the summer. Must-Watch Expand
  76. May 23, 2014
    The perfect summer blockbuster and the best x-men movie yet. I loved this movie and it is my favourite movie of the year so far. ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. YES IT IS THAT GOOD. 9.610.
  77. May 24, 2014
    I'm gonna start by saying that I'm not a huge X men fan but I am a big fan of Wolverine and Jennifer Lawrence's take on Raven, I've seen every X men movie now and I honestly thought this series wouldn't reach a level that would go higher then X2... but man was I wrong, this movie was excellent in every sense of the word, the pacing was perfect, there was a lot of comedic moments that II'm gonna start by saying that I'm not a huge X men fan but I am a big fan of Wolverine and Jennifer Lawrence's take on Raven, I've seen every X men movie now and I honestly thought this series wouldn't reach a level that would go higher then X2... but man was I wrong, this movie was excellent in every sense of the word, the pacing was perfect, there was a lot of comedic moments that I didn't expect, I will say that there's a sequence with Quick silver that's worth the ticket price alone, what surprised me the most however is that out of all X men / Wolverine movies this movie by far the least amount of action, proving that these Super hero movies don't need to be filled with wall to wall action to be an excellent Super hero movie, this wasn't just a good comic movie, it was an excellent movie... I've heard this said by a few reviewers but until I saw it I wasn't going to comment on it..."If this movie doesn't get a best picture nomination I will be appalled" I agree with that statement, giving this movie a 10 feels like an insult but since that the highest the scale goes it's a 10. Expand
  78. May 23, 2014
    Best X-men Movie Ever. It has everything. Just watch it. Great characters and the most intriguing plot. One of the best films of this year and surely the best Marvel film. Watch it !
  79. May 23, 2014
    No need to do pros/cons for this one I loved Days of Future Past! It is the perfect X-Men movie! Almost as good as First Class. Everyone in this movie put on a great performance, the action/set pieces were great, the story was done very well and that's saying something because it is a time travel movie, and a great underlying message of hope. Bryan Singer did a great job in his return backNo need to do pros/cons for this one I loved Days of Future Past! It is the perfect X-Men movie! Almost as good as First Class. Everyone in this movie put on a great performance, the action/set pieces were great, the story was done very well and that's saying something because it is a time travel movie, and a great underlying message of hope. Bryan Singer did a great job in his return back to the franchise, not sure if he'll ever do one again now, but if he does I'm eagerly awaiting the next instalment. Expand
  80. May 23, 2014
    This is the X-men movie that we've wanted since the beginning. The cast is absolutely perfect and the balance between the original cast and the first class cast is awesome. Intense action and emotional roller coaster. This movie basically rewrote all the wrongs of the first 3 films in a very tactful way. Can't wait until the next one.
  81. May 23, 2014
    X-Men: Days of Future Past is a very emotionally heavy movie, and I couldn't resist shedding a tear or two as I sat on the edge of my seat, wondering what would happen next, even though I read the comic before I went to the theatre.

Days of Future Past is superb in every way. The story is strong, the music fits the scenes, the cast is amazing, and all those wonderful Marvel jokes we never get tired of. I could write a lot, lot more, but I don't want to spoil it for you. So if you haven't seen it yet, WHAT are you waiting for? Buy a ticket, or tickets, and go watch the movie. You won't regret it!
  82. May 24, 2014
    This was a great movie overall, the setpieces and action scenes were very well done, the plot was well adapted from those comics it drew upon for inspiration, and it leaves off with a couple ideas left in my head as to where the series might go next without unbearable cliffhangers.

The acting was generally good, but Fassbender wasn't as magnetizing as he was in First Class. The dichotomy of past/future Magneto's actions was interesting enough to keep my mind off Fassbender's performance during the movie, though.

