8.3

1. May 23, 2014
    Don't understand all the praise for this dull, almost lifeless film. It gets a 2 from me because of an awesome sequence involving a mutant(Quicksilver) with super speed. It seems all the thought and energy were put into this scene, and it does pay off 200%. All the other actors seem to be showing up to pick up a paycheck, and moving along as fast as possible. I love Jennifer Lawrence, butDon't understand all the praise for this dull, almost lifeless film. It gets a 2 from me because of an awesome sequence involving a mutant(Quicksilver) with super speed. It seems all the thought and energy were put into this scene, and it does pay off 200%. All the other actors seem to be showing up to pick up a paycheck, and moving along as fast as possible. I love Jennifer Lawrence, but she even seems to be going through the paces. What a disappointment :( Expand
  2. May 23, 2014
    When does a ‘special effect’ stop being special? The first time Jennifer Lawrence as a blue lady, “X-MEN: DAY OF FUTURE PAST”, turns into a male soldier it is a special effect and then when she turns into a beautiful woman it is special but the twentieth time she morphs into another person it isn’t special anymore.

When Hugh Jackman steps out of bed and shows full male back nudity that

When Hugh Jackman steps out of bed and shows full male back nudity that is special and may have an effect on the audience but it happens only one time making it a ‘special effect’. Michael Fassbinder, who hasn’t been shy when it comes to full frontal nudity in other films, stays dressed in this one and the first time he puts on his helmet and suspends everyone, and everything, in the air it is a special effect but the 4th or 5th it is a “So what?” Are Jackman’s ‘nails’ surprising anymore?

Is it surprising that the White House takes a battering or panes of glass of are smashed robot like transformers walk around killing people? I didn’t think so. How many mutant X-Men and X-Women are too many? Or do you just stop talking after Wolverine (Jackman), Mystique (Lawrence), Kitty Pryde (Ellen Page), Iceman (Shawn Ashmore), Storm (Halle Berry) Magneto (Ian McKellan future, Fassbender past) Professor X (Patrick Stewart Future, James McAvoy past), Blink (Fan Bingbing), Beast (Nicholas Hoult), Quicksilver (Evan Peters), Rogue (Anna Paquin) or the 50th X-Men or is it when you suspect Richard Nixon (Mark Camacho) might be a mutant?

There are as many story lines (screenplay by Simon Kinberg, story by Jane Goldman, Mattew Vaughn and Kinberg) as there are X-Men, X-Women and mutants but all are easy to follow, if you are interested in following any of them. Director Bryan Singer keeps the 2 hour, 11 minute movie going at a fast pace with all the special effects.