At the end, I was left excited for the next film, and hoping it is made as well or better than this one was!
  83. May 23, 2014
    It isn’t just the Xs and Os that make the film special; it’s also the film’s ambition, which cannot be understated. This film is being released in a post-Avengers world, where culmination is king (see DC/WB’s recent Justice League-related moves as evidence), and the X-Men franchise comes into this picture as considerably fractured. The original “modern day” team – Wolverine, Professor X,It isn’t just the Xs and Os that make the film special; it’s also the film’s ambition, which cannot be understated. This film is being released in a post-Avengers world, where culmination is king (see DC/WB’s recent Justice League-related moves as evidence), and the X-Men franchise comes into this picture as considerably fractured. The original “modern day” team – Wolverine, Professor X, Cyclops, Storm, etc. – petered out with the third entry, only Wolverine has had any success as a stand-alone spinoff, and the First Class “prequel” was immediately hailed as the best of the entire lot, leaving the original to be forgotten. Rather than reboot the whole shebang or focus on a specific First Class sequel, Singer instead doubles-down and incorporates old and new. Granted, he mitigates some risk by keeping the focus on only the best characters from the two worlds, but his faith in incorporating anyone from the old world other than Wolverine, and his willingness to cut bait on some of the lesser characters from the new world, speaks to his confidence as a filmmaker. Expand
  84. May 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With two teams joining together in a truly epic way, id say this is the best X-Men yet. It surprises me that the bar is still set at a reasonably reachable level. *SPOILER* Apocalypse will give Ultron & ALL OF DC a run for its money. The perfect set up for people to get interested in the next installment Expand
  85. May 29, 2014
    Great movie!!!! For the first time in a long time the odds really seem stacked against the heroes. Easily one of my favorite superhero movies to date. Quicksilver also makes an appearance and even though it is brief it was amazing an I want to see more. Overall XMDFP is an amazing movie!!
  86. Nov 16, 2014
    X-Men: Days of Future Past won't be remembered for being a bad film, it simply won't be remembered period. The movie doesn't offer much of anything that you can hate or love about it. Dull dialogue, no action and performances that were mediocre at best. It holds the title as the most forgettable movie this year.
  87. May 26, 2014
    This is probably the best X-men film to date. Finally the X-men franchise is living up to its potential. The plot is complex. Characters have agendas and motives that overlap or conflict at times and are authentic. It is an ensemble film where key characters are dynamic. At last what X-men should be.

The good. The plot within itself makes sense. Its really easy to mess that up in

The good.
    The plot within itself makes sense. Its really easy to mess that up in things involving time travel.
    The action sequences are pretty amazing. No one character is too powerful in comparison to others. The scenes set in the future manages to show a bleak abysmal world, but still evoke warmth between the onscreen characters. Including new characters you've never met who fit in seamlessly. And it adds to the rushed desperate feel of it. Scenes in the past manage to convey the feeling of the period aside just from a bunch of funky clothes. Characters are shown as fragile as well as being powerful.
    The bad.
    One apparent plot hole Charles Xavier is alive in this bleak future, yet when Wolverine is flashing back the rest of the dark phoenix ark from X3 clearly happened. One of the great things about this film is they get a chance to re-do that mess. I feel like they should have gone one way or the other on that. Or come up with a workaround. Things don't have to have happened exactly as we saw in X-3. In this future they obviously didn't. Maybe a deleted scene will explain it.
    Similarly as warm and re-assuring as it is to see the original X1 cast at the end of the film, it would have been a golden opportunity to re-cast a character or two as I hope they do going forward.
    Also, and I found this rather weird, Jennifer Lawrence emotes more and has more texture when she is Mystique. When you see her without all the blue makeup her face looks a tad airbrushed and she is not very expressive. I really do not know how they managed that one.
    Also anyone who is expecting anything more than a bit part from Storm. Sorry. Not in this movie.
    The verdict. At last we have moved past the period where creating a superhero movie meant cramming it up the wazoo with special effects. They should try to tell the best story they can, and add effects to heighten the experience. That is what this film does.
    It also gets a bonus point for giving them the ability to reboot the franchise to a higher expectation going forward.
  88. May 24, 2014
    Easily the best "X-Men" film since Singer's original attempts, "X-Men: Days Of Future Past" features a challengingly novel narrative structure, intensely engaging set pieces, and a bevy of memorable moments of pathos. And, although the film leaves many questions and thread left to be resolved, it still represents a magnificently satisfying return to form for one of cinema's first superheroEasily the best "X-Men" film since Singer's original attempts, "X-Men: Days Of Future Past" features a challengingly novel narrative structure, intensely engaging set pieces, and a bevy of memorable moments of pathos. And, although the film leaves many questions and thread left to be resolved, it still represents a magnificently satisfying return to form for one of cinema's first superhero franchises. Expand
  89. May 25, 2014
    Being the oldest superhero franchise,the xmen series had a few flaws in some of its previous films but Singer was able to bring back the X-men grove and earn redemption in the latest instalment of the series.Totally satisfying and immensely Awesome
  90. May 25, 2014
    Brian Singer brings X-Men back to the glory of when it was fully under his helm. This is taken from one of the better X-Men story lines. It's not the greatest action film, nor the greatest sic-fi film, nor the greatest comic book film. But' it's still excellent in all three categories.

I do not recommend to those who aren't already X-fans. I don't think it's accessible unless you already know and like the X-Men universe to some degree, at least. But the film fully delivers to those of us who are fans. For us, this is a great summer movie.
  91. May 27, 2014
    With a clever plot and a brilliant cast and we'll laid sequences x men days of future past is one of the best instalments in the franchise the actors are on there game they all know there role like the back of there hand even so after 14 years for some put they keep it fresh you also get more Jennifer Lawrence as mystique and a very unexpected ending x men fans will enjoy.
  92. Jun 3, 2014
    The biggest problem for me is probably because I came to see the movie with such high expectation that it was going to blow my mind and replace X2: X-Men United as my favorite installment of the franchise. The movie is still decent, and I love the story telling because it's pretty solid. However, while the scene from the future is very exciting with all the mutant fights, the past deliversThe biggest problem for me is probably because I came to see the movie with such high expectation that it was going to blow my mind and replace X2: X-Men United as my favorite installment of the franchise. The movie is still decent, and I love the story telling because it's pretty solid. However, while the scene from the future is very exciting with all the mutant fights, the past delivers too much of the drama and less the action. My favorite thing of Days of Future Past is, just like everyone else, the fresh portrayal of Quiksilver by Evan Peters. He's a very potential star and I'll still be waiting very enthusiastically for Apocalypse. Though I do have to say it has failed to hold its position on my favorite summer movie this year. Expand
  93. May 26, 2014
    x-men days of future past is an amazing addition to a great series,director Bryan Singer returns as the triumphant director of X1 and X2,and what we get is an inrcredibly human,terrificly acted and brilliantly shot story,that just confuses quite a lot for the people that have seen all previous films including the prequels.

The performances were excellent from everyone ,yes some do get

The performances were excellent from everyone ,yes some do get more screentime than others,but they are also so well developed and heartful,that it's hard not to feel attached to these characters,wolverine is again great ,Hugh Jackman really nails his role ,i can't think of anyone else that will do it better than him,James Mcavoy and Michael Fassbender deliver their best performances as proffesor x and magneto,Jennifer Lawrence as mystique was incredible,Evan Peters who plays quicksilver is absolutely awesome,even though he's got few scenes in the movie he completely steals the show in them.It's a great ensemble that goes from small characters to big ones ,but it constantly manages to make them more and more apealing and relevant to the story.The story itself is really good,if not a little bit complex and illogical which is unfortunately it's only weakness,see the story is handled extremely well ,the general feel ,the mood ,the atmosphere,the characters,time-travel element is handled mostly well,and i say mostly only because the events that happen here don't really make sense to the other films ,without spoiling anything expect to be asking questions left and right and getting really twisted about how certain things work out and how they fit into the general story of x-men.

What Bryan Singer doesn't completely nail in his story department ,he does in action ,needless to say it's intense,suspensful ,badass,spectacular and even horrifying at times.The stand out scene for me was quicksilver set piece ,remember matrix's introduction to the groundbreaking slo-mo bullet time ,well this movie takes that onto a WHOOOOLLLE new level,involbing quicksilver running at a killer speed in slow motion dodging bullets ,hitting guards,climbing on walls,in a beatifully ,visually and choreographically stunning set piece that will blow your mind,accompanied by some great music by Jim Croce,the rest of the action is just as good if not a bit repetitive,if this movie would solely be judged by the action i'd say it delivers and then some.