It is easy to see that paying the extra dollars to see it at IMAX and 3 D would probably be worth the money but, as far as I am concerned, this is my last foray into Marvel comic movies and other films that are mainly special effects that stop being special.
  3. May 23, 2014
    I will preface this by saying i grew up watching the x-men on Saturdays in the 90s they were my favorite super heros. I liked pretty much all previous x men films except the 2nd Wolverine which was horrendous. Days of future past is a terrible movie. They are touting this as the best super hero movie ever don't believe the hype!! Yes it has all the xmen in it but they dont do much atI will preface this by saying i grew up watching the x-men on Saturdays in the 90s they were my favorite super heros. I liked pretty much all previous x men films except the 2nd Wolverine which was horrendous. Days of future past is a terrible movie. They are touting this as the best super hero movie ever don't believe the hype!! Yes it has all the xmen in it but they dont do much at all. This feels more like a 3rd Wolverine movie with cameos by the x men. Quicksilver was great there is a great action sequence with him but he is used once then forgot about. This tries to be first class 2 Wolverine 3 and xmen 4 all in one and turns out to be a convoluted mess. With way too much dialog and not enough action. Save ur money and red box it Expand
  4. May 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is just awful. I do not know why these directors keep making Wolverine the protagonist. I am sick of him already. The directors have so many other X-Men but Wolverine is the most popular and he is a cash cow. I guess it kind of makes sense with the plot in this one but still. He is bland and he hardly even fights. Mystique is alright in the film. She is basically there so Wolverine has something to do but it gets the job done. Magneto is complicated because you cannot tell what he is going to do. In one scene he is about to kill Mystique before she tries to kill the creator of the Sentinels but then later he tries to send a message to the world by trying to kill the very same person she was trying to kill. The best part of the movie is Quicksilver but he gets used for one or two scenes then the movie just drops him like his powers cannot help them in some other way, for instance, I don't know, finding Mystique! Also, Quicksilver mentions that his mom went out with a man who could control metal but then the subject never gets brought up again. I mean, come on! Why bring it up if you're not going to use it? Basically, mutants are being hunted, Wolverine is the only one who can save the day by going back in time and rounding up Charles and Magneto to team up but of course it is not going to be easy, even though Wolverine says that future is doomed if they don't work together. Magneto tries to do it his way because of angst and Charles is still upset that he took his girlfriend away. Big deal. There is also way too much talking and not enough action. Don't let the beginning of the movie fool you. There isn't going to be more action until near the end. I know that they are trying to set up the plot and go into some detail but jeez. I thought that Wolverine was going to do his taxes at some point. But I will say that Wolverine can hold his breath under water a really long time. And his body sure is tough enough to break metal right off even though it is pierced around his whole body...and well you get the idea. Maybe it is because it's a dream to him that it doesn't really affect him. Maybe... Also, I do not like how, at the end, Bryan Singer (The Director) basically says **** you to the first three X-Men movies and brought everyone back to life setting the movie up perfectly for a sequel. I guess Magneto isn't the main antagonist anymore? Or the fact that the future never happening maybe means that Magneto and Charles never get along. I don't know. That's up to the director of the next movie to decide. Wait, can't Charles just mind warp those future images into Magneto so that he remembers they are friends now? Oh well. Find out next week for the not so thrilling (not) conclusion! Expand
  5. Jun 7, 2014
    This movie was all over the place. It felt like a ginormous retcon that only ended at the same place we started all those years ago.....except Wolverine has a bit of grey in his hair while everyone else somehow looks exactly the same as they did in the first movie.

A lot of the mutant powers werent shown very well and were tweaked in order to fit whatever grand idea Singer had in his head. From Bishop's absorption power being turned into a glorified super soaker to QuickSilver being more of a time-controller than a mutant who could run faster than sound. A small gripe that slightly cheapened some scenes for me.

The plot, pacing, and characterization were what really brought the movie down for me. A lot of it was just sub-par.
  6. Jul 4, 2014
    terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible
  7. Jul 25, 2014
    cant stand singers xmen. I didnt even really think first class was that good. I feel its one of the worst of the marvel cannon of movies. The best moments are in the trailer and there is maybe one or two scenes that are good. Time to reboot Xmen and start from scratch.
  8. Jul 30, 2014
    BY FAR the worst xmen movie ever made the mistakes both logical and else where just all over the place it was just such a huge bummer and such a terrible movie that i dont even know where to begin to criticize ...
    But above all the sentinels kicking mutant as* 'es like its nothing is what killed it for me i mean come on ... Anyone who has watched the xmen - tas and read the xmen comics would say the same thing about this terrible excuse of an xmen movie my overview opinion is that marvel should stop making movies and ruining childhoods because this thing totally ruined mine ...
  9. May 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all i like all superhero movies and this is not different but i have to say this one is almost actionless like the wolverine. Two hours of talking is not what we expect from a x-men movie, right ? Sentinels are boosted too much that the destroyer is a kitten compared to them, i remember sentinels as huge silly robots from the animated series which i was a big fan of when i was much younger not like these invincible m...f... Seeing x-men were no match for them and die in pathetic ways was really annoying. As always they didn't use storm as they should, she is a f... demigod and i hate to see her so fragile all the time. And of course we saw rogue for ten seconds, she is one of my favorites i don't get why can't we see her flying and kicking ass. I always want longer movies but can't get enough thrill even in a 2 hours of "action" , i hope producers will do more to fill entire movies in the future because this franchise doesn't seem to make progress anymore. Expand
  10. May 28, 2014
    I'm at a total loss for the great reviews this film has received. Maybe I lack understanding as I never got into comic books. I did however enjoy X-Men and especially X2, but since then the ride has gotten a little bumpy. X3 was OK as was Origins. I quite liked First Class, but The Wolverine and Days Of Future Past have gone a long way towards sinking this franchise. I'm thinking if youI'm at a total loss for the great reviews this film has received. Maybe I lack understanding as I never got into comic books. I did however enjoy X-Men and especially X2, but since then the ride has gotten a little bumpy. X3 was OK as was Origins. I quite liked First Class, but The Wolverine and Days Of Future Past have gone a long way towards sinking this franchise. I'm thinking if you agree with what I've said so far, you're more than likely to agree with what's to come.