The movie is a wild ,emotional ride ,that is done with a huge respect to the franchise,further develops characters and gives our eyes a true eye-candy,it's one of the best films of this year,it's definetely worth watching and even if it does confuse a little with it's time-travel structure,it still remains my second favorite x-men movie to date,right after first class.
  94. Jun 6, 2014
    actually, this movie was quite different then before, this movie has breathtaking graphic and the story line is not bad enough, the acting of actor and actress was good and marvelous, the action is very good too thought, this movie was the best of the year for me, I like this
  95. May 28, 2014
    Director - Bryan Singer

Starring - Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen X-Men is the oldest franchise that Marvel currently have in their ever expanding film universe. However it has been surpassed by the Avengers, both in their stand alone films and the juggernaut that was Avengers Assemble. Then Matthew Vaughn's prequel,
    Director - Bryan Singer

X-Men is the oldest franchise that Marvel currently have in their ever expanding film universe. However it has been surpassed by the Avengers, both in their stand alone films and the juggernaut that was Avengers Assemble. Then Matthew Vaughn's prequel, X-Men: First Class (2011) shot some much needed life back into the series and things started to look up. But could the franchise keep it up?

Now Bryan Singer, director of the first two mutant films, is back and has the mammoth task of combining both sets of actors and giving us a film more credible and entertaining than the dismal X-Men: Last Stand (2006).

Without giving too much away, the plot revolves around Magneto and Professor X (McKellen and Stewart) sending Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) back in time to 1973 to see... Magneto and Professor X (Fassbender and McAvoy). Their mission is to change history and prevent the war that will wipe out mutant kind. And thus we go from old cast to new.

James McAvoy plays a broken Charles Xavier with raw anger and sadness, far removed from the all-knowing calm figure of Stewart. He is a joy to watch as he struggles with his power.

Fassbender is also a wonder, never overplaying a role that could have led to scenery chewing of the highest order. The chemistry between both actors is amazing, I just wish they had more time together.

Jennifer Lawrence has made the role of Mystique/Raven her own (Rebecca who??) She is sexy, sassy and focused but has not yet grown into her evil persona of the original films, which means we can truly love her (for now anyway).

And onto Jackman. You just have to look at the posters to see he is supposed to be the star of the film and there is no denying that he has been consistently good even as the films diminished in quality. While he does play an important role in the plot, he sometimes acts as merely a foil for the new cast but what a foil he is.

Special mention goes to Nicholas Hoult's Beast who has grown as a character even if his screen time isn't extensive.

I couldn't write a review without mentioning Quicksilver. I admit that when I first read about the character being included I was sceptical. I truly believed that Singer only did it to piss off Whedon and the folks at the new Avengers film. But Evan Peters is a blast as the super speedy mutant who, despite his limited screen time, makes every scene he's in his own. His performance is an obvious contrast to the serious portrayal that Aaron Taylor Johnson will probably give in Age of Ultron (if the mid-credit scene in Captain America: The Winter Soldier is anything to go by). Also, there is a cheeky little nod to his parentage; brought a smile to my face.

The film itself is well paced... action and emotion in equal balance. The 131 minute run time passes by without feeling like it is starting to lag.

The mixture of high quality digital and grainy 1970s film is used to great effect.

As with most Marvel films, stay until the end of the credits for a peak into what lies ahead for X-Men.

There are a few niggles I have (at the beginning of the film Wolverine's claws are back to being made from adamantium which pretty much negates anything that happened in The Wolverine) but for the most part Singer brings back the familiar and fans can feel safe in his capable hands.
  96. May 25, 2014
    Just got back from watching X-Men: DOFP. Very entertaining with some great (and not so great) effects; but with some very sincere moments of character development, specially with Prof. X. All the acting was top-notch as you would expect. However, there were some (major) characters who hardly got a word in at all. One major character was just seen in the hallway at the end and anotherJust got back from watching X-Men: DOFP. Very entertaining with some great (and not so great) effects; but with some very sincere moments of character development, specially with Prof. X. All the acting was top-notch as you would expect. However, there were some (major) characters who hardly got a word in at all. One major character was just seen in the hallway at the end and another (future-version) major character wasn't seen at all (If Magneto got his power back after X-Men: Last Stand, didn't she?). Characters we did get to see and actually have some lines, were great. New characters (for the movie series) were awesome: Quicksilver!

As with all time-traveling-based stories, it's always a challenge to pull it off "realistically". X-Men: DOFP did so splendidly and with heart. Nice story, indeed. Again, some very deep moments. The effects were top-notch in most of the scenes... but a few, well, had less time spent on them (ie: the fall out of the window).

Very enjoyable, smart superhero movie for summer. Go see it!
  97. May 29, 2014
    A thoughtful, well-crafted, highly metaphorical action adventure film that doesn't rely on special effects alone to carry its story. An excellent ensemble cast, terrific visuals and ample wit make this a crowd-pleasing blockbuster that provides plenty of food for thought as well.
  98. May 26, 2014
    In order to garner full value of this movie, it is critical one has seen the prior X-men movies. Initially, I did not have high expectations for, yet another sequel. I thought, how could they possibly improve on the prior films? Well, they did it... The story, plot and special effects are exceptional. This movie not only plays on the various attributes of the favorite X-men characters, butIn order to garner full value of this movie, it is critical one has seen the prior X-men movies. Initially, I did not have high expectations for, yet another sequel. I thought, how could they possibly improve on the prior films? Well, they did it... The story, plot and special effects are exceptional. This movie not only plays on the various attributes of the favorite X-men characters, but adds a few new wrinkles to the saga, as well as, provides sub-textual life lessons. This is a must see movie and I highly recommend the 3D version. I reserve the rating of 10 for those few "epic" films, therefore; I rate this particular movie a 9 and save the rating of 10 for the entire series. Go see this movie... Expand
  99. May 24, 2014
    I watched the movie with a bad expectation about it, but that Xmovie surprised me, was not that tiring sequence as Xmen3 or XmenOriginsWolverine. It flows as well as drawings and comics. Regarding the storyline, is at the level of Captain America 2.
  100. May 27, 2014
    Easily the greatest X-Men movie ever created in the history of ever. It blew minds. Go see it. Literally the best one released so far. Honestly, this is probably the best that super-hero movies are ever going to get to. The last superhero movie that I saw that I thought was this good was Spiderman 2 with Tobey Maguire (and can't forget that Willem Dafoe cameo) and X-Men blows that movieEasily the greatest X-Men movie ever created in the history of ever. It blew minds. Go see it. Literally the best one released so far. Honestly, this is probably the best that super-hero movies are ever going to get to. The last superhero movie that I saw that I thought was this good was Spiderman 2 with Tobey Maguire (and can't forget that Willem Dafoe cameo) and X-Men blows that movie out of the water. I've seen it four times already, and I'm ready for a fifth. Seriously, no movie has had me this engaged. Michael Fassbender as Magneto and Patrick Stewart as Professer X had the greatest bromance since Brokeback Mountain, and it had me sobbing in the theatre, along with those next to me. You can't remember a greater post-credits clip than the one schwarma scene in the Avengers, and this movie annihilates that one. You gotta wait till the end of the credits. Words cannot express how much this movie means to me, and how much it has affected me in the days after I experienced the beauty that is X-Men: Days of Future Past. Go see it, and don't forget the Kleenex and Vaseline. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    May 23, 2014
    Ambitious, even audacious, the movie's mix of action and for-devotees-only intrigue can overwhelm, but there are moments of sheer virtuosity, too.
    He’s (Singer) reborn — deft, elegant, spring-heeled — in X-Men: Days of Future Past. The special effects don’t bog him down: They lift the movie to a surreal and more emotional dimension.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 22, 2014
    I couldn’t follow many of the ins and outs of the time-travel scenario, and I’m not altogether sure that the filmmakers could, either. It doesn’t really matter. It’s enough that the movie is fun. We shouldn’t also expect it to make sense.