The story is dark, which doesn't necessarily make for a poor film, but even if you suspend your disbelief it's still a stretch to really get behind the plot. And when it's "resolved" all you've accepted in the X-Men universe is flipped on it's proverbial head. I was not satisfied with the end/resolution of this film, I did not find the story engaging, and I do not think it successfully added anything to the franchise. As a prequel, First Class did (for me, anyway) in that it explained the history to many of the relationships we've come to know and added new dimensions to them. Character development was successful and satisfying. Even though Origins took a hit at the time, I would argue that in spite of its many flaws, it also helped to explain some things and overall worked as a film.

Days Of Future Past did not. Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Halle Berry, and some other notable figures are mere bystanders. Right from the beginning you're transported into the way unfamiliar, and for my money, the unfamiliar leads to the downright bizarre and far fetched - even for a movie of this genre. And when the conflict is resolved, everything you've come to know may as well have been a dream sequence. I don't want to give anything away here as far as major plot lines, but I really thought this movie stunk. I wish I hadn't seen it and by about half way in was starting to look at the clock. Never a good omen, right? And perhaps the hardest pill to swallow is where they may go from here with the next movie. It just doesn't bode well if you're like me and found this movie so disappointing as you would prefer to scratch it off the list and start over from where they left off before things went downhill. I found The Wolverine to be a horrendous film, but at least it was complete in and of itself and didn't set the stage and tone for the whole franchise from that point onward.

Sorry to write such a bummer of a review for this movie as I had high hopes after the good reviews started to roll in. But I'd be lying through my teeth if I said anything other than that this is perhaps the worst X-Men film of the bunch.
  11. Sep 20, 2014
    Really nothing special. I watched this on the basis of the User Reviews here and was sorely disappointed. Terrible dialogue. Predictable story line. All of the big names (except Hugh Jackman) either sleep-walked through this film or overdid it.

Very comic-book like script. Even when you enter the X-Men world (with the leap from reality that it requires), it's still hard not to question the plausibility of a few of the scenes.

Don't bother watching. Another example of why TV is king at the moment.
  12. Jun 14, 2014
    I also fell asleep during this movie. It kept me entertained for about 10 minutes, but the rest was confusing and boring. I don't recommend this movie.
  13. Oct 5, 2014
    A film in which the retcon of the retcon of the retcon of the retcon is retconed, sees Adam Jenson straying outside his Deus Ex beginnings and accidentally getting Wolverine's powers, before being sent back in time, in mind only, by a mutant who has no relevant mutation to perform this task, so one must question the quality of her work, I suppose.
    Upon arriving in the 70s - 'cos
    Upon arriving in the 70s - 'cos everything in Hollywood has to flashback to the 70s: no other decade exists! - he promptly sets off on a jaunt to persuade Prof X and Magneto to play happy families and stop the ebul future that he is living through in which mutants are nearly extinct.
    Now, Prof X, having sunk into despair 'cos reasons, has started taking a drug made by Beast that was developed to suppress the X-gene, and in consuming said, he not only loses his powers but also regains the use of his legs - magical stuff this, that can repair a severed spinal column due to...errr...DNA! Yeah...
    Anyway, he buys Logan's story, with next to no proof, and heads off across America to break Irish Magneto out of a secret, concrete prison below the Pentagon with nothing more than his awesome sideburns and a kid who can move fast (cue: worst reveal of illegitimate child EVER), providing, at least, the only fun point of this film (slo-mo kitchen fight).
    So, with the band all back together, off they jog once more to stop Mystique from killing a bad man, thus undoing a chain of events that will lead to her DNA being used to destroy all of Mutantkind. Of course, Irish Magneto being the raging bloody idiot he is, has to sabotage every plan they come up with by randomly trying to murder first Mystique, then just about anyone else he does not like the look of.
    Of course, it all resolves at the last possible moment, just as the mutants from the future are set to be wiped away for good, with every important character already having being brutally murdered at least once, leaving us with what is quite possibly the biggest retcon in the history of cinema, with the director bringing back everyone who ever died and especially focusing on undoing all of X-Men 3. There there, Bryan Singer; you can dry your eyes now. All the mean and nasty stuff that someone else did to your work (ie the first two utterly rubbish films) is all forgotten now, and you can now move forward bravely, preparing to milk this franchise dry with your banal plots, tedious character work and immature humour.
    I know that XMen, at least from the point of view of the comics, is a total train-wreck, having retconned its whole universe on multiple occasions, but I just expect better of movies - or at least I used to. Clearly this is what everyone else wants from this medium, so it, along with gaming, are simply not for me any more.
  14. Jun 20, 2014
    I like Jennifer Lawrence, but as Mystique? Nay. Rebecca Romijn will always be Mystique. As for the rest of the movie, while it had some sweet spots, I felt the plot was convoluted and a fair bit unrealistic...even for a film based upon comic heroes.
  15. Oct 14, 2014
    Maybe because I was such a fan of the X-men as a kid, that a couple of the first bunch of X-men related movies entertained me. I thought the first one was pretty well made, but as is usually the case, the ensuing sequels and spinoffs were all down hill from there. Talk about a comic book movie taking itself so seriously! So much brooding, despair, hopelessness and misery in this one!Maybe because I was such a fan of the X-men as a kid, that a couple of the first bunch of X-men related movies entertained me. I thought the first one was pretty well made, but as is usually the case, the ensuing sequels and spinoffs were all down hill from there. Talk about a comic book movie taking itself so seriously! So much brooding, despair, hopelessness and misery in this one! Some more mutants who's powers seem to be mostly just looking weird? Evolved? This movie is worth the look for the 15 - 20% of the footage centered around action sequences and some new mutant power show offs. Take that away and it is your basic soulless blockbuster series annuity. Especially for the actors...lot's of them came back to life to collect residual income promised to them in Xmen;Days of past contract shortfalls. I was actually hoping the sentinels finished off all the mutants for good...to spare homo sapiens another movie! Fell asleep for a short portion, so I can't be sure, but it seemed like the sentinels delivered some of the most compelling lines of the whole script. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    May 23, 2014
    Ambitious, even audacious, the movie's mix of action and for-devotees-only intrigue can overwhelm, but there are moments of sheer virtuosity, too.
    He’s (Singer) reborn — deft, elegant, spring-heeled — in X-Men: Days of Future Past. The special effects don’t bog him down: They lift the movie to a surreal and more emotional dimension.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 22, 2014
    I couldn’t follow many of the ins and outs of the time-travel scenario, and I’m not altogether sure that the filmmakers could, either. It doesn’t really matter. It’s enough that the movie is fun. We shouldn’t also expect it to make sense.